Cynthia McKinney- Tulsi Gabbard, the Golden Ticket

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Cynthia McKinney- Tulsi Gabbard, the Golden Ticket

Postby Elvis » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:32 pm

JackRiddler wrote:She didn't flip-flop on gay marriage, insofar as I believe it was a genuine transformation of the sort that can and does happen in youth.

That's a more than fair distinction, and I cringe at my own past misperceptions. And her strong (often lonely) stances on foreign affairs can forgive many 'sins' such as may exist.
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby JackRiddler » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:42 pm

She has little idea about the monetary side, talks like most of the rest. It's always taxpayer dollars that are being wasted, not labor and resources. But, powerfully, she names the beast that must be cut as the military budget.
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby Elvis » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:46 pm

Gabbard should spent an evening over a bottle of wine with Stephanie Kelton. :thumbsup
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby Belligerent Savant » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:06 am

Is she antiwar enough? Some have also attacked her on this, but it's not credible unless they first acknowledge that no one else compares to her among the candidates. (Actually, Gravel does. So does Marianne Williamson. And this is probably the only place on the Internet I visit where I do not have to explain who they are.) Gabbard's the only one speaking clearly and unapologetically: hands off Iran, hands off Venezuela, no more "regime change wars," no more arms to Saudi or the jihadi arms bazaar, drop charges against Assange and Snowden, engage in diplomacy rather than covert operations. She said all of these things Saturday in New York. She does not, unlike almost everyone else claiming to be antiwar, qualify any the anti-intervention stance with the de rigeur condemnations of these terrible regimes. To avoid that is not an endorsement, but of course it's treated that way: she's accused of being pro-Assad, pro-Russian, pro-Iranian/Venezuelan, etc. etc. On the left, the smear is instead to call her Islamophobic.

Worth underscoring. Whatever flaws one can find -- and of course, there are flaws: she is a candidate for the U.S. presidency, after all; one can not vie for such a position without compromise -- her stances on the topics illustrated above puts here above most of the other viable offerings. It also makes her a target from the so-called (Establishment Media defined) "left", as we can see.
Belligerent Savant

Postby RocketMan » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:04 am

Following the implosion of Cynthia McKinney... \<]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-I don't like hoodlums.
-That's just a word, Marlowe. We have that kind of world. Two wars gave it to us and we are going to keep it.
RocketMan

Postby JackRiddler » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:19 pm

I forgot the opening and title of this thread. Pretty stupid, actually. Stupid of me, also, for having posted here, in a thread started by a usual suspect for either believing or promoting confusionist bullshit. Of course there has never been a link between CM and TG. Maybe I'll start a new TG thread.

I was pleased to support McKinney back in the day, and there was a time she was heroic. Her development in recent years and descent into straight grand Jewish conspiracy theory has been depressing me for a loooong time. "Crypto-fascist" may be a generally useless term, but highly toxic naive bullshit accurately describes most of what she's been saying.

The quote in the graphic posted by rocketman is a complete fabrication, and obviously so, as I am sure rm is aware.

Here is an English translation (by William Blum and David Gibbs) of the 1998 Brzezinski interview transcript as published in Le Nouvel Observateur.

https://dgibbs.faculty.arizona.edu/brzezinski_interview

We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

JackRiddler

Postby RocketMan » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:45 pm

Yeah, sorry for the inadvertent thread hijacking, maybe just change the thread title and I'll shut up about McKinney.

I just hadn't realized how far she'd gone until I ran across these recent happenings.

:threadhijacked: :backtotopic:
-I don't like hoodlums.
-That's just a word, Marlowe. We have that kind of world. Two wars gave it to us and we are going to keep it.
RocketMan

Postby JackRiddler » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:57 pm

RocketMan » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:45 pm wrote:Yeah, sorry for the inadvertent thread hijacking, maybe just change the thread title and I'll shut up about McKinney.

I just hadn't realized how far she'd gone until I ran across these recent happenings.

:threadhijacked: :backtotopic:

How so? It's not at all a hijacking when you talk about someone in the thread title.

The title is kind of a hijacking, of a group of possible topics by an asinine and impossible idea. It cannot be meant seriously, unless it is a way to troll some very right-wing conception of "the left."

JackRiddler

Postby Sounder » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:55 pm

I agree that CM and TG can have no link. CM is too loose to be any kind of politician.

My apologies for the, I assure you, unintentional 'obscurantist' thread title. :starz:
Sounder

Postby JackRiddler » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:28 am

Sounder » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:55 pm wrote:I agree that CM and TG can have no link.

Not at all the point, and very much in your usual vein of play-dumb victimology. Or maybe you really are this stupid?

Since it is not impossible, CM and TG could have a link. If they did, one could point to it. One wouldn't need to insinuate one where it doesn't exist.

So, you could show that link, if it exists. Or you could agree that you made it up.

What you're doing instead is dumping sacks of shit and pretending that those who smell the stink are oppressing you.

You poor, poor fellow. It's so unfair.

JackRiddler

Postby Belligerent Savant » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:12 am

Re: Gabbard.

Belligerent Savant » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:06 pm wrote:.

JRiddler typed:
Is she antiwar enough? Some have also attacked her on this, but it's not credible unless they first acknowledge that no one else compares to her among the candidates. (Actually, Gravel does. So does Marianne Williamson. And this is probably the only place on the Internet I visit where I do not have to explain who they are.) Gabbard's the only one speaking clearly and unapologetically: hands off Iran, hands off Venezuela, no more "regime change wars," no more arms to Saudi or the jihadi arms bazaar, drop charges against Assange and Snowden, engage in diplomacy rather than covert operations. She said all of these things Saturday in New York. She does not, unlike almost everyone else claiming to be antiwar, qualify any the anti-intervention stance with the de rigeur condemnations of these terrible regimes. To avoid that is not an endorsement, but of course it's treated that way: she's accused of being pro-Assad, pro-Russian, pro-Iranian/Venezuelan, etc. etc. On the left, the smear is instead to call her Islamophobic.

Worth underscoring. Whatever flaws one can find -- and of course, there are flaws: she is a candidate for the U.S. presidency, after all; one can not vie for such a position without compromise -- her stances on the topics illustrated above puts here above most of the other viable offerings. It also makes her a target from the so-called (Establishment Media defined) "left", as we can see.

Tucker Carlson. How you've grown over the years. Here, an interview with Gabbard re: moderator bias during the debate due to her anti-war [and anti-economic sanctions] stance.

Belligerent Savant

Postby Elvis » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:22 am

I wrote,
I have an old friend in Hawaii, diehard 'liberal' all his life, who's dead set against Gabbard, and I need to write him for details about why

And the reply came:

Tulsi does have some good positions on foreign entanglements, but

she has been not so progressive on social issues like gay rights and abortion rights.

She has also been wobbly on gun control in Hawaii. (A lot of us here, even most gun owners, in Hawaii vehemently oppose allowing carry permits in Hawaii)

None of this is really surprising, given that her father has been a perrenial, Republican pest in the state legislature for years. He's one of the reason's Hawaii didn't become the first state in the union to allow gay marriage.

I think that the main reason Tulsi is a Democrat, is that she knows that if she ran as a Republican for Congress, she'd face a stiff fight in blue Hawaii.

Quite a few center right types have done that in the state legislature.

She would of course still be infinitely better than Trump, but as Democrats, I think we can do better.

This is a little softer than "dead set against," as I characterized his earlier remarks. He's for Bernie and would rather not settle for less.

My debate notes (heh I took some) merely quotes Gabbard: "'...take your taxpayer dollars and invest them..." which, along with her 'disinterest' in a JG, reflects the usual misunderstanding of the role of money in fiscal policy. (Bernie seamlessly deflected the "pay for it" question. I was a little disappointed but his larger point---"we are going to DO IT!"—drew applause.)

edit: should add, I did not hear all of the debates tonight (glitchy NBC steam on YouTube).
Elvis

Postby Harvey » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:11 pm

Fair enough, I was wrong about gabbard (in some ways.) She's certainly not as serious as she seemed. But I'm guessing we'll see more of this tone from Tucker. Wait and see. Thing is, Patrick may be partly right, we'll see, but most assuredly for all the wrong reasons.

"Don't sacrifice your country..." Sacrifice yourselves, for the economy.

Harvey » Sun May 19, 2019 1:30 am wrote:
Elvis » Sat May 18, 2019 2:37 pm wrote:Gabbard sounds really good on some important issues, and it's encouraging that she takes the biggest media hit for "meeting with Assad." But I'm not fully convinced; is she really "progressive"? I'm still unclear on why Bannon would like her. Links & more pics at original.

The answer to that is fairly simple. If the brand is toxic, such as Banon, an endorsement from him can damage an opponent far more effectively than anything else he can do directly, especially in combination with low level smear campaigns from the other direction via PR proxies, astroturfing and social media bots. Supporters on the far right, entrenched in reactionary identity politics are unlikely to follow any such endorsement, especially if you're working them at the other end. It's a relatively easy win.

By way of example, I realised what Murdoch was up to some years ago (having seen it all before in the UK where Murdoch built his first media empire*) when Fox began kite flying alternative positions as the toxicity of his brands spread beyond repair. Many reasons but here's a few, to potentially broaden the audience of course, but mainly to run interference among audiences unlikely ever to trust fox. They can still be heavily influenced. If Tucker Carlson says Syria was partly the result of western backed terrorists for example, and that those terrorists are carrying out false flag attacks, loyal Fox viewers won't necessarily follow him but a growing body of 'liberal' opinion will, and they'll encounter other political positions drawing them further to the right. More to the point, other liberal opinion entrenched in reactionary identity politics can be pushed away from positions they might naturally hold if they hear them coming from fox. For example, I saw a number of RI'ers over the last few years take positions against otherwise widely acknowledged information, because they said, they'd heard Fox pushing those same views. It can't work for long, but usually it works long enough to derail any system change possibility, or instal a deeply unpopular president...

*Where his basic approach evolved. Buy up exclusive rights to sporting events, popular music events, television shows, publishing events and also publishers. Fund the arts, support cultural venues and sell access fairly cheaply as a bundled loss leader to draw average punters deeper into the political output through repeated exposure, catering for a wide range of opinion at first then slowly drawing the audience into ever smaller political spaces. When opinion is too poisoned begin a slow swing back along the pendulum of political expression and appear to be changing position, then when enough are hooked, reel them in and head back in the other direction. He's been doing variations of this for five decades.
And while we spoke of many things, fools and kings
This he said to me
"The greatest thing
You'll ever learn
Is just to love
And be loved
In return"

Eden Ahbez
Harvey

Blog: View Blog (20)

Postby Grizzly » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:15 pm

Briahna Joy Gray and or Cynthia McKinney- Tulsi Gabbard? Yas!.. Dream big or stay home...lol

I mean she is free to speak her mind, now that the Bern is out..
“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Previous

Return to General Discussion