Welcome to Rigorous Intuition v.2020! (admin issues thread)

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

(7/8) We don't live to fight or litigate this shit.

Postby JackRiddler » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:25 pm

(Series began with 1/8.)

That's all we have planned.

We are definitely not looking for excuses for more bans. If you aren't planning a troll and flame fest you have nothing to worry about. We hate spending our time this way.

If you want to quit the board over these decisions, we're sorry to see you go. If you want to start a flamewar in other threads because of these decisions, we will be unhappy about suspending your account. If you want to express your disagreement in this thread, you can and you will.

We are not on an imaginary crusade against thought-crime. If you've ever shared a thought with brekin (I definitely did a few) or Sounder, that's okay. We don't want uniformity of thought.

We don't have a list of further targets. We don't want to act out an online reign of terror with user accounts. We love the stuff people do here, and that's a big reason we both volunteered to keep the place running.

If you're bored with these matters, so are we.

We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Blog: View Blog (0)

(8/8) All queries regarding moderation go here.

Postby JackRiddler » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:26 pm

Not in other threads. This applies especially to the matters discussed above. Thank you.

This place is great. The active members have compiled a sprawling research archive, express a host of opinions, have some exciting fights on questions of substance, and are overwhelmingly vital beautiful beasts and besties who honestly say what they think and generally do a lot of work in presenting research, arguments, dreams, jokes, ideas, movie tips, news, contradictory politics, antagonism and harmony, mad visions. We're not asking you to change what you have been doing.

We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

JackRiddler

Re: (7/8) We don't live to fight or litigate this shit.

Postby Project Willow » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:59 pm

JackRiddler » 20 Jun 2020 17:25 wrote:(Series began with 1/8.)

That's all we have planned.

We are definitely not looking for excuses for more bans. If you aren't planning a troll and flame fest you have nothing to worry about. We hate spending our time this way.

If you want to quit the board over these decisions, we're sorry to see you go. If you want to start a flamewar in other threads because of these decisions, we will be unhappy about suspending your account. If you want to express your disagreement in this thread, you can and you will.

*Cringe* I am truly anti-authoritarian. I just hate micro-management. You lost me here, actually before that, but you've made it clear it doesn't matter. Okay.

JackRiddler » 20 Jun 2020 17:25 wrote:We are not on an imaginary crusade against thought-crime. If you've ever shared a thought with brekin (I definitely did a few) or Sounder, that's okay. We don't want uniformity of thought.

Of course you are. That's exactly what you're doing. I'm not defending any individual poster here, you've lost me in your response.

JackRiddler » 20 Jun 2020 17:25 wrote:If you're bored with these matters, so are we.

I'm not bored at all, I see this as a sign and a symptom of everything that is happening now.

Everywhere the walls are closing in. Intolerance is exercised in the name of tolerance, hate in the name of love, fear rampages wearing the mask of courageous heroism, authoritarianism is implemented for your own good, as it ever was.

I don't know what Sounder has posted over the years. I can't even see where he posted in the links you sent. I'm confused, did you ban Brekin too? Sounder never came to my attention when I was a mod. I actually don't care what he did or didn't do because now I am reacting solely to your reaction. The reason this place worked so well for Jeff for so many years is because he was incredibly tolerant, of a wide range of views and behaviors, only drawing the line where actual harm was being done, often too late in those cases.

I have no interest in conforming to an echo chamber, again despite your protestations, it appears to me that's what you're creating. I have no interest in wondering or worrying that something I post might get me booted at any second, or because you know me it's okay, but someone else is booted for saying the same thing. A significant tell is if you're worried about outsider perception, you're worried that tolerating certain posts or views will "look bad". Nothing good or vibrant was ever created based in such fears.

None of this is a good fit for me. In the past I was chased off the board by actual perps due to lax management, now it appears I am chased off the board by authoritarian micro-management. Ah well.

Just do me a favor, don't delete the ra/mc survivor posts. I know it's not your thing, but there's an important record here. If you feel that urge, contact me so I can download and save it. It should be preserved.

Take care of yourselves all.
Project Willow

Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: Welcome to Rigorous Intuition v.2020! (admin issues thre

Postby Elvis » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:34 am

Project Willow wrote:Just do me a favor, don't delete the ra/mc survivor posts.

PW, of course no ra/mc material will be deleted—it's a pillar of the board, and your contributions have been essential.

I'm sorry that we differ about Sounder; DrEvil helps to describe the problem as I see it. I hope you'll reconsider your decision.
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Dear Project Willow

Postby JackRiddler » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:01 am

Project Willow » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:59 pm wrote:The reason this place worked so well for Jeff for so many years is because he was incredibly tolerant, of a wide range of views and behaviors, only drawing the line where actual harm was being done, often too late in those cases.

Jeff's tolerance of views and behaviors has well-advised limits and he drew lines a number of times, including when he appointed me. The partial record of his "rulings" here leaves out the long arguments that preceded them, or the 37 accounts that were closed by moderators through the years because they were used for abuse, spread disinformation, engaged in racism or sexism, or just never stopped engaging in what seemed like compulsive disruptions.

I'm guessing that the frequent strife over bullshit and insistent trolling by very small numbers of accounts at various times is a major factor why Jeff and others didn't want to do this job any more. Those who try to manage this mess get hit with all sorts of agita and are called a lot of dramatic names. Everyone tires of it at some point.

(Willow, some of your "I don't know if..." comments and questions about things I already answered above suggest you've reached for some easy available tropes about "our times" without looking too deeply into the cases at hand, or reading my posts above, which admittedly were plenty, which is why I now give each post a separate title. We all sometimes find it easiest to follow our prior assumptions and fit everything into our existing framework. This tendency is reinforced because it often works. It's part of intuition, which is not infallible.)

I have no interest in wondering or worrying that something I post might get me booted at any second, or because you know me it's okay, but someone else is booted for saying the same thing.

This is nonsense. You and your posts are a paradigmatic opposite to the kind of stuff that gets accounts banned. That would be true of anyone who posted stuff like yours, whether or not we know each other.

Bans have been rare and when has anything ever been done "at any second"?

The norm, on the contrary, has been for abuses to go on for years. Even obvious trolls have taken up hundreds of posts back and forth, and get multiple account restorations even though it's just as obvious what will happen again. This is a contrast to most boards by the way, where the mods don't play Hamlet all day.

A significant tell is if you're worried about outsider perception, you're worried that tolerating certain posts or views will "look bad". Nothing good or vibrant was ever created based in such fears.

I care less for what "looks bad" than for maintaining a quality site that does not descend into a platform for what is bad while alienating passers-by who might read or contribute. There are enough of those.

Consider the main themes here, and think over the decades how all serious attempts to research and expose deep politics and (for want of a better term) organized crime in society, institutions and government have been undermined in many ways, including direct suppression, but in the US and "West" above all through a one-two, inside-outside move: the spread of poison pills, disinfo and intentionally crazy talk from within, in turn allowing the strawmanning and condemnation of these poison pills from without. To go from the general to a very specific example, it's why Jeff banned talk of "no planes at the WTC."

It is not, however, why he was moved to declare this an anti-fascist and anti-sexist board. That was because he believes there are such things as right and wrong.

None of this is a good fit for me. In the past I was chased off the board by actual perps due to lax management, now it appears I am chased off the board by authoritarian micro-management.

I'm sorry if you find that. Your presence is welcome. You know damn well that you, of all people, are not being chased off.

I'm sorry that you have identified with anonymous account holders who are so unworthy of you. They may not be the kind who chased you off in the past, but they are the kind who make this an unwelcoming place for many people who won't stick around in the first place. Nevertheless, you know that if you leave, it's because you choose to leave.

Just do me a favor, don't delete the ra/mc survivor posts.

I would never do that. I'm sorry but it's sad that you would suggest this, or expect such an idea would occur to me or to Elvis. Nothing's being deleted, and to my knowledge almost nothing has ever been deleted (the major exception being exposure of personal details). Keeping the archive intact and online is the bottom line.

I know it's not your thing, but there's an important record here. If you feel that urge, contact me so I can download and save it. It should be preserved.

Again, I would never "feel that urge" and reject the implication that I would. However, you and everyone else should consider yourselves already contacted to download and save this site or as much of it as you care for. Whether this board will stay up doesn't depend on what I feel. There are many other factors in the world. Among others, the various fascisms on the rise are real and far from their peaks and extremes. I hope everyone is perserving what they can of this site, for whatever its worth at a time when so much more is endangered.

JackRiddler

Postby Cordelia » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:02 am

Cordelia » Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:24 pm wrote:Thanks and kudos to Jack for the house he’s building. :clapping: I'm wandering the halls adjusting to the new configuration of rooms.

What utter bullshit :oops: . This is a haunted junta house Jack's building.

The greatest sin is to be unconscious. ~ Carl Jung

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

Postby JackRiddler » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:07 am

Well if you're going to do that you could at least make it a Mao, Castro or Lenin.

JackRiddler

Postby Cordelia » Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:30 pm

^^^
Okay! (General P. was a bad choice—too obviously unwelcoming, wasn’t he?)

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

Postby JackRiddler » Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:47 pm

Your Mao image broke, hope this helps.

JackRiddler

minime was suspended.

Postby Cordelia » Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:54 pm

^^^Thanks!

JackRiddler » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:01 am wrote:
Bans have been rare and when has anything ever been done "at any second"?

JackRiddler » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:21 pm wrote:
... I deleted the new thread immediately and suspended the account.

Bans have been rare...

Until Mao Now.

Cordelia

Welcome to R.I. Club Med!

Postby Cordelia » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:55 am

^^^
JackRiddler » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:26 pm wrote:
This place is great. The active members have compiled a sprawling research archive, express a host of opinions, have some exciting fights on questions of substance, and are overwhelmingly vital beautiful beasts and besties who honestly say what they think and generally do a lot of work in presenting research, arguments, dreams, jokes, ideas, movie tips, news, contradictory politics, antagonism and harmony, mad visions...

Reads like a promo brochure. Kool-aid and cigars served in the club room after dinner. (Jack will lead discussions.)

JackRiddler » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:07 pm wrote:
Re: (3/8) R.I. is a club...

Cordelia

Postby Elvis » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:29 pm

On limits,

JackRiddler wrote:Consider the main themes here, and think over the decades how all serious attempts to research and expose deep politics and (for want of a better term) organized crime in society, institutions and government have been undermined in many ways, including direct suppression, but in the US and "West" above all through a one-two, inside-outside move: the spread of poison pills, disinfo and intentionally crazy talk from within, in turn allowing the strawmanning and condemnation of these poison pills from without. To go from the general to a very specific example, it's why Jeff banned talk of "no planes at the WTC."

The controversy troubles me since I always thought PW was one of the best moderators, and I've tried to use her wise approach as a model. The present disagreement aside, I'd switch spots with her and step down any time, but it's perfectly understandable why nobody does this forever.
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby stickdog99 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:24 pm

Personally, I don't get it. I hadn't even read this yet. I guess that shows how much I hate board (or office) politics.

SLAD got weirdly obsessive with her flooding, so I could see limiting her to posting one new thread per day and only making personal rather than pasta comments on every other thread. The exact same limitation could have been enforced on AD, as far as I am concerned. Jerky was not a misnomer, but what's a political board today without a reliable neoliberal spokesperson?

As for all of the other bans, just put me on record of being largely a libertarian when it comes allowing the free expression of ideas. Personally, I don't even draw my line at Holocaust denial, or no planers, or crisis actors, or Obama birthers, or even flat Earthers. Why should I? Why can't we discuss this stuff? Why can't we just make fools of those who embrace unhelpful stupidity? I mean, none of you have had any problem stomping on my occassional bs, and I have evolved significantly as a result of getting destroyed for posting some utter nonsense here without first fully thinking it through.

Sure, Sounder said some stuff and posted some links I personally considered racist, brekin got the crazy idea folks' protesting police brutality was worse than supporting Hitler, and Mac (one of the sharpest minds here, in my worthless opinion) got strangely personal with anyone who disagreed with him on the topics he felt most strongly about. And while I did not see FB's supposed meltdown, I often enjoyed reading his unique input. But why should anyone care what I think about any of this? The intense personalization of all of my preceding commentary in this paragraph slightly sickens me. It reminds me of my biggest problem with hippies, which is that one of their favorite pastimes is to gossip about the lack of righteousness of other hippies they know.

Personally, I generally do my best to divorce content from the personalities providing it. Why worry about the messenger when you can attack the message? For example, the idea that a link to a wholly unobjectional article cannot be shared because it comes from a racist aggregator site has always puzzled me. Why not just point out that fact if it legitimately bothers you?

And why do we need to be protected against "bad ideas" in the first place? Why can't we argue against views we disagree with? And why can't I read those arguments? Sometimes I admit that I need to. In fact, the main reason I come back here consistently whenever something crazy happens is to get a sense of informed consensus, not enforced consensus.

Just my two cents.

"First they came for ... "
stickdog99

Postby stickdog99 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:38 pm

Elvis » 22 Jun 2020 19:29 wrote:On limits,

JackRiddler wrote:Consider the main themes here, and think over the decades how all serious attempts to research and expose deep politics and (for want of a better term) organized crime in society, institutions and government have been undermined in many ways, including direct suppression, but in the US and "West" above all through a one-two, inside-outside move: the spread of poison pills, disinfo and intentionally crazy talk from within, in turn allowing the strawmanning and condemnation of these poison pills from without. To go from the general to a very specific example, it's why Jeff banned talk of "no planes at the WTC."

The controversy troubles me since I always thought PW was one of the best moderators, and I've tried to use her wise approach as a model. The present disagreement aside, I'd switch spots with her and step down any time, but it's perfectly understandable why nobody does this forever.

She was. And IMHO that's because she didn't take others' opinions personally.

But now I am falling into the same trap of personalizing. So please realize that this is just one person's largely ill-informed opinion. I just don't like to pay much attention to personality conflicts (or personalities in general), and when PW and Jeff were moderators, for some reason I wasn't forced to as much.

(And tbh one of my biggest problems with SLAD was that she personalized every complaint against her flooding as well.)
stickdog99

Postby Elvis » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:27 pm

stickdog99 wrote: unobjectional article cannot be shared because it comes from a racist aggregator site

The guideline for linking (especially hyperlinking) racist sites has been to clearly identify them as such. It's safe to say that you cannot link that one well-known nazi website here, ever, but beyond that, just explain yourself. As always, sympathetically linking racist sites is wholly prohibited.

Here's the written rule:

Propagation of fascist, neo-Nazi and "white pride" causes, including sympathetically linking to sites which advocate such, will not be permitted. This includes revisionist histories of the Holocaust.

stickdog, thanks for posting your thoughts; if I don't reply to each point, I will certainly be re-reading and thinking about them.
Elvis

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion