Bet on Dem VP! (Switches to: "Spring 2020 Riots Thread")

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Who will be the actual Democratic candidate?

Sen. Harris
12%
Sen. Klobuchar
No votes
Sen. Warren
4%
Stacey Abrams
4%
Michelle Obama
16%
Secretary Clinton
16%
Gov. Whitmer
4%
Other VP candidate (click this and specify below)
12%
Brokered convention surprise: Other (click and specify)
12%
Rope-a-dope: Biden implodes, Sanders re-emerges
20%

Total votes : 25

Re: Bet on Dem VP! (Switches to: "Spring 2020 Riots Thread")

Postby thrulookingglass » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:43 am

Seriously!? Is that what we're worried about is "Satanic" panic hand gestures?! Corporations busy fucking up the world, more pollution, head mired in fucking bank notes, war-gasms a plenty on the face of planet earth, torpid fools usurping natural resources, military industrial complex buying and selling our children off to ruthless brutal tyrant kings for centuries, patently cruel "criminal justice" system, economic warfare, but what I'm most worried about is a pedo-elite dead sea salt pentagrams formed at the exact peak sun of the solstice! Fuck off world.

NO ONE EVER FIXED ANYTHING WITHOUT GETTING ORGANIZED!

Solidarity! Prisoners in concentration camps/relocation camps work together to force their captors to recognize the vulgarity of their behaviors! Until we do the same we're all fucked! A prison riot of one don't mean shit! Jack Jr.?!? Diana?!? WTF! I'm sure if someone followed anyone of us with a camera long enough we'd have eventually placed our hands in that same shape! Get fucking real folks. FUCK QANON! Contrived bullshit artist! Internet FUGAZI red fucking herring! A magician's diversion! Go join FOOD NOT BOMBS if you want to save the world. Start a food co-op, or a farmers co-op, build community, a tenants rights group, log on to the IWW and start a fucking union, create justice, peace, LOVE and stop worrying about demonic luciferian fairies from Alpha Draconis!
thrulookingglass

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Belligerent Savant » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:21 am

liminalOyster » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:10 am wrote:
Belligerent Savant » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:59 pm wrote:.

To what extent do these statue topplers know that the only logical conclusion, when applying their sense of moral purity, is that the entire U.S., the whole system and all its boundaries/territories, must promptly be dismantled, as it's all acquired via land grabs and the rape/plunder/murder of indigenous peoples (and built up in no small part via slave labor, including hard labor of immigrants)?

Based on what I've seen, I'm going to say that a substantial mass of those who want to abolish the police and are willing to topple statues have a pretty good commitment to see it through. I don't think this has much to do with "moral purity" either. The U.S. was never going to evade Truth and Reconciliation if some sort of Leftist party never seized power from the mob. I think its pretty easy to pinpoint the moment this outcome was set in stone, too:

I've no doubt there is commitment there. I suspect/fear we're all being played across the board, however. There is a long con going at a macro level, leveraging existing (and justified) frustration, disenfranchisement, and injustice for ends that will not benefit the majority.

I'd like to be proven wrong, but what I see unfolding is a big time bait and switch operation.*

*i'm not suggesting all of what's happening is part of a 'master plan' - it's not as simple as that, as many of us have been appreciating over the years.
A fair amount of current activity may well be 'grassroots' at conception. The end result is what matters, however.
Belligerent Savant

Postby Harvey » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:50 am

Tactical oportunism can be confused with long term strategic coherence even by those engaged in it. After all, the seeding of chaos is of short term practical benefit only to those already positioned to benefit from it, only then in the shortest of terms and only with ever increasing risk of of sudden onset catastrophic collapse of delicate interdependent systems from ecology to economies. I assume internecine struggle in the context of dominant global corporate neo-fuedalism and work from there.
And while we spoke of many things, fools and kings
This he said to me
"The greatest thing
You'll ever learn
Is just to love
And be loved
In return"

Eden Ahbez
Harvey

Blog: View Blog (20)

Postby Grizzly » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:02 am

The title to this thread has been changed so many times, I'm not sure if this is where this even goes, any-more, but...
Bodycam video shows officer pulled gun on George Floyd at the start
Video from body cameras worn by two of the officers involved in the killing of George Floyd was viewed by the public for the first time.

https://www.startribune.com/floyd-video-gun-pulled-without-explanation/571778072/?refresh=true
“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Re: Bet on Dem VP!

Postby JackRiddler » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:50 pm

Lost the bet by the old rules. Switched my vote to Whitmer, not for her as such but as a placeholder for white "heartland" right-wing ("moderate") feisty type. Her, Baldwin, someone like that.
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby Grizzly » Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:18 am

7 days ago, rep. Alma Adams falsely tweeted that John Lewis had died. 1 week later, he passed away.

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/506913-congresswoman-accidentally-tweets-of-death-of-rep-john-lewis

Surely, just another "Coincidance"?*

*Hat tip to Robert Anton Wilson, from Coincidance : A Head Test
“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Postby mentalgongfu2 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:44 am

Surely, just another "Coincidance"?*

Is there reason to think it isn't?

Pancreatic cancer is not known for it's high survival rate, apparently due to it generally being diagnosed too late for treatment to be effective.
"When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media in order to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink!"
mentalgongfu2

Postby stickdog99 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:34 pm

https://sirota.substack.com/p/dems-ster ... cYvm-nhkrc

Dems' Sternly Worded Letter Won't Stop Fascism

Democrats issue press releases & letters that insist they want to stop Trump, and then those Dems continue to obediently help him. Now, Trump officials are boasting about plans to invade cities.

Two weeks ago, the Associated Press reported that President Trump deployed unidentified agents from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security to Portland, Ore., where they were filmed getting out of unmarked vehicles and abducting protesters off the street.

A few days later, House Democrats responded by obediently advancing an appropriations bill that funds the department -- with no apparent restrictions on such deployments. “This bill as a whole will strengthen our security and keep Americans safe while upholding our American values of fairness and respect,” said Democratic House Appropriations Committee Chairwoman Nita Lowey, amid growing outrage at the situation in Oregon.

With congressional Democrats on their way to approving $50 billion for DHS, Trump administration officials are now boasting about their plans to replicate the Portland invasion in other cities. Those officials seem emboldened to ignore local Democratic opposition to the federal deployments. “I don’t need invitations by state mayors or state governors to do our job -- we’re going to do that whether they like us there or not,” Acting DHS Secretary Chad Wolf defiantly declared on Fox News this morning.

While it is true that the current Homeland Security funding bill has a few good things in it (it rejects funding for Trump’s border wall), the larger point is clear: Once again, while Democrats issue press releases telling America they really want to stop Trump, and while Democrats actually have a huge amount of power to do just that, they often refuse to use that power. They clearly expect nobody to mind the yawning gap between their #Resistance rhetoric and their lack of action -- even as the White House now openly threatens to ignore federal laws.

Authoritarian governments, not democratic republics, send unmarked authorities after protesters. These Trump/Barr tactics designed to eliminate any accountability are absolutely unacceptable in America, and must end. This isn’t some isolated incident. We’ve seen this act over and over again: Democrats slam Trump’s authoritarianism and corporatism, while pushing to give him more police power and rubber-stamping his corporate bailouts. Indeed, at times it almost seems as if Democrats are engaging in deliberate performance art to try to dare us to care about this bait and switch -- as if they really cannot believe we are all this ignorant or asleep to not even notice the swindle.

In the Portland conflict, just consider the behavior of Reps. Carolyn Maloney, Jerrold Nadler and Bennie Thompson -- three of the most powerful lawmakers in the House. As chairs of key committees, they have the subpoena authority to mount serious investigations of the executive branch. Literally, that’s their most basic oversight responsibilities, which are especially critical in situations like this when an agency has reportedly created a secret task force that may be overstepping its legal authority.

Maloney this weekend acknowledged the gravity of the situation, declaring that what’s going on in Portland “is fascism, and it cannot stand.”

Those are strong words -- but Maloney then boasted that she, Nadler and Thompson are standing up to the fascism by… sending a sternly worded letter to two executive branch inspectors general asking them to look into the situation.

“This letter is step #1 in stopping it,” she asserted, without a hint of sarcasm.

This is beyond learned helplessness -- this is a deliberate refusal to do the absolute minimum part of the job of oversight, at a moment when the president appears to be using federal resources in an unprecedented way.

These are chairpeople in a coequal branch of government who say they understand the imminent threat of fascism and who could be issuing subpoenas and launching hearings, but who are instead sending sternly worded letters with no force of law, and then publicly congratulating themselves.

Maybe with enough pressure, we will see Democrats like Maloney and other chairpeople actually start taking their jobs seriously. Maybe with enough screaming, they will actually issue subpoenas or hold hearings. But why should it take a mass mobilization to get these people to do the most minimal parts of their jobs? Indeed, if House Democrats are going to spend tens of millions dollars to win control of a chamber of Congress and then refuse to use their power to stop Trump, then we should be asking them the same question that the Bobs asked Tom Smykowski in the film Office Space:

What would you say you do here?

stickdog99

Summer 2020 Riots Thread

Postby Cordelia » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:17 pm

This weekend in NYC, Seattle, Austin & Portland:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY7nyZJax3g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbBbsduIF6Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYqLkYo_NGA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8j3h7fuYsY

It’s still July and August doesn’t bode well if unemployment relief & eviction moratoriums end, small businesses continue to close, the economy continues to tank, etc., w/no drastic, long-lasting & far-reaching plans in sight. Schools are closed and any hope for future careers are ending; if the population is increasingly frustrated and fed-up, riots may not ‘just’ be about race & police brutality; they'll be about the looming cliff and whose lives matter more.

The greatest sin is to be unconscious. ~ Carl Jung

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:06 pm

The events of this weekend make it pretty clear that, in addition to the Marxists and boutique Anarchists who were already up in the planning/execution OODA loop of these protests, there are now a bunch of new -- and newly deputized -- Feds escalating the violence and heightening the contradictions.

Trained Marxists are a competent, nuts-and-bolts bunch who truly do "Hate America," in any realistic sense, but at least aren't suicidally stupid. They view the bulk of people at protests as potential converts and their relationship with the flock is mostly quite benevolent, even though they see themselves as a beleagured vanguard. I don't like them but I hardly hate 'em. Like so many activists, they will mostly devour each other if left to their own devices, it's just important to keep them away from funding.

Networked, dedicated Anarchists (I hesitate to call their recruitment pipelines or rites of passage "training") are a much dumber lot, although often much better writers despite that. They view the bulk of people at protests as cover, as human capital, as a means to an end -- a neat inversion of the neoliberal corporate America they hate so much. They're happy to provoke violence and then flee to let wine moms and cool dads and vaguely political college kids take the tear gas, pellets and batons for them. This is the whole of their parasite praxis.

In the aftermath of Minneapolis, Anarchists at Crimethinc (link above) protested that writing off all their violence as the work of police provocateurs was an insult to their agency. This is quite so. I don't mean to imply that every moron dicknose with a gun at these Black Lives Matter protests is there under a false flag -- there are many thousands of angry young men and women who truly believe that this time, this time, is truly the revolution. Few of them have any idea how to operate firearms safely, or indeed at all.

But the incident in Provo, Utah back at the end of June pointed towards where July is ending up, and inevitably, what August will be. Mass shootings at these protests will become numblingly, boringly common, as normal as shutting down interstates or swarming private homes. Just like the point of parading Greta Thunberg around the globe is creating a platform to spotlight the screeching hatred of adult men who get triggered by that grumpy elf of doom, just like the point of huge Black Lives Matter murals and street art is to invite vandalism and publicize those "hate crimes," the point of shutting down roads and highways is creating a platform to spotlight vehicular violence against the bodies of the protesters, to create new outrages and new martyrs. These are calculated steps, not organic, emergent strategies.

Keep marching, by all means, but remember that neither the organizers nor the opposition have your best interests in mind. You're just meat in the street. Being surprised by violence at this point is deliberately naive.

With all this in mind, though, it's worth revisiting the paper "Subversion of Social Movements by Adversarial Agents." It was basically a "lessons learned" primer on how #OCCUPY got neutralized, from the perspective of the Federal and military law enforcement. There was a whole other paper the could have been written on that subject from the POV of unions, the DNC and MoveOn organizers, who were equally integral to destroying that momentum.

To be clear, while media hysterics are keen to frame the LEO response to PDX unrest as "Trump's Secret Police," Trump is quite disengaged from this, as with everything else in his administration. Only his brand, his image, means anything to that fat fuck. That's DHS running on autopilot, and another part of that tactical toolkit is the infiltrators and agitators who are already there, cheerleading more spectacular violence, more militant resistance.

Black Lives Matter needs to co-opted and controlled no matter who wins in November 2020, and it's getting there already, with celebrities speaking up over the voices of activists, with billion dollar brands taking over the messaging and the dialog, and the revolution against systemic racism being reduced to a jobs program and an "anti-racist education" industry. This is just how our system works, here in America.

So in service of all that, the street protests need to be rolled back, especially before the next wave of evictions and layoffs come and all this "community organizing" starts growing into a more generalized economic justice movement. The organic basis for all this is harder to control than the media coverage and the coordinated corporate support. It's far better to have whiteness as the enemy, and dangerous to have the focus turn to banks, oligarchs and the politicians who enable it all.

Turning marches into shooting galleries is a pretty effective means to those ends. Again, it's not all PMC operators and Fed assets doing the shooting. But it ain't all organically grown morons, either. We're going to see some shooting incidents -- possibly this week, too -- that smell just as strange as the George Floyd incident that started all this off in the first place.
Wombaticus Rex

Postby norton ash » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:52 am

^^^ Strong take, Wombat. Ideally, peaceful action toward economic justice is the next route.
Zen horse
norton ash

Postby Cordelia » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:59 pm

Thanks very much for your concise summation Wombat. :thumbsup

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

Postby Harvey » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:16 pm

Wombaticus Rex » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:06 am wrote: the next wave of evictions and layoffs

This ought to be the focus of future action. Defend each others homes. Defend each others jobs and communities. Organise around the principle of community and solidarity. Make the case for attacking the real enemy where they live: A global debt amnesty. Their debt to us is far, far greater.

let our
focus turn to banks, oligarchs and the politicians who enable it all.
And while we spoke of many things, fools and kings
This he said to me
"The greatest thing
You'll ever learn
Is just to love
And be loved
In return"

Eden Ahbez
Harvey

Blog: View Blog (20)

Postby Cordelia » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:12 pm

This about last weekend's shooting death of Austin protestor merits attention:

Army Sergeant Shot Garrett Foster In Self Defense, Law Firm Says

By Stephanie Federico | KUT • Jul 31, 2020

An Army sergeant driving for a ride-hailing company shot Garrett Foster "to protect his own life," the law firm representing the man said in a press release.

Daniel Perry is a sergeant with the U.S. Army.

Daniel Perry turned onto Congress Avenue on the night of July 25 when he encountered a group of Black Lives Matter protesters, according to the release issued by the firm of Broden & Mickelsen. The statement said several people approached Perry's vehicle and started banging on it. The press release continues:

An individual carrying an assault rifle, now known to be Garrett Foster, quickly approached the car and then motioned with the assault rifle for Mr. Perry to lower his window. Sgt. Perry initially believed the person was associated with law enforcement and complied with the command. After rolling down the window, it became apparent to Sgt. Perry that the individual with the assault rifle was not with law enforcement. It has now been confirmed by several witnesses that this individual with the assault rifle then began to raise the assault rifle toward Sgt. Perry. It was only then that Sgt. Perry, who carried a handgun in his car for his own protection while driving strangers in the ride share program, fired on the person to protect his own life.

The lawyers state that Perry immediately called police after the incident and was cooperating with the investigation.

The Austin Police Department issued a statement on Thursday saying it would not confirm the name of the shooter. It said detectives are still interviewing witnesses and reviewing video footage provided by businesses in the area.

This story is developing. Check back for updates.

https://www.kut.org/post/army-sergeant- ... -firm-says

eta, there's also:

U.S. Army sergeant who shot Austin protester Garrett Foster posted tweets about retaliating against demonstrators

July 31, 2020

...Perry’s lawyer also confirmed to The Texas Tribune late Friday that his client wrote tweets that have strengthened activists’ concerns about the shooter’s frame of mind, the validity of his self-defense claim and Austin police officials’ handling of the investigation...

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/07/31 ... tt-foster/

(Truth lies in the eyes of the beholder.)

Cordelia

Windy City Summer 2020 Riots Thread

Postby Cordelia » Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:05 pm

Aftermath of looting in downtown Chicago: 13 cops injured, 2 people shot, more than 100 arrests, Mag Mile trashed

By Paige Fry, Jeremy Gorner, Gregory Pratt, Megan Crepeau, Stacy St. Clair and Claire Hao
Chicago Tribune Aug 10, 2020 at 1:18 PM

Hundreds of people swept through the Magnificent Mile and other parts of downtown Chicago early Monday, smashing windows, looting stores, confronting police and at one point exchanging gunfire with officers, authorities said.

More than 100 people were arrested as of 9 a.m., according to Chicago police Superintendent David Brown. Thirteen officers were injured during the unrest, including a sergeant who was hit by a bottle. A civilian and private security guard were shot and wounded.

MORE...https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/bre ... story.html

More danger forecasted today:

CHICAGO - Severe storms are expected to push through the Chicago area Monday afternoon, bringing possible wind gusts up to 100 mph in what forecasters are calling “a particularly dangerous situation.”

Published 2 hours ago Updated 46 mins ago

https://www.fox32chicago.com/weather/da ... orecasters

Cordelia

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion