Parler, Big Tech, Debate on Online Speech

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Parler, Big Tech, Debate on Online Speech

Postby Blue » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:56 am

Luther Blissett » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:56 pm wrote:Fuck Parker. Fuck any platform that protects fascists. In the future, no truly democratic community would harbor nazis if truly informed and free from old propaganda and lies.

Agreed and shouldn't that be a consensus at this site, considering it's antifa?

Who will really miss the profa people? About time.

edit: just noticed it says Parker, who? But I'm sure you meant the Mercer's Parler.

Also, I have read some of the posts on that site, including some from a guy who lives not too far from me. Hideous macho violent shit leading up to his travel to storm the Capitol. He, along with the thousands of like-minded violent and crazy people have been exposed all over the country. One can only hope this will wake up the non-violent but mesmerized "Patriotic" Americans to just how far they are being led down the path to ruin for all of us and reconsider who they are pledging allegiance to.
Blue

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Blue » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:21 am

Is there a way to embed a tweet?

https://twitter.com/i/status/1350671786287927296
Blue

Postby JackRiddler » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:34 am

Not with the present state of the board. It would probably work if I added the media extension from phpBB, which exists. (Probably most of the time spent will be me figuring it out, rather than the actual installation.)

So meanwhile, take screenshot of tweet, upload image as attachment.

Or copy the text and format it in some simulation of tweet style using bold and larger font.

(I've done both. Yeh, time.)
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Re: Have you lost your collective fucking minds?

Postby stickdog99 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:41 pm

DrEvil » 17 Jan 2021 06:10 wrote:
Harvey » Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:25 am wrote:
Luther Blissett wrote:Fuck Parker. Fuck any platform that protects fascists. In the future, no truly democratic community would harbor nazis if truly informed and free from old propaganda and lies.

Cannot believe I'm reading this crap. Free speech is the protection of fascism?

How many of you actually read a single word on Parler? Once you've answered that, maybe we could talk about what Parler is or isn't. Anyway, your entire culture is already fascist. Mine too, but I'm not about to start crying out for censorship like a brainwashed idiot.

Think that's a wrap for me, Jack. Is it possible to delete my account so that I can't return to this cess pool?

But he's not wrong. Every fascist regime started out with fascism being tolerated, until suddenly only fascism was tolerated.

So total intolerance is the final solution to fascism?
stickdog99

Postby Belligerent Savant » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:43 pm

DrEvil » Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:10 am wrote:Every fascist regime started out with fascism being tolerated, until suddenly only fascism was tolerated.

Fascist regime! A gathering of rubes is a would-be fascist regime now? What of the fascist regime ALREADY in power?

People here actually believe the incident at the Capitol was an attempt at an insurrection? That even if it wasn't the clear failure it was always going to be, that -- if it somehow, hypothetically succeeded -- it would lead to... a "fascist takeover" of the country?! Wow.

What utter delusion.The fascists have already been 'in the building' for some time now. They've been markedly more overt in the past ~12 months, but fascist actions have been carried out under the false guise of 'democracy' or 'late-stage capitalism' or 'resource expansion' or 'peace-keeping missions' (etc, etc) for many years now.

You're all being played for fools, those of you swallowing the theatrics wholesale.

Instead of critical assessment -- analyzing root causes, for example -- we get this banal pap from Blue, unsurprisingly:

Perpetuating and cheerleading low-brow Establishment narratives. Just as RI always intended, eh?

Rhetorical question: since the advent of social media, the internet, and mobile phone SMS/chats, PRIOR to Parler, how were plans for riots/related activities carried out? What platforms were utilized? What platforms will be utilized regardless of Parler's existence?

Tell me, those of you that are clamoring for the shut down of Parler, that you realize there are other factors at play here. There are far more cynical plays by the influencers of narratives, but many appear to be absorbing the front-facing headlines with nary a hint of discernment.
Belligerent Savant

Postby kelley » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:48 pm

A government could exercise a right of eminent domain and simply seize Google as it exists within the digital commons, and regulate the spaces therein as it sees fit.

Of course this is a terrible idea, but there are solutions to monopoly control. This is but the most ignorant and ham-fisted one, but still.

It's pretty clear the role big tech plays here. Taken together it's a correlate for the soft power of the state, running alongside its harder twin. A type of parallel processing at work, if you will.
kelley

Postby Belligerent Savant » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:59 pm

Belligerent Savant » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:43 am wrote:Rhetorical question: since the advent of social media, the internet, and mobile phone SMS/chats, PRIOR to Parler, how were plans for riots/related activities carried out? What platforms were utilized? What platforms will be utilized regardless of Parler's existence?

Caveat to the above: 'Big Tech' will be advancing more overt/aggressive measures in the months to come with larger-scale deployment of their AI algorithms and related content-filtering mechanisms to identify, censor or otherwise memory-hole communications/postings deemed to be 'misinformation' (however they choose to define it) or otherwise purge any information detrimental to the honorable and just intentions of The State .
Belligerent Savant

Kiss them, embrace them, wherever you meet!

Postby JackRiddler » Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:07 pm

stickdog99 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:41 am wrote:So total intolerance is the final solution to fascism?

Is it better to describe the fascists, immediately after an attack on the legislature ordered by the executive (their signature move!), as semi-harmless, hapless rubes, perhaps mere pawns along with their antagonists, while using your choice of over-the-top rhetoric (total, final) to describe any measure proposed to protect ourselves from these poor patriotic American citizens?
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

JackRiddler

Postby dada » Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:32 pm

"Amazon said it was unconvinced that the service’s plan to use volunteers to moderate calls for violence and hate speech would be effective."

Let's say the line is drawn at death threats, directed at individuals and groups. The media platform is slow to moderate, whether because they can't keep up, or they don't really want to, or some combination of the two.

What do you do? The moderators aren't doing their job. Not everyone is making death threats, but the ones that aren't share the media platform with the ones that are. To continue hosting the media platform is to continue to host the death threats.

So, does protecting the free speech of those on the media platform who aren't making death threats, provide cover for the ones making death threats? I don't mean this in a "purposefully providing cover" way. I'm saying that this is the result. Protecting free speech is the argument, however noble and high-minded, that results in the proliferation of death threats.

Maybe the lesson is "don't share a media platform with people who make death threats." Not an "I'm going to teach you a lesson" lesson, but a sesame street lesson.

Or you could always blame amazon. Free speech isn't a debate, or a discussion, it's mud wrestling. Steel cage match, battle royale.
Both his words and manner of speech seemed at first totally unfamiliar to me, and yet somehow they stirred memories - as an actor might be stirred by the forgotten lines of some role he had played far away and long ago.
dada

Postby JackRiddler » Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:42 pm

Belligerent Savant » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:43 am wrote:What utter delusion.The fascists have already been 'in the building' for some time now.

That is correct, in the sense you mean it (in which you conflate the empire with fascism, but I'm letting it pass here).

And who is the actual top executive leader of this government? Whose "administration" objectively escalated the wars and increased the military plunder? Right, the same guy who invited the mob of his followers to attack the less odious other parties in this government, to make it far more fascist in your sense or anyone else's, to "show strength" on behalf of keeping him in power by overturning an election he lost.

And THAT is what you a) never acknowledge factually, b) trivialize utterly and distract from, c) pretend is not being set into motion by the president of this government you already call "fascist", d) pretend is a product of the "downtrodden" and poor deluded souls whom we should be seeking to ally with, e) pretend was a protest against something other than the election results and the fact that Trump has to go now, and f) pretend is somehow not a putsch in favor of escalated war, escalated neoliberalism, escalated inequality, escalated repression and surveillance and control. Because it was all these things.

Those people were storming a branch of the government you consider "fascist" in order to make that government much more "fascist," in exactly the way you are using the word. And your position, of pretending this action, initiated by the head of state, was actually minor compared to the evils of the state he heads, is incoherent.

JackRiddler

Postby DrEvil » Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:16 pm

stickdog99 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:41 pm wrote:
Luther Blissett wrote:Fuck Parker. Fuck any platform that protects fascists. In the future, no truly democratic community would harbor nazis if truly informed and free from old propaganda and lies.

How many of you actually read a single word on Parler? Once you've answered that, maybe we could talk about what Parler is or isn't. Anyway, your entire culture is already fascist. Mine too, but I'm not about to start crying out for censorship like a brainwashed idiot.

Think that's a wrap for me, Jack. Is it possible to delete my account so that I can't return to this cess pool?

But he's not wrong. Every fascist regime started out with fascism being tolerated, until suddenly only fascism was tolerated.

Intolerance of fascism is step one in preventing fascism from taking root. Why is this so hard to understand? You do not tolerate the people who want to line you up against a wall and shoot you. And piss off with your "final solution" jabs, you clearly need a history lesson or two (hint: guess who came up with the final solution?)
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Postby DrEvil » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:45 pm

Belligerent Savant » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:43 pm wrote:
DrEvil » Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:10 am wrote:Every fascist regime started out with fascism being tolerated, until suddenly only fascism was tolerated.

Fascist regime! A gathering of rubes is a would-be fascist regime now? What of the fascist regime ALREADY in power?

People here actually believe the incident at the Capitol was an attempt at an insurrection? That even if it wasn't the clear failure it was always going to be, that -- if it somehow, hypothetically succeeded -- it would lead to... a "fascist takeover" of the country?! Wow.

What utter delusion.The fascists have already been 'in the building' for some time now. They've been markedly more overt in the past ~12 months, but fascist actions have been carried out under the false guise of 'democracy' or 'late-stage capitalism' or 'resource expansion' or 'peace-keeping missions' (etc, etc) for many years now.

You're all being played for fools, those of you swallowing the theatrics wholesale.

Instead of critical assessment -- analyzing root causes, for example -- we get this banal pap from Blue, unsurprisingly:

Perpetuating and cheerleading low-brow Establishment narratives. Just as RI always intended, eh?

Rhetorical question: since the advent of social media, the internet, and mobile phone SMS/chats, PRIOR to Parler, how were plans for riots/related activities carried out? What platforms were utilized? What platforms will be utilized regardless of Parler's existence?

Tell me, those of you that are clamoring for the shut down of Parler, that you realize there are other factors at play here. There are far more cynical plays by the influencers of narratives, but many appear to be absorbing the front-facing headlines with nary a hint of discernment.

You may want to reread what I wrote, particularly the last part. It's what Jack said: it was an attempt at more fascism. You're so consumed by your grand conspiracies of nebulous design that you can't see the one happening right in front of you in broad daylight.
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Postby BenDhyan » Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:21 pm

JackRiddler » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:34 am wrote:

Not with the present state of the board. It would probably work if I added the media extension from phpBB, which exists. (Probably most of the time spent will be me figuring it out, rather than the actual installation.)

So meanwhile, take screenshot of tweet, upload image as attachment.

Or copy the text and format it in some simulation of tweet style using bold and larger font.

(I've done both. Yeh, time.)

A bit of a pain, but you can always download the Tweet as MP4 format and then upload to your Youtube, then use the link to embed it..
An easy converter downloader is this one...https://ddownr.com/

Ben D
BenDhyan

Re: Kiss them, embrace them, wherever you meet!

Postby stickdog99 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:34 pm

JackRiddler » 17 Jan 2021 17:07 wrote:
stickdog99 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:41 am wrote:So total intolerance is the final solution to fascism?

Is it better to describe the fascists, immediately after an attack on the legislature ordered by the executive (their signature move!), as semi-harmless, hapless rubes, perhaps mere pawns along with their antagonists, while using your choice of over-the-top rhetoric (total, final) to describe any measure proposed to protect ourselves from these poor patriotic American citizens?

I'm all ears about various potentially helpful "take back Big Tech" proposals, just as you are.. What I'm against is people continually demanding that I break my basic principles of preferring countering rather than censoring bad political speech when it comes to their working definition of fascism and fascists du jour. To prove that I'm not yet another dangerous and deadly fascist, I am being asked to swear my fealty first and foremost to censorship and persecution of free political speech. I happen to think that's pretty fucked up.
stickdog99

Postby Belligerent Savant » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:35 pm

DrEvil » Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:16 pm wrote:
stickdog99 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:41 pm wrote:

Intolerance of fascism is step one in preventing fascism from taking root. Why is this so hard to understand? You do not tolerate the people who want to line you up against a wall and shoot you. And piss off with your "final solution" jabs, you clearly need a history lesson or two (hint: guess who came up with the final solution?)

So you're doubling down on your delusions, then.

Fascism has ALREADY taken root, FFS.

I know my history all too well. I'm not the one that may need a refresher.

How did Hitler come into power? What underlying/contributing factors allowed for the accumulation of Germany's power? Did he not have the support of the German populace, prior to his extreme acts?
The parallels are certainly there. Unfortunately you and others are misreading what's in front of you.
Last edited by Belligerent Savant on Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Belligerent Savant

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion