...On 'Cancel' Culture

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: ...On 'Cancel' Culture

Postby Harvey » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:41 pm

Clearly he's not my ally, otherwise I would agree. Instead he fucks over my allies. I'm with every working man in Palestine before I'm with Nick Cave. Because he pretends to give a shit while fucking them. I'm with every working man in Palestine before I'm with every working man in Israel. Because the latter are engaged in good old fashioned colonialism and ethnic cleansing by default, whatever their professed views. Fuck Nick Cave, and fuck you too, if to be your ally I must first fuck the Palestinians. Couldn't be more simple really.
And while we spoke of many things, fools and kings
This he said to me
"The greatest thing
You'll ever learn
Is just to love
And be loved
In return"

Eden Ahbez
Harvey

Blog: View Blog (20)

Postby Harvey » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:12 pm

stickdog99 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:18 pm wrote:OK, then here is my argument. His views stand wholly on their own, totally outside of any personal disdain he engenders in you because of his resounding failures on your political litmus tests.

Cancel the views. Stop canceling the individuals. If we are ever going to change anything for the better, we will need as many imperfect allies as we can muster.

To put it another way, cancel culture litmus tests have been successfully weaponized to turn "We are the 99%" into "We are the morally and politically infallible 1%, and if you are not, then fuck you forever and ever."

And the more self-righteous we are about our own political beliefs, the more we tend to condemn others harshly for failing to adhere to our Top 100 Political Commandments. And so we end up canceling Shahid Buttar, Alex Morse, Dave Chapelle, Bill Burr, John Lennon, Bernie Sanders, AOC, Nick Cave, Howie Hawkins, Eugene Debs, RFK, RFK, Jr., Malcolm X, MLK, Jr., etc., etc., etc.

I haven't cancelled Nick Cave. Show me where I have, and how I did it. You're writing utter nonsense.
This he said to me
"The greatest thing
You'll ever learn
Is just to love
And be loved
In return"

Eden Ahbez
Harvey

Postby stickdog99 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:42 pm

I haven't cancelled Nick Cave. Show me where I have, and how I did it. You're writing utter nonsense.

Clearly he's not my ally, otherwise I would agree. Instead he fucks over my allies. I'm with every working man in Palestine before I'm with Nick Cave. Because he pretends to give a shit while fucking them. I'm with every working man in Palestine before I'm with every working man in Israel. Because the latter are engaged in good old fashioned colonialism and ethnic cleansing by default, whatever their professed views. Fuck Nick Cave, and fuck you too, if to be your ally I must first fuck the Palestinians. Couldn't be more simple really.

Again, you can't really be serious. So if a person does one thing you that you find heinous (such as committing the truly heinous crime of performing his music to an audience of fans who live in a colonialist country), then this person somehow loses all of his humanity, all of his art and all his opinions become less than worthless, and you feel compelled to shower him (as well as anybody else who suggests that he is flawed but not heinous) with everlasting vitriol?

And you can't see how the fact that millions of politically infallible people with their own litany of hundreds of political litmus tests wholeheartedly endorsing this exact same mentality allows powerful bad actors to cancel whomever they wish?

To be frank, I really don't give a fuck about Nick Cave personally. And I agree that Israel treats Palestinians the same way that Manifest Destiny treated Native Americans. But if we canceled everybody who ever compromised his or her political integrity in some way to earn a living or to get through his or her day to day existence, who would be left?

Somehow we have all been hardwired to say "Fuck you forever and ever!" to anybody who we agree with on 98% of what matters but who "betrays us" on the other 2%. The single heinous betrayal somehow cancels the entire individual until we are all atomized politically only with those whose political infractions we have yet to discover.
stickdog99

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Harvey » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:25 pm

stickdog99 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:42 pm wrote:

Again, you can't really be serious. So if a person does one thing you that you find heinous (such as committing the truly heinous crime of performing his music to an audience of fans who live in a colonialist country), then this person somehow loses all of his humanity, all of his art and all his opinions become less than worthless, and you feel compelled to shower him (as well as anybody else who suggests that he is flawed but not heinous) with everlasting vitriol?

And you can't see how the fact that millions of politically infallible people with their own litany of hundreds of political litmus tests wholeheartedly endorsing this exact same mentality allows powerful bad actors to cancel whomever they wish?

To be frank, I really don't give a fuck about Nick Cave personally. And I agree that Israel treats Palestinians the same way that Manifest Destiny treated Native Americans. But if we canceled everybody who ever compromised his or her political integrity in some way to earn a living or to get through his or her day to day existence, who would be left?

Somehow we have all been hardwired to say "Fuck you forever and ever!" to anybody who we agree with on 98% of what matters but who "betrays us" on the other 2%. The single heinous betrayal somehow cancels the entire individual until we are all atomized politically only with those whose political infractions we have yet to discover.

Show me how I have in any way cancelled Nick Cave. Last I looked, he still has a global platfrom. Please be realistic.
This he said to me
"The greatest thing
You'll ever learn
Is just to love
And be loved
In return"

Eden Ahbez
Harvey

Postby stickdog99 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:57 pm

My point is that you canceled his "platform" with you. And you clearly think Cave's platform should be canceled, at least with everyone who is as politically righteous as you are.

Again, I am not saying that you cannot judge public figures poorly when they make political decisions that you strongly disagree with. But aren't you treating performing in Israel as some sort of Scarlet A that Nick Cave needs to wear for the rest of his public life? Aren't we treating political sins the same way Roman Catholics have traditionally treated mortal sins? Is there really no possible absolution for any public figure who fails one of our cherished political litmus tests? Can't we point out the sin without reflexively condemning the sinner to everlasting "Fuck You" damnation?
stickdog99

Postby Harvey » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:40 pm

I've had enough of this crap. Please confine yourself to my remarks if you wish to address what I do or do not think or what I can or cannot see. Better yet, read the thread, where some of your many of straw-men have already been addressed.

But if we canceled everybody who ever compromised his or her political integrity in some way to earn a living or to get through his or her day to day existence, who would be left?

Here's an idea, why not discuss the actual topic, rather than your flights of fantasy where Nick Cave is a struggling musician on the edge of losing his one crust of bread if he doesn't perform in Israel. Have you seen the size of his house?

Shameless editorialising built on strawman argument. And who the fuck is this 'we'?

My point is that you canceled his "platform" with you. And you clearly think Cave's platform should be canceled, at least with everyone who is as politically righteous as you are.

Apparently I can't decide not to give a fuck what Nick Cave thinks, while you get to decide that I should. As if that's not enough, out of whole cloth you've invented a desire to purge Nick cave from the world at large. And you're lecturing me on coercion through cancel culture? Oh, bravo. :roll:

Again, I am not saying that you cannot judge public figures poorly...

You just said so, but do go on...

...when they make political decisions that you strongly disagree with. But aren't you treating performing in Israel as some sort of Scarlet A that Nick Cave needs to wear for the rest of his public life?

I thought I'd already said my piece. In fact, you're the one insisting I'm not entitled to my own opinion while also insisting that I'm on some 'McCarthyite' witch hunt, endlessly hounding Nick Cave despite the fact that you (quite demonstrably) cannot let the subject drop.

Aren't we treating political sins the same way Roman Catholics have traditionally treated mortal sins?

Aren't 'we' high right now?

Is there really no possible absolution for any public figure who fails one of our cherished political litmus tests? Can't we point out the sin without reflexively condemning the sinner to everlasting "Fuck You" damnation?

Fuck off and take your litmus testing kit with you. :wink
This he said to me
"The greatest thing
You'll ever learn
Is just to love
And be loved
In return"

Eden Ahbez
Harvey

Postby stickdog99 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:30 pm

I'm not lecturing you on anything, I'm trying to get you to consider a potential negative effect of a particular brand of political self-righteousness that everyone here, including me, is prone to. And that's the "we".

Why does everything have to get so intensely and consistently personalized? Can't ideas ever be divorced from the personalities espousing them? Again, I don't give a shit what you think of Nick Cave or how big Nick Cave's house is. I personally don't give a shit about Nick Cave one way or another. My entire commentary is on the potential (and actual, in the case of Shahid Buttar) pitfalls of ramping up our political self-righteousness to the point that we equate any public individual's failing any of one of our political litmus tests as the direst form of personal betrayal. And that's exactly how you reacted, both to Nick Cave's decision to perform in Israel (as well as to my suggestion that one failing does not negate someone's life's work or the merits of his opinions on anything and everything from that day forward).

Don't think that I don't constantly do the exact same thing you did to Nick Cave because I do. I'm as self-righteous of an ex-Catholic as they come. When it comes to avoiding the potential pitfalls of personally "canceling" people for failing my political litmus tests, I am talking to myself here as much as I am talking to anybody else.

But please don't hate me for at least trying to hate the play rather than the playa.
stickdog99

Postby Harvey » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:51 am

I think you're having a public conversation with yourself at this point. I hope you found it useful. EDIT: Why would I hate you? Besides, I like your sense of drama.
This he said to me
"The greatest thing
You'll ever learn
Is just to love
And be loved
In return"

Eden Ahbez
Harvey

Postby Grizzly » Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:34 am

How «woke» activism took over universities and descended into street riots
https://schweizermonat.ch/how-woke-activism-took-over-universities-and-descended-into-street-riots/
Nonsense becomes dogma, «woke» activists turn into left-wing authoritarians: the principles of the Enlightenment are collapsing faster than we might think. We must resist while we still can.

Heather Heying

George Floyd died under the knee of a police officer in Minneapolis in the end of May, and people spilled on to the streets of American cities, outraged at police brutality and racial bias and exhausted by Covid-19 lockdowns. In Portland, Oregon, where I live, those protests turned into riots nearly every single night last Summer. The homicide rate climbed to the highest it’s been in 30 years. One late night in mid-August, a man was dragged from his car and beaten by a small band of thugs. The next day, on a bluebird sky morning, some of the few stores nearby that were not boarded up had shop owners out on the sidewalks, cleaning up from the mayhem of the previous night. In this once bustling downtown, normal human activity is almost entirely absent while the sun shines. And at night, the chaos resumes—fires are started, people are assaulted, human feces is literally thrown around.

Some would tell you that my mentioning these facts is evidence that I am on the political right. In fact, I am and always have been on the left. Liberalism had many big wins in the 20th century—securing rights for women, people of color, and workers; the advent of disability law, environmental protections, to name just a few. But there is much more to be done: Even as wealth grows, the middle class is disappearing; health care and education costs climb while quality plummets; and we are polluting our air, water, and soil at unprecedented rates, extinction rates are rising, and habitat is disappearing under the call for more oil, lumber, spaces for people to live.

The gains made by 20th century liberalism, and any chance of confronting the big issues still before us, are being eroded by a new ideology. This ideology—call it the woke left, or the authoritarian left—traffics in blatant falsehoods and untestable claims. It is focused on markers of identity—sex, race, disability—and effectively carves out ways to divide us, rather than unite us in our common humanity.

We are being told, for instance, that men and women are exactly the same, indeed that sex itself is a social construct. This is a fiction, and threatens to disappear many hard-won protections for women. Nature magazine, one of the world’s top scientific journals, now inserts into its news stories the claim that sex is neither binary nor fixed; they do this even in articles that are literally about differential outcomes by sex from diseases, including cystic fibrosis and COVID-19.

And, central to a season of protests that are nominally responding to society-wide racism, we are asked to believe that all white people are guilty of the original sin of racism, for which there is neither cure, nor forgiveness. Loyalty oaths are demanded—admit your racism, or be shamed, or even fired. If you are not in fact a racist, defending yourself against false claims is itself evidence of your racism. Self-defense is taken as proof of guilt: a perfect 21st century Kafka trap.

The American Psychological Association, which oversees accrediting for psychologists in the U.S., has declared that “Every institution in America is born from the blood of white supremacist ideology and capitalism.” As usual, there is no evidence for this claim. Similarly, the K12 schools in America are widely promoting and enforcing an “equity agenda,” which forces not just teachers, but children, to accept these untestable and divisive beliefs.

This new ideology is nearly everywhere you look, in the media and the courts, and in the rise of “Diversity, Equity and Inclusion” officers and departments throughout corporate America. But it started in the universities.
Rule of the mob

Universities are inherently gatekeepers, providing an imprimatur for the holders of their diplomas. Should a movement rise that debases the degrees that are awarded, it will be difficult to point to—the degrees still look the same. What is the difference in quality between a degree from Yale in 1990, versus one in 2020? How about the difference between undergraduate degrees earned in Physics, versus “Women’s, Gender, & Sexuality Studies”? You could probably be educated with exposure to the ideas offered by the latter degree, but it would be far easier with the former.

We need a reimagining of the liberal arts for the 21st century, one that educates for breadth and problem solving; an ability to return to first principles rather than relying on static mnemonics; and the exploration of ideas without a clear goal, such that you might land places you never imagined. A liberal arts education allows for the possibility of emergence, in which the whole is greater than, and unpredictable from, the parts with which you began.

And yet it is at this historical moment that an authoritarian streak is dominating instead—one that insists on its own conclusions, and claims that seeking alternative answer to questions is itself a form of bigotry. Mob rule threatens to decide what questions get asked, and which answers are acceptable. Examples are unfortunately abundant, from Berkeley to Yale. And in what some have viewed as the quintessential example of illiberal, anti-Enlightenment thinking taking over an institution of higher education, The Evergreen State College melted down in 2017, at which time and place my husband, Bret Weinstein, and I were tenured, until rather suddenly we were not. At Evergreen, under the guise of a college-wide move towards greater “equity and inclusion,” the core principles of the liberal arts college were dismantled, and those who objected were taken to be enemies of the cause, and therefore of the college itself.

A very brief summary is this: a new college president was hired in 2015, and he made common cause with a group of faculty and staff activists. Together, they began to restructure the college, with the formal justification that Evergreen was a hotbed of systemic racism, using the logic and tactics of the “diversity, equity and inclusion” ideology. The statistics they used to make this claim were demonstrably false, and no credible evidence of actual racism on campus was ever revealed. A very few of us objected to the changes being made at the college, and Bret, my husband, objected most loudly and persistently.

On May 23, 2017, a group of 50 students whom he had never met showed up at Bret’s classroom and disrupted it, demanding his resignation. To the surprise and dismay of the activists, his own students stayed loyal to him. Within hours, campus was roiling over with anarchy and violence. Rioters barricaded the library building, trapping people inside, and kidnapping administrators, including the president, who had been so helpful in allowing this to happen. Vandalism on campus centered on the library and the science labs. In long, private meetings between activists and administration—which were filmed and uploaded to the web by the activists—administrators colluded with students to specifically “target STEM faculty” with implicit bias training on the basis that scientists are particularly racist. One student of ours, who is Afro-Caribbean on one side of her family, was assaulted by activists who told her she was a “race traitor” for studying science.

Students and faculty were hunted on campus; the campus police chief told Bret that activists were “going car to car looking for an individual,” and that that individual was Bret. She advised him to stay off campus, and stay off his bike anywhere in town, for his own safety. Some students were assaulted by activists with baseball bats and nightsticks. Our friends and family had concerns that they would show up at our door, so we took our children out of the state. In the middle of all this, the administration told the campus police force to stand down. Evergreen is in the capital city of Washington state, so we went, with many students, to the capitol building to describe what was happening a few miles away, on the campus of a public institution of higher learning, and to ask for help. No help ever arrived.

Months later, at the end of the Summer, the public liberal arts college that had once lauded Bret and me as stellar professors, promoting our programs as the epitome of the kind of creative educational opportunities that could be created at Evergreen, invited our resignations. They couldn’t force us out—we had tenure. But they promised to make our lives miserable, because we would not promise to sit down and shut up. We took a settlement, and resigned.

Colleges and universities are supposed to be keepers of both tradition and progress, protectors of paradigms and anomalies, overseers of orthodoxy and heresy. We need universities that provide safe harbor for heterodoxy, while also being keepers of orthodoxy. We need universities to teach young people in the next generation how to think, how to question, and, depending on their interests and proclivities, how to create or discover, how to heal or lead, how to effect needed and positive change in the world.

What we most definitely do not need is universities that indoctrinate with bad thinking and wrong conclusions. We do not need Robin DiAngelo advising us, in White Fragility, that claiming you are not racist proves that you are, or Ibram X Kendi, in How To Be An Anti-Racist, informing us that unless you seek equality of outcome, you are, in fact, a racist. And yet our universities are churning out and promoting just these ideas, and sure enough, they have spread into the rest of the culture.
Helicoptered into permanent infantilization

This is a culture war, but the war is not against fascists and racists, as we are led to believe by activists. The culture war is not even primarily against conservatives and the police, although widespread cries to defund and even abolish the police reveal that such groups are indeed targeted. More centrally, the culture war that is upon us is fighting against logic and analysis, math and science. Every tool of the Enlightenment is on the chopping block, and those who defend the use of these tools are taken to be the enemy.

The bad thinking came from the universities, but why have so many of the young fallen for it?

Many young Americans are enraged for reasons they do not understand. Many are in debt, their educations have failed them, good health care is a distant memory, and the prospect of owning a house is a pipe dream. Many were helicopter parented away from all risk and serendipity, away from actual learning from the world. Many were raised on legal pharmaceuticals—mood disrupters and flatteners, and myriad exogenous hormones—that have rendered them psychologically disorganized, unable to track or control their own emotional states, or to read that of others. They were handed screens at a young age and encouraged to treat the interactions therein as complete human interactions, when of course they are not. Those screens’ algorithms are designed to make addicts of us all. And the American economy has become obsessed with making us into full-time consumers.

So we have damaged a generation of young people, with a perfect storm of bad parenting, legal drugs, and screens, and delivered them an economy that reveals that, for them, the American Dream is a near impossibility. Their anger and frustration can, in this framing, be understood. But even legitimate anger and frustration are no excuse for rampaging in the streets, looting, rioting, assaulting, even killing, innocents. Why are they being allowed to behave this way, and where are the adults who will stop this?

Many of the adults who should be stopping the chaos are exactly the same people who helicoptered their children into permanent infantilization. These are the adults who caved to temper tantrums when it was their own children throwing them. Of course they cave now, when the tantrums come wrapped in pretty slogans like “Black Lives Matter.” The fact that the pretty slogans hide agendas that are far different—like the disruption of the “Western-prescribed nuclear family structure”—is not noticed by most who shout them in the streets, or put signs in their windows and yards.
One small concession after the other

So to adults of all ages who have been captured, even just a little, by the new ideology, allow me this example of what the capture looks like. I will use the messaging of Trans Rights Activists, whom I distinguish from true trans people, the latter of which are extremely rare, and do not pretend that biology is a fiction. The Trans Rights Activists, however, would have us believe, among other things, that men can give birth—and they’ve got the New York Times going along with their fantasy.

Note that this is crazy talk. Five hundred million uninterrupted years of sexual reproduction in our lineage assures us that male and female are distinct phenomena. It is no less crazy than suggesting that plants are animals or that Europe is Australia. This is crazy talk, and no amount of social pressure changes that fact.

How, then, does the crazy idea spread?

When you object that, actually, men cannot give birth, your activist friend will look at you with sadness in her eyes, and a question: Why can you not just be generous and kind?

If you persist in your claim that men are not women, you will be shamed. And after a while, after repeated exposure to the thing-that-is-proclaimed-to-be-true-that-patently-is-not, you may begin to question your understanding of reality.

Now the activist will swoop in and ask you to cede small points. Because this isn’t your area of expertise, and in no way the hill you want to die on, you may accept them. Surely the only difference between men and women is chromosomes? What then do we make of chromosomal anomalies? Doesn’t this put the lie to biological sex? (To which accurate answers are: Male and female are far older than sex chromosomes. Complex systems are imperfect. And no, biological sex is real.)

But if instead you do cede small points, the activist will be so appreciative, and make another request: Can’t you go a little further? This is often more effective than brute force attempts to change thinking. You will be asked to “educate yourself!” and you will be provided the bad thinking of some over-educated and under-smart “experts” with which to do so. Beware arguments from authority, though. Track your logic back to first principles when you can.

If you resist the sad eyes and gentle words and attempts to re-educate you, the activist may move down the list of accepted actions: after shaming, perhaps gaslighting. Then smearing of your reputation, including outright lies. Threats of violence are a last resort—but only if you resist! The activist will assure you: it’s best not to resist. Accept the crazy talk, else you are inviting whatever happens to you. You are doing this to yourself!

Do not cede small points in order to keep the peace. The peace will not be kept this way. Cede small points, and you will be expected to cede more. Apologize for things you did not do, and you will be held accountable for those things, and more. This movement is cloaked so beautifully, as if it is a gift of freedom and justice for all. But it is not that. It brings division and destruction. Do not accept the horse at the gates.
Heather Heying

“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:55 pm

Belligerent Savant » 23 Aug 2020 01:37 wrote:.
Joe Hillshoist » Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:45 am wrote:
If your first reaction is to frame someone who makes art by their violation of your political standards then you are following the same path even if you aren't being as much of a jerk about it or exercising as much power to enforce your opinion on others as some people on Twitter.

I can see real similarities there even if they make youse feel uncomfortable.

I disagree, but in doing so, I will not cancel you. I support your choice to post faulty opinions here. :sarcasm

Thanks mate. :thumbsup
Joe Hillshoist

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:01 pm

Heather fucken Heyling hey.
Joe Hillshoist

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:35 pm

Harvey » 28 Sep 2020 21:56 wrote:
stickdog99 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:00 am wrote:
Harvey » 15 Aug 2020 21:50 wrote:Much as I enjoy his music, he lost me when he decided to play in Israel, against the honest and reasonably expressed wishes of those on the receiving end of the ethnic cleansing of Palestine.

LOL. Is this supposed to be some sort of ironic take on cancel culture?

One false move and Cave "lost" all of us righteous-minded folks?

Not really. More of a 'final straw' and my personal opinion. If you think I ought to pay some attention to his views, by all means make your argument, I'll certainly listen to it.

I think you should some attention to the following argument he has made, it speaks for itself so listen to (or read) it.

Mercy is a value that should be at the heart of any functioning and tolerant society. Mercy ultimately acknowledges that we are all imperfect and in doing so allows us the oxygen to breathe — to feel protected within a society, through our mutual fallibility. Without mercy a society loses its soul, and devours itself.
Joe Hillshoist

Postby SonicG » Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:12 pm

"no excuse for rampaging in the streets, looting, rioting, assaulting, even killing, innocents."
Yah, US cops are pretty bad!

" the American Dream is a near impossibility"
I will schedule a time next Thursday to shed a tear...
"a poiminint tidal wave in a notion of dynamite"
SonicG

Postby conniption » Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:04 am

RT

RT presents The WOKIES: 2020’s top virtue signalers, ENTERTAINMENT edition

Michael McCaffrey

Michael McCaffrey is a writer and cultural critic who lives in Los Angeles. His work can be read at RT, Counterpunch and at his website mpmacting.com/blog. He is also the host of the popular cinema podcast Looking California and Feeling Minnesota. Follow him on Twitter @MPMActingCo

25 Dec, 2020

© YouTube / bgcyclops; © Getty Images via AFP / GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA / Kevin C. Cox; © REUTERS/Mike Blake

This year has been a bad one for most of us, but woke virtue signalers of every stripe have been having the best of times. To honor them, RT presents The Wokies award chart – and first on stage is the entertainment industry.

It is unsurprising that the entertainment industry, which naturally attracts the intellectually vapid, the emotionally insecure and the rabidly self-absorbed, boasted some of the most egregious and aggressive virtue signaling in the history of the art form in 2020.

Anyone who has ever waded through the intellectual cesspool of our narcissistic culture is all too familiar with the compulsive public expressions of moral superiority and shameless self-righteousness of entertainment industry wokeness.

In 2020, entertainment industry virtue signalers, in a desperate attempt for attention and validation, vomited such copious amounts of their odious, self-serving woke bile into the public sphere that it felt like we were all living in a giant virtue vomitorium.

In honor of the worst year in recent memory, I have put together a list of the 10 worst virtue signalers in entertainment for 2020. Enjoy!

10. New York Times film critics

The NYT’s list of the 25 Greatest Actors of the 21st Century (So Far) and the Best Actors of 2020 studiously ignored talent, skill and reality and instead went all in on virtue signaling by including a cavalcade of minority, foreign and elderly actors as well as ridiculous Tik-Tok performers. The final result is a human resources department’s wet dream and looks more like the waiting room at a casting call for a diversity and inclusion public service announcement than a collection of best actors.

9. Berlin International Film Festival

The home of the famous Golden Bear and Silver Bear Awards announced this year that they were going gender neutral in their acting awards… how very Weimar of them. Next up – Golden and Silver Bears announce their pronouns are they/them and ze/zir.

Also on rt.com Berlin Film Festival ditching ‘gendered’ best actor nomination will lead to unfair, outrage-dictated awards

8. HBO Max

Put a warning label on Gone with the Wind so that people knew they were bad for watching it and evil for liking it. Also put out UNpregnant, a zany, whacky, fun-loving teen abortion movie. So much virtue to signal!

Also on rt.com HBO Max has pulled ‘Gone With the Wind’ from its service in order to fight racism and, frankly my dear, I DO give a damn!

7. Kristen Bell

Bell had an All-Star caliber virtue signaling year… she quit a voice role because she is white, did the ‘I Take Responsibility’ video – the gold standard of the virtue signaling art form, then said she raises her kids anti-racist and doesn’t care about their sexual choices. The Quadruple Crown of virtue signaling! Ask not for whom the virtue signaling Bell tolls… it tolls for all of us!

Also on rt.com Purple Lives Matter? Kristen Bell children’s book preaching tolerance savaged for ‘colorblindness’ & ignoring real racism

6. Richard Brody, film critic at the New Yorker

Brody turned the virtue signaling up to 11 this year by being inappropriately amorous with the pedophile starter kit known as Cuties and by ranking Spike Lee’s abysmal and amateurish Da 5 Bloods as #2 on his ‘Best of the Year’ list. Apparently, Brody doesn’t care if people think he’s a pedophile, but he REALLY doesn’t want people to think he’s racist… now that’s some quality virtue signaling!

Also on rt.com Netflix’s backing of ‘Cuties’ is bad for its reputation, but the damage the film is doing to profits should hurt it more

5. Late Night Comedy

As evidenced by the insipid woke comedic stylings of Saturday Night Live, Jimmy Fallon’s impotent apology for wearing blackface 20 years ago, Stephen Colbert literally crying about Trump, and the eunuch brigade of Jimmy Kimmel, John Oliver and Trevor Noah going all in on the safest, wokest, establishment-approved comedy imaginable, virtue signaling has spread like a contagion through late night comedy. These flaccid, pandering clowns make Jay Leno seem downright Carlin-esque. Yuck.

Also on rt.com Comedians must never apologize if comedy is to survive in the age of cancel culture

4. Disney/Hulu

Disney attached absurdly verbose content warnings to some of their classic animated films like Dumbo and Lady and the Tramp and Hulu (which Disney controls) pulled episodes of 30 Rock, It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Scrubs, Golden Girls and Community for committing the sin of comedy ‘black face’ in the past. Disney – where adults get treated like children!

Also on rt.com Disney’s risible new content warning is the latest woke step on the slippery slope to entertainment armageddon

3. NBA/LeBron James

This year, the NBA emulated the flopping and vacant histrionics of its players by doing an extravagantly exaggerated, dramatically over-the-top embrace of ‘social justice’.

In the NBA bubble in Orlando – the Happiest Place on Earth, ‘Black Lives Matter’ was painted on every court and players wore trite woke slogans on the back of their jerseys. The absurdity and obscenity of filthy rich, pampered, dim-witted athletes, safely sealed in five-star hotels with all expenses paid, adored by millions of people worldwide, wearing jerseys demanding fans ‘See Us’ and ‘Love Us’ is so astronomical as to be immeasurable.

Then there is the MVP of Virtue Signaling, LeBron James, who should trade in his Nikes for clown shoes after he wore a Breonna Taylor ‘Say Her Name’ T-shirt and did an egregiously adolescent and nauseatingly pretentious Wakanda salute when Black Panther actor Chadwick Boseman died. Yikes.

LeBron won the NBA championship in 2020 and nearly took the virtue signaling title too!

Also on rt.com Wayne Dupree: I love the NBA, but these part-time activists have gotten on my last nerve

2. The Oscars

The Oscars opened 2020 by virtue signaling about the environment and ended it virtue signaling about diversity.

To paraphrase Schindler’s List, the Oscars’ new diversity and inclusion initiative isn’t just some good old-fashioned hating of straight, able-bodied white men…it’s official policy now.

If the Academy Awards’ goal is to signal its virtue enough to make straight, able-bodied white men persona non grata in Hollywood, destroy cinematic quality and bankrupt the film industry, they are succeeding spectacularly. Bravo!

Also on rt.com Take that, climate change! With the Oscars’ plant-based menu, Hollywood finally saves the world for real

1. ‘Imagine’ Video

Imagine being so self-absorbed that you think making a video of you and your wealthy friends singing the saccharine anthem ‘Imagine’ from your mansions during a pandemic when ordinary people are suffering unimaginable-to-you hardships such as losing their jobs, their homes and their loved ones, is a really good idea.

I ‘Imagine’ a glorious utopia with no jackass celebrities or pathetically pandering corporations and certainly no virtue signaling. I know it will never happen, but it is a pleasant dream.

Also on rt.com Covid-19 is the slow death of celebrity: As fame’s brilliance fades, we can see the real heroes clearly

Congratulations to all the virtue signalers of 2020. Your grating, self-serving displays of phony virtue are a towering monument to your own shamelessness and self-righteousness.

https://www.rt.com/op-ed/510452-2020-to ... rtainment/
Last edited by conniption on Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
conniption

Postby mentalgongfu2 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:05 am

What is virtue signaling?
"When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media in order to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink!"
mentalgongfu2

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion