Rep. Ilhan Omar

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: OMAR vs. AIPAC/ISRAEL LOBBY

Postby Belligerent Savant » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:18 pm

Cross-post:

[other Omar-related content can be shared here as well -- the mods will be changing the title of the OP when their time allows]

RocketMan » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:21 pm wrote:House Dems to vote on resolution in response to Omar's latest Israel remarks

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4325 ... el-remarks

The House will vote Wednesday on a resolution condemning anti-Semitism in response to freshman Rep. Ilhan Omar's (D-Minn.) latest controversial comments about the U.S.-Israel relationship, a senior Democratic aide said Monday.

Omar has come under fire for saying at a Washington bookstore forum last week that pro-Israel advocates are pushing "allegiance to a foreign country."

Staffs from the offices of Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), Majority Leader Steny Hoyer (D-Md.), Foreign Affairs Committee Chairman Eliot Engel (D-N.Y.) and Rep. Ted Deutch (D-Fla.) worked on the resolution over the weekend.

Well, matters have been brought to a head. Unconscionable. These fucking gerontocrats.

Well, if AOC fails to condemn this, that's it for her.
Belligerent Savant

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Rep. Ilhan Omar

Postby Karmamatterz » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:56 pm

providing the younger demographic with a vicarious means to feel and express indignation without having to actually, you know, do anything.

Yes! Yippee! We've got someone in Congress who talks like we do and they will change everything!

Makes all the keyboard activists feels better.
Karmamatterz

Postby RocketMan » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:09 am

AOC just tweeted a bunch of thin gruel in extremely weak and hedging defence of Ilhan Omar. Bleargh.
-I don't like hoodlums.
-That's just a word, Marlowe. We have that kind of world. Two wars gave it to us and we are going to keep it.
RocketMan

Postby RocketMan » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:08 pm

Yep... Power to Ilhan!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-I don't like hoodlums.
-That's just a word, Marlowe. We have that kind of world. Two wars gave it to us and we are going to keep it.
RocketMan

Postby Grizzly » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:25 pm

https://twitter.com/RashaMK/status/1102801481177149440

I think we have a true rebel, here... Dynamite in a small package. Crosses fingers.
“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Postby RocketMan » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:39 pm

Yep. Still smarting over AOC's flapping her mouth about the finer points of "calling out" and "calling in". BAH.

Ilhan Omar is pretty fearless, that's for sure. I think it is beyond contemptible for the Dem establishment to pull this bullshit. WHY IS NANCY PELOSI STILL THERE?
-I don't like hoodlums.
RocketMan

Postby RocketMan » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:12 pm

I'm sorry about my blooming Twitter obsession, I just started being active there. :lol:

I've always believed it's way cool to get into popular things a ridiculously long time after they became popular.... Anyway, this journalist Johnson guy pretty well boils down what irks me about AOC's stance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-I don't like hoodlums.
RocketMan

Postby Belligerent Savant » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:33 pm

AOC is displaying the tactics of a would-be political operator (though again, this is another instance of facile perspectives on an important topic, similar to her disappointing response thus far Re: Venezuela); Omar, on the other hand, is displaying integrity and courage.

We'll see, eventually, if these patterns turn out to be anomalous or part of standard practice for each of these up-and-coming reps.
Belligerent Savant

Postby Grizzly » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:19 am

I'm calling it now, I highly suspect some kind of black ops incident and Omar to be the patsy. Where many will die and the war flood gates open wide!

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Postby JackRiddler » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:41 pm

Yes, this Rasha is strong, like Ilhan. But note:

Rasha @RashaMK Palestinian Muslim American— Reviving the Creed of Justice Equality Empowerment— Civil Rights/Movement Activist | Political Strategist @electyoungdems President

Even if you think it misguided, you'd think honest people might have their reasons for wanting to do that.
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby Grizzly » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:23 am

https://imgur.com/TKPjDDG
There it is. Bernie is standing up for Ilhan Omar.

Your move AOC..

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Postby JackRiddler » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:21 am

Her move? Sure. Can we not lose sight of context and proportions? A lot of moves are happening. How one or another chosen avatar responds to a moral question, whether one politician who's been designated "our" symbol hits it on the nose can't be the most important issue.

This is also happening:

We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby RocketMan » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:37 am

Omar has raised the black flag! :lol2: :lol2:

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story ... rty-225696

As she saw it, the party ostensibly committed to progressive values had become complicit in perpetuating the status quo. Omar says the “hope and change” offered by Barack Obama was a mirage. Recalling the “caging of kids” at the U.S.-Mexico border and the “droning of countries around the world” on Obama’s watch, she argues that the Democratic president operated within the same fundamentally broken framework as his Republican successor.

We can’t be only upset with Trump. … His policies are bad, but many of the people who came before him also had really bad policies. They just were more polished than he was,” Omar says. “And that’s not what we should be looking for anymore. We don’t want anybody to get away with murder because they are polished. We want to recognize the actual policies that are behind the pretty face and the smile.”
-I don't like hoodlums.
RocketMan

Postby Belligerent Savant » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:17 pm

Damn. Impressive.

This is beyond mere "optics" .

I feel compelled to volunteer as her bodyguard..

She's challenging my inherently cynical views; it'll be interesting to see where this goes.
Belligerent Savant

Postby Cordelia » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:03 am

So far, I really like what what I've heard from/of her. If her official bios are accurate, after fleeing Somalia, her family spent four years in a Kenyan refugee camp before coming to America and English is her second language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0de4rPfNcQ,
The greatest sin is to be unconscious. ~ Carl Jung

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion