New Australian surveillance laws.

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

New Australian surveillance laws.

Postby drstrangelove » Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:22 pm

Two Australian law enforcement bodies will soon have the power to modify, add, copy, or delete data, after the Bill allowing such activity was waved through the Senate on Wednesday morning

The Surveillance Legislation Amendment (Identify and Disrupt) Bill 2020, now awaiting Royal Assent, hands the Australian Federal Police (AFP) and the Australian Criminal Intelligence Commission (ACIC) three new powers for dealing with online crime.

The first of the warrants is a data disruption one, touted as a way to prevent "continuation of criminal activity by participants, and be the safest and most expedient option where those participants are in unknown locations or acting under anonymous or false identities". This warrant gives the cops the ability to "disrupt data" by modifying, copying, adding, or deleting it.

Failure to comply could land an individual with 10 years of imprisonment.

The second is a network activity warrant that would allow the AFP and ACIC to collect intelligence from devices or networks that are used, or likely to be used, by those subject to the warrant.

The last warrant is an account takeover warrant that will allow the agencies to take control of an online account for the purposes of gathering information for an investigation

. . .

"What's worse, the data disruption and network activity warrant could be issued by a member of the Administrative Appeals Tribunal -- really? It is outrageous that these warrants won't come from a judge of a superior court."

http://www.zdnet.com/google-amp/article ... mendments/

I love these new public safety measures.
Hopefully they keep me safer than ever.
At last we are dealing with those who have incorrect views.
Very soon we should be able to achieve the one correct view.
Everyone sharing the same correct view, how pleasant.
Because social stability means social responsibility.
Everyone is responsible for everyone else.
Everyone belongs to everyone else.
No more selfish individuals.
Correct behaviour must be enforced.
Or else the whole of society suffers greatly.
More suffering for more people.
People shouldn't be made to suffer for others mistakes.
Rights are a weapon of the individual against the organism.
O' great nation of Australia, cleanse our body of its impurities.
Mercy to those who stand corrected but none other.
Idoltry for fasces bundled atop our parliament house.
Strike down those that pollute our glory.
Evolve our body into ubermensch.
Dissolve the alignments of our society.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.abc.ne ... le/9859618
drstrangelove

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: New Australian surveillance laws.

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:56 am

I dunno how old you are, but we've had 20 years of this shit and a decade before that using drugs as the bogeyman...
Joe Hillshoist

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:59 am

And you probably haven't even heard about this shit in Vic but the NSW Deputy Premier sicced the Fixated Persons Unit onto Friendly Jordies, the comedian.
Joe Hillshoist

Postby drstrangelove » Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:07 am

It's a slow poison that's been hatching since before I was aware of a world outside my immediate social life. Unfortunately I'm young enough that I'll have to live in this future, though there is meaning to be found in the fight against it.

I saw the video of the kid getting arrested by the terror squad. At least in that instance the police actions have been held to account.

I'd be interested in your take of what's going on in our country at the moment. It feels like our Federation is about to break down.
drstrangelove

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:08 pm

drstrangelove » 02 Sep 2021 20:07 wrote:It's a slow poison that's been hatching since before I was aware of a world outside my immediate social life. Unfortunately I'm young enough that I'll have to live in this future, though there is meaning to be found in the fight against it.

I saw the video of the kid getting arrested by the terror squad. At least in that instance the police actions have been held to account.

I'd be interested in your take of what's going on in our country at the moment. It feels like our Federation is about to break down.

Its honestly not that different to how its ever been. Its the same slow march to tyranny that started under Bob Hawke I spose.

But the thing about the kid being arrested by the terror squad is that he was a comedian, or the comedian's producer and they are both associated with the ALP, the political opposition in NSW. Nothing has really been held to account cos the guy who started this - the deputy premier of NSW - is still in his job despite using the fixated persons unit to chase his political enemies.

I know lockdowns seem like shit but this is a much bigger deal.

Its a politician breaking the seperation of powers and using the police force for personal (he is suing the Shanks for defamation) and political gain.

In much the same way that the legislation you started this thread about breaks the separation of powers. The AAT isn't part of the judiciary so there is no judicial oversight of the legislation or how its used on a day to day basis.

To me its really disturbing that limitations on government or state power are just no longer part of any conversation we have in this country. And I'm not that bothered by lockdowns. They are unenforceable. As soon as people don't believe in them they stop following them. (Which is a pity because I think they are necessary. i have friends in indigenous communities, vulnerable groups etc etc and they will get fucked up by this virus. for all the crap in the covid thread its a campaigner of a virus. And as usual people are so distracted that they miss the real issue - Gain of Function research. But you can't blame people for getting disillusioned with this stuff. It seems endless and the people in power have fucked up everything they should have got right.)
Joe Hillshoist

Postby Harvey » Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:15 am

And as usual people are so distracted that they miss the real issue - Gain of Function research.

According to even the woeful resident search tool, gain of function research has been in general discussion at RI since 2013 and in relation to Covid since February 2020..
And while we spoke of many things, fools and kings
This he said to me
"The greatest thing
You'll ever learn
Is just to love
And be loved
In return"

Eden Ahbez
Harvey

Blog: View Blog (20)

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:32 am

Harvey » 10 Sep 2021 19:15 wrote:
And as usual people are so distracted that they miss the real issue - Gain of Function research.

According to even the woeful resident search tool, gain of function research has been in general discussion at RI since 2013 and in relation to Covid since February 2020..

I was talking about Australia, not RI.

It probably wasn't clear tho.
Joe Hillshoist

Postby Harvey » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:40 am

In that case, is it the fault of the people you are referring to or the contradictory and obfuscatory barrage of propaganda we call 'public discourse'?

Need I remind you that the same person conducting 'gain of function' research in China is literally the same person who is setting US health policy and who has previously denied the virus was created by such research or that the research was even taking place.
And while we spoke of many things, fools and kings
This he said to me
"The greatest thing
You'll ever learn
Is just to love
And be loved
In return"

Eden Ahbez
Harvey

Blog: View Blog (20)

Postby drstrangelove » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:43 am

@joe

What is your understanding of covid's risk profile?

Based on about half a dozen research papers I've read the abstracts of, the infection fatality rate is estimated between 0.1-0.3% across all age groups. When you get to over 60s it jumps up to around 1-3%, but under 40s are under 0.01% . This fact isn't even disputed, only refuted by ignoring it for the inaccurate metric of case fatality rate. I'm on mobile so it's difficult to link these studies, but if this information is of interest I will make the effort to provide you with sources.

Of course this is just death. But evidence for long covid Is at least as dubious as what I'd call, in response to such a concern, long vaccine. So beyond death, there isn't much of an argument to be made unless one is willing to confront the evidence for the cure's side effects as well, which leaves one in a bit of pickle.

I only ask this because you seem to be implying something with the gain of function angle, like bioweapon. And if that is the case, then I'm fucking intrigued, but the evidence for covid as 'high risk' just isn't there unless one stratifies age demographics. But then one is arguing, in supporting on going lockdowns, that the young must sacrifice their primes for the retirements of their elders. For how long though?

The only justification for lockdowns, as I see it, is to protect over 60s. But all over 60s have been offered a vaccine, and the goverment, responsible for the lockdown, says the vaccine is safe and effective. If the vaccine is safe and effective and has been offered to all over 60s, then it's time to open up or admit the vaccines don't work. As far as I'm concerned , pick one.

I think the vaccine issue isn't so much a safety one, so much as it appears like they are just rushed to market pieces of shit, like pretty much every commodity being churned out these days. They say immunity wanes after 6 months, so protection has probably more or less dissipated four months after being administered, which funnily enough, perfectly aligns with the trial periods. Reminds me of every single product you pay for these days. Get a new phone, the shit stops working just in time for the next gen release. And now they are pushing this pernicious business model on people's health.

The lockdown laws and surveillance laws are one of the same. They are designed to meet at a future juncture. This is no different than 9/11 terror laws, except everywhere's an airport and everyone's an Arab.
drstrangelove

Return to General Discussion