The plight of native Australians

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

The plight of native Australians

Postby Harvey » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:56 pm

Good a place as any to start. I watched this when it was released, it definitely lodged in my mind. One click takes you to the whole film on Vimeo. I do look forward to learning more about the subject and thanks to Joe for prompting this thread.

I should add that almost everything I think I know Aboriginal cultures comes from popular media, documentaries and film, or books like Songlines by Chatwin or tangentially in novels like Alan Garner's Strandloper. Fascinating fact, the Australasians were among those who first colonised the America's and share DNA with some existing South American native populations, which I first learned through reading Graham Hancock.

Utopia by John Pilger.

And while we spoke of many things, fools and kings
This he said to me
"The greatest thing
You'll ever learn
Is just to love
And be loved
In return"

Eden Ahbez
Harvey

Blog: View Blog (20)

Re: The plight of native Australians

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:41 am

I haven't seen Utopia. Its sposed to be good tho.

I have seen this:

It came out when I was 15 or 16. Utopia is follow up nearly 30 years later.

A lot changed in that time. And alot didn't.

Its funny seeing that film. The guy at 16.48. What he said was true or meaningful or something and resonated with me. Years later i met him, knew him for a while and never realised it was him. I only just worked that out rewatching this tonight. That's fucken amazing. We got on really well while he lived/regularly visited around here in Nimbin, but I'm not really that good at keeping in touch with people and don't go to Nimbin much anymore so we lost touch . Its genuinely blown me away.
Joe Hillshoist

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Harvey » Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:16 am

Small world! I knew Pilger had other films on Australia, thanks for bringing it to my door.
This he said to me
"The greatest thing
You'll ever learn
Is just to love
And be loved
In return"

Eden Ahbez
Harvey

Postby Harvey » Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:44 am

Like others, I have occasional reservations about Off Guardian, but use my own discretion on a case by case basis, which seems a sensible way to proceed...

https://off-guardian.org/2021/11/26/what-is-happening-in-australias-aboriginal-communities/

What is happening in Australia’s Aboriginal communities?

The last few days we have heard some alarming reports about how the Northern Territories of Australia are treating their indigenous communities.

Tweets and videos have emerged claiming aboriginal people are being removed from their land and sent to “quarantine centres”, allegedly to protect them from the virus.

Some representatives of the community have sent out videos asking for “international aid”, and claiming Aboriginal communities are being placed under “martial law” and people are being removed from their homes “at gunpoint”

BREAKING NEWS Representatives of the Aboriginal Community in Australia issue International Plea for help over tyrannical Australian coercion & control.

How much longer can the world just sit back and let this happen? pic.twitter.com/Arnd2teCLJ

— UNN (@UnityNewsNet) November 24, 2021

At a protest against the measures, one aboriginal elder was violently arrested by officers witnesses claim were not wearing ID badges.

Another elder, June Mills, posted a video to facebook expressing concern about how difficult it is to get information out of the locked down communities. She says she has heard that the army is “removing people against their will”, ending with the emotive cry “they are killing us!”

Australia has been so rapidly descending into a fascist hellhole that none of this, if true, would be at all surprising. The very fact they have a huge quarantine camp they unironically refer to as “The Centre for National Resilience” should be a massive red flag for everyone.

Michael Gunner, Chief Minister of the Northern Territories, was a caricature of wide-eyed zealotry in a recent press conference. When asked whether vaccine mandates might alienate some people, even those already vaccinated he said:

If you support or give comfort to anybody who argues against the vaccine, you are an anti-vaxxer, I don’t care what your personal vaccination status is.”

Australia : "If you are against the vaccine mandate, you are an anti-vaxxer, even if you are personally vaccinated"

Some people are evil. Some people are stupid. But what's really dangerous is the combination of both
_pic.twitter.com/ifQPBASza7

— Dr. Eli David (@DrEliDavid) November 22, 2021

The phrase “give comfort too” should alarm people, because it’s only ever used in warlike settings, discussing treason and collusion. “Giving comfort to the enemy“.

In another press conference, Gunner also announced a “hard lockdown” in aboriginal communities, meaning people are not allowed to leave their homes except for medical treatment or if required by law. Adding that people are being “removed” to quarantine centres in military trucks. Not just people diagnosed with “covid”, but “close contacts” too:

This is an absolutely appalling breach of human rights.. 38 indigenous Australians in the Northern Territory have been hauled into quarantine camps by the army. pic.twitter.com/VBrCAg3ZdP

— Pelham (@Resist_05) November 22, 2021

Police are going door to door in Aboriginal communities to “intensively engage” with those who do not want the “vaccine”.

All this is being sold in the mainstream as “concern” for communities which could be “extra vulnerable”.

Voices on social media – who are totally real, and not at all shills there to control the narrative – are claiming strict measures are necessary to protect indigenous Australians from Covid, because it would rip through their communities “like syphilis did to the Native Americans”. There is, so far, very little evidence to support this fear-mongering.

However, written statements, allegedly from people detained, are emerging online saying they are being well taken care of, and that “irresponsible” social media posts are “hurting people”.

Amnesty UK issued a press release condemning the moves, but this was swiftly countermanded by Amnesty Australia, and dismissed as “disinformation” in the press and by Michael Gunner as “conspiracy theorising” from “tinfoil hat-wearing tossers”.

Some other Australian states are already building quarantine camps specifically for Aboriginal communities.

South Australia announced a tender for these camps last week, with press coverage underlining they would be only for those people who are “unable to isolate at home”.

Whether genuinely well-intentioned or not, it can certainly be argued this is an example of massive governmental overreach, especially for a virus that is at worst a bad seasonal flu.

It’s a convoluted and complex situation, with the real facts being hard to establish. Whatever the reality, it’s a situation that bears close watching.
This he said to me
"The greatest thing
You'll ever learn
Is just to love
And be loved
In return"

Eden Ahbez
Harvey

Postby Harvey » Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:02 am

I have to admit, my very first thought was that Covid might be being used for another land grab. I hoped I was wrong. While I recognise this clip isn't necessarily related to Covid in any way, it appears seizures of Aboriginal land are occuring.

https://twitter.com/AnonCitizenUK/statu ... 0887885825
This he said to me
"The greatest thing
You'll ever learn
Is just to love
And be loved
In return"

Eden Ahbez
Harvey

Postby conniption » Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:26 pm

RT

Thousands flood streets to decry vaccine mandate (VIDEOS)
27 Nov, 2021
Australia: Thousands protest in Sydney against mandatory vaccination

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srVrNGCIbJc

A fresh round of rallies against mandatory Covid vaccination has hit Australia, with hundreds of thousands protesting in dozens of cities. Aerial footage captured huge crowds blocking central streets.

New rallies all across the country happened on Saturday, as people demonstrated for more freedom in relation to coronavirus vaccination. Organized by the Millions March Against Mandatory Vaccination group, massive protests swept central Sydney, Melbourne, Canberra and Perth, along with 30 other cities and towns in Australia...

continues (videos, etc.): https://www.rt.com/news/541490-australi ... -mandates/
conniption

Postby Harvey » Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:20 am

This he said to me
"The greatest thing
You'll ever learn
Is just to love
And be loved
In return"

Eden Ahbez
Harvey

Postby stickdog99 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:02 am

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-12-01/ ... /100663994

At a COVID update press conference, NT Chief Minister Michael Gunner confirmed the teenagers, aged 15, 16 and 17, tested negative for the virus yesterday.

He said all three were from the Binjari community near Katherine and had been sent into quarantine as close contacts of positive cases. ...

The facility is housing people affected by the Katherine region COVID-19 outbreak as well as returned travellers from repatriation flights, including a man who tested positive for the Omicron variant on Monday. ...

At the press conference, Mr Gunner said authorities were dealing with "a pretty complicated cohort at the Centre for National Resilience right now, with complex needs."

"This the first time we've had to use the centre for large numbers of people from an Aboriginal community, but it probably won't be the last time," he said.

Since the confirmation of cases in the community of Robinson River and Katherine on November 15, positive cases and hundreds of household and other close contacts have been flown to the facility in Darwin to undertake quarantine.

Mr Gunner said the isolation in quarantine was "pretty hard for some people ... used to being close to family and community."

He said the escape could mean an extension of the time the teenagers were required to stay in quarantine.

"Absconding from Howard Springs isn't just dangerous — it is incredibly stupid," he said.

"Because we will catch you and there will be consequences.”
stickdog99

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:51 pm

stickdog99 » 02 Dec 2021 17:02 wrote:https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-12-01/multiple-people-escape-howard-springs-quarantine-facility-darwin/100663994

At a COVID update press conference, NT Chief Minister Michael Gunner confirmed the teenagers, aged 15, 16 and 17, tested negative for the virus yesterday.

He said all three were from the Binjari community near Katherine and had been sent into quarantine as close contacts of positive cases. ...

The facility is housing people affected by the Katherine region COVID-19 outbreak as well as returned travellers from repatriation flights, including a man who tested positive for the Omicron variant on Monday. ...

At the press conference, Mr Gunner said authorities were dealing with "a pretty complicated cohort at the Centre for National Resilience right now, with complex needs."

"This the first time we've had to use the centre for large numbers of people from an Aboriginal community, but it probably won't be the last time," he said.

Since the confirmation of cases in the community of Robinson River and Katherine on November 15, positive cases and hundreds of household and other close contacts have been flown to the facility in Darwin to undertake quarantine.

Mr Gunner said the isolation in quarantine was "pretty hard for some people ... used to being close to family and community."

He said the escape could mean an extension of the time the teenagers were required to stay in quarantine.

"Absconding from Howard Springs isn't just dangerous — it is incredibly stupid," he said.

"Because we will catch you and there will be consequences.”

You know kids are likely to be denied bail in the NT right, since Gunner's government passed laws earlier this year making bail for children very difficult?

I presume you were as outraged then, especially because the only people in juvenile detention (ie the only kids locked up for crimes) in the NT are indigenous.
Joe Hillshoist

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:55 pm

Harvey » 28 Nov 2021 01:02 wrote:I have to admit, my very first thought was that Covid might be being used for another land grab. I hoped I was wrong. While I recognise this clip isn't necessarily related to Covid in any way, it appears seizures of Aboriginal land are occuring.

Covid won't be used for a land grab as such. They already happen without COVID.

Google "Juukan Gorge" and Rio Tinto.
Joe Hillshoist

Postby Harvey » Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:59 am

Joe Hillshoist » Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:55 am wrote:
Harvey » 28 Nov 2021 01:02 wrote:I have to admit, my very first thought was that Covid might be being used for another land grab. I hoped I was wrong. While I recognise this clip isn't necessarily related to Covid in any way, it appears seizures of Aboriginal land are occuring.

Covid won't be used for a land grab as such. They already happen without COVID.

Google "Juukan Gorge" and Rio Tinto.

Nonsense. It can and probably already is - all over the world. It's a Get Out of Genocide Free Card.

Let's hope this stays firmly in the realm of hyperbole:

Last edited by Harvey on Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
This he said to me
"The greatest thing
You'll ever learn
Is just to love
And be loved
In return"

Eden Ahbez
Harvey

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:54 am