Suppression/Propaganda in Media

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Suppression/Propaganda in Media

Postby dada » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:52 pm

It wouldn't make any difference. I'm wagering that nothing on any project censored list would ever be found on a fake news awards show.
Both his words and manner of speech seemed at first totally unfamiliar to me, and yet somehow they stirred memories - as an actor might be stirred by the forgotten lines of some role he had played far away and long ago.
dada

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Elvis » Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:54 pm

stickdog99 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:15 pm wrote:
Elvis » 07 Nov 2020 08:01 wrote:Well, the exploratory committee is so far encouraging. I'll huddle with my top advisors and make an announcement early next year. :jumping:

Need a campaign slogan; how about "SHIT IS FUCKED UP AND BULLSHIT!"? :fawked:

How about electing a regular person who wants to make things better for regular people for a change?

I'm dropping out of the race. :eeyaa I'll be sending money to progressive #NoPAC candidates.
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby Belligerent Savant » Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:40 pm

“When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.”
— Donald James
Belligerent Savant

Postby dada » Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:14 pm

"the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.”

Doesn't it always, though. And aren't they ever.

All mad, alice, mad as moon-hatters from moonhatten. Gentrifying the poor neighborhoods of the subconscious with their tea and tarts.
Both his words and manner of speech seemed at first totally unfamiliar to me, and yet somehow they stirred memories - as an actor might be stirred by the forgotten lines of some role he had played far away and long ago.
dada

Postby Belligerent Savant » Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:15 pm

Belligerent Savant

Postby dada » Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:08 pm

God, I hate Twitter. Kind of wish we just did links to tweets here. But I know it would be asking too much, be silly to expect.
dada

Postby Belligerent Savant » Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:55 pm

I dislike Twitter primarily due to its 'thought mgmt' censorship, and generally, as another platform for aggregating intel on customers. Don't have a Twitter account, myself.

But I appreciate some of the commentary within the platform, clearly.

And I'll continue to post them when I'm inspired to do so.
Belligerent Savant

Postby dada » Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:19 pm

That's too bad. For me, it's the quality of thought that goes into tweets. I feel like I get stupider just reading them.
dada

Postby DrEvil » Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:57 pm

I don't mind tweets as much as I mind screenshots of tweets. I really wish people would copy-paste the text instead. Anything in a screenshot is invisible to search and will disappear completely if the image host goes down.
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Postby dada » Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:33 pm

Copy-pasted tweets would be better. Like taking the fishes out of the fish bowl.

Sometimes I like to read things that make me feel stupider just by reading them, I'm no different than anyone else in that way. Occasionally I'll go see what Surkov has tweeted recently. It's when the tweets spill out of twitter, that I don't care for. If I wanted to look at tweets, I'd go to twitter. One of the many reasons I come here is because it hasn't completely become an annex of the social media borg hive.
dada

Postby JackRiddler » Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:47 pm

DrEvil » Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:57 pm wrote:I don't mind tweets as much as I mind screenshots of tweets. I really wish people would copy-paste the text instead. Anything in a screenshot is invisible to search and will disappear completely if the image host goes down.

Yes. In the newer phpBB (we ain't updating before we're backed up) tweets are rendered in a nice display just by posting the link, but I bet if the tweet goes away, so does the render in the post. So I guess the thing to do is copy-paste text and don't worry about the time-consuming formatting. We can figure it out.
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby Belligerent Savant » Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:58 pm

dada » Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:19 pm wrote:That's too bad. For me, it's the quality of thought that goes into tweets. I feel like I get stupider just reading them.

As with most things, there are exceptions.

But I'm a philistine compared to some of the illuminated minds here.

DrEvil » Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:57 pm wrote:I don't mind tweets as much as I mind screenshots of tweets. I really wish people would copy-paste the text instead. Anything in a screenshot is invisible to search and will disappear completely if the image host goes down.

When I insert a tweet as an image file, I sometimes append a corresponding link; other times I don't, partly as a means to, perhaps, inspire the reader to look it up themselves -- you know, by taking a couple extra steps to run a search and scrolling -- and partly because it doesn't matter if it eventually ends up as a black X in a thread.

It's more about the spirit of the message, in that moment.

Some things are better off ephemeral. There are reasons humans don't live forever, for example.
Belligerent Savant

Twitter...

Postby JackRiddler » Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:26 pm

It really is shit, by the way. I avoided it forever but in my effort to quit FB (3 weeks plus, 1 post for the Super Bowl) have found myself trapped doing Twitter. Rather incompetently. I'm hoping it's like my methadone cure, that it will not last long, since it really is even less rewarding and nasty as shit. On the other hand, there are no limits to whom you can address (until they block you) or vice-versa, and the ones you follow are also the ones you see. FB just announced (for the nth time) the intent to "depoliticize" their fucking show. Can actually see it going under from that, eventually, since the happy family and pictures of my pets and my food stuff is boring to most people, not only to the politicals.
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby dada » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:09 am

"On the other hand, there are no limits to whom you can address (until they block you) or vice-versa, and the ones you follow are also the ones you see."

But what are you seeing? Their thoughts, tailored for the tweet medium. Compressed to the certain wavelength of the form, a pretty narrow bandwidth. I don't want to see people I respect think like that. I just find the whole thing depressing.

It is neat to know that there are no limits to whom I can address, sure. Even right this moment I could go type words at virtually anyone. And if I had something super stupid to say, I could potentially reach billions of people all over the internet world. The power, the reach. So tempting.
dada

Postby Spiro C. Thiery » Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:21 am

I'll use the last few comments to wedge mine into this topic because it turns on Twitter, but also involves the effects of narrative spin and repetition on one's consciousness (and I don't think RI needs a separate thread on the impeachment).

I'm pretty firmly of JR's mind re. January 6th, and thought the House managers did an overall effective job making their case, by doing what I hoped they'd do, which is establish the evidence of intent of incitement by chronicling things going back to the previous campaign up to post Capitol breach. Subjectively, in spite of some amateurish elements, the effect their presentation had on me was to project my reaction onto the crossover GOPers required for conviction, as if they were a jury of a television legal drama responding to the star lawyer's closing argument.

That is, until the defense lawyers reminded me who we're dealing with here. And that's not a simple as it sounds. It's true that they drew a false equivalency with their edited video response to the House managers edited video presentations, but it was effective insofar as that was the point: to present the idea that anyone can make a montage to certain effect. It didn't change my mind on the issue, but I could see how it might encourage anyone who was waffling to stand their ground.

Most relevant, however, was their presentation of "evidence" that the House managers has doctored their own. They projected some tweets they claimed to have been altered, in a couple of instances the date, and in another, by indicating that a blue-check verification on a particular twitterer's account was non-existent.

Help me out here if I missed it, because I did check out for much of the unbearably tedious q & a session, but the House managers made no effort to address, let alone refute, the allegation. They responded several times to a number of claims the defense made against them, but not to the doctoring of tweets claim, which, to me, is too telling not send off Fuhrman and the bloody glove vibes.
Seeing the world through rose-colored latex.
Spiro C. Thiery

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion