Modern Monetary Theory

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Modern Monetary Theory

Postby Elvis » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:35 pm

Money is what we make it. Don't like how the state uses money? Reclaim the state.

I haven't read this book yet, but this is the idea:

https://www.plutobooks.com/978074533732 ... the-state/

Reclaiming the State
A Progressive Vision of Sovereignty for a Post-Neoliberal World

William Mitchell, Thomas Fazi

A provocative economic analysis which reconceptualises the nation state as a vehicle for progressive change.

The crisis of the neoliberal order has resuscitated a political idea widely believed to be consigned to the dustbin of history. Brexit, the election of Donald Trump, and the neo-nationalist, anti-globalisation and anti-establishment backlash engulfing the West all involve a yearning for a relic of the past: national sovereignty.

In response to these challenging times, economist William Mitchell and political theorist Thomas Fazi reconceptualise the nation state as a vehicle for progressive change. They show how despite the ravages of neoliberalism, the state still contains resources for democratic control of a nation's economy and finances. The populist turn provides an opening to develop an ambitious but feasible left political strategy.

Reclaiming the State offers an urgent, provocative and prescient political analysis of our current predicament, and lays out a comprehensive strategy for revitalising progressive economics in the 21st century.

“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby thrulookingglass » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:41 pm

Money has no value. Nation-states are fraudulent. Take what you need, need what you take. Yes, everything is free. Its a strange concept called sharing.

“So, let us not be blind to our differences--but let us also direct attention to our common interests and to the means by which those differences can be resolved. And if we cannot end now our differences, at least we can help make the world safe for diversity. For, in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this small planet. We all breathe the same air. We all cherish our children's future. And we are all mortal.” - JFK

I would accept no less than clean food, air, water, shelter, clothing and healthcare for all for absolutely no fees. You want to buy and sell the universe after that, I assure you all you will find is your own covetousness.
thrulookingglass

Postby Elvis » Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:33 pm

thrulookingglass wrote:Money has no value. Nation-states are fraudulent.

Modern money isn't supposed to have value. Money simply measures the value of tradable things and services.

If nation-states are fraudulent, what level of social organization is acceptable? Villages? Cities? The entire world?—with no accounting for regional differences? Or, should there just be no social organization? How would that work out?

Did you try my exercise of figuring out how you'd obtain your purchases without some kind of money system?

Take what you need, need what you take. Yes, everything is free. Its a strange concept called sharing.

Say someone across the country builds guitars, and they make a guitar that I want. Without a system of money, how do I obtain the guitar from the person who put materials and labor into making it?

Do I email them and ask them to "share" the guitar by giving it to me free? Do I just "take" it because I need it? (And yes the world absolutely needs guitars.)

If it's free, why wouldn't everyone go for that deal? How would that work out?

Maybe I have something to trade for the guitar—a nice bassoon. The guitar maker says "I don't need a bassoon." Then what?
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby Elvis » Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:53 pm

Why Deficits Hurt Banking Profits
Michael Hudson

http://michael-hudson.com/2017/03/why-d ... dhOTwqnE4I

Almost every year until the 1990s, the United States, like every other country in the world, increased its debt by running a budget deficit, by spending money into the economy for infrastructure, schooling, and roads. This is what enables economies to grow.

That stopped during the Clinton administration in the 1990s. At the end of the administration he fell for neoliberal theory that you should balance the budget, and he actually ran a budget surplus. So the government stopped spending money into the economy.

The result was the economy had to depend on banks to create the money to expand. If the government doesn’t create it, who will create the spending power? The answer was the banks.

Clinton did what he was told to do by the Secretary of the Treasury, Robert Rubin. In effect, his policy was: “Let the banks create all the money and charge interest instead of the government creating money by spending it like the greenbacks were spent.”
Elvis

Postby Elvis » Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:41 pm

thrulookingglass » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:18 pm wrote:

All is subterfuge. I don't agree with everything he says (currency backed by commodity/gold) but this is a good primer.

Griffin's entire thesis is that "creating money from nothing" is bad, and the system should use currency backed by commodity/gold. If you don't buy into that, there's nothing left.

His history of the Jekyll Island meeting is accurate enough, but his whole underlying economic model would be disastrous if put into practice.

Griffin's big worry is that banks and the federal government "create money out of nothing" but he makes no distinction between money creation by private banks and money creation by the federal government. That's a fatal (literally!) category error.

Griffin rightly decries the massive increase in personal debt (which went from around zero in the 1930s to $4trillion today), but he misses the fact that exploding personal debt is mainly a result of insufficient federal spending— not the cause. When the government fails to provide enough money for the economy, for-profit banks fill that void (see Michael Hudson above).

Griffin is correct about the New York Fed bank having too much influence, tending to protect the commercial banking center. This is actually under scrutiny right now, and there are serious calls to reduce the NY Fed's undue influence (not to mention the trend toward reducing the Fed's role in the economy, period).

Griffin complains, not realizing the irony, that "Governments hate money not backed by gold and silver because they can't manipulate it!" The irony is that one massive advantage of a fiat currency over commodity money is that fiat money deployment can be adjusted and targeted to match the needs of the economy. Using a commodity-backed currency is like tying a runner's ankles together—an artificial disability, crippling forward progress.

Griffin equates inflation with a tax—yet under this dreaded fiat system and large federal budget deficits, there's been no appreciable inflation for twenty years.

In short, fiat money created by the government is not the same as bank-loan credit money.

And finally, the hysterical arm-waving over federal spending is a longstanding pillar of the far right. Toward the end of the video, Griffin says,

"I couldn't have done it without...the John Birch Society" and its TRIM bulletins calling for a "STOP to government spending." The reality is that stopping government spending is the surest, fastest way to send the US and global economy into chaos and a massive, historic economic depression.
Elvis

Postby thrulookingglass » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:14 pm

thrulookingglass

Postby Elvis » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:04 am

Here you have it—open admissions that the public should never be made aware of the fiscal power of the Congress.

Last year we learned about economist James M. Buchanan's great influence advancing the neoliberal, rightwing economics of austerity, from the 1950s right up to mentoring Paul Ryan.

Another economist of great lasting influence is Paul Samuelson, "author of the best-selling economics textbook of all time: Economics: An Introductory Analysis, first published in 1948." His textbook, now in its 19th edition, is still being taught. (Our money system changed completely in 1971, but they forgot to change the textbooks.)

Here are both men allowing that the federal government, as the monopoly supplier of dollars, can spend at any level it chooses, without corresponding revenues—BUT warning that the public should never be permitted to understand that fact:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_pasHodJ-8

More about that: http://neweconomicperspectives.org/2010 ... myths.html

PAUL SAMUELSON ON DEFICIT MYTHS

TIME TO DROP THAT OLD-TIME RELIGION
Elvis

Postby Elvis » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:01 am

Trust me, this is good.

The best explanation of money ever:

https://www.npr.org/2020/01/10/79524668 ... ationships

There's a story you may have heard before about what the world look like before money was invented. It's a story built on the idea of barter.

"It goes something like this: in the beginning, before there was money, if I had something that you needed, I would approach you with that thing and see if you had anything that I needed," says anthropologist Bill Maurer.

"The problem is that when we look around the world and in the historical and archaeological record for instances of this kind of direct barter, unfortunately we don't find it."

This week on Hidden Brain, we challenge established ideas about the origins of currency, and highlight the connection between money and relationships.

"Society is a thing of ongoing continuous relationships. The settling and unsettling of debts, on and on and on and on and on."
Elvis

Postby thrulookingglass » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:11 am

thrulookingglass

Postby Elvis » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:55 am

^^^^ The spooky music is a bit much, but I'm working my way through the (2 hour) video and will have some notes sometime soon.
Elvis

Postby thrulookingglass » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:49 pm

I'd have posted the whole movie, but its only available in a pirated form. I guess the investors insist upon a massive compensation for their investment.
thrulookingglass

Postby stickdog99 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:21 pm

stickdog99

Postby Elvis » Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:53 pm

stickdog99 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:21 pm wrote:https://theconversation.com/bernie-sanders-economic-adviser-has-a-message-for-australia-we-might-just-need-130182

I saw that — it's a very good explanation of MMT. Plain, simple, no hyperbole, no distortion of what Kelton says. She had a very good reception in Australia, and all the press pieces I saw from down there were positive coverage.

I continue to study MMT, reading daily, and I follow a few of the MMT economists on Twitter. (That's pretty much all I use Twitter for, and I get some spillover re-tweetage on politics.) I don't post everything here that I see, the theory part becomes either redundant or too detailed. More interesting is the unfolding public and professional awareness of MMT, as in the story stickdog linked there.

Children, teenagers and bond traders seem to easily grasp MMT. The rest, most adult Americans, fight it. The brainwashing is strong.
Elvis

Postby identity » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:31 pm

Elvis » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:01 am wrote:Trust me, this is good.

The best explanation of money ever:

https://www.npr.org/2020/01/10/79524668 ... ationships

Thanks for that, Elvis.

I especially loved the anecdote at the end about Maurer and his partner having bought and then sharing a home with friends and their kid (and the anthropologist who wanted to move in to study them! lol).
We should never forget Galileo being put before the Inquisition.
It would be even worse if we allowed scientific orthodoxy to become the Inquisition.

Richard Smith, Editor in Chief of the British Medical Journal 1991-2004,
in a published letter to Nature
identity

Postby Elvis » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:00 pm

Fantastic article from New York magazine. Could go in the Buttigieg thread but is not really about him. Many good links in original.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/02 ... erous.html

Feb. 10, 2020
Pete Buttigieg’s Vow to Cut the Deficit Is Fiscally Irresponsible

By Eric Levitz

“Fiscally responsible” is one of the more Orwellian phrases in American politics. Lawmakers earn that coveted title by affirming the three tenets of the Beltway’s official budgetary orthodoxy: (1) Deficits are inherently undesirable, (2) all new spending (on things that cannot be used to kill foreigners) should be fully offset by new taxes, and (3) reducing America’s existing national debt should be a top-tier policy priority.

But these premises are rooted less in economic science than popular superstition. And, over the past decade, our political class’s indulgence of the public’s mythical intuitions about the national debt has imposed gargantuan costs on our collective prosperity. In the present context, validating the electorate’s economically illiterate fears of public debt is roughly as “responsible” as affirming the anti-vaccine movement’s conspiracy theories about the CDC.

Alas, Pete Buttigieg appears hell-bent on undermining our herd immunity to deficit hysteria. As NBC News reports:

Pete Buttigieg called on Democrats to get more serious about lowering the national debt, portraying himself as the biggest fiscal hawk in the presidential field and taking a shot at chief New Hampshire rival Bernie Sanders for being too spendthrift.

… “I think the time has come for my party to get a lot more comfortable owning this issue, because I see what’s happening under this president — a $1 trillion deficit — and his allies in Congress do not care. So we have to do something about it,” Buttigieg, the former mayor of South Bend, Indiana, said in a packed middle school gym, drawing cheers … “It’s not fashionable in progressive circles to talk too much about the debt, largely because of the irritation to the way it’s been used as an excuse against investment. But if we’re spending more and more on debt service now, it makes it harder to invest in infrastructure and health and safety net that we need right now,” he said. “And also this expansion, which I think of as, by the way, just the 13th inning of the Obama economic expansion. It isn’t going to go on forever.”

As far as paeans to “fiscal responsibility” go, Buttigieg’s isn’t exceptionally demagogic. And the former mayor is far from alone in endorsing the fiction that deficits are inherently bad; even Sanders officially maintains that his programs must be fully “paid for” and that Trump’s expansion of the national debt is cause for outrage.

But Buttigieg is exceptional in campaigning on a critique of progressives’ supposed indifference to deficits. And his remarks in New Hampshire Sunday affirmed dubious and dangerous ideas about the national debt. Specifically, Buttigieg suggests that Trump’s spending spree means the next Democratic president will “need to do something” about deficit reduction; that America’s rising debt-service obligations make it hard for our country to invest in infrastructure and the safety net; and that the looming threat of the next recession makes it all the more imperative for Democrats to embrace fiscal responsibility. The first two assertions fly in the face of empirical economic evidence, while Buttigieg’s third point actually underscores the hazards of endorsing deficit hawkishness.

To see why this is the case, we need to step back and take a broader look at how the politics and economics of public debt have evolved over the past decade.

In the wake of the 2008 financial crisis, governments across the West effectively conducted a natural experiment around the following question: Was the optimal policy for alleviating recessions to compensate for a shortfall in private demand with deficit-financed public spending (as conventional, Keynesian wisdom held), or could governments attract a surge in private investment by cutting spending and raising taxes, thereby gaining investors’ confidence in their fiscal probity?

The results were unambiguous. Nations like the United States, which embraced Keynesian stimulus, enjoyed stronger recoveries than European nations that pursued the phantom promise of “expansionary austerity.” Critically, the deficit hawks’ position did not merely fail in practice, but also in theory: The economic research that had lent some credibility to the concept of “expansionary austerity” did not withstand scrutiny; one profoundly influential study — which posited that once a nation’s public debt rises to equal 90 percent of its GDP, further deficit-spending will produce economic stagnation — proved to be premised on Excel-formula error.

And yet, even in the United States — where top economic policy-makers did not fall for the austerity fad — fear of the public’s superstitious anxieties about unbalanced budgets preempted a rational response to the Great Recession. In late 2008, Obama economic adviser Christy Romer calculated that offsetting the economy’s shortfall in private demand for goods and services — and, thus, returning the economy to full employment by 2011 — would require the federal government to expand the national debt by about $1.8 trillion over two years. Romer’s superior, Larry Summers, vetoed her proposal — not because he believed her estimate of the output gap to be inaccurate, but because he deemed it politically infeasible.

Keynesian macroeconomics is difficult for ordinary voters (and/or senators) to understand. By contrast, the notion that it is bad for any entity to spend more money than it collects is intuitive, and resonant with personal experience. A large percentage of the American people have either been debt-burdened at one point in their lives, or have had a friend or family member whose life was derailed by excessive borrowing. Thus, fallacious analogies between household debt and national debt have broad resonance, as they render economic downturns intellectually and morally legible to lay voters: Your cousin fell on hard times because he borrowed more than he earned; now, the same thing is happening to our country.

But when politicians acquiesce to this folk wisdom (and/or the reactionary special interests who reinforce it), they commit acts of gross cowardice and irresponsibility. In deference to the congressional Democrats’ terror of large numbers, the Obama administration proposed a stimulus package that it knew was too small. This, combined with the administration’s retreat to austerity following the Republican Party’s triumph in the 2010 midterms, led the United States to reduce annual spending between 2009 and 2016, even as private investment and spending remained inadequate for bringing economic growth back in line with its prerecession trajectory.

That significance of that last point is worth unpacking. Between 1947 and 2007, the U.S. economy fell into recession ten times. During each of these downturns, America’s GDP — the total value of goods and services produced by the economy — dipped far below the level it had been on pace to reach before the hard times set in. But none of those recessions permanently reduced our economy’s productive capacity. And so, when the recovery arrived, America always enjoyed a period of accelerated growth that allowed it to reach — and exceed — its prerecession potential. In all but one of these cases, the arrival of catch-up growth was abetted by a steady increase in government spending throughout the recovery period.

But we never caught back up after 2008. And, as the Economic Policy Institute persuasively argues, our government’s aberrant decision to cut spending is largely responsible for that fact. “If government spending had increased by 11.7 percent, as it did during the Bush recovery of 2001–2007, the present expansion, which was constrained by a 6.1 percent decline in government spending, would easily have exceeded the size of the Bush expansion,” EPI economist Robert E. Scott writes. “If government spending had increased by 33.5 percent, as it did during the Reagan recovery (1982–1990), then the Obama recovery would surely rank as one of the strongest on record.”

The costs of our government’s failure to expeditiously plug the giant demand hole that the Great Recession ripped into our economy are myriad and extravagant. It can be measured in trillions of dollars worth of lost output, and the incalculable psychological, emotional, and financial tolls that needless unemployment and underemployment took on America’s working people.

Critically, the past decade has not only exposed the insanity of slashing public spending in periods of recession or fragile recovery. It has also revealed that the downside risks of running high deficits in ordinary times are much lower than hawks had led us to believe. Between 2000 and 2019, the U.S. went from running a $236 billion budget surplus to a $984 billion budget deficit. Had you described this fiscal trajectory to a mainstream economist circa the turn of the century, he or she would have likely predicted that such a development would doom the United States to devastatingly high inflation and borrowing costs. Instead, we’ve seen the opposite. Thanks, in part, to growing global demand for safe assets like U.S. treasury bonds, our government can borrow money at historically low rates, while consumer price inflation has remained lower than the Federal Reserve deems desirable.

In these circumstances, refusing to make high-return investments in infrastructure, early childhood education — and above all, carbon-emissions reduction and climate readiness — unless Congress can find mutually agreeable revenue hikes to offset those investments is the opposite of responsible. Putting deficit reduction on a list of top policy priorities for the next president, meanwhile, would be madness. But don’t take my word for it; take former IMF chief economist Olivier Blanchard’s. Last year, Blanchard authored a paper arguing that nations should not make a priority of deficit reduction, so long as the interest rate they can borrow at is comfortably below their rate of GDP growth. Which is to say: If your capacity to service debt is growing faster than your debt, then your debt is not a big problem. Yes, America’s national debt has been steadily rising and is now an intimidatingly high number; but the other side of our national balance sheet is growing faster.

For these reasons, Buttigieg’s assertion that our current debt obligations limit our capacity to invest in infrastructure is false, as is his suggestion that the next Democratic administration must “do something about” Trump’s deficits. His final point about the expansion’s eventual end is somewhat ambiguous. If his intention was to say that the United States would be better off forgoing giant tax cuts for the wealthy in times of expansion, so as to preserve more fiscal capacity for stimulus during the next downturn, he’d have a defensible argument in economic terms. But politically, the fact that the present expansion is likely to end at some point only underscores the irresponsibility of Buttigieg’s debt fearmongering.

When the next recession hits, the obstacle to an adequate policy response will not be Congress’s excessive tolerance for deficit spending. And this will be especially true if a Democrat is in the White House when growth turns negative (for some strange reason, Republicans are consistently more hostile toward the creation of public debt when they are out of power). One can raise reasonable qualms about Modern Monetary Theory, or insist that some on the far left have taken deficit dovishness to indefensible extremes. But in Washington, the conventional wisdom about debts and deficits remains drastically more hawkish than the conventional wisdom among mainstream economists. For this reason, any politician who promulgates the idea that Congress has been excessively open to deficit spending over the past decade — rather than catastrophically averse to such spending — is making it less likely that our government will do what’s required to avert needless destruction to our economy and working class when this long expansion finally expires.

Donald Trump’s $1.5 trillion tax cut was a scandalous waste of our nation’s borrowing capacity, which could have been more beneficially invested in a wide array of public needs. And yet the fact that the current president’s giant deficits have not brought runaway inflation, or high interest rates, or a slowdown in growth — but, rather, historically low unemployment and a resilient expansion — underscores the scandalousness of the fiscal regime that preceded his own. It is now clear that the United States could have easily afforded to run higher deficits than it did during the Obama years. Which means that our political leaders subjected the American people to years of unnecessary economic hardship for no good reason, while the Democratic Party needlessly preserved $1.5 trillion in fiscal space (that could have been used to accelerate clean-energy development or eradicate child poverty) for Obama’s Republican successor to fill with giveaways to the rich.

Any politician who does not understand that this is the true lesson of Trump’s deficits — or else, who pretends not to understand in deference to popular prejudice — has no business being our next president.

Elvis

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion