Re: Suez Canal 2021

Postby Grizzly » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:07 pm

Grizzly » Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:10 pm wrote:
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-ne ... cinations/

Coinkydink?

Elvis
Everything in Washington is named "Evergreen." :D

i.e. "The Evergreen State"

Yeah... as someone else said, "I'm probably experiencing media-induced synchronicity, but Evergreen is the word of the week for sure."
“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Iamwhomiam » Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:00 pm

I believe I understand what occurred to cause the ship to become wedged in the canal. Pretty sure all have heard there were high energy crosswinds at the time. According to a radio report, the ship had been using its bow thrusters to maintain a centerline course in the crosswind, but the wind suddenly died and the thrusters weren't reversed quickly enough to abate the bow's movement to the starboard side. Still, somebody was asleep at the wheel; it should not have happened if the crew were alert.

Lloyds said it cost $400 million per hour in delayed goods. Average container ship passage through the Suez ranges from $100k to $300k; a ship like the Ever Given, $400k. Average daily movement of cargo goods through the canal is about $10 billion.
Iamwhomiam

Postby Hugo Farnsworth » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:15 am

Remember the "Yellow Fleet"? The canal was closed eight years from 1967-1975. Big ship global trade had already bypassed the canal because it was too narrow, so the fallout from the closure was not as great as Nassar had hoped.
Without traversing the edges, the center is unknowable.
Hugo Farnsworth

Postby DrEvil » Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:32 pm

It was before my time, but I read about it not long ago. An entire little society evolved on the lake (the Great Bitter Lake Association) with their own postal system and everything. The same thing is going on now, with sailors stranded on ships all over the world due to the pandemic, but they're spread all over so there's no community. They should all just say 'fuck it!' and band together into a a roving maritime nation.
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Postby stickdog99 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:08 pm

DrEvil » 30 Mar 2021 16:32 wrote:It was before my time, but I read about it not long ago. An entire little society evolved on the lake (the Great Bitter Lake Association) with their own postal system and everything. The same thing is going on now, with sailors stranded on ships all over the world due to the pandemic, but they're spread all over so there's no community. They should all just say 'fuck it!' and band together into a a roving maritime nation.

stickdog99

Previous

Return to General Discussion