Food Not Bombs: or, soup and bread as a national threat

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Food Not Bombs: or, soup and bread as a national threat

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:36 am

Although Daniel Quinn hasn’t amounted to much since his breakthrough book Ishmael, still: hot damn, that was one hell of a book. The realization that I lived in a culture that locked up it’s food in order to force us to work was a brutal shock. Come to think of it, it still is a brutal shock, because that’s one of those “hidden in plain sight” secrets that’s easy to forget for months at a time.

One of the best illustrations of how absurd and horrific our Great Nation really is would have to be the saga of Food Not Bombs, an activist francise that’s dedicated to the radically dangerous act of feeding homeless people. Yep. They set up public kitchen and give away meals—generally vegan and organic, to boot—to anyone and everyone who wants some food.

The story of how America has responded to these allegedly peaceful and well-intentioned terrorists will make your heart swell with patriotic pride. Or, it might make you puke.

http://www.brainsturbator.com/index.php ... al_threat/

Let me know if this is obnoxious self-promotion at all, I won't be offended, feel free to cut 'em.
Wombaticus Rex

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby marykmusic » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:37 am

On Christmas Eve, 2003, my boys and I marched with them in downtown Tempe (that's the big suburb of Phoenix where ASU is) to protest their anti-homeless laws.

Can't sleep in a vehicle.

Can't lie down in any public place.

No preparing food.

You'll be locked up if you do any of these things.

We had handouts of alternative carols, such as (to the tune of Jingle Bells): Tempe sucks, Tempe sucks, They hate you if you're poor...

On our way home down I-10, about 10 PM, there was a guy walking with a black Hefty bag. Couldn't see clearly, and I discussed it with the boys first (remember what I've said about them, they are better at "seeing" energy than I am), and I turned around at the next exit, went back one, turned around again and picked the man up. He's walked from central Phoenix the day before, and there was no room at the inn, so to speak. Homeless programs there are insider knowledge and someone from out of town will have a hard time finding them.

He spent the night on our couch and at noon on Christmas Day, I took him to the local shelter in Casa Grande. He was a gentle soul.

How could I not do something that needed doing? Especially after exposing my boys, 11 and 13, to street activism with the Food Not Bombs people?

The Cherokee say, if you see something that needs doing, that means you're the one who is supposed to do it. --MaryK
http://www.zforcegroup.com

"You cannot wifstand my supewiew intewect." --Tweety Bird
marykmusic

Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Activism