25%
Several Years Ago
67%
Uncertain
8%

Total votes : 12

Re: Didn’t Jack Palance Already Die?

Postby norton ash » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:23 pm

Longevity is a curse... just back from the grocery store where I watched an (estimated) 75 year old woman helping her (presumed) 95 year old mother do the shopping. Jaysus. (I had to pull my sidearm to get them the fuck out of the way of the Captain Crunch.)
Zen horse
norton ash

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby zangtang » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:08 pm

just so long as they don't turn on the waterworks - then you gotta slap 'em about,
zangtang

Postby TheDuke » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:14 am

Brian Dennehy, was sure he died. Maybe he just looks like it.

Btw the Berenst#in Bears problem is experiencing a resurgence at the moment:

http://www.dailygrail.com/Forteana/2015 ... -Realities
TheDuke

Postby Twyla LaSarc » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:49 pm

82_28 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:28 am wrote:Bill Cosby: I'm alive. Now, please cut it out

Bill Cosby is used to winking at internet rumors of his death. But after another one spread Monday, he said he hopes people will give the hoaxes a rest.

After false news of Cosby’s death spread by Twitter on Monday - "Bill Cosby died" was a trending topic on the microblogging service - the 73-year-old comedian talked to CNN's "Larry King Live" to prove he still is around.

"I don't want [whoever spread the rumor] to do this anymore, because this is my fourth time being reported [dead]," Cosby said by phone to CNN’s Kyra Phillips, who was sitting in for Larry King on Monday night.

Cosby used his wit to counter previous rumors. After the first, he borrowed a Mark Twain quote about reports of his death being an exaggeration.

But Cosby said Monday's rumor felt different. He said it left one of his friends in tears before he realized it wasn’t true.

"I don't know. Maybe a psychiatrist will say I'm feeding [the rumor starter's] ego, but I just want to say to friends of that person: Just tell him to stop, because it isn't funny."

On his own Twitter account, Cosby still went for a bit of humor Monday when refuting the rumor.

"Again, I'm rebuttaling rumors about my demise. But, I'm confirming I have an app," Cosby wrote before linking to an iPhone application featuring clips of the comedian's performances.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/08/02/bi ... ut/?hpt=C1

I bet he (and his heirs) wishes he had died then, all the recent shit that has come to light would have been posthumous and safe to be recorded and dismissed as the product of an earlier era. Ted Heath, anyone?
“The Radium Water Worked Fine until His Jaw Came Off”
Twyla LaSarc

Postby RocketMan » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:48 pm

http://deadline.com/2015/11/kirk-dougla ... 201629542/

Kirk Douglas, still truckin' at 98 years of age. Holy moley.
-I don't like hoodlums.
-That's just a word, Marlowe. We have that kind of world. Two wars gave it to us and we are going to keep it.
RocketMan

Postby Schmazo » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:09 am

This Jack Palance post had been on my mind for a while, when a few nights ago 'Oh, Brother Where Art Thou' came on TV. This got me to thinking about lively bluegrass artist Ralph Stanley and I thought for sure I had heard that he had passed on few years ago and sung his last O Death song:
[youtubehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xmRWj7gJEU][/youtube]

Evidently, I was wrong. According to Wikipedia, Ralph Stanley is still alive and kicking, and perhaps still hooting and hollering. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ralph_Stanley

I'm not sure why I thought he was gone. Perhaps I confused him with Johnny Cash.

Anyhow, with this Palance thread still fresh in my mind, today while working I hoisted a heavy gas stove into a house that had some interesting license tags tacked to the outside shed:

[img]
Bellevue%20tags.jpg
[/img]

I complimented our client on her small Idaho tag collection and mentioned that another plate enthusiast, John Davies had featured a larger one down at the Bellevue museum just a few blocks away:

http://magicvalley.com/lifestyles/peopl ... 4d0d1.html

Then I said that he's no longer around here anymore (he died) but our client said no, she had just seen him last week, up in Ketchum, and although he had been at death's door for a long while he is still around.

This puzzled me and I remarked to her that I am glad he's still around.

Even though it's a small community I live in I hadn't seen him for years - the last time being in church - where he was on an oxygen tank and looking unwell.

When I returned home after the job I felt compelled to look up his name in the local newspaper and saw what I remembered reading last summer:
http://www.mtexpress.com/obituaries/joh ... be773.html

- Which brought me back to this thread. How in the world could the client that I worked for today, who seemed like a strong and steady person have seen John Davies last week, when his obituary was in the newspaper over six months ago?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Schmazo

Postby 82_28 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:51 am

Yeah. That's weird. I get all the time that "I saw you" at such and such today and I reply that I hadn't been in the area in months and that I must have a doppelgänger.

Like last month I saw some dude I thought I knew at the grocery store -- looked exactly like him. So I went up to him and said something like "what the fuck brother, how you doing?". . .

He freaked out a bit because I reached out to shake his hand. He said, "I don't know you". I was like holy shit, you look exactly like an ex-coworker of mine. Sorry, but hello anyway. . .
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby elfismiles » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:04 am

Schmazo » 07 Jan 2016 05:09 wrote:
- Which brought me back to this thread. How in the world could the client that I worked for today, who seemed like a strong and steady person have seen John Davies last week, when his obituary was in the newspaper over six months ago?

I've increasingly noticed, as I and my friends/family age, that "just the other day" can equate to months and years ago...

:starz:
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Re: Didn’t Abe Vigoda Already Die?

Postby Burnt Hill » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:56 pm

Godfather,’ ‘Barney Miller’ actor Abe Vigoda dies at 94 ( for the third? time...)

http://chicago.suntimes.com/entertainment/post/godfather-barney-miller-actor-abe-vigoda-dies-94/

Character actor Abe Vigoda, whose leathery, sad-eyed face made him ideal for playing the over-the-hill detective Phil Fish in the 1970s TV series “Barney Miller” and the doomed Mafia soldier in “The Godfather,” died Tuesday at age 94.

His daughter, Carol Vigoda Fuchs, told the Associated Press that Mr. Vigoda died Tuesday morning in his sleep at Fuchs’ home in Woodland Park, New Jersey. The cause of death was old age. “This man was never sick,” Fuchs said.

His death brought to an end years of questions on whether he was still alive — sparked by a false report of his death more than three decades ago. Though Mr. Vigoda took it in stride, the question of whether he was dead or alive became something of a running joke: There was even a website devoted to answering the much-Googled question, “Is Abe Vigoda dead?” (On Tuesday, it had been updated with “Yes,” with the date of his death.)
Burnt Hill

Postby RocketMan » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:20 pm

And now... DORIS DAY?? \<]

Looks like she's somewhat taken aback herself. :bigsmile

http://www.nme.com/news/film/doris-day- ... ium=social

Doris Day has discovered that she is actually 95 – two years older than she thought she was.

The retired actress – who starred in the likes of Pillow Talk (which earned her an Academy Award nomination), That Touch of Mink and Move Over, Darling – celebrates her 95th birthday today (April 3), but had thought prior to this weekend that she would be turning 93 this year.

However, Day – who was born Doris Mary Ann Kappelhoff – was actually born on 3 April 1922, a date proven by a newly-surfaced birth certificate from Ohio’s Office of Vital Statistics.
-I don't like hoodlums.
-That's just a word, Marlowe. We have that kind of world. Two wars gave it to us and we are going to keep it.
RocketMan

Postby norton ash » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:24 pm

^^^
Canada proposed via petition for a referendum to demand that right-wing politician Stockwell Day change his name to Doris Day during the 2000 election.

The Alliance's direct democracy proposals, which would have required a referendum on any proposal supported by a petition signed by 3% of Canadian voters, was also frequently targeted as a suggestion of a hidden agenda. Some asserted that "special interest" groups would use the low requirements to put contentious subjects to a national referendum. Day himself never did support the threshold, explaining that he would need to consult with Canadians over what the threshold should be.[14] The proposal was satirized by Rick Mercer of This Hour Has 22 Minutes, where he proposed a national petition for a referendum to demand that Day change his first name to Doris, which reached the threshold advocated by The Alliance.
Zen horse
norton ash

Postby Asta » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:05 pm

Didn't Jim Nabors already die?
Asta

Previous

Return to General Discussion