Modern Monetary Theory

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Modern Monetary Theory

Postby Belligerent Savant » Mon May 30, 2022 2:48 am

I fear merely relaying this here will solidify me as the black sheep among a certain segment of readership. Ah well. It's time to challenge. All of it.

Club des Cordeliers
@cordeliers

Short thread on the right-wing origins of MMT and Stephanie Kelton, who keeps turning up like a bad digital penny as the ruling class pushes fashonomics.

@cordeliers

The MMT scam paints itself in "progressive" hues, but it's rooted in right-wing scheming. A recent NYT story reveals that Stephanie Kelton was indoctrinated in MMT theory by the hedge fund manager Warren Mosler.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/06/busi ... elton.html

The scheme was hatched by Donald Rumsfeld with the reactionary Reaganite economist Arthur Laffer, who advised Mosler to conceal his reactionary views and infiltrate the leftoid wing of economics.

https://criticalfinance.org/2019/11/22/ ... -politics/

Looking back, you can see that the whole point of MMT was to attack the working class through hyperinflation and force everyone into UBI slavery.

Presumably people like Kelton, despite their "neo-Keynesian" schtick, were smart enough to realize that MMT would result in hyperinflation. That was the true goal.

They couldn't get the Dems to embrace MMT as such; instead they leveraged the corona madness - and now Putin hysteria - to sneak it in the back door. Laffer must be pleased. It's Reaganomics on steroids.

https://twitter.com/cordeliers/status/1 ... bpSi16WZOA
Belligerent Savant

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Elvis » Mon May 30, 2022 7:04 pm

I'm familiar with @cordeliers, he's a regular fixture shill for rightwing economics, and no serious "challenge" to MMT. The absurdities quoted here are a strange stew of gross mischaracterizations, unsupported assertions and 'Austrian' arm-waving—all serving conservative "trickle down" ideology.

For starters, this bit is just a fabricated narrative, completely mischaracterizing the relationships:

The scheme was hatched by Donald Rumsfeld with the reactionary Reaganite economist Arthur Laffer, who advised Mosler to conceal his reactionary views and infiltrate the leftoid wing of economics.

A "scheme hatched by Donald Rumsfeld" and "the right-wing origins of MMT" is just laughable. Rumsfeld sent Mosler to see Art Laffer, who helped Mosler prepare his paper, Soft Currency Economics for publication.

With my new understanding, I was keenly aware of the
risks to the welfare of our nation. I knew that the larger federal
deficits were what was fixing the broken economy, but I
watched helplessly as our mainstream leaders and the entire
media clamored for fiscal responsibility (lower deficits) and
were prolonging the agony.

It was then that I began conceiving the academic paper
that would become Soft Currency Economics. I discussed
it with my previous boss, Ned Janotta, at William Blair.
He suggested I talk to Donald Rumsfeld
(his college
roommate, close friend and business associate), who
personally knew many of the country’s leading economists,
about getting it published. Shortly after, I got together
with “Rummy” for an hour during his only opening that
week. We met in the steam room of the Chicago Racquet
Club and discussed fiscal and monetary policy. He sent me
to Art Laffer who took on the project and assigned Mark
McNary to co-author, research and edit the manuscript,
which was completed in 1993

Soft Currency Economics remains at the head of the
“mandatory readings” list at http://www.moslereconomics.com
where I keep a running blog. It describes the workings of
the monetary system, what’s gone wrong and how gold
standard rhetoric has been carried over to a nonconvertible
currency with a floating exchange rate and is undermining
national prosperity.

p.98 http://moslereconomics.com/wp-content/p ... s/7DIF.pdf

I surmise that Rumsfeld then ran to explain Mosler's insights to his best buddy, Dick Cheney—who immediately grasped the logic and used it to jack up military/security state budgets without causing inflation. And thus Cheney's famous remark to Paul O'Neill, that "Reagan proved that deficits don't matter." The phrase "deficits don't matter" came from Cheney—not from Mosler, nor Kelton, who is quick to say that "deficits matter—just not in the way we usually think about them."

As for Art Laffer, Mosler unpacks a 2009 WSJ article by Laffer here: http://moslereconomics.com/2009/06/10/l ... ion-piece/

This is covered earlier in this thread
I wrote
"But in public at least, Laffer to this day sings the "deficits are bad" tune. Why? Maybe he and Rumsfeld just like the "lower taxes" part.

The thing about Art Laffer is, Art Laffer is a brand and people are still paying him good money to predict the sky is falling with every dollar spent by government. It should be clear that it's Laffer's model that's ideological.

Looking back, you can see that the whole point of MMT was to attack the working class through hyperinflation and force everyone into UBI slavery.

:lol: This is seriously disconnected from reality—but then, so is orthodox economics!
For one thing, not one MMT scholar who I know of advocates a UBI. This is typical mischaracterization by shills for the mainstream and paranoid, misinformed "Jekyll Island" hyperlibertarians who hyperventilate about "hyperinflation" using a completely discredited monetarist framing (see "The Failure of Monetarism").

We see similar but opposite—and equally laughable—claims from both the right and the mainstream, ostensibly 'liberal' Democrats, who try to cast MMT as a Leftist Plot determined to drag us all into Communism! (I actually had this "debate" recently; their evidences failed so completely, they conceded the point and never mentioned it again.)

They couldn't get the Dems to embrace MMT as such; instead they leveraged the corona madness - and now Putin hysteria - to sneak it in the back door. Laffer must be pleased. It's Reaganomics on steroids.

This is just plain backwards. If anyone cares to show how MMT=Reaganomics then give it a shot. The assertion must be dishonest, but then it's entirely possible—and consistent with most critics of MMT—that the writer hasn't actually read any MMT literature. Rather, it's a game of "telephone" wherein someone whispers a brief description to another, who repeats it to another, who repeats it to another, and so on; what comes out at the end... I'll just leave that as a metaphor.

Reminder: MMT is a descriptive analysis of the money system, and as a school of thought it espouses precisely two policy prescriptions: the job guarantee—because employment is the main stabilizer in the economy—and "ZIRP," a permanent zero-interest policy rate (the rate the central bank charges banks).

MMT's key contribution, imo, is debunking the myths of neoclassical economics—a bogus "science" founded on bad assumptions, magical thinking, and plain ol' rightwing ideology.

Belligerent Savant » Sun May 29, 2022 11:48 pm wrote:.

I fear merely relaying this here will solidify me as the black sheep among a certain segment of readership. Ah well. It's time to challenge. All of it.

Club des Cordeliers
@cordeliers

Short thread on the right-wing origins of MMT and Stephanie Kelton, who keeps turning up like a bad digital penny as the ruling class pushes fashonomics.

@cordeliers

The MMT scam paints itself in "progressive" hues, but it's rooted in right-wing scheming. A recent NYT story reveals that Stephanie Kelton was indoctrinated in MMT theory by the hedge fund manager Warren Mosler.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/06/busi ... elton.html

https://criticalfinance.org/2019/11/22/ ... -politics/

Presumably people like Kelton, despite their "neo-Keynesian" schtick, were smart enough to realize that MMT would result in hyperinflation. That was the true goal.

https://twitter.com/cordeliers/status/1 ... bpSi16WZOA
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby Elvis » Mon May 30, 2022 7:16 pm

market forces shrink.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby Belligerent Savant » Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:10 am

when you type:

I'm familiar with @cordeliers, he's a regular fixture shill for rightwing economics

can you cite a few examples of this? I'm a layman at best on this specific topic, so can't put my finger on what'd be considered "rightwing economics" nowadays.

I mean, it wasn't long ago that civil liberties and bodily autonomy -- with no qualifiers -- were fully "left wing" talking points (and by that I mean, the "left" at one point fully advocated FOR the protection of civil liberties and bodily autonomy in all cases), so it may be the parameters of "rightwing economics" have similarly shifted over the last ~5 or so years, depending on the perspective of whoever's currently defining these constructs.

Or perhaps more to the point: "left wing" economics in 2022 may be differently defined than in years past. Or segments of the Left have yet to fully absorb how concepts like UBI -- when considering a more cynical perspective which includes malevolent usage of new tech such as centralized blockchain/currencies and smart contracts -- can usher in dystopian social credit systems decidedly not beneficial (indeed, it'd be a form of bondage/serfdom) to the working classes/majority.
Belligerent Savant

Postby Elvis » Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:53 pm

Orthodox, mainstream economics has been right-wing in nature since neoclassical "monetarism" and related ideas gained dominance in the 1970s. "Neoclassical" economics was developed in the 1880s as an embellishment on Adam's Smith's "classical" philosophy of 'rational self interest'. But where Smith recognized an innate virtue in people and saw the economy as the means to a social good, neoclassical theorists (it's all theory) omit from their models society itself—they recognize only an ideal individual—leaving no room room for any conception of a social good. Further, they replace Smith's assumption of good faith actors with "bad faith economics" where agents work against themselves. To a great extent they used mathematics to "prove" the validity of their models, and while the math itself may be unimpeachable, if the model starts with a bad or false assumption (like "economic man" and "invisible hand" or "natural rate of unemployment" theories), the results will bear no relation to reality.

On top of all this, orthodox neoclassical economics doesn't account for the existence of money, it just assumes the existence of money in society, vaguely identified as "savings," with no recognition of how it got there. It treats money as any other commodity—and a private one at that: there's no acknowledgement of, no room for collective public action. They paint over the fact that money is a creature of government, created to achieve desired public outcomes.

I've come to lump all of these under the heading "trickle down" economics, which of course is a euphemism for "trickle-up" economics. In that respect—enriching the financial elite and keeping workers powerless—neoclassical economics has been quite successful. As a means of achieving an equitable, prosperous, healthy society, not so much.

All the flavors of orthodox economics—monetarism, "Public Choice Theory," "New Classical Macroeconomics," "rational expectations," various "general equilibrium" theories and so on—are founded on such neoclassical principles which invariably attempt to balance the economy on the backs of workers. An unequal equilibrium to be achieved on the backs of workers. Corporate/employer market power growth on the backs of workers. Inflation controlled on the backs of workers. No society, no public good, just an atomized, "perfectly rational" individual acting in bad faith. It's all based on imaginary agents and magical thinking, serving a very right-wing, pro-business/anti-labor ideology.

I'm not sure there is any meaningful "left economics" in the US, unless it's Keynes, whom the neoclassicists have mostly displaced with their bogus economic "science." The establishment of the "Nobel" prize in economics granted the neoclassical resurgence the scientific legitimacy it needed to maintain credibility. The formulations are fundamentally no different today than in 2015, or even in 1980.

The most prominent advocates of a UBI are libertarian billionaire elites like Peter Thiel, who see a UBI as guaranteed income for themselves. A UBI assures timely rentier payments to the owner class ("you'll rent everything and you'll be happy). There's nothing wrong with income support itself when it's needed, but a system that encourages people not to work is a bit self-defeating, imo. That's one reason a job guarantee is far superior as an economic stabilizer.

I highly recommend the book, The Nobel Factor for unpacking the decidedly rightwing neoclassical models that continue to rule economic thought and public policy—and deliver the unsurprising results: chronic austerity, private indebtedness, employment precarity, education deficits, worse health, and gaping inequalities.

A key historical document is the Powell Memo, which set out the Big Business war plan to take over the field of economics, kill labor power and leech maximum profits from the working classes. Jerks like Milton Friedman and James Buchanan, just to name two, were rewarded for their service. A generation of lawmakers, academics, journalists and voters got bamboozled.

Belligerent Savant » Tue May 31, 2022 10:10 pm wrote:when you type:

I'm familiar with @cordeliers, he's a regular fixture shill for rightwing economics

can you cite a few examples of this? I'm a layman at best on this specific topic, so can't put my finger on what'd be considered "rightwing economics" nowadays.

I mean, it wasn't long ago that civil liberties and bodily autonomy -- with no qualifiers -- were fully "left wing" talking points (and by that I mean, the "left" at one point fully advocated FOR the protection of civil liberties and bodily autonomy in all cases), so I'd imagine how "rightwing economics" may have been defined in, say, 2015 may not be the same as how it's defined in 2022.

Or perhaps more to the point: "left wing" economics in 2022 may be differently defined than in years past. Or maybe segments of the Left have yet to fully absorb how concepts like UBI -- when considering a more cynical perspective which includes malevolent usage of new tech such as centralized blockchain/currencies and smart contracts -- can usher in dystopian social credit systems decidedly not beneficial (indeed, it'd be a form of bondage/serfdom) to the working classes/majority.
Elvis

Postby Belligerent Savant » Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:28 am

Elvis » Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:53 pm wrote:
The most prominent advocates of a UBI are libertarian billionaire elites like Peter Thiel, who see a UBI as guaranteed income for themselves. A UBI assures timely rentier payments to the owner class ("you'll rent everything and you'll be happy). There's nothing wrong with income support itself when it's needed, but a system that encourages people not to work is a bit self-defeating, imo. That's one reason a job guarantee is far superior as an economic stabilizer.

I can't agree with the above notion Re: prominent advocates, at least not as a wholesale generalization. The most prominent advocates of UBI are not [described] libertarians, or at a minimum, certainly not relegated to so-called libertarians alone.

A few samples:

from Britain -
Abstract

Recent years have seen an explosion of interest in basic income proposals. While this is not an entirely new phenomenon, what is different about the current discourse is the Left’s wholehearted embrace of what has traditionally been seen as a conservative social policy in Britain. It is my contention that UBI is potentially a dangerous policy for the Left, in that it risks undermining the – admittedly imperfect – welfare protections already in existence. This paper draws on Marxist political economy in order to demonstrate how the emancipatory potential of UBI has been somewhat overstated by some of its Leftist supporters, while a discussion of the neutrality of the State is important in considering how this ‘shape-shifting social policy' is likely to be implemented in practice.

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/1 ... 3221092151

Canada:
Liberal delegates to the party's policy convention have overwhelmingly endorsed a resolution calling for the establishment of a universal basic income (UBI) in Canada, while also rejecting a call to hike the capital gains tax.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/libera ... -1.5982862

Trends revealed by the UBI Poll Tracker

The UBI Poll Tracker reveals remarkable variation in public opinion around basic income, across countries, demographic groups, time, and question framing.

Perhaps the most consistent source of variation is political ideology: across countries and polls, liberals support UBI more than conservatives.

https://www.ubicenter.org/poll-tracker

That said, it's likely a fair amount, if not a majority, of commoners (and/or those outside the sphere of influence and campaigns) in favor of UBI aren't aware of how it can be utilized as a system of control, particularly the UBI models involving blockchain tech/smart contracts [which trend lines indicate as the likely framework to be implemented].

Among 'big players', ostensible support comes from across overt political affiliations:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_a ... sic_income
Belligerent Savant

Postby Elvis » Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:21 pm

Belligerent Savant wrote:Among 'big players', ostensible support comes from across overt political affiliations

Yes, note most of the tech giants are on board. They know that they'll get the money AND not have to provide it themselves with better wages. That's another problem with UBI: it gives permission to keep wages low.

What's amazing to me is that the serious public-minded opiners can endorse a UBI yet bristle at idea of the FJG (job guarantee).

This is how I see a UBI:

UBI not what you think.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Elvis

Postby Belligerent Savant » Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:36 pm

Indeed. And if UBI is coupled with the centralized digital ledgers as alluded upthread, it'll be a form of captivity as well (your image already hints at that)
Belligerent Savant

Postby Grizzly » Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:31 pm

Chamath Palihapitiya warns about an upcoming downturn in the markets that could last as long as another 18-24 months with no bottom in sight.

Chamath Palihapitiya is a Canadian-American billionaire venture capitalist, engineer, SPAC sponsor, and the founder & CEO of Social Capital. He was an early senior executive at Facebook, working at the company from 2007 to 2011, before its IPO.
“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Postby Elvis » Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:13 pm

Chamath Palihapitiya is a piece of work, a billionaire grifter with a degree in electrical engineering. He sucks dollars from the government teat in the process of misleading investors. His Social Capital company "has made investments in three areas: climate science, life sciences and biotechnology, and the decentralization of the digital economy through platforms such as blockchain, crypto, and digital assets. That last item, along with Palihapitiya's fraudulent foray into health finance, says quite about about his conception of money, and, ironically, what constitutes "fake" money.

Palihapitiya's soundbite description of Modern Monetary Theory is sadly typical of comments by people who make it obvious that they haven't read any MMT literature. They just regurgitate blurbs by others who haven't read any MMT. It gets old.

First, Palihapitiya calls MMT "a body of pseudoscientific economists." This characterization has at least two problems: first, he's ignorant of the fact that MMT is a multidisciplinary field, not limited to economists. Second, and worse, he implies that orthodox economics—with its innumerable variations on "Invisible Hand" mythologies, the surreal "rational expectations" of a Perfect Agent, or a "natural" rate of joblessness that magically prevents "rational" market price setters from raising prices—is not pseudoscientific. Perhaps MMT's greatest contribution, as a body of thought, has been helping to expose these incoherencies in mainstream "neoclassical" economics, which is itself an "ideology cloaked in the veneer of science."

Here's how Palihapitiya decribes MMT:

[MMT] basically says, "Hey, you can keep printing money, and introducing it into the economy, to smooth things out and actually drive long-term growth."

That's it. Does MMT say that? Why wouldn't MMT say that? It's fucking obvious. Money is issued into the economy—he doesn't say by whom, just "you"—and it "smooths things out" and drives long-term growth. Is there something controversial about that?

Palihapitiya's problem is, he omits half of the story—when money is "unprinted," destroyed, either by debt repayment or payment of federal taxes (which is 'technically' also a debt obligation).

The monetarists of the 1970s-'80s found out that it was impossible to measure "the money supply" because it's a constantly moving target. Money is continually created and destroyed in the contracting and fulfillment of ever-shifting credit relationships.

Palihapitiya seems confused about the Fed's QE actions, and what they mean in terms of "money." Quantitative Easing increases bank reserves, aka settlement balances, which don't get spent into the economy. It's a swap—there's no change in the private bank's financial position. I think that's the money that Palihapitiya says "shouldn't have been there," but that's not clear, and it's not clear that he knows. The "full reserves" were supposed to encourage banks to lend more, but they didn't; they did make banks much less likely to run out of reserves, which I guess is better than a massive liquidity crisis. Palihapitiya doubtless doesn't know that pretty much all the MMT people said at the time that QE was a pointless exercise.
Two times, the video flashed images of the dreaded "Debt Clock"—that grotesque propaganda scoreboard spawned & funded by another "trickle-down" loving billionaire, Pete Peterson. I don't think Palihapitiya makes a distinction between fiscal policy and monetary policy, but that's expected, because mainstream economics weirdly ignores fiscal policy as an economic tool, placing control of the economy with monetary policy and the Fed—whose only tools are the interest rate and buying financial assets. Hopefully the Debt Clock is a dead issue here, because that "Your Family Owes $_______" nonsense is pure propganda bullshit scare tactics.

This is all pretty hilarious coming from a billionaire who doesn't realize that his profits come from federal deficit spending. And a lot of his profit, the Medicare money, is direct from the government.

On Russia and sanctions, etc., I agree with most of what Palihapitiya said.

On CPI measurement, I agree that more precise data seems available. Palihapitiya says rent is the #1 inflation leader—will he advocate rent control or stricter regulation of real estate speculation? He says there's some tipping point when "prices go up but earnings don't"—but market setters' earnings are at record highs; the tipping point will more likely be when consumer debt devours all disposable incomes.

He's right on about the private equity problem, but according to the Internets, he's part of it. :shrug:

Palihapitiya isn't critiquing Modern Monetary Theory, he's critiquing something else.

Grizzly » Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:31 pm wrote:

Chamath Palihapitiya warns about an upcoming downturn in the markets that could last as long as another 18-24 months with no bottom in sight.

Chamath Palihapitiya is a Canadian-American billionaire venture capitalist, engineer, SPAC sponsor, and the founder & CEO of Social Capital. He was an early senior executive at Facebook, working at the company from 2007 to 2011, before its IPO.
Elvis

Postby Grizzly » Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:11 pm

Thanks Elvis, I knew you'd set it straight. I needed a ELI5, and you came through. I had thought Palihapitiya, was prolly a grifter, just needed confirmation. And also thought you and perhaps other's, would wanna have his take on your radars. I'm sam sausage-head when it comes to finance, all I know is that Congress showers the Pentagon with cash while Americans pinch pennies, and many of us are hurting out here. Including myself.
“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Postby Elvis » Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:20 pm

Grizzly wrote: all I know is that Congress showers the Pentagon with cash while Americans pinch pennies, and many of us are hurting out here.

I agree wholeheartedly—there's always money for war and funneling it into profit margins. And thanks for posting Palihapitiya and stimulating discussion (even if it's mostly me ranting).
Elvis

Postby Belligerent Savant » Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:23 am

Has anyone had a chance to read through this, or have comments on it?

(I generally loathe framing that includes descriptors such as "Far [Left or Right]" in any publication. It's a blatant attempt to signal and plant seeds for certain sentiments, but that aside, MMT is broadly on the defense of late due to current market conditions)

https://www.progressivepolicy.org/press ... cticality/

PPI REPORT DECONSTRUCTS MODERN MONETARY THEORY AND DEMANDS ADVOCATES PROVE ECONOMIC AND POLITICAL PRACTICALITY

A new report from the Progressive Policy Institute’s Center for Funding America’s Future dives into the economic and political debate around Modern Monetary Theory (MMT), looking closely at the challenges MMT advocates would have in delivering on their goals without drastically harming our economy. The report, authored by Dr. Eric Leeper of the University of Virginia, is titled “Modern Monetary Theory: The End of Policy Norms as We Know Them?”.

“Dynamic democracies should periodically reconsider existing policy norms to evaluate if they continue to serve policy goals well. If MMT seeks to change long-standing policy norms, the onus is on its advocates to persuade us that old norms do not serve us well and to communicate precisely what new norms will prevail and how they will affect the economy’s performance,” writes Eric Leeper in the report. “Until MMTers are ready to take these steps, their ideas must remain in the realm of guess and conjecture. In the meantime, we should apply to economic policy the basic principle we apply to health policy: follow the science. Economic science, such as it is, provides no support for MMT’s central claims.”

“For years, advocates of MMT have argued that policymakers should only care about budget deficits when the economy is facing inflation,” said Ben Ritz, Director of PPI’s Center for Funding America’s Future. “Now that inflation has finally materialized, they’ve moved the goalposts and left policymakers seeking answers about what to do in response. Dr. Leeper’s thorough deconstruction of MMT makes clear that they have none to offer. Democrats should reject this ‘supply-side economics’ of the left that is nothing more than a recipe for economic misery.”

For several years, politicians and leaders on the Far Left argued that a monetarily sovereign nation, like the United States, can simply print more currency needed to purchase goods and services for its constituents. As more exorbitant expensive spending programs were introduced and pitched to the American public, politicians often leaned on MMT to ensure voters that the economy could remain strong, even with deficit-financed spending. The only constraint on deficit spending, these advocates argued, was inflation.

This report breaks down several flaws in the economic thought behind MMT, including the constraints that ultimately finite resources place on governments, the inability of MMT to explain the relationship between inflation and demand when an economy is operating below its resource constraint, how it would overcome the structural and political challenges that prevent elected lawmakers from responsively managing inflation, and the indiscriminate approach it takes to the impact of different tax and spending policies, among others.

Mr. Leeper calls for the advocates of MMT to persuade the economic community that the standing norms of economic theory no longer serve us well, and to thoroughly evaluate the effects of the new economic theory with an eye on the practical and political implications of the proposal. He calls for the economic community, economic journalists, and policymakers to pause on active or passive exaltation of MMT until this evaluation is made, and continue to follow the science on economic theory and history – which unwaveringly points away from MMT’s fiscal financing plans.

Read the report here:

http://www.progressivepolicy.org/public ... -know-them
Belligerent Savant

Postby Elvis » Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:12 pm

Belligerent Savant wrote:MMT is broadly on the defense of late due to current market conditions)

https://www.progressivepolicy.org/press ... cticality/

PPI REPORT DECONSTRUCTS MODERN MONETARY THEORY AND DEMANDS ADVOCATES PROVE ECONOMIC AND POLITICAL PRACTICALITY

Yep, there's been a spate of attack pieces in major outlets. One critic is a guy who writes in his textbook:

"When you put your money in the bank, your bank takes your money and puts it to work by lending it out."

This is so fundamentally incorrect, so horribly wrong, it boggles the mind that any serious economists—let alone those who claim to be practicing science—still write such misguided and/or misleading falsities. The current bestselling econ textbook, by Greg Mankiw, teaches the same false crap. The Federal Reserve has told educators to stop teaching it. See also Bank of England bulletins that specifically refute the entirely false notion that banks lend out customer savings.

But these orthodox economists reject reality and continue to teach crap. Why do they do it? They're protecting their turf and status. They're also protecting the status quo power relationships (but shhhh!—they very seldom openly acknowledge power).

The defenders Ptolemaic astronomy clung to their model—"C'mon,everybody knows the Sun orbits around the Earth! Just go outside, it's obvious!" Galileo was jailed for pointing out simple realities.

The defenders of the phlogostin theory of combustion held on by their white knuckles until they had to be dragged kicking and screaming into a world that had discovered oxygen. Today, phlogostin is the stuff of jokes.

When X-rays were discovered, they didn't violate accepted theory, but "they violated deeply entrenched expectations" (Kuhn) to the extent that "Lord Kelvin at first pronounced them an elaborate hoax." A lot of scientific work had to be redone in light of X-rays.

Economics is at a crisis. The old models have too many anomalies to ignore. Little wonder, as the models were clearly devised to favor one ideology over others, and that's not how we should do science—even such fake science as neoclassical economics.

As Kuhn points out, "professionalization leads...to an immense restriction of the scientist’s vision and to a considerable resistance to paradigm change," and,

Almost always the men who achieve these fundamental inventions of a new paradigm have been either very young or very new to the field whose paradigm they change. And perhaps that point need not have been made explicit, for obviously these are the men who, being little committed by prior practice to the traditional rules of normal science, are particularly likely to see that those rules no longer define a playable game and to conceive another set that can replace them.

One thing about MMT is that in one important sense, its findings are not new; this argument—between "sound money" and "credit money"—has been going on for centuries. However, MMT points out that in 1971 when the world abondoned the pretense of a gold standard, 'everything changed'—except the textbooks. What's new is the coherent, historically accountable and factually correct analysis of the money system.

Mainstream economists continue teaching wrong stuff not only because "science students [necessarily] accept theories on the authority of teacher and text, not because of evidence" (Kuhn), but because the assertion, "banks loan out customer savings" is ideological —it implies a false quality of money as a private creation rather than a public utility. This conception of money is at the root of the neoliberal "trickle down" fraud that has plagued the world for 50 years.

So, in this PPI article, it's really orthodoxy defending itself, by lashing out with whatever partial, disingenuous, sophistic and dishonest means they can. There's a semi-conciliatory note, at least, encouraging study, but the analysis of MMT is typically sloppy and ideologically driven.

Note, the intellectual home of the paper's author, Eric Leeper is the University of Virginia—the school notorious for the sick and weirdly named "Public Choice Theory" and its exponent, economist James M. Buchanan (see post in this thread about Buchanan), and what is called the "Virginia School". Suffice for now to say it's some of the most vile social thinking of the last 200 years.

Note that PPI is explicitly an exponent of the "New Democrats" and they helped to infiltrate neoliberalism into the Democratic party. PPI is Clinton Democrats. "Progressive Policy" Institute, my ass. These PPI barnacles are not progressives.

Let's jump into the dumpster:

For several years, politicians and leaders on the Far Left argued that a monetarily sovereign nation, like the United States, can simply print more currency needed to purchase goods and services for its constituents.

"Far Left" is a dog whistle. The rest of the sentence describes how money is issued, but orthodox economics ignores the sources of money—it just assumes money exists! I'm not making this up, this is how fucked up the field is. So naturally the idea that money is created somewhere violates the neoclassicists' restricted vision and makes them very nervous. Plus, they loathe to acknowledge that money issues from the state.

Mr. Leeper calls for the advocates of MMT to persuade the economic community that the standing norms of economic theory no longer serve us well

Does Mr. Leeper honestly think the economics of the last 50 years is serving us well? Holy fuck.

continue to follow the science on economic theory and history – which unwaveringly points away from MMT’s fiscal financing plans.

"Follow the science." :lol: MMT's insights are largely drawn from 5,000 years of economic history. The "science" of neoclassical economics would never hold under legitimate, peer-reviewed scientific scrutiny.

As more exorbitant expensive spending programs were introduced and pitched to the American public, politicians often leaned on MMT to ensure voters that the economy could remain strong, even with deficit-financed spending.

There has never been a period of prosperity in the US that wasn't accompanied by large deficits. And I can count on one hand the politicians who ever "leaned on MMT."

This report breaks down several flaws in the economic thought behind MMT, including [...] the inability of MMT to explain the relationship between inflation and demand when an economy is operating below its resource constraint,

More lazy, dishonest assertion. Is the writer trying to claim that Covid-19 did not cause resource constraints?

how it would overcome the structural and political challenges that prevent elected lawmakers from responsively managing inflation,

Look around. What are most people, including politicians, the most concerned about right now? Inflation. Voters are not approving of inflation, politicians are scared shitless of it, both sets together are a bulwark against inflationary policies. (Too bad that many can't see that raising interest rates is itself inflationary, and worsens inequality). Moreover it is clearly the mainstream—not MMT—that lacks a coherent theory of inflation.

said Ben Ritz, Director of PPI’s Center for Funding America’s Future. “Now that inflation has finally materialized, they’ve moved the goalposts and left policymakers seeking answers about what to do in response. Dr. Leeper’s thorough deconstruction of MMT makes clear that they have none to offer. Democrats should reject this ‘supply-side economics’ of the left that is nothing more than a recipe for economic misery.”

The MMT literature, before and after Covid, is filled with "what to do in response" to inflation. And how special—phony "progressives" attacking the left. Nauseating.

and the indiscriminate approach it takes to the impact of different tax and spending policies, among others.

This comes up in Leeper's paper, which I skimmed. MMT points out that various taxes have different purposes: the indiscriminate approach to taxation is the mainstream approach, which sees federal taxes (and government bonds) as serving one function: to raise revenues for spending. They could not be more mistaken.

Wait—yes, they could be more mistaken. Leeper's paper is jam-packed with inconsistent and incomplete critiques, and relies completely on the usual, out-dated, discredited approaches such as monetarism, Quantity Theory of Money, the Phillips Curve, "natural rates of unemploymet" (which vary as they keep adjusting it when its predictions fail), and so on. He argues that US government bonds are "backed" by "future taxes"—a notion that appears only in textbooks, but not in reality.

It's astonishing how these very serious people can be so wrong. Despite citing and quoting some MMT researchers, Leeper continually mischaracterize what MMT teaches, and counters it with all the above garbage. An exhaustive rebuttal of the paper is more than I have time for right now, but I'll look for any existing review by MMT writers. And FWIW, the sources for rebuttal can be found in this thread.

Leeper and the PPI self-appointed gatekeepers are arguing from a failed paradigm. To quote Kuhn:

Like the choice between competing political institutions, that between competing paradigms proves to be a choice between incompatible modes of community life. Because it has that character, the choice is not and cannot be determined merely by the evaluative procedures characteristic of normal science, for these depend in part upon a particular paradigm, and that paradigm is at issue. When paradigms enter, as they must, into a debate about paradigm choice, their role is necessarily circular. Each group uses its own paradigm to argue in that paradigm’s defense.

Overthrowing paradigms is a bitch.

(Edited for typo)
Elvis

Postby Elvis » Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:40 pm

The Telegraph misspelled "ruin"......

sunik like thatcher.png
Elvis

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion