"General Strike to Save the Planet" Jan 15, 2019

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

"General Strike to Save the Planet" Jan 15, 2019

Postby liminalOyster » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:45 am

The world’s leading climate scientists have warned us that we have until 2030 to prevent temperatures from exceeding 1.5 degrees Celsius. That’s a little over twelve years – by environmental standards, the blink of an eye. If we let the world’s temperature rise by a little over 2 degrees Celsius, the results will be catastrophic – sea levels will rise to untenable levels, heatwaves will become far more common, freshwater will become even more scarce, and many more effects besides. The time to act is now, before it’s too late. According to the CDP’s Carbon Majors Report of 2017, 71% of the world’s global industrial greenhouse gases emissions come from just 100 companies. It is clear that the interests of big business no longer drive the prosperity of the human race. As a society, we need to change our course. For this reason, on January 15th, 2019, we will hold a worldwide general strike, and protests to go with it. We need to make the world’s governments and the world’s businesses listen to the people, and the best way to do that is by refusing to participate in those businesses and governments.There will be no banking, no offices full of employees or schools full of children.But of course, a strike is nothing without demands. The threat of climate change has reached a tipping point despite years of warnings, and we need to change course. This will be achieved through the general strike and accompanying protests with these international demands:

An immediate start on global co-operation to reverse the damage done to the earths’ climate, through unambiguous and binding agreements, by both world leaders and corporate entities, following IPCC projections of halving carbon net emissions by 2030 and zero net emissions by 2050;
International, unambiguous and binding commitments to halt the destruction of rainforests and other wildlife habitats, and
International, unambiguous and binding agreements designed to hold corporations accountable for the greenhouse gases they produce.
As citizens of this planet, we implore you to work in the best interests of our species and work with us to both mitigate and prepare for the effects climate change. Spread the word of the protests, organise with your community, and take a stand for the future. The Earth shall go on strike!

https://earth-strike.com/mission/
"It's not rocket surgery." - Elvis
liminalOyster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: "General Strike to Save the Planet" Jan 15, 2019

Postby thrulookingglass » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:29 am

Brilliant idea. You know the funny thing about activism is that "acting" part. Act as if you give a shit about this world. Look into the eyes of a child and realize, we're making your future dimmer hour by fucking hour! Hope lies in these higher conscious souls who understand life is about helping one another, not hurting. What a simple thought. Too bad so many listen to that lizard brain ethos of must be the monkey standing on the highest point of that trash heap. King of the hill can't see the rabble beneath him, but what a view! Now I can look down on everyone. Glory to those who create peace in this world, glory to those who work towards a brighter future, glory to those who despite all odds, believe it can be saved. Thank you all for what you do here. Actions speak louder than words though. If we ever get out of this mess, the Rigorous Intuition soiree ought to be swell. Come as you are.

Come as you are, as you were
As I want you to be
As a friend, as a friend
As an known enemy
Take your time, hurry up
The choice is yours, don't be late
Take a rest as a friend
As an old
Memoria, memoria
Memoria, memoria
Come doused in mud, soaked in bleach
As I want you to be
As a trend, as a friend
As an old
Memoria, memoria
Memoria, memoria
And I swear that I don't have a gun
No I don't have a gun
No I don't have a gun
Memoria, memoria
Memoria, memoria
(No I don't have a gun)
And I swear that I don't have a gun
No I don't have a gun
No I don't have a gun
No I don't have a gun
No I don't have a gun
thrulookingglass

Postby liminalOyster » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:51 am

Worth pointing out the obvious that i did not add: the general strike part is thrilling and much welcomed but the terms as listed are kind of dreadful. Hopefully some other voices will reshape their message more intelligently.
"It's not rocket surgery." - Elvis
liminalOyster

Postby American Dream » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:05 am

Honestly, it makes me think of when I was in 6th Grade and didn't like the quality of food in my school. I did organize a one day protest where we paid in pennies, but had not a clue that something/anything needed to happen beyond that one day.
American Dream

Postby Iamwhomiam » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:28 am

At least one-half of our population manages to function with a sixth-grade education, even though they hold a high school diploma. Unfortunately, these are mostly followers rather than leaders and are not capable of initiating the change-making now necessary for our survival. Perhaps most feel their "I Voted" sticker is sufficient evidence of doing their part to combat climate change?
Iamwhomiam

Postby thrulookingglass » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:00 pm

A wise child once saw Jesus hanging on the cross and wondered, "Why would anyone do that to their own son?" Is it education we give the people or indoctrination? Just keep on doing the same thing, Jesus will come to fix it all soon. The power lies in whose hands? Those that fail act against evil shall know only the pain it delivers.
"To sin in silence when we should protest makes cowards of men." - Ella Wheeler Wilcox
thrulookingglass

Postby American Dream » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:33 am

I'm all for grassroots resistance to the global warming regime the masters of the Universe are pushing on us. It's just that general strike carries a certain connotation- more than a tactic for reform, it connotes to me a powerful and unique stage in the strategy towards actually taking back our world...

Iamwhomiam » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:28 am wrote:At least one-half of our population manages to function with a sixth-grade education, even though they hold a high school diploma. Unfortunately, these are mostly followers rather than leaders and are not capable of initiating the change-making now necessary for our survival. Perhaps most feel their "I Voted" sticker is sufficient evidence of doing their part to combat climate change?
American Dream

Return to General Discussion