Quote Only Thread

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Quote Only Thread

Postby Sounder » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:45 pm

",,,truth is loved in such a way that those who love some other thing want it to be the truth, and, precisely because they do not wish to be deceived, are unwilling to be convinced that they are deceived."

St. Augustine, Confessions (10:23), Fifth Century
Sounder

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby chump » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:31 pm

‘Well, if you say, ‘Who gets fired?”, it always has to be the top. I mean these problems always start from the top, and they have to get solved from the top, and the President’s the leader, and he’s got to get everybody in a room and he’s got to lead, and he doesn’t do that. He doesn’t like doing that. That’s not a strength, and that’s why you have this horrible situation going on in Washington - very, very bad thing, and it’s very embarrassing worldwide.”

- Donald Trump, 9/20/2013
chump

Postby Cordelia » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:29 am

“The upper crust is just a bunch of crumbs stuck together with their own dough.”

Fibber McGee and Molly Radio Show.
The greatest sin is to be unconscious. ~ Carl Jung

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

Postby Cordelia » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:52 am

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.
~George Santayana~

Familiarity breeds contempt.
~Geoffrey Chaucer~

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

Postby seemslikeadream » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:29 am

The FBI was better off when “you all only hired Irishmen,” Sessions said in one diatribe about the bureau’s workforce. “They were drunks but they could be trusted. Not like all those new people with nose rings and tattoos — who knows what they’re doing?”
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby MacCruiskeen » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:02 pm

"Thick people are good at winning arguments, because they're too thick to realise they've lost"

- from Jam, episode 1 (author: Chris Morris).
"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby Belligerent Savant » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:22 pm

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/12/maga ... s-dio.html

[...]

I was on the freeway when, out of the blue, there was Dio: Black Sabbath’s “Heaven and Hell” crashing through a bright afternoon:

They say that life’s a carousel
Spinning fast, you’ve got to ride it well
The world is full of kings and queens
Who blind your eyes and steal your dreams
It’s heaven and hell, oh well
And they’ll tell you black is really white
The moon is just the sun at night
And when you walk in golden halls
You get to keep the gold that falls
It’s heaven and hell, oh, no. Fool, fool

For once, I was broke and I was laughing. How could I listen to a song so many times and only now really hear it? All along, Dio was saying what a fool’s game it is to measure your value on the standards of a society that was never meant for you. Gold is never free, and to get it, you’ve got to bow before a master. “God and the devil are inherent in each of us, and it’s our choice to make,” Dio said in one interview, late in life. “The optimum way to go is to do the good thing.”

I think he wanted to leave this as his legacy: a reminder that home is a place inside your own mind. There will always be new wizards to follow, new rings to kiss. But there, too, will always be rejects and castaways. And there’s victory in the realization that there will always be more of us than there are of them. That in our anger, together we are all home.

- Leah Sottile

Belligerent Savant

Postby chump » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:51 pm

https://youtu.be/HV_kxc9PxrQ

I wanted (children) to know that I could use the computer, but that I could also turn it off.  It takes a strong person to be able to turn off the computer.
chump

Postby Cordelia » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:11 am

"Look at the tyranny of party -- at what is called party allegiance, party loyalty -- a snare invented by designing men for selfish purposes -- and which turns voters into chattles, slaves, rabbits, and all the while their masters, and they themselves are shouting rubbish about liberty, independence, freedom of opinion, freedom of speech, honestly unconscious of the fantastic contradiction; and forgetting or ignoring that their fathers and the churches shouted the same blasphemies a generation earlier when they were closing their doors against the hunted slave, beating his handful of humane defenders with Bible texts and billies, and pocketing the insults and licking the shoes of his Southern master."

~Mark Twain~
The Character of Man

Cordelia

Postby Cordelia » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:36 pm

From 2012, in the United States alone....

"You might think that “every 12 seconds” refers to the frequency with which we kill animals, but in a moment you’ll realize that that’s impossible: we process more than nine billion animals each year — hundreds per second. No, 12 seconds is the frequency with which the Omaha slaughterhouse where Pachirat worked for five months killed cattle, a total of around 2,500 per day."

-- Mark Bittman, American author, food journalist, columnist --

https://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2 ... suffering/

Cordelia

Postby Cordelia » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:48 am

"Composition means, literally and simply, putting several things together, so as to make one thing out of them; the nature and goodness of which they all have a share in producing."

~ John Ruskin ~ Letter Three; Elements of Drawing

“What I know is, you have a better chance in life--of surviving it--if you tolerate loss well; manage not to be a cynic through it all; to subjugate, as Ruskin implied, to keep proportion, to connect the unequal things into a whole that preserves the good, even if the good is not simple to find. We try, as my sister said. We try. All of us. We try.”

~ Richard Ford ~ Canada

Cordelia

Postby Cordelia » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:38 am

“He is a Bird of bad moral Character. He does not get his Living honestly. You may have seen him perched on some dead Tree near the River, where, too lazy to fish for himself, he watches the Labour of the Fishing Hawk; and when that diligent Bird has at length taken a Fish, and is bearing it to his Nest for the Support of his Mate and young Ones, the Bald Eagle pursues him and takes it from him.

With all this injustice, he is never in good case but like those among men who live by sharping & robbing he is generally poor and often very lousy. Besides he is a rank coward..."

- Benjamin Franklin, describing the new, American Colonial Ruler Bald Eagle.

Cordelia

Postby seemslikeadream » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:39 am

Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby chump » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:16 pm

I don’t know if I’ve learned anything yet! I did learn how to have a happy home, but I consider myself fortunate in that regard because I could’ve rolled right by it. Everybody has a superficial side and a deep side, but this culture doesn’t place much value on depth — we don’t have shamans or soothsayers, and depth isn’t encouraged or understood. Surrounded by this shallow, glossy society we develop a shallow side, too, and we become attracted to fluff. That’s reflected in the fact that this culture sets up an addiction to romance based on insecurity — the uncertainty of whether or not you’re truly united with the object of your obsession is the rush people get hooked on. I’ve seen this pattern so much in myself and my friends and some people never get off that line.

But along with developing my superficial side, I always nurtured a deeper longing, so even when I was falling into the trap of that other kind of love, I was hip to what I was doing. I recently read an article in Esquire magazine called ‘The End of Sex,’ that said something that struck me as very true. It said: “If you want endless repetition, see a lot of different people. If you want infinite variety, stay with one.” What happens when you date is you run all your best moves and tell all your best stories — and in a way, that routine is a method for falling in love with yourself over and over.

You can’t do that with a longtime mate because he knows all that old material. With a long relationship, things die then are rekindled, and that shared process of rebirth deepens the love. It’s hard work, though, and a lot of people run at the first sign of trouble. You’re with this person, and suddenly you look like an asshole to them or they look like an asshole to you — it’s unpleasant, but if you can get through it you get closer and you learn a way of loving that’s different from the neurotic love enshrined in movies. It’s warmer and has more padding to it.

Joni Mitchell
chump

PreviousNext

Return to L'Encyclopedie