Quote Only Thread

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Quote Only Thread

Postby Rigorous Intuition » Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:00 pm

"Which is harder: to be executed, or to suffer the prolonged agony which consists in being trampled to death by geese?" - Kierkegaard <p></p><i></i>
Rigorous Intuition

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby chiggerbit » Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:29 pm

“The British Government has learned that Saddam Hussein recently sought significant quantities of uranium from Africa .” <br><br>President George W. Bush <br>Jan. 28, 2003 State of the Union Address<br><br> <p></p><i></i>
chiggerbit

Postby Moddey Screbbagh » Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:30 pm

Balzac:<br><br>"Le secret des grandes fortunes sans cause apparente est un crime<br>oublié, parce qu' il a été proprement fait." (from Père Goriot)<br><br>Usually paraphrased, in English: "Behind all great fortunes lies a crime." <p></p><i></i>
Moddey Screbbagh

Postby chiggerbit » Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:35 pm

"I've been choking on something for weeks. Lets get it, up and get it out, for what it's worth. After the attack on Pearl Harbor, Winston Churchill said that the American people, he said the American people he said, and this is a direct quote, "We didn't come this this far because we are made of sugar candy." That was his response to the attack on Pearl Harbor. That we didn't come this far because we are made of sugar candy. And that reminder was taken seriously and we proceeded to develop and deliver the bomb even though roughly 150,000 men, women and children perished in Hiroshima and Nagasaki.<br><br>With a single blow, World War II was over. NewYork'ss September 11 Pearl Harbor, Winston Churchill was not here to remind us that we didn't come this far because we are made of sugar candy. So following the New York disaster we mustered our humanity, we gave old pals a pass even though men and money from Saudi Arabia were largely responsible for the devastation of New York and Pennsylvania and our Pentagon. We called Saudi Arabia our partners against terrorism and we sent men with rifles into Afghanistan and Iraq and we kept our best weapons in their silos. Even now, we're standing there dying, daring to do nothing decisive because we've declared ourselves to be better than our terrorist enemies, more moral, more civilized. Our image is at stake, we insist.<br><br>But we didn't come this far because we are made of sugar candy. Once upon a time we uh, elbowed our way onto and into this continent by giving smallpox infected blankets to Native Americans. Yes, that was biological warfare. And we used every other weapon we could get our hands on to grab this land from whomever and we grew prosperous. And yes, we greased the skids with the sweat of slaves.<br><br>And so it goes with most great nation-states, which feeling guilty about their savage pasts, eventually civilize themselves out of business and wind up invaded and ultimately dominated by the lean, hungry, up and coming who are not made of sugar candy.<br><br>Paul Harvey - Good Day!"<br><br>June 23, 2005 <p></p><i></i>
chiggerbit

Postby Rigorous Intuition » Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:37 pm

Guy de Maupassant, <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>The Diary of a Madman</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END-->: <br><br>5th August. I, who have passed my life in judging, condemning, killing by the spoken word, killing by the guillotine those who had killed by the knife, I, I, if I should do as all the assassins have done whom I have smitten, I--I--who would know it?<br><br>l0th August. Who would ever know? Who would ever suspect me, me, me, especially if I should choose a being I had no interest in doing away with?<br><br>...<br><br>30th August. It is done. But what a little thing! I had gone for a walk in the forest of Vernes. I was thinking of nothing, literally nothing. A child was in the road, a little child eating a slice of bread and butter.<br><br>He stops to see me pass and says, "Good-day, Mr. President."<br><br>And the thought enters my head, "Shall I kill him?"<br><br>I answer: "You are alone, my boy?"<br><br>"Yes, sir."<br><br>"All alone in the wood?"<br><br>"Yes, sir." <p></p><i></i>
Rigorous Intuition

Postby Sweejak » Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:37 pm

<!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://homepage.mac.com/kaaawa/iblog/C337802379/index.html">homepage.mac.com/kaaawa/i...index.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> <p></p><i></i>
Sweejak

Postby chiggerbit » Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:44 pm

"There was a popular coup that overthrew him [Chavez]. And what did the United States State Department do about it? Virtually nothing. And as a result, within about 48 hours that coup was broken; Chavez was back in power, but we had a chance to move in. He has destroyed the Venezuelan economy, and he's going to make that a launching pad for communist infiltration and Muslim extremism all over the continent. <br><br>You know, I don't know about this doctrine of assassination, but if he thinks we're trying to assassinate him, I think that we really ought to go ahead and do it. It's a whole lot cheaper than starting a war. And I don't think any oil shipments will stop. But this man is a terrific danger and the United ... This is in our sphere of influence, so we can't let this happen. We have the Monroe Doctrine, we have other doctrines that we have announced. And without question, this is a dangerous enemy to our south, controlling a huge pool of oil, that could hurt us very badly. We have the ability to take him out, and I think the time has come that we exercise that ability. We don't need another $200 billion war to get rid of one, you know, strong-arm dictator. It's a whole lot easier to have some of the covert operatives do the job and then get it over with."<br><br>Pat Robertson on his 700 Club<br>August 22, 2005<br><br> <p></p><i></i>
chiggerbit

Postby Jill Burdigala » Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:06 am

...one of these <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>Rattle-Snakes</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> once thro' the mouth of a Man, on whom he had Seized, hissed out such a truth as this, <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>If God would let me loose upon you, I should find enough in the Best of you all, to make you all mine</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END-->.<br><br>--Cotton Mather, <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>Wonders of the Invisible World</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--><br><br> <p></p><i></i>
Jill Burdigala

Postby chiggerbit » Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:35 am

"I am determined not to live until I have no country."<br><br>Metacom, also known as King Philip, in the first bloody war between whites and Indians in New England.<br>1675 <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p216.ezboard.com/brigorousintuition.showUserPublicProfile?gid=chiggerbit@rigorousintuition>chiggerbit</A> at: 9/2/06 10:50 pm<br></i>
chiggerbit

Postby chiggerbit » Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:45 am

"So tractable, so peaceable, are these people that I swear to your Majesties there is not in the world a better nation. They love their neighbors as themselves, and their discourse is ever sweet and gentle, and accompanied with a smile; and though it is true that they are naked, yet their manners are decorous and praiseworthy." <br><br>Christopher Columbus<br><br><br><br>"In the name of the Holy Trinity, we can send from here all the slaves and brazil wood which could be sold." <br> <br>Christopher Columbus, 1496, in a letter to King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella <br><br><br><br><br> "...I wished I had never started. But to tell you the end of it, I seized a rope and beat her well. She cried out in such a way that you would not believe it! Finally we reached an agreement...."<br><br>Michele de Cuneo, regarding the gift of a Taino girl (possibly 9 or 10) from Columbus that de Cuneo described as"...most beautiful", who at first resisted his advances.<br><br><br> <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p216.ezboard.com/brigorousintuition.showUserPublicProfile?gid=chiggerbit@rigorousintuition>chiggerbit</A> at: 9/2/06 10:49 pm<br></i>
chiggerbit

Postby Sweejak » Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:01 am

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Savages we call them, because their Manners differ from ours, which we think the Perfection of Civility; they think the same of theirs.<br><br>Perhaps, if we could examine the Manners of different nations with Impartiality, we should find no People so rude, as to be without any Rules of Politeness; nor any so polite, as not to have some Remains of Rudeness.<br><br>The Indian men, when young, are Hunters and Warriors; when old, Counsellors; for all their Government is by Counsel of the Sages; there is no Force, there are no Prisons, no Officers to compel Obedience, or inflict Punishment. Hence they generally study Oratory, the best Speaker having the most Influence.... Ben Franklin<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://tinyurl.com/l9zvc">tinyurl.com/l9zvc</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br> <p></p><i></i>
Sweejak

Billy Graham

Postby Gouda » Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:48 am

"Only when Christ comes again will the little white children of Alabama walk hand in hand with little black children." <br><br>--<!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>Billy Graham</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END-->, commenting after the 1963 March on Washington <br><br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14204483/site/newsweek/page/2/">www.msnbc.msn.com/id/1420...ek/page/2/</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p216.ezboard.com/brigorousintuition.showUserPublicProfile?gid=gouda@rigorousintuition>Gouda</A> at: 9/3/06 9:51 am<br></i>
Gouda

Postby Seamus OBlimey » Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:25 pm

"Common sense is what tells us the earth is flat"<br><br>Can't find a source for this, can anyone?<br>I'm sure I didn't make it up. <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p216.ezboard.com/brigorousintuition.showUserPublicProfile?gid=seamusoblimey>Seamus OBlimey</A> at: 9/4/06 2:31 pm<br></i>
Seamus OBlimey

Re: Re: Quote Only Thread

Postby johnny nemo » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:43 pm

"Our government has kept us in a perpetual state of fear - kept us in a continuous stampede of patriotic fervour - with the cry of grave national emergency.<br>Always there has been some terrible evil at home or some monstrous foreign power that was going to gobble us up if we did not blindly rally behind it...." <br><br>- General Douglas McArthur, 1957 <p></p><i></i>
johnny nemo

Re: Re: Quote Only Thread

Postby Sweejak » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:34 pm

In a dark corner of the great sea of knowledge,<br>Some will warn against the beast,<br>Their travails will be many,<br>And in the end they just get bored and bugger off to Montana.<br>-- Unknown <p></p><i></i>
Sweejak

PreviousNext

Return to L'Encyclopedie