Disinfo/Misinfo/"PR" as a Service

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Disinfo/Misinfo/"PR" as a Service

Postby Harvey » Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:39 pm

Belligerent Savant » Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:20 pm wrote:.

Yes, i get the vote rigging part (then compared to now, etc), but the bit about 'professional trolls' was interpreted, by me, as a reference to the OP article, which i don't see as a 'right-leaning' topic.

Perhaps i misinterpreted. Vote rigging isn't the topic of this thread, in any event.

Professional trolls was a straightforward reference to your subject, not the OP as such, as I read it. Perhaps Dada can confirm or deny.
And while we spoke of many things, fools and kings
This he said to me
"The greatest thing
You'll ever learn
Is just to love
And be loved
In return"

Eden Ahbez
Harvey

Blog: View Blog (20)

Postby Belligerent Savant » Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:00 pm

dada » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:35 pm wrote:Maybe 'of no consequence' was too strong.

To me, it is of little consequence. Of consequentiality, there is not so much.

The quality of consequence which the matter possesses, is low.

Appreciate the context, dada. And at this point this horse has been sufficiently tenderized, having long-past expired (and that's largely on me -- slapping myself on the wrist, right now, for this digression).

With respect to the OP, I raised it here in part to exemplify the services involved in professional trolling/disinfo/misinfo campaigns on behalf of entities aiming to re-frame narratives. It seems this has now become the norm rather than the exception (either via white-collar or letter agency means).
Belligerent Savant

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby JackRiddler » Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:45 pm

I think it's educated a sufficient number among the masses that it's reached a critical mass. Everyone's got a team now and knows the basic plays, it has achieved self-perpetuation even independently of the continuing PR and letter-agency involvement. (The consultants are never going to declare their obsolescence, of course.)
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby Belligerent Savant » Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:53 pm

Astutely summarized, though I expect no less from JR.

Let us not forget the Godfather of this M.O.:

https://www.thoughtco.com/edward-bernays-4685459

Edward Bernays, Father of Public Relations and Propaganda

Nephew of Freud Made a Profession Out of Shaping Public Opinion

Edward Bernays was an American business consultant who is widely regarded as having created the modern profession of public relations with his groundbreaking campaigns of the 1920s. Bernays attained clients among major corporations and became known for boosting their business by causing changes in public opinion.

Advertising was already commonplace by the early 20th century. But what Bernays did with his campaigns was significantly different, as he didn't openly seek to promote a particular product the way a typical ad campaign would. Instead, when hired by a company, Bernays would set out to change the opinions of the general public, creating demand...

[...]

Legacy

Bernays has been widely regarded as a pioneer in the field of public relations, and many of his techniques have become commonplace. For instance, the Bernays practice of forming interest groups to advocate for something is reflected daily in the commentators on cable television who represent interest groups and think tanks that seem to exist to confer respectability.

Often speaking out in retirement, Bernays, who lived to the age of 103 and died in 1995, was often critical of those who seemed to be his heirs. He told the New York Times, in an interview conducted in honor of his 100th birthday, that "any dope, any nitwit, any idiot, can call him or herself a public relations practitioner." However, he said he would be happy to be called "the father of public relations when the field is taken seriously, like law or architecture."
Belligerent Savant

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:29 pm

Belligerent Savant » 14 Nov 2020 06:59 wrote:.

Ha! I see myself incorporating more than one of the 'archetypes', in turns. Dog Typing on a Keyboard is how I sometimes consider my output.

Some of them have canny accuracy across platforms, eh.

You're along way from that. I post on a forum where that is the most startlingly accurate description of one of the commenters, depending on their recent meth intake.
Joe Hillshoist

Postby Belligerent Savant » Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:27 am

Cross-posting here as the thread title may be more apt for more recent activities:

Belligerent Savant » Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:18 am wrote:Image

The story behind Will Smith's recent Oscar performance for Pfizer

Public Relations Shapes the Practice of Medicine

https://amidwesterndoctor.substack.com/ ... m-will?s=r

Excerpt:
After I learned about public relations, I began to see how many things around us were nothing more than PR campaigns someone paid for to achieve a stated end. Many industries are based upon developing a proven formula and using it over and over and PR is no different. My hope in writing this Substack is to help you develop those magic glasses so you can also see a broader perspective of the world around us.

I’ve also been requested to write shorter easier to share articles (the next more detailed one about the entire population control business should be out this weekend). Today’s article is an abridged version of my previous article laying out the PR industry and how it works in a manner remarkably similar to selling pharmaceuticals and war.

Since publishing that article, I came across a remarkable study that summarizes many of the key points within it. The difference between those wearing and not wearing the glasses appears to be greater than I have ever seen before in my lifetime.

More at link.

Belligerent Savant

Postby Harvey » Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:23 pm

^ Yes. My girl friend pointed all this out to me on the night. She's on the ball and she's a fucking amazing researcher.
And while we spoke of many things, fools and kings
This he said to me
"The greatest thing
You'll ever learn
Is just to love
And be loved
In return"

Eden Ahbez
Harvey

Blog: View Blog (20)

Previous

Return to General Discussion