The 'Integrity Initiative' -

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: The 'Integrity Initiative' -

Postby American Dream » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:21 pm

This all will make for a fascinating study:

Why I’m Suing Max Blumenthal and Benjamin Norton

Sulome Anderson
Dec 20

The complaint I’m about to file, with the help of a law firm that has taken on the case pro bono, details a long list of politically motivated attacks against myself as well as many other journalists, rescue workers and activists whose work counters Russian and Syrian propaganda. These coordinated attacks frequently put my personal safety at risk by alleging that I am an agent of the U.S. or Israeli governments. In the places I report, such accusations could result in detainment, deportation, arrest or worse. This lawsuit is not meant to pursue a personal vendetta but instead uncover the motives for Mr. Blumenthal and Mr. Norton’s participation in a dangerous campaign of disinformation against people whose work threatens Russian and Syrian interests.

The problem with real journalists, from the perspective of autocratic governments like Russia and Syria, is that we report in places they would prefer to operate in without consequence — which is why their defenders spend so much time attacking us. I’ve spent the last seven years partly based in Beirut, Lebanon, from where I’ve covered topics such as the Syrian conflict and the war against ISIS. Beirut is also where my father, the journalist Terry Anderson, was kidnapped and held for six and a half years by a radical Islamist militia that would eventually be absorbed by Hezbollah, the Iran-supported political party and military group that currently controls much of Lebanon’s government and is fighting in Syria on behalf of Bashar al-Assad, with Russia’s help.

I’ve always been drawn to write about Hezbollah, partly because it’s a fascinating organization, but also because the group has been widely blamed for my father’s kidnapping — though I believe the truth is more nuanced. While reporting my book The Hostage’s Daughter, I developed multiple sources in Hezbollah and have published stories about the group with outlets including NBC News, Newsweek, The Nation, Foreign Policy, Esquire and VICE.

Despite what happened to my father, I have always tried to report on Hezbollah with as much objectivity and accuracy as possible, but we all make mistakes. The very few times in my career there have been substantive errors in my reporting, I immediately issued corrections, which is standard procedure. And yet, like so many journalists, whether I make mistakes or not, every time I publish a story that counters Russian interests in Syria, I am met with a barrage of insults and accusations on social media — all of which I can handle, as an adult and a professional.

What I cannot handle is having my personal safety and that of other reporters endangered when Mr. Blumenthal, Mr. Norton and their associates accuse us of being spies or government propagandists. I won’t tolerate my contacts being put at risk when those attacks prompt people close to Hezbollah to report me for my “lies” and “invented sources.” I refuse to watch as their targeted campaigns threaten the lives of rescue workers and doctors in Syria, the safety of freelance journalists in Nicaragua and the careers of reporters and academics who dare to investigate their own unsavory associations and ties to Russia. Mr. Blumenthal and Mr. Norton will undoubtedly accuse me of using the legal system to silence them and stifle their free speech. I believe it’s worth noting that Mr. Blumenthal has sent legal threats via his lawyer to at least three news outlets that published unflattering material about him — hardly the actions of a champion of free speech.

https://medium.com/@sulome/why-im-suing ... 57fb68aa31
American Dream

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Jerky » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:26 pm

I find the requests in your first paragraph a bit confusing, Liminal, but I'll give it a go.

1) I don't see what Robby Mook has to do with "Russiagate" (or with much of anything else, to be honest with you). He doesn't seem to be a particularly important player in behind the scenes events, and has mostly served as a punching bag for both the MSM and the so-called "alternative" media, both.

2) Hillary didn't name the alt right, not by a long shot; nor was she particularly early in speaking their name out loud. In fact, her willingness to call them out by name, and admit how big of a problem they had become / were in the process of becoming is one of the things that I admired about her candidacy. That she recognized the looming threat of this particular aspect of the metastasizing New Fascist International(e) is a point in her favor, if anything.

3) I don't know what this refers to.

4) I have not read Hillary's book from cover to cover, and I don't know about the passages to which you are referring here... but I suspect (as was the case with the passages on the Arkansas governor's mansion use of prison labor) that, whatever she wrote, it's probably the equivalent of a molehill that her critics on both the left and the right have tried to build up into some kind of mountain. But, again, I just don't know. It could be totally, Minority Report levels of awful. I just SUSPECT that it isn't.

As for your second paragraph, I'm happy to give you that info war is practiced to varying degrees and with varying levels of malevolence by all sides, and that we have to be conscious of this fact and proceed with caution, no matter whose side we find ourselves on, or which side we find our sympathies may lie upon.

I hope this was sufficient. If you want to clear up #3, I'd be happy to take another crack at answering.

Sincerely;
yer old pal Jerky
Jerky

Postby Harvey » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:32 pm

Jerky » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:24 pm wrote:This coordinated over-reaction by all the Usual Suspects (not referring to people on this board atm) to the mere existence of the Integrity Initiative has got to be one of the biggest, most ridiculously zero-calorie farces in the history or Kremlin attempts to spin nothing-burger news bites into a vast feast of gourmet propaganda.

THERE IS LITERALLY NOTHING TO THIS.

Go ahead and break down into point form exactly what it is about the existence of this organization that should scandalize and shame us all into... what, exactly?

I'm very curious to see what those who claim to believe (as repeatedly referred to by those included in the above data dump, almost as if they're following a script!) that this "SHOULD" be considered "one of the biggest scandals in the world!!!" ... even though they fail utterly and completely to follow through with any sort of rational explanation as to WHY, exactly, that should be.

Jerky

Are you expecting your uninformed, festering pile of shit response will be dignified by a reply?
And while we spoke of many things, fools and kings
This he said to me
"The greatest thing
You'll ever learn
Is just to love
And be loved
In return"

Eden Ahbez
Harvey

Blog: View Blog (20)

Postby Jerky » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:34 pm

Harvey » 26 Dec 2018 18:32 wrote:
Are you expecting your uninformed, festering pile of shit response will be dignified by a reply?

ROTFLMAO!

Well, not by YOU, from the sound of things!

Anyhoo, Merry Christmas to ya, Harvey!

Love;
yer old pal Jerky
Jerky

Postby Harvey » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:36 pm

American Dream » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:21 pm wrote:This all will make for a fascinating study:

It'll be more fascinating if you quote the other side to that story.
This he said to me
"The greatest thing
You'll ever learn
Is just to love
And be loved
In return"

Eden Ahbez
Harvey

Postby Harvey » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:36 pm

Jerky » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:34 pm wrote:
Harvey » 26 Dec 2018 18:32 wrote:

ROTFLMAO!

Well, not by YOU, from the sound of things!

Anyhoo, Merry Christmas to ya, Harvey!

Love;
yer old pal Jerky

Piss off.
This he said to me
"The greatest thing
You'll ever learn
Is just to love
And be loved
In return"

Eden Ahbez
Harvey

Postby Jerky » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:56 pm

Aw, come on, Harv. Don't be like that.

Talk to me, bud. What's wrong?

I know you don't really believe that my response was "uninformed", or a "festering piece of shit". Because there isn't enough content there for you to make that kind of judgement about it. All it is is a request to boil this supposed "biggest story in the world" down to its essence, so we can understand what it is about it that makes it the "biggest story in the world".

Surely, that shouldn't be too difficult a task? Surely, if it's the "biggest story in the world", said "bigness" should be easy as pie to illustrate?

So go ahead, brother of mine! Take a stab at it, why don't you? And mind the profanity and the personal attacks, eh? I just got through serving every microsecond of a month-long banishment over far less than what you've just done, right here and now! I know 82 has said that he was going to be more lenient, but in the name of fairness and equity, even HE must have his limits, and I can't imagine you aren't in the process of testing those limits right here in this topic.

Most sincerely (and ready to be friends again, no hard feelins);
yer old pal Jerky
Jerky

Postby liminalOyster » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:57 pm

1. Mook's a forgettable twerp, yes. But he began pushing the notion of a class of shadow "experts" who knew that Russia was planting Trump in the presidency on 7/24/16:

politico wrote:]Mook did not provide evidence that the Russians were trying to help Trump when pressed by CNN’s Jake Tapper to back up his charges, instead falling back on what “experts” were saying. “This isn’t my assertion — there are a number of experts that are asserting this,” Mook said. “I think we need to get to the bottom of these facts. But that’s what experts are telling us. Experts are telling us it is, in fact, the Russians who hacked these emails.”

2. No, Richard Spencer named it/them, IIRC. And there was a very different and very particular sense to the term before then. One month after Mook's dump, HRC gave a curious and high-profile speech on August 25, 2016 in which she laid out the big "thesis." I would think anyone already familiar with the term would've been equally jarred to hear HRC speaking of it. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the ... annotated/

3. David Brock's info-PAC for propaganda "correcting" c. 2016 which bears some remarkable similiarity to II.

4. I don't care who wrote it. I care what it tells me about how the preeminent Dem think-y coalition is message-shaping and manipulating. But that passage about Orwell is really really remarkable.
"It's not rocket surgery." - Elvis
liminalOyster

Postby American Dream » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:07 pm

"Both sides of the story" will be a beginning, and little more. The Devil's in the details in more way than one, so I am expecting the most important lessons to come from beyond the "both sides of the story" thing...

Harvey » Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:36 pm wrote:
American Dream » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:21 pm wrote:This all will make for a fascinating study:

It'll be more fascinating if you quote the other side to that story.
American Dream

Postby Belligerent Savant » Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:10 pm

"Devil's in the details" -- of the few words AD types relative to his avalanche of copy/paste, "devil's in the the details" is one of his favorites. Clearly, he never tires of this cliche phrase. It's substanceless on its own, and far be it for AD to ever add any 'detail' if/when pressed.

The devil is indeed in the details of how the F you're still posting here when a MOD handed you a one year suspension.

That particular 'detail' has yet to be provided, and the board is owed an explanation.
Belligerent Savant

Postby Jerky » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:54 pm

Actually, B.S., just to correct you on a point of order, the people maintaining and operating this board? They quite literally owe you SWEET BUPKIS, my friend.

Also, as to why A.D. was allowed to continue posting after Elvis gave him that ridiculous, indefensible, unprecedented YEAR LONG "time out", my personal guesses are that either a) the system was not built to accommodate such vastly disproportionate punishments Thus, in attempting to banish someone for a year -- meaning, until this time/date in 2019 -- it simply reverted to this date on 2018 (i.e. technically ZERO time banished). Either that, or else Elvis -- just as some people still write 2017 or earlier on their checks by accident (heck, I occasionally still write 1999!) -- inadvertently keyed in the wrong date (2018) himself, by accident, and thus gave birth to a dozen freak-out conspiracy theories.

Damn, it's easy to sow chaos, ain't it?

YOPJ
Jerky

Postby American Dream » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:40 pm

The kind of perspective that some true believers and/or opportunists probably don't want you to even think about:

Thursday, March 08, 2018
Islamophobia turns left: Ben Norton and the Grayzone Project

One of my main aims in writing this blog over the last few years has been to expose (and, hopefully, counter) the growth of what I now call the alt-left or "querfront" (cross-front) - the convergence between fascist and leftist positions that actively corrodes the left.

When I started blogging, one of the manifestations of this would be a kind of "philo-Islamism" among some leftists, in which Islamism, understood as a form of "resistance" to American-led imperialism, was seen as a viable ally for the left, despite its deeply reactionary, right-wing nature. Since around 2011, left/fascist convergence has more often taken an almost opposite path: enthusiastic repetition of the "war on terror" rhetoric spouted in the previous decade by the vulgar acolytes of Samuel Huntingdon. Now, many "anti-imperialists" justify the slaughter of Syrian civilians because they are "terrorists" or "al-Qaeda headchoppers", and it is increasingly hard to tell these leftists apart from the far right Islamophobes they were so recently the sworn enemies of.

Stop the War leaders, Nazis and Daily Mail Islamophobes find an area of agreement over the White Helmets

A second main aim of the blog has been to explore (and, again, hopefully counter) some of the ways in which trustworthy sources of accurate information - and perhaps truth itself - have been undermined in the internet age. The sponsored propaganda media of authoritarian states have been one of the key mechanisms for that, supported by an online army made up of both paid internet trolls and unpaid ideological believers. Again, the war in Syria has been a key battleground in this, as active disinformation campaigns have been unleashed on the Syrian revolution.

This post is part of an occasional series in which I just collate, in one handy place, key links on some of the key sources used by the online activists of the querfront, particularly in relation to Syria. Today, young American commentator Benjamin Norton.

More: https://brockley.blogspot.com/2018/03/w ... orton.html

American Dream » Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:21 pm wrote:
Why I’m Suing Max Blumenthal and Benjamin Norton

Sulome Anderson
Dec 20

The complaint I’m about to file, with the help of a law firm that has taken on the case pro bono, details a long list of politically motivated attacks against myself as well as many other journalists, rescue workers and activists whose work counters Russian and Syrian propaganda. These coordinated attacks frequently put my personal safety at risk by alleging that I am an agent of the U.S. or Israeli governments. In the places I report, such accusations could result in detainment, deportation, arrest or worse. This lawsuit is not meant to pursue a personal vendetta but instead uncover the motives for Mr. Blumenthal and Mr. Norton’s participation in a dangerous campaign of disinformation against people whose work threatens Russian and Syrian interests.

https://medium.com/@sulome/why-im-suing ... 57fb68aa31
American Dream

Postby conniption » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:53 pm

Thanks for the video, Harvey. Very nearly posted it here myself after finding the link in a comment at MoA's latest open thread...

MoA

@2

My jaw dropped to the floor when I read that... the fact that they're reverting to the old name is the final step in the rehabilitation of the Iraq War criminals without liberals and pseudo left none of which would be possible

New podcast by Max Blumenthal and Ben Norton on Integrity Initiative https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=you ... oip79-pYn0

And tying this together.....

Chris Williamson: Private Eye has reported that the #IntegrityInitiative anti-propoaganda unit is taking tips from the security masterminds who tried to sell the wisdom of going to war in Iraq!
And this outfit was set up by the Institute for Statecraft that's received £millions from HM Govt!!! https://mobile.twitter.com/DerbyChrisW/ ... 0131416066

Posted by: Blooming Barricade | Dec 26, 2018 12:18:48 PM | 33

https://www.moonofalabama.org/2018/12/o ... a9d7df200d
conniption

Postby conniption » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:53 pm

MoA
(embedded links)

January 04, 2019
'Integrity Initiative' - New Documents From Shady NGO Released

The British Government runs an anti-Russian smear campaign through the pseudo non-government-organization Integrity Initiative. Some person, operating under the 'Anonymous' label, obtained internal papers of the Initiative and publishes those in several batches. Moon of Alabama was one of the first sites that analyzed the released papers.

Our last piece on the Initiative concluded:

After reading through all the released Initiative papers and lists one gets the impression of a secret military intelligence operation, disguised as a public NGO. Financed by millions of government money the Institute for Statecraft and the Integrity Initiative work under a charity label to create and disseminate disinformation to the global public and back into the government and military itself.

Today the Anonymous account released a new batch of some 50 internal Integrity Initiative documents at the Cyber Guerrilla website.

With the new release Anonymous lays out a timeline that connects the Skripal affair in Britain with the activities and personal of the Integrity Initiative. Our last piece had already drawn the Skripal connection to the Initiative, but some of the new documents add to the trail.

The trail starts with a document (pdf), written in January 2015(!), that lays out a plan and options for sanctioning Russia.

bigger
bigger

We have since seen that several of these planned sanctions have been realized after this or that curious event, like the alleged use of doping by Russian athletes and during the Skripal affair.

It will take some time to analyze the newly released papers and to draw conclusions. If you opt to read them yourself please leave notes on them in the comments.

Previously published:

Nov 24 - British Government Runs Secret Anti-Russian Smear Campaigns
Dec 13 - British Spies Infiltrated Bernie Sanders' Campaign?
Dec 14 - Newly Released 'Integrity Intitiative' Papers Include Proposal For Large Disinformation Campaigns
Dec 15 - The 'Integrity Initiative' - A Military Intelligence Operation, Disguised As Charity, To Create The "Russian Threat"

Tim Hayward provides a complete list (scroll down) of all articles written so far here and elsewhere about the Integrity Initiative .

Posted by b on January 4, 2019

~~~

tim hayward

Integrity: Grasping The Initiative
Posted on December 15, 2018
by tim hayward

This is my first personal blogpost since April. At that time I referred to a ‘coordinated smear campaign’ against anti-war journalists, tweeters and academics, whose number included myself and other members of the SPM Working Group. The portrayal of us as “useful idiots” for some or other official enemy, I suggested, was evidently a strategic communication.

We now know a lot more about the coordination of that communications strategy, thanks to the recently accessed documents exposing the Institute for Statecraft’s so-called Integrity Initiative (here, here and here).

Numerous points of interest and concern emerge, one of which regards the high profile attack launched at our Working Group on the front page of The Times. Two of its authors, we learn, are named in the newly available documents. They – Deborah Haynes and Dominic Kennedy – have not so far responded to invitations to clarify their association with the “Initiative”.

What we do know from the documents is that a coordinated network was very closely following all public comments on such critical events as the Skripals poisoning in Salisbury, on which SPM produced its first Briefing Note, and the chemical attack in Douma this year, which was the focus of SPM’s second Briefing Note.

The working group’s third Briefing Note will be released soon [update, 21 Dec 2018, it is now published here]. Meanwhile, for anyone wishing to catch up with others’ comments on the “Integrity Initiative”, links to discussions of the issue will be maintained here below.

[Update 22 Dec 2018: currently the full set of II documents is available at https://fdik.org/Integrity_Initiative/]

[Update 4 January 2019, 4th set of II documents released and available, separately and in a single folder, at https://www.cyberguerrilla.org/blog/ope ... ll-part-4/

Also worth noting now is that while there are more than 60 articles on the matter linked below, still practically nothing has been heard from mainstream Western media outlets.]

Discussions of Institute for Statecraft’s “Integrity Initiative”

continued: https://timhayward.wordpress.com/2018/1 ... nitiative/
conniption

Postby conniption » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:20 pm

RT

Skripal spin doctors: Documents link UK govt-funded Integrity Initiative to anti-Russia narrative

Published time: 4 Jan, 2019

The Integrity Initiative, a UK-funded group exposed in leaked files as psyop network, played a key role in monitoring and molding media narratives after the poisoning of double agent Sergei Skripal, newly-dumped documents reveal.

Created by the NATO-affiliated, UK-funded Institute for Statecraft in 2015, the Integrity Initiative was unmasked in November after hackers released documents detailing a web of politicians, journalists, military personnel, scientists and academics involved in purportedly fighting "Russian disinformation." The secretive, government-bankrolled "network of networks" has found itself under scrutiny for smearing UK Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn as a Kremlin stooge – ostensibly as part of its noble crusade against anti-Russian disinformation.

Now, new leaks show that the organization played a central role in shaping media narratives after Sergei Skripal and his daughter Yulia were mysteriously poisoned in Salisbury last March. It's notable that many of the draconian anti-Russia measures that the group advocated as far back as 2015 were swiftly implemented following the Skripal affair – even as London refused to back up its finger-pointing with evidence.

Operation Iris

Days after the Skripals were poisoned, the Institute solicited its services to the Foreign & Commonwealth Office, offering to "study social media activity in respect of the events that took place, how news spread, and evaluate how the incident is being perceived" in a number of countries. After receiving the government's blessing, the Integrity Initiative (II) launched 'Operation Iris,' enlisting "global investigative solutions" firm Harod Associates to analyze social media activity related to Skripal.

continues at link... https://www.rt.com/news/448103-integrit ... documents/
conniption

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion