Georgia Runoff 1/5/21

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Georgia Runoff 1/5/21

Postby operator kos » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:29 pm

Control of the Senate now rests on the Georgia runoff election to be held on January 5, 2021. Deadline to register to vote is December 7, 2020 (17-year-olds can register if they will be 18 by January 5th). Please consider volunteering on donating if you can:

https://electjon.com

https://warnockforgeorgia.com

https://fairfight.com

"But operator kos, why is a radical left conspiracy theorist like you shilling for the Democratic Establishment?"

Because we're out of time to pursue perfect options. The best scientific models now project that we only have seven years to enact a massive Green New Deal if we want to avoid widespread, catastrophic and permanent damage to our biosphere. https://climateclock.world

If Republicans control the Senate, they will block any meaningful environmental policies. If Democrats are running the show without interference, we at least have a chance. You may say that Democrats don't have the guts to do what is needed even if they win, you may say it's too late already. But I will take a small chance over no chance. We can be stand by the sidelines as cynics and get to feel intellectually and morally superior. Or we can have the courage to fight like hell, even if the odds are against us. What we do in the next seven years will have consequences for literally centuries to come.
operator kos

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Georgia Runoff 1/5/21

Postby operator kos » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:40 pm

And it should go without saying that the fate of every other progressive issue is tied to this election as well.
operator kos

Postby JackRiddler » Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:21 pm

I am setting the over-under for total spending on the Georgia runoffs at one billion dollars. I'll take the over. Anyone want the under?
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby thrulookingglass » Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:16 pm

Amen operator kos.

Some progress is better than none, or the current process of regression Fuher Drumph has issued upon the souls of Earth.
thrulookingglass

Postby Belligerent Savant » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:38 pm

The U.S. govt is very well on course towards a marked escalation of Business As Usual; there is absolutely nothing in recent news that suggests otherwise, particularly given reports of the would-be Biden administration's pending cabinet selections.

How much longer will those subscribing to Establishment narratives going to continue this denial?

Trump was no Fuhrer. Sorry. Other than presentation and related optics, in what way was he markedly distinct than his predecessors? We're certainly well on our way towards OVERT totalitarianism/fascism, with our without Trump. Scoff all you want. Let's revisit this in 6-9 months and see where we are then, eh?

I assure you I'd like nothing more than to be proven wrong about my forecast.
Belligerent Savant

Postby DrEvil » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:20 am

operator kos » Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:29 pm wrote:Control of the Senate now rests on the Georgia runoff election to be held on January 5, 2021. Deadline to register to vote is December 7, 2020 (17-year-olds can register if they will be 18 by January 5th). Please consider volunteering on donating if you can:

https://electjon.com

https://warnockforgeorgia.com

https://fairfight.com

"But operator kos, why is a radical left conspiracy theorist like you shilling for the Democratic Establishment?"

Because we're out of time to pursue perfect options. The best scientific models now project that we only have seven years to enact a massive Green New Deal if we want to avoid widespread, catastrophic and permanent damage to our biosphere. https://climateclock.world

If Republicans control the Senate, they will block any meaningful environmental policies. If Democrats are running the show without interference, we at least have a chance. You may say that Democrats don't have the guts to do what is needed even if they win, you may say it's too late already. But I will take a small chance over no chance. We can be stand by the sidelines as cynics and get to feel intellectually and morally superior. Or we can have the courage to fight like hell, even if the odds are against us. What we do in the next seven years will have consequences for literally centuries to come.

Bingo. This is the one are where there is a marked difference between the Dems and the GOP: climate change. The GOP are denying its reality and trying to make it worse, the Dems are not. They may not be the green champions required, but they won't be actively sabotaging every measure.

Also, I couldn't help reading your "but operator kos..." line with Bill Hicks' internal monologue voice.
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Postby Belligerent Savant » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:46 pm

DrEvil » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:20 am wrote:
This is the one are where there is a marked difference between the Dems and the GOP: climate change. The GOP are denying its reality and trying to make it worse, the Dems are not. They may not be the green champions required, but they won't be actively sabotaging every measure.

We shall see. Initial prospects are not promising.
(shocker)

“If Joe Biden continues making corporate-friendly appointments to his White House, he will risk quickly fracturing the hard-earned goodwill his team built with progressives to defeat Donald Trump,”; "A Biden administration dominated by corporate-friendly insiders like [former Biden chief of staff] Steve Ricchetti and [Rep.] Cedric Richmond [D-La.] will not help the President-elect usher in the most progressive Democratic administration in generations," Justice Democrats Executive Director Alexandra Rojas said in a statement

A Joe Biden administration dominated by corporate-friendly insiders will not help usher in the most progressive Democratic administration in generations.
This move gives greater urgency for Joe Biden to create an Office of Climate Mobilization on Day 1 and appoint progressives.

pic.twitter.com/xkSszuza1q
— Justice Democrats (@justicedems) November 17, 2020

On Tuesday, Politico reported that Biden is appointing U.S. Rep. Cedric Richmond, D-La., to lead the White House Office of Public Engagement, where he is “expected to serve as a liaison with the business community and climate change activists.” Richmond, a national co-chair of Biden’s campaign, announced Monday that he will serve as a senior adviser and assistant to Biden as president, a role that has been compared to that of Valerie Jarrett in the Obama administration. Richmond is currently the only Democratic and only Black member of Louisiana’s House delegation.

During his 10 years in Congress, Richmond has received roughly $341,000 from donors in the oil and gas industry — the 5th highest total among House Democrats, according to previous reporting by Sludge. That includes corporate political action committee donations of $50,000 from Entergy, an electric and natural gas utility; $40,000 from ExxonMobil; and $10,000 apiece from oil companies Chevron, Phillips 66 and Valero Energy.

According to Sirota, Richmond has raked in that money while representing a congressional district that is home to 7 of the 10 most air-polluted census tracts in the country.

Richmond has repeatedly broken with his party on major climate and environmental votes. During the climate crisis that has battered his home state of Louisiana, Richmond has joined with Republicans to vote to increase fossil fuel exports and promote pipeline development. He also voted against Democratic legislation to place pollution limits on fracking — and he voted for GOP legislation to limit the Obama administration’s authority to more stringently regulate the practice.

Overall, Richmond has received a lifetime rating of 76 percent from the League of Conservation Voters, and he scored 46 percent in 2018 — one of the lowest ratings of any Democrat in Congress.
Belligerent Savant

Postby DrEvil » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:43 pm

^^Yeah, I saw that earlier. Not a good sign, but I'll withhold judgment until I see him in action. Who knows, he might be a new Wheeler.

Haha, who am I kidding. We're doomed!

As a side note: it really bugs me the way people in the US are labeled democrat or republican. The only requirement seems to be self-identification, policies be damned. In most countries each party has a platform they campaign on, and any congress member who votes against the platform is in serious trouble, often getting thrown out of the party.

In the US you can be a fully developed republican like the above guy and still officially be a democrat, which makes it incredibly easy to sabotage things, like this specimen:
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/11/10/poli ... index.html
DrEvil

Postby operator kos » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:30 am

Biden has some good and some bad environmental picks. But right now this is about Georgia. The League of Conservation Voters gives David Perdue a 3% lifetime score. The average score for Republicans on the national level is 8% while the average score for Democrats on the national level is 95%. This is an area where there is actually a massive difference between the two parties, hence the urgent need for preventing Republicans from controlling the Senate.
operator kos

Postby DrEvil » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:36 pm

Absolutely. Arguing over how green the dems are or not* is pointless if the GOP is in a position to sabotage everything they do anyway, which is exactly what ratfucker Mitch** and friends will do if they control the senate.

* They're greener that the GOP, but so is every other human being on the planet.

** I don't know for a fact that McConnell fucks rats, but I don't know that he doesn't either, although he might be more partial to turtles.
DrEvil

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:52 pm

Poor turtles!
Joe Hillshoist

Is there a McConnell death pool?

Postby JackRiddler » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:26 am

How does he rank only 669 out of 1200+?

https://www.ranker.com/list/celebrity-d ... type=n&g=0

Kentucky is a gubernatorial appointment state in case of replacing a senator.
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Next

Return to General Discussion