Only Good News: Peace Quotes

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Only Good News: Peace Quotes

Postby Starman » Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:21 pm

HeH! -- How about a 'change', somethings encouraging and positive, all in one Place?!~<br>Keep yer Bright Shiny Message-Meaning of Peace and Life and Love and Beauty Beaming Forthly!<br>Starman<br><br>PEACE QUOTES <br><br>@ <!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.forusa.org/quotes/default.html">www.forusa.org/quotes/default.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> <br><br>via: <!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.likroper.com/page1.html">www.likroper.com/page1.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br><br>War is obsolete…We are not here to fight something or tear something down; <br>We are here to be the example of what is possible…Any sane individual will tell you that violence is...not the way - Buckminster Fuller<br><br><br>Nonviolence is really tough…You don't practice nonviolence at conferences; you practice it on picket-lines - Cesar Chavez <br><br><br>War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today - John F. Kennedy <br><br><br>Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people. To destroy this invisible government, to befoul the unholy alliance between corrupt business and corrupt politics is the first task of the statesmanship of the day - Theodore Roosevelt, April 19, 1906 <br><br><br>So instead of loving what you think is peace, love other [people] and love God above all. And instead of hating the people you think are warmakers, hate the appetites and the disorder in your own soul, which are the causes of war. If you love peace, then hate injustice, hate tyranny, hate greed - but hate these things in yourself, not in another - Thomas Merton, from "New Seeds of Contemplation" <br><br><br>I like to believe that people in the long run are going to do more to promote peace than our governments. Indeed, I think that the people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it - Dwight D. Eisenhower <br><br><br>My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together - Archbishop Desmond Tutu <br><br><br>We suffer from an incurable malady: Hope - Mahmoud Darwish, Palestinian poet <br><br><br>The best preparedness is the one that disarms the hostility of other nations and makes friends of them - Helen Keller<br><br><br>If there is light in the soul, there will be beauty in the person. If there is beauty in the person, there will be harmony in the house. If there is harmony in the house, there will be order in the nation. If there is order in the nation, there will be peace in the world - Chinese Proverb <br><br><br>Peace, in the sense of absence of war, is of little value to someone who is dying of hunger or cold. Peace can only last where human rights are respected, where people are fed, and where individuals and nations are free - The 14th Dalai Lama <br><br><br>Great ideas, it has been said, come into the world as gently as doves. Perhaps then, if we listen attentively, we shall hear amid the uproar of empires and nations, a faint flutter of wings, a gentle stirring of life and hope. Some will say that this hope lies in a nation; others in a person. I believe rather that it is awakened, revived, nourished by millions of solitary individuals whose deeds and works every day negate frontiers and the crudest implications of history. As a result, there shines forth fleetingly the ever-threatened truth that each and every person, on the foundation of his or her own sufferings and joys, builds for all - Albert Camus, The Artist and His Time <br><br><br>In the hearts of people today there is a deep longing for peace. When the true spirit of peace is thoroughly dominant, it becomes an inner experience with unlimited possibilities. Only when this really happens-- when the spirit of peace awakens and takes possession of men's hearts, can humanity be saved from perishing - Albert Schweitzer (1875-1965)<br><br><br>"Peace is not the product of terror or fear. Peace is not the silence of cemeteries. Peace is not the silent result of violent repression. Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all. Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity. It is right and it is duty - Oscar Romero <br><br><br>Peace comes from being able to contribute the best that we have, and all that we are, toward creating a world that supports everyone. But it is also securing the space for others to contibute the best that they have and all that they are - Hafsat Abiola <br><br><br>Why is it so easy for us to be willing to pick up arms and risk our lives, and so difficult to put down those same weapons and still risk our lives - in the cause of life? - Ramzi Kysia, a young Muslim-American peace activist <br><br><br>The job of the peacemaker is to stop war, to purify the world, to get it saved from poverty and riches, to heal the sick, to comfort the sad, to wake up those who have not yet found God, to create joy and beauty wherever you go, to find God in everything and everyone - Muriel Lester <br><br><br>One is called to live nonviolently, even if the change one works for seems impossible. It may or may not be possible to turn the US around through nonviolent revolution. But one thing favors such an attempt: the total inability of violence to change anything for the better - Daniel Berrigan <br><br><br>The God of life summons us to life; more, to be lifegivers, especially toward those who lie under the heel of the powers - Daniel Berrigan <br><br><br>Sometime in your life, hope that you might see one starved man, the look on his face when the bread finally arrives…Hope that you might have baked it or bought or even kneaded it yourself…For that look on his face, for your meeting his eyes across a piece of bread, you might be willing to lose a lot, or suffer a lot, or die a little, even - Daniel Berrigan <br><br><br>We have assumed the name of peacemakers, but we have been, by and large, unwilling to pay any significant price…And because we want the peace with half a heart and half a life and will, the war, of course, continues, because the waging of war, by its nature, is total—but the waging of peace, by our own cowardice, is partial…So a whole will and a whole heart and a whole national life bent toward war prevail over the mere desire for peace… <br><br><br>There is no peace because the making of peace is at least as costly as the making of war—at least as exigent, at least as disruptive, at least as liable to bring disgrace and prison and death in its wake - Daniel Berrigan <br><br><br>Peace begins when the hungry are fed - Anonymous <br><br><br>Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it stands than to anything on which it is poured - Anonymous <br><br><br>Peace is the work of justice indirectly, in so far as justice removes the obstacles to peace; but it is the work of charity (love) directly, since charity, according to its very notion, causes peace - Thomas Aquinas <br><br><br>When evil is allowed to compete with good, evil has an emotional populist appeal that wins out unless good men and women stand as a vanguard against abuse - Hannah Arendt, 20th-century German political philosopher and author <br><br><br><br>The sad truth is that most evil is done by people who never make up their minds to be good or evil - Hannah Arendt<br><br><br>Peace is not the product of a victory or a command…It has no finishing line, no final deadline, no fixed definition of achievement…Peace is a never-ending process, the work of many decisions - Oscar Arias <br><br><br>That's all nonviolence is - organized love - Joan Baez <br><br><br>The only thing that's been a worse flop than the organization of nonviolence has been the organization of violence - Joan Baez <br><br><br>If it's natural to kill, how come men have to go into training to learn how? - Joan Baez<br><br><br>The point of nonviolence is to build a floor, a strong new floor, beneath which we can no longer sink…A platform which stands a few feet above napalm, torture, exploitation, poison gas, A and H bombs, the works…Give man a decent place to stand - Joan Baez<br><br><br>There have been periods of history in which episodes of terrible violence occurred but for which the word violence was never used...Violence is shrouded in justifying myths that lend it moral legitimacy, and these myths for the most part kept people from recognizing the violence for what it was…The people who burned witches at the stake never for one moment thought of their act as violence; rather they though of it as an act of divinely mandated righteousness…The same can be said of most of the violence we humans have ever committed - Gil Bailie <br><br><br>The most potent weapon in the hands of the oppressor is the mind of the oppressed - Steve Biko <br><br><br>When you're finally up on the moon, looking back at the earth, all these differences and nationalistic traits are pretty well going to blend and you're going to get a concept that maybe this is really one world and why the hell can't we learn to live together like decent people? - Frank Borman <br><br><br>There is no time left for anything but to make peace work a dimension of our every waking activity - Elise Boulding<br><br><br>We do not inherit the earth from our fathers…We borrow it from our children - David Bower<br><br><br>Violence in the voice is often only the death rattle of reason in the throat - John Boyes<br><br><br>We have grasped the mystery of the atom and rejected the Sermon on the Mount…Ours is a world of nuclear giants and ethical infants…We know more about war than we know about peace, more about killing that we know about living - General Omar Bradley<br><br><br>When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint…When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist - Archbishop Helder Camara, Brazilian liberation theologist <br><br><br>It is the job of thinking people, not to be on the side of the executioners - Albert Camus <br><br><br>We used to wonder where war lived, what it was that made it so vile…And now we realize that we know where it lives, that it is inside ourselves - Albert Camus <br><br><br>Until we have the courage to recognize cruelty for what it is--whether its victim is human or animal--we cannot expect things to be much better in this world...We cannot have peace among men whose hearts delight in killing any living creature. By every act that glorifies or even tolerates such moronic delight in killing we set back the progress of humanity - Rachel Carson <br><br><br>The love of one's country is a splendid thing…But why should love stop at the border? - Pablo Casals<br><br><br><br>Each person has inside a basic decency and goodness…If he listens to it and acts on it, he is giving a great deal of what it is the world needs most…It is not complicated but it takes courage…It takes courage for a person to listen to his own goodness and act on it - Pablo Casals<br>***<br><br>READ MORE PEACE QUOTES – <br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.wagingpeace.org/menu/issues/peace-&-war/start/peace-quotes/">www.wagingpeace.org/menu/...ce-quotes/</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> <br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.indianchild.com/Peace_Quotations.htm">www.indianchild.com/Peace_Quotations.htm</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> <br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://members.aol.com/pforpeace/quote8.htmhttp://www.inspirational-quotations. ... uotes.html">members.aol.com/pforpeace...uotes.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> <br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.forusa.org/quotes/default.html">www.forusa.org/quotes/default.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> <br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.salsa.net/peace/quotes.html">www.salsa.net/peace/quotes.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> <br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://home.att.net/~quotations/peace.html">home.att.net/~quotations/peace.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> <br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/topics/topic_peace.html">www.brainyquote.com/quote...peace.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> <br><br>THE FIRST PRINCIPLE OF NON-VIOLENT ACTION IS THE NON-COOPERATION WITH ANYTHING HUMILIATING" – GANDHI <br><br>tolerance plus compassion minus hatred and violence equals peace – lik roper <br><br>one divided by infinity equals zero - mayan logic<br> <p></p><i></i>
Starman

Blog: View Blog (0)

indeed.

Postby Homeless Halo » Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:51 pm

Feburary 1930:<br><br>"In the pitch-dark ages, when Christianity held unchallenged sway over those portions of this globe which it had sufficiently corrupted, the pursuit of knowledge--knowledge of any kind--was just estimated by the people in power as the one and only dangerous pursuit. Even so, as late as 300 years ago it was not considered very gentlemanly to be able to read and write.<br>I am not sure that it is."<br><br>--Mega Therion<br><br>Love is the Law. <p></p><i></i>
Homeless Halo

By Judy Chicago

Postby GDN01 » Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:58 pm

And then all what has divided us will merge.<br>And then compassion will be wedded to power.<br>And then softness will come<br>to a world that is often harsh and unkind.<br>And then both women and men will be gentle.<br>And then both men and women will be strong.<br>And then no other person will be subject to another's will.<br>And then all will be rich and varied.<br>And then all will share equally in the earth's abundance.<br>And then all will care for the sick and the weak and the old.<br>And then all will nourish the young.<br>And then all will cherish life's creatures.<br>And then all will live in harmony with each other and the earth.<br>And then everywhere will be called Eden once again. <p></p><i></i>
GDN01

Postby Gouda » Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:21 pm

<!--EZCODE UNDERLINE START--><span style="text-decoration:underline"><!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>Chief Joseph</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--></span><!--EZCODE UNDERLINE END--> <br>"Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself...and I will obey every law or submit to the penalty." <br><br><!--EZCODE UNDERLINE START--><span style="text-decoration:underline"><!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>Bishop Oscar Romero</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--></span><!--EZCODE UNDERLINE END--><br>"When I called for the role of the Church to be with the poor, I am called a saint; when I'm asked to do something about the causes of poverty, I am called a communist."<br><br><!--EZCODE UNDERLINE START--><span style="text-decoration:underline"><!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--></span><!--EZCODE UNDERLINE END--><br>"Here is the true meaning and value of compassion and nonviolence when it helps us to see the enemy's point of view, to hear his questions, to know his assessment of ourselves. For from his view we may indeed see the basic weaknesses of our own condition, and if we are mature, we may learn and grow and profit from the wisdom of the brothers who are called the opposition."<br><br><br><br> <p></p><i></i>
Gouda

peace

Postby big » Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:02 pm

<!--EZCODE FONT START--><span style="color:green;font-family:helvetica;font-size:medium;">alas, peace requires intelligence, and people wont use what intelligence they have<br><br>peace has a cause, and intelligence finds that cause<br><br>the intelligence people have is enough to know the cause<br><br>but people have all faith in nice thoughts, and no faith in intelligence<br><br>anyone who objects to nice thoughts, as being ineffective, unscientific, impractical, is not received well<br><br>the cause of peace is just real, it isnt pretty or nice, its just the cause, so it has no appeal, for people like 'nice'<br><br>so they go on having war, and nice, because they do not understand the necessity of downtoearth, practical, unpretty cause in achieving the effect<br><br>if you subject the nice thoughts of peace to intelligent examination for practicality, you lose human sympathy, because you are being unnice to nice<br><br>people are not foolish enough to think nice thoughts will fix their car, but they are foolish enough to think nice thoughts will bring peace<br><br>they do not look hard at nice thoughts to see if they are made of wool or steel<br><br>criminals dont achieve their ends by thinking nasty thoughts - they do the necessary things - they figure out the mechanisms, and push the right buttons</span><!--EZCODE FONT END--><br><br><br><br> <p></p><i></i>
big

peace

Postby big » Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:18 pm

<!--EZCODE FONT START--><span style="color:purple;font-family:helvetica;font-size:medium;">when you read the last post, were you concerned that you might not be doing the right thing to bring peace, or were you concerned that someone might have been not nice about your intelligence?<br><br>we need truth<br><br>happiness is reality-based<br><br>we need nice friends, who keep our ego alive, and we need nasty friends, who turn our steps away from the cliffedge<br><br>a friend is one who warns you<br><br>kingdoms fall when advisers are flatterers</span><!--EZCODE FONT END--> <p></p><i></i>
big

mr big

Postby william » Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:25 pm

<!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong><!--EZCODE FONT START--><span style="color:navy;font-family:times new roman;font-size:medium;">who the h*** do you think you are, big? - you pompous, arrogant, insufferable prat - you blistering, pompous, arrogant, insufferable super-prat</span><!--EZCODE FONT END--></strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--> <p></p><i></i>
william

Return to Spirituality