What are you reading right now?

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: What are you reading?

Postby DrEvil » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:00 pm

^^That's why I stick to fiction. Might as well read entertaining lies. :)

I'm about halfway through "We Sold Our Souls" by Grady Hendrix and loving it. It's a supernatural, heavy-metal odyssey, with mind control, UPS hitmen and concerts as elaborate rituals.

Next up I'm thinking Linda Nagata's Nanotech Succession books. I've been reading a lot of fantasy lately and need to balance my diet with some proper science fiction.

Some good ones I read recently:

- Gideon the Ninth by Tamsyn Muir
Lesbian necromancers in space. The book that made me start sorting my socks by genre.

- Ninth House by Leigh Bardugo
Occult goings on at Yale, where each of the secret societies specialize in a different kind of magic (the gnarly kind, where they "borrow" patients from hospitals so they can read fortunes in their entrails and get an edge on the stock market).
Note: There are several instances of sexual assault in it, so proceed with caution (rich kids with mind control magic. What could go wrong?)

- The Library of the Unwritten by A.J. Hackwith
The librarian of Hell, accompanied by an ex-muse, a newbie demon and a fictional hero, goes on an epic quest to retrieve Lucifer's Bible before Heaven gets its grubby hands on it
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:15 pm

DrEvil » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:00 pm wrote:- Ninth House by Leigh Bardugo
Occult goings on at Yale, where each of the secret societies specialize in a different kind of magic (the gnarly kind, where they "borrow" patients from hospitals so they can read fortunes in their entrails and get an edge on the stock market).
Note: There are several instances of sexual assault in it, so proceed with caution (rich kids with mind control magic. What could go wrong?)

I though you just said you stick to fiction, tho
Wombaticus Rex

Postby DrEvil » Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:10 am

"Fictional". Nudge nudge, wink wink.

Now you have me paranoid that Bardugo is a gatekeeper.
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Postby Searcher08 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:43 am

The last book I bought was "The Now Habit" by Neil Fiore, a book about overcoming procrastination.
Sadly, I still have not got round to reading it, yet.

On Audible I'm listening to The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg, which is an excellent balance between science and storytelling.
Searcher08

Postby Harvey » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:30 am

An American Story by Christopher Priest (author of The Glamour and The Prestige etc)

And while we spoke of many things, fools and kings
This he said to me
"The greatest thing
You'll ever learn
Is just to love
And be loved
In return"

Eden Ahbez
Harvey

Blog: View Blog (20)

Postby chump » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:41 pm

The Coronavirus Is Not “The Plague”: It Is the U.S.
By Edward Curtin
Global Research, March 20, 2020

Url of this article:
https://www.globalresearch.ca/coronavir ... us/5706850
 “Two categories of propaganda must be distinguished.  The first strives to create a permanent disposition in its objects and constantly needs to be reinforced.  Its goal is to make the masses ‘available,’ by working spells upon them and exercising a kind of fascination.  The second category involves the creation of a sort of temporary impulsiveness in its objects.  It operates by simple pressure and is often contradictory (since contradictory mass movement are sometimes necessary).”  – Jacques Ellul, The Technological Society

The French-Algerian writer Albert Camus’ great 1947 novel, The Plague, is a warning to us today, but a warning in disguise.  When he died sixty years ago at the young age of forty-six, he had already written The Stranger, The Fall, and The Plague, and had won the Nobel Prize for Literature.

The outward story of The Plague revolves around a malignant disease that breaks out in a town that is quarantined when the authorities issue a state of emergency. After first denying that they have a problem, the people gradually panic and feel painfully isolated.  Death fear runs rampant, much like today with the coronavirus. The authorities declare martial law as they warn that the situation is dire, people must be careful of associating, especially in groups, and they better obey orders or very many will die.  So the town is cordoned off.

Before this happens and the first signs that something is amiss emerge, the citizens of the town of Oran, Algeria remain oblivious, for they “work hard, but solely with the object of getting rich.”  Bored by their habits, heavily drugging themselves with drink, and watching many movies to distract themselves, they failed to grasp the significance of “the squelchy roundness of a still-warm body” of the plague-bearing rats that emerge from their underworld to die in their streets.  “It was as if the earth on which our houses stood were being purged of their secret humors; thrusting up to the surface the abscesses and pus-clots that had been forming in its entrails.”  To them the plague is “unthinkable,” an abstraction, until all their denials are swept aside as the truth emerges from the sewers and their neighbors and families die from the disease.

“Stupidity has a way of getting its way;” the narrator, Dr. Rieux tells us, “as we should see if we were not always so wrapped up in ourselves …. plagues and wars take people equally by surprise.”

The American people are wrapped up in themselves.  Nor do they recognize the true rats.  They are easily surprised; fooled would be a better word.

Camus uses a physical plague to disguise his real subject, which is the way people react when they are physically trapped by human rats who demand they obey orders and stay physically and mentally compliant as their freedom is taken from them.

The Plague is an allegorical depiction of the German occupation of France during World War II.  Camus had lived through that experience as a member of the French Resistance.  He was a writer and editor of the underground Resistance newspaper Combat, and with his artist’s touch he later made The Plague a revelatory read for today, especially for citizens of the United States, the greatest purveyor of the plague of violence in the world.

We are all infected with the soul-destroying evil that our leaders have loosed upon the world, a plague of killing that is now hidden behind the coronavirus fear that is being used to institute tight government controls that many will come to rue in the months ahead, just as happened after the attacks of September 11, 2001.

Coronavirus is a perfect cover-story for the occupation of the public’s mind by a propaganda apparatus that has grown even more devious over the past 19 years.

Ask yourself: Where is the news about U.S. military operations in Syria, Afghanistan, Yemen, Iraq, eastern Europe, Africa, Latin America, Asia, etc.?  There is none in the corporate mainstream media, and little in the alternative media as well.  Have those operations ceased?  Of course not.  It’s just that the news about them, little that it was, has disappeared.

Now it is all about us and the coronavirus panic.  It is about how many of us might die. It is about stocking toilet paper.  For the rich, it is about getting to their second or third houses where they can isolate themselves in splendor. As I write, 150 or so Americans are said to have died of Covid-19, and by the time you will read this the number will have climbed, but the number will be minuscule compared to the number of people in the U.S.A. and those numbers will be full of contradictions that few comprehend unless, rather than reacting in fear, they did some comprehensive research.

But arguments are quite useless in a time of panic when people are consumed with fear and just react.

For we live in plague time, and the plague lives in us. But to most Americans, Covid-19 is the plague, because the government and media have said it is.  Like the inhabitants of Oran, the United States is “peopled with sleep walkers,” pseudo-innocents, who are “chiefly aware of what ruffled the normal tenor of their lives or affected their interests.”  That their own government, no matter what political party is in power (both working for “deep-state,” elite interests led by the organized criminals of the CIA), is the disseminator of a world-wide plague of virulent violence, must be denied and divorced from consensus reality.

That these same forces would use the fear of disease to cow the population should be no surprise for those who have come to realize the truth of the attacks of September 11, 2001 and the anthrax attacks that followed, both of which were used to justify the endless “wars on terror” that have killed so many around the world. It is a shock for so many people who can’t countenance the thought that their own government could possibly be implicated in the death of thousands of U.S. citizens and the release of the deadly anthrax, which we know came from a U.S. lab and was carried out by a group of inside government perpetrators.

When it comes to the plague-stricken deaths visited on millions around the world for decades by the American government, this must be denied by diverting attention to partisan presidential politics, and now the coronavirus that engenders fear, loathing, and a child-like tendency to believe Big Brother.  The true plague, the bedrock of a nation continually waging wars through various means – i.e. bombs and economic and medical sanctions, etc. – against the world, disappears from consciousness.  As U.S. Secretary of State Madeleine Albright said to 60 Minutes Lesley Stahl in 1996 when Stahl asked her if the U.S. sanctions on Iraq that had resulted in the death of 500,000 Iraqi children were worth it: “We think the price is worth it.”

For “decent folks must be allowed to sleep at night,” says the character Tarrou sarcastically; he is a man who has lost his ability to “sleep well” since he witnessed a man’s execution where the “bullets make a hole into which you could thrust your fist.” He awakens to the realization that he “had an indirect hand in the deaths of thousands of people.”  He loses any peace he had and vows to resist the plague in every way he can.  “For many years I’ve been ashamed,” he says, “mortally ashamed, of having been, even with the best intentions, even at many removes, a murderer in my turn.”

The rats are dying in the streets. They are our rats, diseased by us. They have emerged from the underworld of a nation plagued by its denial.  Unconscious evil bubbles up.  We are an infected people. Worry and irritation – “these are not feelings with which to confront plague.” But we don’t seem ashamed of our complicity in our government’s crimes around the world.  For decades we have elected leaders who have killed millions, while business went on as usual. The killing didn’t touch us. As Camus said, “We fornicated and read the papers.”  He knew better. He warned us:

It’s a wearying business being plague-stricken.  But it’s still more wearying to refuse to be it. That’s why everybody in the world looks so tired; everyone is more or less sick of plague. But that is why some of us, those who want to get the plague out of their systems, feel such desperate weariness.

Yet the fight against the plague must go on.  Tarrou puts it thus:

All I maintain is that on this earth there are pestilences and there are victims, and it’s up to us, as far possible, not to join forces with the pestilences. That may sound simple to the point of childishness; I can’t judge if it’s simple, but I know it’s true. You see, I’d heard such quantities of arguments, which very nearly turned my head, and turned other people’s heads enough to make them approve of murder; and I’d come to realize that all our troubles spring from our failure to use plain, clear-cut language.  So I resolved always to speak – and to act – quite clearly, as this was the only way of setting myself on the right track.

These days, I keep thinking of an incident that occurred when I was a young investigator of sexually transmitted diseases, working for the U.S. Department of Health, Education, and Welfare through the Public Health Service as an epidemiologist.  My job was to track down sexually transmitted diseases by finding links of sexual contacts. One day I went to interview and take a blood sample from a poor woman who had been named as a sexual contact. I knocked on her door on the third or fourth floor of a walkup apartment building.  She looked through the peep-hole and asked who it was and I told her my name and what government agency I represented. I could tell she was very wary, but she opened the door. She stood there naked, a very heavy woman of perhaps 300 pounds. She nonchalantly welcomed me in and I followed her as she padded down the hall where she took a housecoat off a hook and put it on.

There is, as you know, an old tale by Hans Christian Anderson called “The Emperor’s New Clothes.” Although the emperor parades around naked, the adults make-believe he is clothed. Only a child sees the obvious. I was 23-years-old naïve young man at the time of this unforgettable incident, but it echoes in my mind as a reminder to myself that perhaps that woman was unconsciously teaching me a lesson in disguise.  The year was 1967, and when I went out to get into my government car with federal license plates, a white man in a white shirt in a white car in a poor black neighborhood, a hail of bricks rained down toward me and the car from the roof opposite.  I quickly jumped in and fled as the ghettos were exploding. Soon the National Guard would be called out to occupy them.

Intuition tells me that although the emperor has no clothes and a vast PSYOPS occupation is now underway, too many are too grown-up to see it.

It’s an old story continually updated.  Like The Plague.
chump

Postby chump » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:50 am

http://cluborlov.blogspot.com/2020/03/b ... wuhan.html

THURSDAY, MARCH 19, 2020
Bat-eating Troglodytes of Wuhan

[Warning: Anyone who makes racist remarks about bat-eating troglodytes shall be banned.]

The year was 2040, and the global coronavirus pandemic was in its 20th year. A young couple was on a date, walking together. They did not hold hands, embrace or kiss but maintained a distance of at least one meter between them and wore eye protection and face masks, as prescribed by law. It had been a long time since they were able to meet, because one or the other of them had a cough, or sniffles—a seasonal allergy, or perhaps a slight cold—and such symptoms made it necessary for them to exist in complete seclusion, their food and other necessities delivered by robots. Pale and weak after their lengthy period of isolation, they strolled and squinted in the bright sunlight, in the recently sanitized, secure space of the promenade, in full view of security cameras, and listened to the shrill high-pitched squeaks emitted by a loudspeaker system that were intended to scare away bats. They were at all times being chaperoned by AI software which sounded an alarm whenever they came too close to each other or, God forbid, actually touched.

The young couple had something important to discuss: they wanted to marry and have children, but were unsure if they could ever raise enough money for the lab tests on the sperm samples (to rule out viral contamination) and the artificial insemination procedure, made necessary by the prohibition against any direct, unsupervised sharing of bodily fluids. There was also the fear that the lab tests would produce a false positive or discover real viral contamination—an event that could result in them being committed to solitary confinement in a hospital that would last for as long as it took for them to be certified virus-free.

They were both young—born just as the pandemic hit. Having known no other life, they considered their situation and this way of living perfectly normal. What they had been taught about life before the pandemic filled them with horror: How could people have been so careless?—touching, not wearing face masks, walking close together, sharing bodily fluids… Clearly, they thought, given such recklessness, a pandemic is exactly what such people deserved! They were glad to be living in a more enlightened age.

To add to the horror, they knew that such recklessly unsanitary people still existed! Jokingly referred to as “the bat-eating troglodytes of Wuhan,” they dwelled outside the high concrete walls that surrounded the relatively coronavirus-free compounds, where they grew food and raised pigs and chickens. Since such activities inevitably exposed them to numerous potentially dangerous pathogens that are found in nature, they were considered highly contaminating, and all direct physical contact with them was strictly forbidden.

In spite of all these restrictions, it could be said that this young couple was happy, the way young couples in love often are regardless of various vicissitudes. But this couple was particularly happy because all of these precautions made them feel perfectly safe and protected. There were, however, some worrisome questions that cast a long shadow on their bliss. They did not dare to voice them, first because they were so uncomfortable that voicing them would instantly make their relationship awkward; and second because, if overheard by other people, they would consider even raising such questions to be something like a thought crime.

“What if the dreaded coronavirus didn’t actually exist? Or what if it had existed 20 years earlier, but had since burned itself out? Or what if the virus was still around but was no longer dangerous to anyone except the extremely sick, who would die anyway? What if there was no longer any real danger to motivate maintaining all of these various restrictions and precautions. What if they stayed in effect out of an increasingly irrational phobia that had become so ingrained that a wide range of compulsive behaviors and rituals became necessary to avoid triggering it? What if their obsession with hygiene was itself an illness?”

It would have been hard to tell whether the bat-eating troglodytes who dwelled outside the high-security perimeter were any happier. Their lives were shortened by lack of hygiene and good medical care, and once in a while some of them got wiped out, together with their flocks and herds, when a particularly virulent swine flu or avian flu would make a periodic appearance. On the plus side, it was unlikely that they spent much time or effort engaged in a wide range of compulsive behaviors to avoid contagion, or obsessing over whether such compulsive behaviors were justified.

The last constituency whose happiness we must perforce consider is, of course, the viruses. It is certain that our young couple and their cohort, what with their slavish adherence to extra-good hygiene, made viruses quite miserable, perhaps driving some of them to outright extinction. The troglodytes, on the other hand, probably made the viruses quite happy: instead of exterminating them, they naturally worked out a convivial arrangement with them. After all, what makes viruses happy is same as what makes all living things happy: being able to be fruitful and multiply. Making people feel too sick to go out in public is not really on strategy for a virus, although making people want to go out in public but cough and sneeze periodically is an excellent idea for a virus that wants to spread its progeny far and wide. Making people seriously ill, never mind killing them, is something that only the rudest, most undisciplined viruses do, usually because they are new at it, having recently made a jump from animals to humans. Luckily, viruses are reformable: we punish them by quarantining the sick and reward them by letting the healthy mix their bodily fluids.

This story is based on a plot for a film which Karen Shakhnazarov, head of Mosfilm studio, proposed last night, in an offhand, half-joking way, during a live television appearance on Vladimir Solovyov’s late night comedy program “What the fuck is wrong with the Ukrainians?” My preferred genre for telling Shakhnazarov’s proposed story would be as a musical comedy. Which role would you prefer to play? One of the young lovers, perhaps? The tension from the not being able to touch, setting off an alarm whenever they come any closer than one meter, would be delicious! Or would you prefer to join the merry troupe of troglodytes with their lively pantomime pigs and chickens coughing and sneezing up a storm? Or perhaps a more suitable role for you would be as one of the viruses? You would get to wear a corona (crown), sing in a chorus and also get to perform in one or two memorable song-and-dance numbers.

[... con'd]
chump

Postby norton ash » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:23 pm

Re-reading Nemesis by Phillip Roth about the polio epidemic in Newark, 1944.
Zen horse
norton ash

Postby cptmarginal » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:48 pm

Image Image

Image Image
The new way of thinking is precisely delineated by what it is not.
cptmarginal

Postby Harvey » Fri May 22, 2020 12:04 pm

Very enjoyable (and disturbing) so far.

And while we spoke of many things, fools and kings
This he said to me
"The greatest thing
You'll ever learn
Is just to love
And be loved
In return"

Eden Ahbez
Harvey

Blog: View Blog (20)

Postby Grizzly » Fri May 22, 2020 5:56 pm

I'm feeling a little bit self conscience as I know there is another what are you treading thread which is far and above this one, (not to say the replies aren't welcome they are. And I know the mods have better things to do, but is it possible to find the other reading thread and combine them? I value the posters here even if I don't always nessaraly agree with em.

And I'm always interested in what others are reading. Bibliotherapy, baby...

oh, and since most of us know Alphabet aka google's search engine is now the mockingbird op we always knew it was, and I've given up searching the archives here.
“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Postby Iamwhomiam » Fri May 22, 2020 6:03 pm

The other thread you're referring to Grizzly, "What are you reading right now?" that was initiated by Jerky, is located in a different forum than this thread; it's in the Lounge.
Iamwhomiam

Postby Belligerent Savant » Fri May 22, 2020 6:53 pm

Is the 'Lounge' still accessible? I don't see it currently listed in the board index...

As far as my current reading material, I'm re-reading Vonnegut's Sirens of Titan, one of my early favorites, and also aiming for another pass at Pynchon's Gravity's Rainbow as I didn't fully absorb it during my first pass.

I'd like to check prior RI book recommendations as well, particularly anything related to the (un-authorized, naturally) history of govt involvement in trafficking, coups, assassinations, etc. I recall a number of solid choices touted here in prior threads.
Belligerent Savant

Postby norton ash » Fri May 22, 2020 7:00 pm

The Conspiracy by that old bonesman John Hersey. About Piso's conspiracy to take out Nero. Poets and philosophers against career military, secret police, and palace staff. Wonder who'll win?
Zen horse
norton ash

Postby Iamwhomiam » Fri May 22, 2020 8:01 pm

Belligerent Savant » Fri May 22, 2020 6:53 pm wrote:.

Is the 'Lounge' still accessible? I don't see it currently listed in the board index...

As far as my current reading material, I'm re-reading Vonnegut's Sirens of Titan, one of my early favorites, and also aiming for another pass at Pynchon's Gravity's Rainbow as I didn't fully absorb it during my first pass.

I'd like to check prior RI book recommendations as well, particularly anything related to the (un-authorized, naturally) history of govt involvement in trafficking, coups, assassinations, etc. I recall a number of solid choices touted here in prior threads.

Yes, it's listed up top, along with General Discussion & the Data Dump, just above Members Notice Board..
Iamwhomiam

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion