Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: SARS Cov 2: Science-only thread

Postby Grizzly » Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:52 am

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0239252
SARS-CoV-2 positivity rates associated with circulating Vitamin D levels

-----
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=24526138

From the comments...

There is a whole body of research around the ways that vitamin D modulates inflammation, helps regulate calcium homeostasis and strengthens circadian rhythm. Here is some relevant research:

- vitamin D is directly involved in regulating the renin-angiotensin system, including ACE2 expression. ( https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3999581/ )

- vitamin D has been shown to have anti-inflammatory activity with respect to cytokines specifically involved in advanced COVID-19 cases ( https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6164284/ )

- vitamin D and magnesium insufficiency both cause hypocalcemia, which has been connected to COVID-19 severity: ( https://www.researchsquare.com/article/rs-17575/v1 )

- magnesium and vitamin K2 also modulate calcium homeostasis ( you can look this one up yourself I need to get off this phone )

^^^ this is a snippet from a letter I sent to the local health department. I sure hope someone read it!

Many more educational and thought provoking comments at the HN ycombinator sight...
“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Postby §ê¢rꆧ » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:31 am

Beginning September 1 at 11:30 a.m. ET (8:30 a.m. PT), MIT is offering a course on “COVID-19, SARS-CoV-2 and the Pandemic.” The course’s lectures will be livestreamed every Tuesday and are free to the public. (Only enrolled students can ask questions, but everyone can watch.)

first three lectures are up

https://biology.mit.edu/undergraduate/c ... -pandemic/
§ê¢rꆧ

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:26 pm

Abstract
As coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) continues to spread, a detailed understanding on the transmission mechanisms is of paramount importance. The disease transmits mainly through respiratory droplets and aerosol. Although models for the evaporation and trajectory of respiratory droplets have been developed, how the environment impacts the transmission of COVID-19 is still unclear. In this study, we investigate the propagation of respiratory droplets and aerosol particles generated by speech under a wide range of temperatures (0–40 °C) and relative humidity (0–92%) conditions. We show that droplets can travel three times farther in low-temperature and high-humidity environment, whereas the number of aerosol particles increases in high-temperature and low-humidity environments. The results also underscore the importance of proper ventilation, as droplets and aerosol spread significantly farther in airstreams. This study contributes to the understanding of the environmental impact on COVID-19 transmission.

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/acs.nanolett.0c03331
Joe Hillshoist

Postby dada » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:55 am

Strengthening Immunity Against COVID-19 segment from NHK World.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/tv/medicalfrontiers/20201110/2050094/
Both his words and manner of speech seemed at first totally unfamiliar to me, and yet somehow they stirred memories - as an actor might be stirred by the forgotten lines of some role he had played far away and long ago.
dada

Postby Belligerent Savant » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:25 pm

Strengthening immunity to combat any illness/virus:

- vitamin D intake via exposure to the sun/outdoors.

- taking longer walks, or otherwise jogs or bike rides. Any form of exercise, even if only for 30 min, on a daily basis.

- interact with other humans, in-person, rather than through screens. Genuine laughter helps.

- in addition to exercise, other forms of decompression, such as meditation, reading, listening to music, can help.

- avoid processed foods, fast foods, foods with excess preservatives; eat locally grown food to the extent available/accessible. Garlic, cayenne, turmeric are all useful natural anti-inflamatory/immune-boosting ingredients to include in food, among others.

- minimize intake of establishment news, or any news for that matter.

- if taking supplements, stick to vitamin D and Zinc. Avoid 'multivitamin' supplements.

Repeat the above steps daily, weekly.
Belligerent Savant

Postby dada » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:12 pm

A facemask is just an added layer of protection. The virus doesn't change that. Even were there not an unusally contagious virus making the rounds, it would still be a generally helpful thing.

Please try to avoid turning this thread into another soapbox.
Both his words and manner of speech seemed at first totally unfamiliar to me, and yet somehow they stirred memories - as an actor might be stirred by the forgotten lines of some role he had played far away and long ago.
dada

Postby Belligerent Savant » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:50 pm

I never brought up a facemask here, nor was there any hint of referencing 'facemask usage' in my response.

In truth, i didn't click your link. Given your reply, I can only guess it included a reference to facemask usage.

That aside, since you brought it up: an argument CAN be made that excessive facemask use by healthy individuals is indeed detrimental to health for a number of reasons. Given the fact healthy individuals didn't wear facemasks outdoors prior to this year, why would it be a "generally helpful thing"? Would you have said that last year? What's changed, other than external conditioning mechanisms?

Let me be clear: i have no qualms with any human that opts to wear a mask. That's their choice. I DO have a vehement objection towards MASK MANDATES when outdoors, however.

You can choose to respond or not -- in the spirit of keeping to the OP, i won't be replying further to comments Re: facemasks in this thread.

(It should be clear that i'm not one for passive aggressive allusions. If i had a mind to mention masks i would have done so, plainly and clearly).
Belligerent Savant

Postby dada » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:48 pm

That wasn't an accusation, but a request going forward. Just my way of getting out ahead of it.
dada

Postby §ê¢rꆧ » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:32 am

I haven't seen much discussion here on RI about the 'long-hauler' phenomenon we are seeing with SARS-Cov-2. This is one of the most worrying aspects in my view, and why I still believe taking the conservative approach to risk-management (masks, social distancing, contract-tracing) is the best course, in spite of all the negatives and new risks those actions present (poverty, isolation, mental illness, surveillance state, and so on). These are *terrible* consequences of the pandemic that are just as important to address, but not by denying the sheer shitfuckery of SARS-CoV-2!

#LongHaulers – A New Infectious Disease But a Not-so-new Postviral Phenomenon (11/20/20)
https://scienceoveracuppa.com/2020/11/2 ... henomenon/

According to ongoing research, about 10-15% of people develop long COVID. This is very similar to other postviral syndromes (e.g., measles). The most common symptoms of long COVID are:

Fatigue
Headache
Dyspea (shortness of breath)
Anosmia (loss of smell)
Pain with deep breaths, chest pain
Cough
Joint pain

Other symptoms that are also somewhat common in long COVID include:

Palpitations
Tachycardia (rapid heartbeat)
Concentration and memory issues
Tinnitus, earache
Symptoms of peripheral neuropathy (pins and needles, numbness)
Muscle pain
Depression

Within long COVID, there are two main patterns or constellations of ongoing symptoms:

Fatigue, headache, and upper respiratory complaints (shortness of breath, sore throat, persistent cough, loss of smell)
Ongoing fever and gastrointestinal symptoms

People who experience the following are more likely to experience long COVID:

Severe illness
Increasing age
Higher body mass index (BMI)
Female sex
Pre-existing asthma
Initial symptoms of shortness of breath
5 or more symptoms in the first week of infection

In particular, five or more symptoms within the first week are an especially strong predictor of a person going on to develop long COVID.

Like other postviral syndromes, long COVID symptoms are generally episodic, meaning they come and go. For this reason, it is especially important to pace one’s recovery slowly and to be patient with the amount of time it may take to regain previous health. For some individuals, this may mean 6-12 months (or more!) of recovery– a daunting thought for anyone who has not experienced chronic illness before.

Current research suggests that the underlying cause of long COVID involves the innate immune system (especially mast cells) and “cytokine storms” of immune molecules that drive excessive inflammation. There may also be differences in activation of the adaptive immune system (T and B cells) with a shift away from protection against viruses and towards parasites and fungi, for reasons not well understood. This may make it more difficult for the body to clear the virus as efficiently, leading towards an overdependence (and excessive activation) of the innate immune system.

Whatever is ultimately the cause(s) of long COVID, one thing is for certain: It is shining an uncomfortable light on chronic conditions like ME/CFS, MCAS, and POTS, which have typically been ignored by mainstream medicine. Now that we are seeing such large numbers of postviral sufferers in relation to a virus that, at least in some cases, is clinically documented, it makes it extremely difficult for naysayers to continue to deny the links between certain viral infections and chronic illness. Although the numbers of deaths and the toll on overall health and quality of life have been heartbreaking, one silver lining to all of this is the medical community and science can no longer wash away patients’ complaints with a broad psychogenic brush and simply label them as “head cases.”

We must now recognize that these, fundamentally, are immune disorders and they can indeed be triggered by infection.

(edited to bold some stuff)
§ê¢rꆧ

Postby Belligerent Savant » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:32 am

Some individuals– particularly those out in the community and not studied in a hospital setting– may experience what is known as a “postviral syndrome”– a range of symptoms, often including chronic fatigue, which are typically seen in other postviral syndromes (e.g., Epstein-Barr virus, herpes, Rubella, etc.). These symptoms are most reminiscent of conditions like myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and various dysautonomias like postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS).

Other people, particularly those who experience severe acute symptoms necessitating hospitalization, are more likely to have chronic illness as a result of organ damage, such as damage to the lungs, heart, or kidneys. This may be either the result of damage due to replication of the virus or because of injury related to treatment, such as ventilation.

Unfortunately, many articles use the term “long hauler” interchangeably for these two groups of people, who may have very different presentations, prognoses, and treatment requirements. So, be wary when reading long hauler articles as to whether they are focusing on patients coming from a hospital setting or out in the community as different subtypes may be overrepresented in these two groups.

The above was excerpted from the same article linked above. It appears this notion of "long-haul" affliction isn't relegated to COVID alone. It also appears treatment methods may have contributed to long-term symptoms, at least in some cases, rather than the particular strain of the virus itself.

Much remains "to be determined" at this stage, of course. None of the above, in my view, justifies the extent of the govt measures taken, given the collateral damage caused (and the damage these measures will continue to cause for years to follow).
Belligerent Savant

Postby §ê¢rꆧ » Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:08 pm

Yes, thanks, I didn't mean to excise that part, just poor copypasta on my part. That part is important because it clarifies that it's not *just* people with apparent organ damage, or just people who were hospitalized, who seem to be dealing with long-term Covid symptoms.

And, for how long? Well we don't know yet. It could turn out that people have to live with debilitating symptoms for the rest of their lives, like the other postviral conditions the author lists.
§ê¢rꆧ

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:12 am

§ê¢rꆧ » 01 Dec 2020 02:08 wrote:Yes, thanks, I didn't mean to excise that part, just poor copypasta on my part. That part is important because it clarifies that it's not *just* people with apparent organ damage, or just people who were hospitalized, who seem to be dealing with long-term Covid symptoms.

And, for how long? Well we don't know yet. It could turn out that people have to live with debilitating symptoms for the rest of their lives, like the other postviral conditions the author lists.

I'm totally with you on this. We are dealing with something we don't completely understand. The enzyme this virus targets is everywhere thru your body, especially in the important bits.

Victoria in Australia had an outbreak they've just got under control, they have no active cases, haven't had a community transmission for over three weeks and sewer testing shows small clusters of what is probably inactive former cases. But someone died from COvid yesterday. Someone in their seventies. They died from complications of COVID and while the specifics weren't released there was a press release that specifically said she would not have died if she hadn't contracted covid and the death was directly attributable to it.

If you don't want to believe this is a potentially serious situation its easy to write this off as bullshit. But you don't know and so many vital functions in our bodies can be compromised if the virus gets embedded in the wrong bunch of cells and starts reproducing in the places those vital functions happen. Age is an issue wrt to severity but the other issue appears to be viral load at infection and that is age independent to a point. So even if you get the virus a minor exposure seems to be a better thing in the long term.
Joe Hillshoist

Postby Belligerent Savant » Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:13 pm

Belligerent Savant

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion