Russian-Ukrainian War: Live Thread

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Russian-Ukrainian War: Live Thread

Postby drstrangelove » Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:39 am

Sweden Finland are requesting to join NATO. Tensions rising in Asia pacific over potential Chinese military base on Solomon islands. Wars have been fought on highly controlled gentlemen agreements before, MAD may not be all we thought it was cracked out to be. Nothings off the table. Specially when nations are looking to cull population levels heading into an automation era with massive amounts of surplus nerve and muscle.

The idea of a draft in western nations with woke culture is hilarious. In fact, a positive aspect of woke culture is the amount of loopholes it affords people to get out of ‘responsibilities’ to the state.
drstrangelove

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby drstrangelove » Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:44 am

Ohh and the planets just aligned. Oligarch superstition and blood sacrifice etc.
drstrangelove

Postby alloneword » Sun May 01, 2022 5:56 am

Interesting interview with Jacque Baud (mentioned upthread).
alloneword

Postby drstrangelove » Wed May 04, 2022 9:43 am

CNN and Reuters hyping may 9th. For some reason I believe them. If the fed doesn’t hike interest rates today and the markets turn green for a few days then I’ll be convinced. Natural gas prices are ummm yeah, up there at the moment.
drstrangelove

Postby drstrangelove » Thu May 05, 2022 1:10 am

Russian ally Belarus launches military quick-response drills
The Belarusian military has launched large-scale drills to test the readiness of its armed forces to respond quickly to “possible crises” and counter threats from the air and ground, the country’s Defense Ministry said early Wednesday.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/20 ... s-ukraine/

Kremlin dismisses speculation Putin to declare war on Ukraine on May 9
The Kremlin on Wednesday dismissed speculation that President Vladimir Putin planned to declare war against Ukraine and declare a national mobilisation on May 9 when Russia commemorates the Soviet Union's victory in World War Two.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/kr ... 022-05-04/

Ukraine war: EU plans Russian oil ban and war crimes sanctions
European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen said the package was aimed at maximising pressure on Russia while minimising damage to Europe.

Russian crude oil would be phased out within six months, she said.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-61318689

Natural Gas Prices Soar
Natural gas prices jumped 9% yesterday to the highest level since 2008.

https://www.investopedia.com/natural-ga ... ar-5270930

:whisper:
drstrangelove

Postby drstrangelove » Thu May 05, 2022 5:45 am

The AP Interview: Belarus admits Russia’s war ‘drags on’
elarus’ authoritarian leader said that he didn’t expect Russia’s “operation” in Ukraine to drag on for so long and claimed he was doing “everything” to stop the war, in a sit-down interview with The Associated Press on Thursday.

President Alexander Lukashenko defended Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, which began on Feb. 24. However, he said he didn’t think it would “drag on this way.”

“But I am not immersed in this problem enough to say whether it goes according to plan, like the Russians say, or like I feel it. I want to stress one more time, I feel like this operation has dragged on,” Lukashenko said during the nearly 90-minute interview at the Independence Palace in Minsk.

https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukrai ... 3705684b7f
drstrangelove

Postby drstrangelove » Fri May 06, 2022 8:41 am

Canadian sniper in Ukraine returns home: The war is terribly disappointing (lp.ca)

Two months after answering President Volodymyr Zelensky's call, sniper Wali is back in Quebec - unharmed, though he almost died "several times. But most foreign fighters who went to Ukraine like him came back bitterly disappointed, mired in the fog of war without having even been to the front once.
"I'm lucky to be alive, it was really close," said the former Royal 22e Régiment soldier, in an interview with La Presse at his home in the greater Montreal area.
His last mission in the Donbass region, as part of a Ukrainian unit supporting conscript soldiers, hastened his return in a way. In the early morning hours, when he had just taken up position near a trench exposed to Russian tank fire, two of the conscripts came out of their cover to smoke a cigarette. "I told them not to expose themselves like that, but they didn't listen to me," says Wali. Then a "very accurate" shell from a Russian tank exploded next to them. The scene described by the sniper is bloodcurdling. "It exploded solid. I saw the shrapnel go by like lasers. My body tensed up. I couldn't hear anything, my head hurt right away. It was really violent.
He immediately realized there was nothing he could do for his two Ukrainian brothers-in-arms who had been hit hard. "It smelled like death, it's hard to describe; it's a macabre smell of charred flesh, sulfur and chemicals. It's so inhuman, that smell."
His spouse, who wishes to remain anonymous, says he called her in the middle of the night about an hour later. "He was trying to explain to me that there had been two deaths. He was telling me, 'I think I've done enough, right? I've done enough?" It was like he wanted me to tell him to come back," she confides. He was awfully quiet."
Ultimately, it was her family life that outweighed her desire to help the Ukrainians, Wali says. "My heart wants to go back to the front. I still have the fire. I love the theater of operations. But I pushed my luck. I have no injuries. I say to myself: how far can I roll the dice? I don't want to lose what I have here," says the young father, who missed his son's first birthday while at the front.
After spending two months in Ukraine, Wali's assessment of the deployment of Western volunteer fighters, which began in early March following a call from President Volodymyr Zelensky, is "rather disappointing. The number of volunteers who came forward - more than 20,000, according to various estimates - was so large that the Ukrainian government had to urgently create the International Legion for the Territorial Defense of Ukraine on March 6.
But for most of the volunteers who showed up at the border, joining a military unit was a hassle.
Zelensky made an appeal to all, but on the ground, the officers were completely helpless. They didn't know what to do with us.
He and several other ex-Canadian soldiers initially preferred to join the Normandy Brigade, a private volunteer unit based for several months in Ukraine, led by a former Quebec soldier whose nom de guerre is Hrulf.
Dissension quickly set in among the troops and a large number of fighters deserted the Normandy Brigade.
Three people who requested anonymity described to La Presse promises of weapons and protective equipment made by the leader of the Normandy Brigade that never materialized. Some of the volunteers found themselves some 40 kilometers from the Russian front without any protective gear. "If there had been a Russian breakthrough, everyone would have been at risk. It was an irresponsible attitude on the part of the Brigade," says one of its former soldiers, who asked that his name be withheld for security reasons.
The commander of the Normandy Brigade, who also asked us to withhold his real name for security reasons, confirms that he has been abandoned by about 60 fighters since the beginning of the conflict. Many of them wanted to sign a contract that would have given them status under the Geneva Conventions, as well as guarantees that they would be cared for by the Ukrainian state if they were injured. Hrulf claims that some even "conned" him out of a $500,000 shipment of weapons provided by Americans to create their own combat unit.
"There were guys who were in a hurry to go to the front without even being screened. The Ukrainians tested us, and only now are we starting to get more missions. There is an element of trust that needs to be built up, and that is quite normal," says Hrulf. A "terrible disappointment"
"Many volunteer soldiers expect it to be turnkey, but the war is the opposite, it's a terrible disappointment," says Wali.
With another Quebec infantryman nicknamed Shadow, the Quebec sniper finally joined a Ukrainian unit fighting in the Kyiv region.
But again, finding a firearm to fight with was a Kafkaesque exercise. "You had to know someone who knew someone who told you that in such and such an old barber shop, they would provide you with an AK-47. You had to cobble together a soldier's kit like that by picking up bits and pieces of ammunition left and right, in many cases with weapons in varying degrees of condition," he recounts.
Even for meals, civilians often provide them. It's the same for gasoline to get around in a vehicle. You constantly have to organize yourself, to know someone who knows someone.
After a few weeks on Ukrainian territory, some of the more experienced Western soldiers were eventually recruited by the Ukrainian Military Intelligence Directorate, and are now reportedly involved in special operations behind enemy lines, according to one of them.
Others, less experienced, are "jumping from one Airbnb to another" while waiting to be recruited by a unit that will take them to the front lines, Wali says.
The majority, however, have decided to return home, say several people interviewed for this article. "Many arrive in Ukraine with their chests puffed out, but leave with their tails between their legs," Wali said.
In the end, he himself says he only fired two bullets into windows "to scare people" and never really came within range of the enemy. "It's a machine war," where "extremely brave" Ukrainian soldiers take very heavy casualties from shells, but "miss a lot of opportunities" to weaken the enemy because they lack technical military knowledge, he summarizes. "If the Ukrainians had the procedures we had in Afghanistan for communicating with artillery, we could have made a killing," he believes.
But Wali doesn't hide his desire to go back anyway. "You never know when foreign fighters will make a difference on the ground. It's like a fire extinguisher: it's useless until the fire catches.

https://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/2022 ... rrible.php

Translated by some anon poster, probs used google.
drstrangelove

Postby drstrangelove » Mon May 09, 2022 2:21 am

Russia said to pull troops from Syria to bolster forces in Ukraine
According to the Friday report in the independent, Dutch-based paper, several military units have been relocated from bases across the country to three unnamed Mediterranean airports, from where they will be transferred to Ukraine.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/russia-sa ... n-ukraine/
drstrangelove

Postby drstrangelove » Tue May 10, 2022 8:40 pm

Found this on the front page, albeit an aside, on one of Australia's main mastheads.

Ukraine war’s reality: Russia has seized much of the country’s east
Russia’s nearly three-month-old invasion of neighbouring Ukraine has been punctuated by flawed planning, poor intelligence, barbarity and wanton destruction. But obscured in the daily fighting is the geographic reality that Russia has made gains on the ground.

https://www.theage.com.au/world/europe/ ... 5akam.html

This is good news, first sign of a reality check in at least an obscure corner of Western media. Still, the 'democratic' nations desperately need the Ukraine war to escalate to detract from the escalating austerity, just as they need Chinese lockdowns to hold up the banner of human rights once more. The US and EU just increased lend-lease financing by about $50 billion - I think it was. The entire Ukraine government is running on the fumes of western debt. The 9th came and went, but give it a week before the escalation hunch becomes chicken little.
drstrangelove

Postby drstrangelove » Thu May 12, 2022 7:19 pm

Ruble Surpasses Brazil’s Real as Year’s Best-Performing Currency
Capital controls imposed by Russia have turned the ruble into the world’s best performing currency this year, though not many people can pocket a profit on the rally.

- https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... t-currency

The ruble is rubble.
drstrangelove

Postby MacCruiskeen » Sun May 15, 2022 5:22 pm

What a difference three years makes.

@mtracey 20 hrs ago

Here's how the New York Times described a symbol on the jacket of Brenton Tarrant, the New Zealand mosque shooter, in 2019. The Buffalo shooter unequivocally cites Tarrant as his primary inspiration. How do you think the New York Times would handle the issue today?

Thread: https://twitter.com/mtracey/status/1525637240831062020
"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby Grizzly » Tue May 17, 2022 3:06 pm

“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Postby Luther Blissett » Wed May 18, 2022 3:01 pm

Man, today’s episode of The Daily is immensely dense given its popularity with liberals and moderates over its apologizing for the Azov Battalion. Not that I would expect less but this just means more normals are going to accept future incursions of Azov sympathizers into their own everyday lives.
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Wed May 18, 2022 11:26 pm

Those Azov cunts love Brenton Tarrant too. He was considered a hero by them.
Joe Hillshoist

Postby conniption » Thu May 19, 2022 8:22 pm

9th comment at MoA's Ukraine Open Thread - https://www.moonofalabama.org/2022/05/u ... 22-69.html

Do you suppose it's the real Gonzalo Lira taking part?

Re. Scott Ritter:

He's a smart man, and very knowledgeable. But the consistency of his judgment leaves quite a bit to be desired. Not his judgment--the consistency of his judgment. I have noticed how his originally sober and very accurate judgment on different matters tends to become hysterical and fanciful after a few days without solid information or change in status.

When new information emerges, it's perfectly fine to change your mind. But when no new information has emerged, chill out and hold your nerve. Don't go off the handlebar and make a fool of yourself.

That's what I think. GL

Posted by: Gonzalo Lira | May 19 2022 14:00 utc | 9
Last edited by conniption on Fri May 20, 2022 6:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
conniption

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion