Supply Chains

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Supply Chains

Postby drstrangelove » Tue May 10, 2022 7:34 pm

Heatwave in India threatens export ambitions
India is the world’s second-biggest producer and consumer of wheat. Its biggest annual wheat crop is the rabi, or winter crop, planted from October through to December and harvested in their spring. In India’s southern and central cropping regions, the rabi harvest has already been completed or is approaching completion. But substantial concern remains around the health of the crops in the northern states, the country’s most productive region, where the crop remains largely unharvested.

In mid-February, government production estimates had India on course for another record harvest of 111.32 million tonnes (Mt), up from 109.59Mt last year. But the Indian Agriculture Ministry revised its production forecast down last week by almost 5.7 per cent, or 6.32Mt to 105Mt, with further downward revisions possible once the harvest ramps up in the north and the full impact on yields is revealed. Many traders and market analysts are already expecting production to dip below 100Mt, with sub-95Mt also being mooted.

- https://www.graincentral.com/markets/he ... ambitions/
drstrangelove

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby drstrangelove » Tue May 10, 2022 8:08 pm

Maybe they are pooling resources for a breakaway civ. Kind of like Russia and China and industrialisation, but with spacex and blueorigin and CERN portals. The problem the elect face, even if they somehow managed to successfully build an Elysium which was anything other than short lived illusion, is that synthetic automation can't replace that dark combustible rush of class superiority they derive from treading on nerve and muscle in their day to day lives. Like playing games against an AI, the victory is empty and there can be no real triumph. They'd go mad, their orgies would just become more and more extreme to compensate, like slavery in Rome becoming blase and the the only thing left to spice it up being sadism. Machines can't cry real tears.
drstrangelove

Postby MacCruiskeen » Wed May 11, 2022 4:11 am

"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby drstrangelove » Wed May 11, 2022 4:25 am

Natural-Gas Prices Rise in Europe After Ukraine Cuts Flows
The Gas TSO of Ukraine, which runs the country’s pipeline network, said Tuesday it would halt gas flowing through a transit point in the Luhansk region of Donbas that accounted for about a third of Russian gas exports to Europe through Ukraine. The company said Russian forces had interfered with technical processes at key pipeline infrastructure, including by siphoning off gas.

- https://www.wsj.com/articles/natural-ga ... 1652255011
drstrangelove

Postby MacCruiskeen » Wed May 11, 2022 5:13 am

Empty shelves at San Antonio Food Bank spark worries ahead of summer (2m 11s)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWQ-mYan1oc
"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby Harvey » Thu May 12, 2022 5:53 pm

List of 120+ US and Mexico food processing plants in three years, 60 in the last four months.

Spread sheet here: https://ethercalc.net/=llxw951s03

and here: https://ufile.io/4otkn8sm

Via: https://archive.4plebs.org/pol/thread/3 ... #376414300
And while we spoke of many things, fools and kings
This he said to me
"The greatest thing
You'll ever learn
Is just to love
And be loved
In return"

Eden Ahbez
Harvey

Blog: View Blog (20)

Postby drstrangelove » Thu May 12, 2022 7:21 pm

Europe's gas supply crisis grows after Russia imposes sanctions

- https://www.reuters.com/business/energy ... 022-05-12/

Europe gas spikes 22% as Germany quarrels with Russia over supply
Moscow late Wednesday sanctioned the former Gazprom PJSC subsidiary — which is now under the control of the German energy regulator — including energy supplier Wingas GmbH and London-based unit Gazprom Marketing & Trading Ltd. The move could also upend LNG markets, and bring even greater supply worries.

Still, German Economy Minister Robert Habeck downplayed the impact, saying the Russian cuts amount to just 3% of the country’s imports. The nation was getting shipments from alternate sources and can cope with the disruption, he said. Utility RWE AG said Russia’s new sanctions are “not material.”

- https://www.aljazeera.com/economy/2022/ ... ver-supply
drstrangelove

Postby DrEvil » Thu May 12, 2022 7:46 pm

drstrangelove » Wed May 11, 2022 2:08 am wrote:Maybe they are pooling resources for a breakaway civ. Kind of like Russia and China and industrialisation, but with spacex and blueorigin and CERN portals. The problem the elect face, even if they somehow managed to successfully build an Elysium which was anything other than short lived illusion, is that synthetic automation can't replace that dark combustible rush of class superiority they derive from treading on nerve and muscle in their day to day lives. Like playing games against an AI, the victory is empty and there can be no real triumph. They'd go mad, their orgies would just become more and more extreme to compensate, like slavery in Rome becoming blase and the the only thing left to spice it up being sadism. Machines can't cry real tears.

Not yet anyway.

But back to Solms. The man wasn’t content to write a book outlining the minutiae of the FEM model. He winds down that book by laying out his ambition to put it to the test: to build, from FEM principles, an artificial consciousness.

Not an artificial intelligence, mind. Consciousness and intelligence are different properties; many things we’d not consider intelligent (including anencephalic humans) show signs of consciousness (not surprisingly, if consciousness is in fact rooted in the brain stem). Solms isn’t interested in building something that’s smart; he wants to build something that’s awake. And that means building something with needs, desires. A survival imperative.

Solms is working on building a machine that will fight to stay alive.

What could possibly go wrong?

https://www.rifters.com/crawl/?p=10225

Although I suspect it won't be the machine crying in the end.

Also, it would be awesome if the filthy rich built Elysium. One well-placed missile and problem solved.
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Postby drstrangelove » Thu May 12, 2022 8:02 pm

The problem with AI is you can't reduce the building blocks of consciousness to binary bits, which are effectively replicating atoms in an on or off state. I failed science, chemistry etc. but there's a context missing in the protons right? Isn't quantum computing and the qubit still binary?

I think AI is a reverse trend. Instead of bringing it to the standard of spectrum thought, human consciousness is being reduced to the confines of two value logic. If people think like computers than AI never needs to develop a soul, or ghost in the shell, so to speak. The regression will be seen as progression.
World is already full of knowledgeable people who don't understand anything. If you look at study techniques taught to college students, building intelligence had been reduced to memorisation and concentration. These kids are training themselves to compete with computers.
drstrangelove

Postby Harvey » Thu May 12, 2022 9:13 pm

^ Interesting.

I was thinking along similar lines in a more basic fashion about fifteen years ago. I tried to design a workable but realistic simulated 'AI' system, only on paper - no coding or math - for a game I was working on with some friends. The problem as I saw it, creating complex simulated behaviours in the game world, could be cracked by creating a stacked hierarchy of priorities/obligations deriving from needs/desires which replace each other in the hierarchy according to and arising out of the game context - with specific values weighted (using a slider for each variable) to create a range of different characteristics, behaviours and complexity and do it all procedurally.

A basic example, someone fires a gun in the game world. Any desire to find a cold drink, hot food, some shade or if male, to ogle the beautiful girl walking by would immediately be replaced by evaluation of and reaction to the new context.

The reaction might be: Duck > Was the shot fired at or near me > Yes - Find safety/cover > Is there continuing danger > Is it easy/safe/desirable to remove the source of the danger > Are others better placed/equipped/prepared > Does something else outweigh my need for safety > Am I selfish/bold/rash/cowardly/tired of life - and so on, depending upon other variables in the hierarchy.

The idea was to create characters capable of acting in complex ways independently, everything from affection to quarrel and requiring characters to perform basic functions like eat, drink, sleep, defecate, enjoy recreation or rest. If some or all of these things are denied by a particular context, this creates other weights upon the hierarchy, pushing different potential behaviours closer to the top of the stack. Once all the necessary motivations/actions are decided upon then animations and dialogues for each would be created, with considerable potential variability among those too. For another layer of complexity add in some random shifts in the hierarchy, operating within parameters set by procedurally established characteristics like race, culture, attractiveness, metabolism, education, body weight, body type, tolerances, interests. And so and so on. The system was much more elaborate, initially difficult and labour intensive to build but simple to use and endlessly scalable, I can't remember now. I've no idea whether it would have worked though it went down quite well with my colleagues.

Anway, it sounds intriguingly similar to the philosophy behind Solms inital inquiry.

Sorry for the derailment!
This he said to me
"The greatest thing
You'll ever learn
Is just to love
And be loved
In return"

Eden Ahbez
Harvey

Postby Harvey » Thu May 12, 2022 9:23 pm

drstrangelove » Fri May 13, 2022 1:02 am wrote:The problem with AI is you can't reduce the building blocks of consciousness to binary bits, which are effectively replicating atoms in an on or off state. I failed science, chemistry etc. but there's a context missing in the protons right? Isn't quantum computing and the qubit still binary?

I think AI is a reverse trend. Instead of bringing it to the standard of spectrum thought, human consciousness is being reduced to the confines of two value logic. If people think like computers than AI never needs to develop a soul, or ghost in the shell, so to speak. The regression will be seen as progression.
World is already full of knowledgeable people who don't understand anything. If you look at study techniques taught to college students, building intelligence had been reduced to memorisation and concentration. These kids are training themselves to compete with computers.

Agreed. I suspect the key might be in designing stable self organising systems, necessarily from the quantum level upward. Ontologically, the universe will do all the heavy lifting after that because any such system, self similar over time, will learn to sense and exploit time pretty much as I suspect life already does, receiving information from the cloud of probabilities at the quantum level and organising toward favourable potential outcomes as yet unknown to it. Intuition, if you like. :shrug:
This he said to me
"The greatest thing
You'll ever learn
Is just to love
And be loved
In return"

Eden Ahbez
Harvey

Postby 8bitagent » Fri May 13, 2022 5:20 am

Geezus. Had no idea about that. The other day(for a brief second), as everyone was arguing about celebrity show trials and gender pronouns, it came out the US government with (surprise surprise) the Catholic Church between 1816 and 1969 had enslaved thousands of indigenous Native Americans into "boarding schools" where thousands had died and suffered unspeakable horrors and abuse. Sadly both the modern left and right have their head so far up their ass they can't see how this is a sinking country that perhaps deserves whatever dark fate is in store in the coming decades
"Do you know who I am? I am the arm, and I sound like this..."-man from another place, twin peaks fire walk with me
8bitagent

Postby 8bitagent » Fri May 13, 2022 5:28 am

America near the Summer of 2022...gas is $5 a gallon in most states, near $7 in parts of California...inflation is the highest in 40 years. Most moms can't find baby formula in most stores, violent crime is nearing 1980s/early 1990s levels, generations of poor and working class families are being kicked out due to insane housing rates...yet fucking Biden and the neocon Republicans/Democrats and even the "Bernie/AOC" "left" approve 40 billion dollars for Ukraine this week on top of the 15 billion for Ukraine last week as well as all the pushing toward World War 3 with a nuclear power. Even with the goofy game show President, it didn't feel like we were on the edge of the abyss.
"Do you know who I am? I am the arm, and I sound like this..."-man from another place, twin peaks fire walk with me
8bitagent

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Fri May 13, 2022 9:42 pm

drstrangelove » 13 May 2022 10:02 wrote:The problem with AI is you can't reduce the building blocks of consciousness to binary bits, which are effectively replicating atoms in an on or off state. I failed science, chemistry etc. but there's a context missing in the protons right? Isn't quantum computing and the qubit still binary?

Hormones regulate consciousness as much as neurons do and are much more fundamentally connected to survival imperatives than neurons are. You might process information about a threat with your nervous system but your reaction to it - the survival response, usually fight or flight, is a result of hormonal activity in response to that threat.

How are you gonna replace that in an electronic network? Its dependent on the flow of liquid to maintain its functionality for a start.

None of the wankery about AI takes any account of the endocrine system and hormonal reactions in consciousness.
Joe Hillshoist

Postby DrEvil » Sat May 14, 2022 6:28 pm

^^Not strictly true. People have at least considered it. Not sure if it's being used today; both articles are a few years old:

Why robot that gets 'tired and hormonal' is a good thing
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-34407073

Scientists believe they’ve nailed the combination that could help robots feel love
https://qz.com/838420/scientists-built- ... it-or-not/
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion