What's going on?

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: What's going on?

Postby JackRiddler » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:37 pm

I finally understand. RI is meant to become a miniature simulation of Democratic Underground, exactly the same in tone and selective use of critical facility, by posters who were thrown out there but really miss that experience.
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Laodicean » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:49 pm

Laodicean

Blog: View Blog (16)

Postby Belligerent Savant » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:14 pm

JackRiddler » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:37 pm wrote:I finally understand. RI is meant to become a miniature simulation of Democratic Underground, exactly the same in tone and selective use of critical facility, by posters who were thrown out there but really miss that experience.

Clearly.

Unsubscribe.
Belligerent Savant

Postby stickdog99 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:26 am

JackRiddler » 11 Oct 2019 21:37 wrote:I finally understand. RI is meant to become a miniature simulation of Democratic Underground, exactly the same in tone and selective use of critical facility, by posters who were thrown out there but really miss that experience.

And just wait until after primary season is over ...
stickdog99

Postby coffin_dodger » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:27 am

and sanctioned by Saint Jeff Wells, himself. The avatars Username slad, AD and Username Jerky own RI. It was a corporate takeover several years ago. They are the content providers. Get used to it. Light entertainment (or is that 'entrainment') with a heavy corporatist slant, designed to create hatred and fear of 'the other half'.
Shit happens, but a little fun can still be had.
coffin_dodger

Blog: View Blog (14)

Postby RocketMan » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:22 am

Yeah, we'll see what happens when they finally get their way and can post away with not even the slight repercussions there have been thus far. Imagine, if you will, a board whose sole content is posts by Jerky, SLAD and American Dream. Ah, bliss.
-I don't like hoodlums.
-That's just a word, Marlowe. We have that kind of world. Two wars gave it to us and we are going to keep it.
RocketMan

Postby Laodicean » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:12 pm

The "new topic" button
just sitting at the bar
waiting for someone
to try and hit it.
Laodicean

Blog: View Blog (16)

Postby identity » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:45 pm

I propose introducing a small "user fee" to create a new topic, say $1 per thread. This would have the happy by-product of relieving Jeff of some of the financial burden of maintaining this board (surely something the thread-proliferators would be happy to contribute towards?).
identity

Postby Belligerent Savant » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:00 pm

You forgot to use the green font for sarcasm, identity..

Excellent suggestion, regardless.

It begs the question, though:

Why does Jeff continue to keep the lights on here if he clearly is no longer an active participant (or even a lurker)? Is he actually the sole 'payer of fees', or are there others offering monetary support.... perhaps current members? (If so, depending on who these 'supporters' are, it may explain much of the allowable activity in this forum the last few years).

I'm at a loss to understand why he would continue to pay whatever hosting charges are incurred for a forum he no longer visits or moderates.

Any insight on this would be welcome, though I won't hold my breath.
Belligerent Savant

Postby identity » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:14 pm

It wasn't sarcasm! :)

I'm at a loss to understand why he would continue to pay whatever hosting charges are incurred for a forum he no longer visits or moderates.

Well, he is St. Jeff... (though it may not be appropriate to refer to this island of the damned as Little St. Jeff!)
identity

Postby coffin_dodger » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:01 pm

The "new topic" button
just sitting at the bar
waiting for someone
to try and hit it.

The words may not come that often,
allowing the music to speak,
but when they do,
they are wise.
coffin_dodger

Postby coffin_dodger » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:32 pm

How about an RI rebirth?

they can have their politics, politics, politics
we can all have our woo (and a little fun too)
tunnels and spirits and ghouls, the weird kind
alien lifeforms, lost civilisations, ecosystem mayhem
enlightenment, experience and true
to share a mind with another through finger tips
reach out for a hand in the mist
and hold on tight, it's real.

I've been lazy, but I am, at heart, a lazy person. I haven't started any new threads, all I've done recently is moan about other peoples threads that I don't like. Political adversaries. I'm done with politics - it's such bollocks. New is where the future lays. Not Trump, not Brexit, not Bernie Sanders, not Tulsi, not AOC but something new. We won't find the answers in politics, we'll find it in somewhere in woo.
coffin_dodger

Postby identity » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:42 pm

I've been lazy, but I am, at heart, a lazy person.

I can assure you that I am lazier, by far!

I haven't started any new threads, all I've done recently is moan about other peoples threads that I don't like.

That's a start! :)

Political adversaries. I'm done with politics - it's such bollocks. New is where the future lays. Not Trump, not Brexit, not Bernie Sanders, not Tulsi, not AOC but something new.

Have you listened to GW's latest podcast at runesoup (after his distressing visit to USA)?

We won't find the answers in politics, we'll find it in somewhere in woo

Hate that word, coined by materialists. Would prefer you used PSI.

And while there may not be any kind of "answer" in PSI, there is certainly a lot more fun (and learning!) than in what grabs the attention of thread proliferators here.
identity

Postby JackRiddler » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:18 pm

Belligerent Savant » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:00 pm wrote:.

Excellent suggestion, regardless.

It begs the question, though:

Why does Jeff continue to keep the lights on here if he clearly is no longer an active participant (or even a lurker)? Is he actually the sole 'payer of fees', or are there others offering monetary support.... perhaps current members? (If so, depending on who these 'supporters' are, it may explain much of the allowable activity in this forum the last few years).

A pretty deluxe hosting arrangement for hosting two URLs and small sites like this one in the U.S. sets me back like $150 a year. It's not like it's total peanuts to me but I bear it. I've paid that for several years to maintain basically dead sites, so as to keep alive the hope I or someone else will revive them. It's very minor to your average Westerner, might be the price of a dinner date. For Jeff I am sure it is not at all the case that someone else paying for these tiny "expenses" would be any kind of incentive to maintain the site. I believe you're definitely off in this assessment.

It's pretty clear, also from my communication with him, that Jeff a) wants to keep his URL and b) doesn't want the asspain of managing this board. But he doesn't mind our playing in it at his minor expense.

Judging by his daily FB posts, he would get a lot of heartburn from being involved here. And he does keep himself busy with what seems like more worthwhile shit. If he had taken a role in moderation here, it's pretty certain he would have clamped down on the flooding (and also much of the poison-pill alt-right-type stuff). In fact, we can see that without knowing any of the above. His recent noncommital "leave me alone" post is being radically misinterpreted by the opportunistic, reality-twisting bullshit of AD, SLAD and what shall I call them, Pearjerk? The Jerk Pair? The only substantive message in it was that the flooding should stop.

I expect that $1 per new thread wouldn't make a fuck of a difference. It's half a lottery ticket. It should jump to $199 after the 10th post in a year. Then we'd see if there were hidden money powers at work behind the Flood and Shit In It crew. (Obviously these ruminations are a fantasy.)

We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby streeb » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:06 pm

Pearjerk?

You mean the long suffering Pearjerk?
streeb