What's going on?

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: What's going on?

Postby Laodicean » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:06 pm

Jeff » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:18 am wrote:There's no way this won't sound anodyne, but isn't the board big enough for everyone?

I won't pretend to be up to speed on all of the disagreements here, but maybe that's good. The issues are maybe irrelevant to my point, which is that you don't all need to be pals, but maybe you do need to give each other some space.

I don't want anybody banned or the board to be heavily moderated. In return, all I'd like is some basic, online courtesy. Like not flooding someone's thread, or driving discussion off topic, or making vicious personal attacks. That kind of stuff.

Jeff out.

Laodicean

Blog: View Blog (16)

Postby identity » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:17 pm

This is about how the hegemony of State Department and corporate media propaganda has been achieved on this board: through incessant flooding and thread proliferation conducted mainly by two usernames.

SLAD is aware of the thread proliferation issue; perhaps she is not aware of the fact that there are many (of the very few of us gathered here, lol) board readers who are not American, and have no desire to be confronted multiple times per day with new threads about your vile president. It is like she believes that creating endless new threads about him and his cronies is going to make one iota of difference to anything anywhere (when anyone can see that there are no more than 50 or so regular readers of this board); it will, however, indisputably serve to annoy those present who, for one reason or another, do not enjoy having this monster continuously shoved in their face.

Why not, SLAD, keep posting all you want about the horrid man and his entourage, but keep it confined to one continuously updated thread (which those of us who are not American, have no power to vote him in or out, and who want to keep him perpetually on "ignore," can simply avoid)? What possible objection could you have to this proposal??

edit: Oh, and SLAD, just a reminder that Jeff is owner of the board and his wishes must certainly be adhered to, and that this IS a Canadian board (http://rigorousintuition.ca), and it is a recognition of the courtesy requested by Jeff to not flood the board with endless new threads on what are ultimately domestic foreign (in your case, U.S.) matters, of possibly little to no interest to those occupying the board's home country.
identity

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby seemslikeadream » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:31 pm

Please read Jeff’s post and what he actually said not your interpretation of what he said the exact words ALL of what he said and not cherry pick

Do you see he said nothing about thread proliferation? That was not what he said And do you understand that post was just not about me? He was talking to EVERYONE

If I were to cherry pick I think I would go with the the members who are making vicious personal attacks

Thank you for your time

Jeff » Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:18 pm wrote:There's no way this won't sound anodyne, but isn't the board big enough for everyone?

I won't pretend to be up to speed on all of the disagreements here, but maybe that's good. The issues are maybe irrelevant to my point, which is that you don't all need to be pals, but maybe you do need to give each other some space.

I don't want anybody banned or the board to be heavily moderated. In return, all I'd like is some basic, online courtesy. Like not flooding someone's thread, or driving discussion off topic, or making vicious personal attacks. That kind of stuff.

Jeff out.
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby Belligerent Savant » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:41 pm

Jeff isn't active on this board, which he specifically alludes to by stating (in the post you've been re-pasting repeatedly since it was spawned):

"I won't pretend to be up to speed on all of the disagreements here".

How about considering a form of courtesy for the forum members that actually visit and/or participate in this board?

The above is a rhetorical question, because it's clear that you have no interest in forum courtesy and etiquette, demonstrably.
Belligerent Savant

Postby identity » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:43 pm

Please, SLAD, just answer this:

Why not, SLAD, keep posting all you want about the horrid man and his entourage, but keep it confined to one continuously updated thread (which those of us who are not American, have no power to vote him in or out, and who want to keep him perpetually on "ignore," can simply avoid)? What possible objection could you have to this proposal??

I, for one, do not feel that it is at all courteous to endlessly – day in, day out – remind people (via constantly emerging new threads) in other countries (including the board's home country) of the existence of your own country's egregiously pitiful excuse for a "leader." You can remain free to copypaste all you want without offending those of us who are powerless over YOUR country's poor choices by creating a new thread for every news item that comes up.

Remember: there are only 50 or so of us here. Your actions will have no impact in the real world whatsoever (other than to annoy many of us readers here). :hug1:
We should never forget Galileo being put before the Inquisition.
It would be even worse if we allowed scientific orthodoxy to become the Inquisition.

Richard Smith, Editor in Chief of the British Medical Journal 1991-2004,
in a published letter to Nature
identity

Postby Belligerent Savant » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:48 pm

Thank you, Identity.

The below bit is worth underscoring/decorating with bright, flashing neon lights:

identity » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:43 pm wrote:Remember: there are only 50 or so of us here. Your actions will have no impact in the real world whatsoever (other than to annoy many of us readers here).
Belligerent Savant

Postby seemslikeadream » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:52 pm

identity » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:43 pm wrote:Please, SLAD, just answer this:

I, for one, do not feel that it is at all courteous to endlessly – day in, day out – remind people (via constantly emerging new threads) in other countries (including the board's home country) of the existence of your own country's egregiously pitiful excuse for a "leader." You can remain free to copypaste all you want without offending those of us who are powerless over YOUR country's poor choices by creating a new thread for every news item that comes up.

Remember: there are only 50 or so of us here. Your actions will have no impact in the real world whatsoever (other than to annoy many of us readers here). :hug1:

There was an agreement but it was broken by other people so I felt I didn’t need to hold up my end of the bargain if they were not going to

Vicious personal attacks are serious to me and to Jeff I guess the number of OPs is more serious to you and not to Jeff who said nothing about that in his statement

At the present there are 6 OPs of mine on the front page is that really too many? 6 out of 50?
Thanks for the polite reply :hug1:u
Last edited by seemslikeadream on Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby Belligerent Savant » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:00 pm

Please cite the "vicious personal attacks" since Jeff's notice or quit the outright mistruths. You've typed more than 1 outright lie about others here since Jeff's message.
Belligerent Savant

Postby identity » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:05 pm

Vicious personal attacks are serious to me I guess the number of OPs is more serious to you

I can understand feeling defensive about what appear to be unwarranted personal attacks, but really the issue here is not the number of OPs per se (I always appreciated your multiple OPs when they were diverse and not single-mindedly – if not altogether monomanically – focused on someone whom I have no wish to be an element in my daily perceptual diet).

Next time you create a new thread about "him and them," just spare a moment's thought to the fact that some, perhaps many, of the readers here are in foreign lands (one of which is the board's home country), unable to do anything whatsoever about "him and them," and therefore desirous of limiting their awareness of "him and them" to the greatest degree possible. Your understanding and courtesy in taking this wish to heart would be deeply appreciated. (But by all means feel free to post it all in one monumental thread without limit!)
identity

Postby seemslikeadream » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:11 pm

identity » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:05 pm wrote:
Vicious personal attacks are serious to me I guess the number of OPs is more serious to you

I can understand feeling defensive about what appear to be unwarranted personal attacks, but really the issue here is not the number of OPs per se (I always appreciated your multiple OPs when they were diverse and not single-mindedly – if not altogether monomanically – focused on someone whom I have no wish to be an element in my daily perceptual diet).

Next time you create a new thread about "him and them," just spare a moment's thought to the fact that some, perhaps many, of the readers here are in foreign lands (one of which is the board's home country), unable to do anything whatsoever about "him and them," and therefore desirous of limiting their awareness of "him and them" to the greatest degree possible. Your understanding and courtesy in taking this wish to heart would be deeply appreciated. (But by all means feel free to post it all in one monumental thread without limit!)

My threads on front page
2 were started 3 years ago
1 was started 7 years ago
1 was started 1 year ago
2 were started this month

I don’t see that as over loading this board with new OPs at all......2 threads this month is too many? Jack said I could have 1 :D

I really appreciate you taking the time to straighten this out
Last edited by seemslikeadream on Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby Harvey » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:15 pm

Comedy, tragedy or farce? Thanks all for trying to find some resoluton. Good luck with that but we'll soon be four years into this shit with no sign that anyone involved wants to acknowledge what they are still doing.
And while we spoke of many things, fools and kings
This he said to me
"The greatest thing
You'll ever learn
Is just to love
And be loved
In return"

Eden Ahbez
Harvey

Blog: View Blog (20)

Postby identity » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:21 pm

At the present there are 6 OPs of mine on the front page is that really too many? 6 out of 50?

No, it is not. However, there are also other members creating new threads about "him and them" which could all go in one "ommibus" thread, thereby sparing those sensitive souls who object to "his and their" very existence. Really, I'm sure that anyone who wanted to find out the latest about "him and them" could manage to find that thread without too much difficulty. And it's not like the couple of dozen other of us seeing a newly-created thread are going to make any change whatsoever in the world.

I get a sense that there is drama around this because the continued existence of the world in some shape or form seems at stake, and could be safeguarded from unwelcome changes by creation of new threads/posts, but clearly that is ridiculous if not in fact insane when there are only a few dozen people here. (And no, I did not call just you "insane." :) )
identity

Postby seemslikeadream » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:23 pm

I know you did not call me insane but I have been called that and much more ugly things

the reason there are dup threads is because ...for one I was asked not to post in one of the threads by someone else so I started my own on it because my point of view was important to me...then there are members that have to start dup threads because they do not want to post in my threads so you see it is not all my fault

again it is really nice to be able to politely sensibly actually talk to someone about this

oh and one more thing
2 OPs on trump
1 on Biden, which would have not been started if I had been able to post in Mac's thread

I can not see that being too many on a very very complicated subjects

identity » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:21 pm wrote:

No, it is not. However, there are also other members creating new threads about "him and them" which could all go in one "ommibus" thread, thereby sparing those sensitive souls who object to "his and their" very existence. Really, I'm sure that anyone who wanted to find out the latest about "him and them" could manage to find that thread without too much difficulty. And it's not like the couple of dozen other of us seeing a newly-created thread are going to make any change whatsoever in the world.

I get a sense that there is drama around this because the continued existence of the world in some shape or form seems at stake, and could be safeguarded from unwelcome changes by creation of new threads/posts, but clearly that is ridiculous if not in fact insane when there are only a few dozen people here. (And no, I did not call just you "insane." :) )

reposting this for added emphasis

My threads on front page
2 were started 3 years ago
1 was started 7 years ago
1 was started 1 year ago
2 were started this month
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby identity » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:45 pm

again it is really nice to be able to politely sensibly actually talk to someone about this

Maybe you have difficulty, for some reason, communicating clearly with American men (and they with you)?

In any case, point taken about issues posting in others' threads. (But really – and this has been mentioned elsewhere here recently, I believe – does a thread really "belong" to anyone once it has been created? It seems to be a misapplication of the concept of intellectual property in a capitalist system; it could be looked at more along the lines of a melody created and shared in, say, medieval times or in a folk/traditional musical culture: no one would think to claim ownership over the melody, and it would inevitably be modified, embellished, and put to different uses by any number of different people without complaint. Don't see why that model could not apply here as well.)
identity

Postby seemslikeadream » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:49 pm

actually the most trouble I have is with UK men :D

the owning part ....one time I asked a mod if he could ask a person to stop posting in my thread because that person was just derailing it over and over with help from his friends, I was told NO I could not do that but just the other day I was told I could NOT post in someone's thread because the author did not want me in it and the mod obliged so there is an inequity that I can not do anything about

identity » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:45 pm wrote:

Maybe you have difficulty, for some reason, communicating clearly with American men (and they with you)?

In any case, point taken about issues posting in others' threads. (But really – and this has been mentioned elsewhere here recently, I believe – does a thread really "belong" to anyone once it has been created? It seems to be a misapplication of the concept of intellectual property in a capitalist system; it could be looked at more along the lines of a melody created and shared in, say, medieval times or in a folk/traditional musical culture: no one would think to claim ownership over the melody, and it would inevitably be modified, embellished, and put to different uses by any number of different people without complaint. Don't see why that model could not apply here as well.)
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion