Bet on Dem VP! (Switches to: "Spring 2020 Riots Thread")

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Who will be the actual Democratic candidate?

Sen. Harris
12%
Sen. Klobuchar
No votes
Sen. Warren
4%
Stacey Abrams
4%
Michelle Obama
16%
Secretary Clinton
16%
Gov. Whitmer
4%
Other VP candidate (click this and specify below)
12%
Brokered convention surprise: Other (click and specify)
12%
Rope-a-dope: Biden implodes, Sanders re-emerges
20%

Total votes : 25

Re: Bet on Dem VP! (Switches to: "Spring 2020 Riots Thread")

Postby DrEvil » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:43 pm

^^It's a competing government the same way Freetown Christiania is a competing government to the danish crown. They'll be taking over as soon as they finish this joint.
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby JackRiddler » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:12 pm

DrEvil » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:43 pm wrote:^^It's a competing government the same way Freetown Christiania is a competing government to the danish crown. They'll be taking over as soon as they finish this joint.

The Seattle temporary thing was something like 0.0001% of what Christiana is. (I was there 20 years ago and am very happy to hear your implication it is still there.) Actually, add a few hundred zeroes. Christiana actually runs something sustainable and partly autonomous of the rest of the society. The awful article reaches light-years beyond the merely absurd with the words "establishment" and "government." A riot (initiated as almost always by cop outrages) was allowed to hold some blocks for a few days, something that even in U.S. history happens an average of every five years. And of course it made no serious claims of being a "government." By this intellectual miscreant's standard, every political squat or factory occupation is the establishment of a competing government, Zuccotti Park was the Paris Commune, the Bundy bullshit and Waco were nation-states, and the LA riots of 1992 and the Utah 'war' were both bigger than the Roman Empire.

We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Re: Pool: Who Is the Actual Democratic Candidate?

Postby Elvis » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:27 am

Elvis » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:50 pm wrote:Based on her very chipper demeanor in Twitter videos, I think Harris has been told.

So, do I win? I call this calling it. :wink :bigsmile
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby DrEvil » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:57 pm

JackRiddler » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:12 am wrote:
DrEvil » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:43 pm wrote:^^It's a competing government the same way Freetown Christiania is a competing government to the danish crown. They'll be taking over as soon as they finish this joint.

The Seattle temporary thing was something like 0.0001% of what Christiana is. (I was there 20 years ago and am very happy to hear your implication it is still there.) Actually, add a few hundred zeroes. Christiana actually runs something sustainable and partly autonomous of the rest of the society. The awful article reaches light-years beyond the merely absurd with the words "establishment" and "government." A riot (initiated as almost always by cop outrages) was allowed to hold some blocks for a few days, something that even in U.S. history happens an average of every five years. And of course it made no serious claims of being a "government." By this intellectual miscreant's standard, every political squat or factory occupation is the establishment of a competing government, Zuccotti Park was the Paris Commune, the Bundy bullshit and Waco were nation-states, and the LA riots of 1992 and the Utah 'war' were both bigger than the Roman Empire.

Christiania is still going strong as far as I know. The previous conservative government tried really hard to fuck with them by upping the number of police patrols to several a day (in full combat gear) and tearing down the stalls in Pusher Street. The Christiania Law was also repealed, so Danish law now applies, and they tried to sell off the land for development, but the residents set up a fund and managed to buy some of it themselves. The stalls are back up and for all intents and purposes it's the same old anarchist/hippy commune it used to be.

The author also misses out on the fact that there are already several autonomous zones in the US that have existed for years without toppling the federal government. They happen all the time and nobody cares.
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Previous

Return to General Discussion