Matrix 2020

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Matrix 2020

Postby Grizzly » Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:28 pm

Since The Matrix was released in 1999, cellphones have been replacing landlines and payphones, the only way that we were shown how to get out.

Here in Montana a few of us still have landlines. My last job was maintenance for a old hotel, after cleaning the basement one day, I came across a wall phone with long cord. I showed it to one of the kids working there, and he had no idea what it was. At first I thought he was kidding. But learned quickly, he really had never seen one and wasn't kidding (mind you this same kid had never heard of the Rolling Stones) he was 19. Such an odd feeling, I was officially old.

For McLuhan, the telephone was a symbol of our ability to be in two places at once. A landline is in a fixed place, you know WHERE you’re calling but not who will pick up the phone. With a cell you know WHO you’re calling but not where they are. These themes are very relevant to Twin Peaks The Return.

When did we collectively step into this other place?

“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Matrix 2020

Postby Harvey » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:01 pm

I love the cartoon, and I've been having these 'officially old' moments since my teens, born 1971.
And while we spoke of many things, fools and kings
This he said to me
"The greatest thing
You'll ever learn
Is just to love
And be loved
In return"

Eden Ahbez
Harvey

Blog: View Blog (20)

Postby BenDhyan » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:33 pm

Matrix evolving.

Great and Terrifying, Says Elon Musk on Neuralink Brain Device's Ability to Cure Depression

Elon Musk has said his mysterious brain-computer chip startup Neuralink could help cure mental conditions like addiction and depression.

In 2019, Neuralink said that it had developed a "sewing machine-like" device which could connect brains to the computers, even though not much has been revealed about the working of the technology, The Independent reported. Musk had founded the startup Neuralink in 2016. More on Neuralink is expected to be revealed on August 28, Musk has said.

Responding to a query on Twitter on the device's ability to help cure depression and addiction, Tesla boss Musk said that it can help that also. This is both great and terrifying, he said. "Everything we’ve ever sensed or thought has been electrical signals. They early universe was just a soup of quarks and leptons. How did a very small piece of the universe start to think of itself as sentient?” he said in a tweet.

The device is likely to be used in conditions like Parkinson’s and in the long-term, it will delve into artificial intelligence, competing with humans. To insert the device in the brain will require removing part of the skull and the device with its electrode threads will be fitted in the brain, according to reports.

https://www.news18.com/news/buzz/great-and-terrifying-says-elon-musk-on-neuralink-brain-devices-ability-to-cure-depression-2711221.html

Ben D
BenDhyan

Postby Grizzly » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:49 pm

Well, we are living in...

Are we ready to jack-in...?!

'the issue isn't whether you're paranoid Lenny the issue is whether you're paranoid enough'
“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Postby dada » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:48 pm

"Everything we’ve ever sensed or thought has been electrical signals. They early universe was just a soup of quarks and leptons. How did a very small piece of the universe start to think of itself as sentient?”

What is sensed and thought is expressed through electrical signals. A piece of the universe starts to think of itself as sentient through an apparent confusion between itself and its expression.

I'm thinking of the matrix as a paradigm. Meaning there are two pills, you are encouraged to take the red one. But by taking either pill, you've now become invested in the matrix paradigm.

Over against the matrix paradigm, we need a different paradigm to provide a contrast, I'm using the Tron paradigm. The world outside of the matrix is a dystopian wasteland of vampire machines. The world outside of the tron program network, the world of the users, has the same appearance as irreality inside the matrix. So already the apparent world has two different meanings. There are villans and vampires in the world of the users, too, but their crime is the exploitation of the worker. The matrix machine exploits the consumer. The consumer itself is a chemical factory, mass produced in accordance with the needs of the market.

In the matrix paradigm, the consumers come from the machine dystopia, and are held in thrall by the spectacle generated by the matrix. There is nothing beyond the machine dystopia, the matrix is an hermetically sealed, two-level production. The Tron paradigm suggests there is more, in the dissolve between the cityscape and the circuitscape at the end of the film. Not that the users are necessarily come from the world of metausers. A metauser zapped into the apparent world of users would be an anomaly, a unique event on the order of flynn the user getting zapped into the network, translated into a program.

Just a quick sketch of some ideas, I'm sure the comparison could be taken further, maybe bear some fruit.
Both his words and manner of speech seemed at first totally unfamiliar to me, and yet somehow they stirred memories - as an actor might be stirred by the forgotten lines of some role he had played far away and long ago.
dada

Postby PufPuf93 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:28 am

Grizzly » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:28 am wrote:Since The Matrix was released in 1999, cellphones have been replacing landlines and payphones, the only way that we were shown how to get out.

Here in Montana a few of us still have landlines. My last job was maintenance for a old hotel, after cleaning the basement one day, I came across a wall phone with long cord. I showed it to one of the kids working there, and he had no idea what it was. At first I thought he was kidding. But learned quickly, he really had never seen one and wasn't kidding (mind you this same kid had never heard of the Rolling Stones) he was 19. Such an odd feeling, I was officially old.

For McLuhan, the telephone was a symbol of our ability to be in two places at once. A landline is in a fixed place, you know WHERE you’re calling but not who will pick up the phone. With a cell you know WHO you’re calling but not where they are. These themes are very relevant to Twin Peaks The Return.

When did we collectively step into this other place?

Never realized that you were in Montana Grizzle. Beautiful state.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TIVAMehnxM

PufPuf93

Return to General Discussion