Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Springsteen

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Postby Hugh Manatee Wins » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:27 pm

IanEye wrote:
Hugh Manatee Wins wrote:His latest album title, 'Working on a Dream,' fits right into the nationalist propaganda about the mythic American Dream and the illusion that Martin Luther King's 'I have a dream'-speech has been realized under Saint Obama.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Hugh - ratio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy...."

"Hugh-ratio"

Good one, IanEye. Touche! :mrgreen:

Re: "Dreams."

I'm averse to this word because it frames ideals as sentimental fantasies, not plans to retrieve our world from fascists. See 'Hopenosis.'
CIA runs mainstream media since WWII:
news rooms, movies/TV, publishing
Disney is CIA for kidz!
Hugh Manatee Wins

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby JackRiddler » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:44 pm

nathan28 wrote:
MacCruiskeen wrote:So you've noticed that every record and every book sold by any commercial company is a commodity. Like wow, eureka, tell the world the news. This doesn't mean that there's no substantial difference between "God Save the Queen" and "Born to Run", nor does it make Noam Chomsky equivalent to Tom Clancy.

Whoa, hold it there with that subtlety. Are you sure you are not, and have never been, an Obamabot?

Laugh of the day. Thanks.

I resent the positions I'm forced to assume here, or have attributed to me - honestly, the commercial but pretty good rock music of Springsteen doesn't even make my Top 50 in the pop-and-rock category. He has at times annoyed me (in college this roommate just wouldn't stop playing his records!). I also understand the critique that Born in the USA / Born to Run are anthemic and easily abused for the refrains, despite the lyrics that no one understands (i.e., because they're sung unintelligibly, not because they're too hard to understand).

But that's true of a lot of things that are meant one way, but abused by the machine on behalf of a different function (sometimes intended so).

And whatever his failure to do more than lip service and a few donations for good causes, or to live up to the standards of John Lennon or William Blake or Noam Chomsky (!), still I'll object if I wander in on a claim that -- by playing at this year's Stupid Bowl -- Springsteen in fact staged the Nuremberg rally for Incoming Fuehrer Obama! And THAT, I shall now repeat for the last time, is the thesis of the OP, which is not a critique of the Super Bowl, or of football, or of militarism, or of the uses and abuses of stadium rock per se ...

Finally, it should be noted: Springsteen most emphatically did not "let" the Republicans use his song for the 1984 Reagan campaign, any more than Heart allowed the use of Barracuda as Sarah Palin's theme song. In both cases, the artists objected in public, and the Republicans went ahead and kept playing the songs and paying the user fees to the labels, as they were legally entitled to do.

Phew! Was this really worth all this effort? See other thread on Internet addiction... But yes, it is. Obama-Hitler talk is outrageous and exists mainly to cover up the far more Hitlerian and unelected regime we just had, which is about to escape without a reckoning (and with Obama's help, of course), and ultimately serves to aid the revival of the Republican Party.

I want to see the Republicans go defunct, and then the Democrats. It will not happen the other way around.

JackRiddler

Postby MacCruiskeen » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:57 pm

Yeah, Jack, but art matters, which is why I go on about it. I'm still sentimental that way. And there is a difference between art and kitsch.

As Le Colonel Chabertonce said: I aspire to philistinism but I haven't yet achieved it.

Malcolm Bull: The Ecstasy of Philistinism
"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby slimmouse » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:32 pm

JackRiddler wrote: Obama-Hitler talk is outrageous and exists mainly to cover up the far more Hitlerian and unelected regime we just had, which is about to escape without a reckoning (and with Obama's help, of course), and ultimately serves to aid the revival of the Republican Party.

I want to see the Republicans go defunct, and then the Democrats. It will not happen the other way around.

But Jack, surely youre missing the point.

Obama, Bush, Reagan..........you fuckin name........

The empire (small few) continue unabated, and now take the piss out of us into the bargain by employing a guy singing an essentially Anti American song in the modern ampitheatre . ( Without the death of course - The murder has to be committed beyond the gaze of its subjects these days - were civilised you see)

However, I wouldnt be surprised if the Nazis (essentially created by the same small clique) used similar methods though, or the Brits, or the French, or the Romans, etc etc.
slimmouse

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby JackRiddler » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:29 pm

MacCruiskeen wrote:Yeah, Jack, but art matters, which is why I go on about it. I'm still sentimental that way. And there is a difference between art and kitsch.

Fire away, man, but seriously: The artlessness of the OP should offend you.
JackRiddler

Postby IanEye » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:45 pm

MacCruiskeen wrote:Yeah, Jack, but art matters, which is why I go on about it. I'm still sentimental that way. And there is a difference between art and kitsch.

Mac, I think you spelled that last word wrong:

Hey, I just compared your outlook on life to that of a Nazi.

I guess I have more in common with Mr. Yearsley than I thought....
IanEye

Blog: View Blog (29)

Postby barracuda » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:02 am

IanEye, that poster exemplifies exactly where any critique of the Superbowl spectacle along the lines of the OP essentially loses credibility. Say what you want about the fascism and militarism built into massive modern American telesportainment - Hitler and Goebbels' Nazi program for the arts was concerned first and foremost with the promotion of germanic ideals of racial purity, stuffed into what ever hackneyed revival or bland pastiche that would accomodate it.

The most dangerous traps are the ones you set for yourself. - Phillip Marlowe
barracuda

Postby MacCruiskeen » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:56 am

Mac, I think you spelled that last word wrong:

No, Ian, I didn't. "Kunst" means art, in German, whereas "Kitsch" means kitsch. HTH.

Hey, I just compared your outlook on life to that of a Nazi.

Yeah, that was a rhetorical masterstroke. So now I'm a Nazi because I don't like Schlockmeister Springsteen... Well, mea culpa, man, and don't let me harsh your buzz. Hey, The Boss is OK, you're OK, I'm OK, everybody's OK. Only a fascist would deny it.

"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby JackRiddler » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:36 am

Also present at the Nuremberg Redux rally under Gauleiter Springsteen was none other than Pete Seeger.

Here's the John Birch view...

http://24ahead.com/pete-seeger-most-ope ... ural-music

Sun, 01/18/2009 - 21:02

Pete Seeger most open Communist at Barack Obama inaugural musical celebration

Zdravstvuite tovarishchi! Yesli by... oops! Izvinite, I begin again.

If I had hammer and sickle and dollar for every note that Pete Seeger sung at today's inaugural celebration in honor of Barack Obama, I would have to
give most of it back to state!

Meanwhile, here picture of American music legend singing with Bruce Springsteen at event that happened today.

Apologists note: The One, The Only Barack Obama attended the event, and in 2005 Seeger said "I still call myself a communist"; he'd said similar things in 2000 and 2004 (link).

Not that there's anything wrong with that or anything, but I am sure reactionary bourgeois pig folk singers are waiting their invites.. on the way to Sibir!

UPDATE: For the people's entertainment and educational purposes, I have included a video of Pete and Bruce Springsteen singing "This Land is Your Land". Our comrades on the inside who pretend to be capitalist pigs but who are actually on our side make issue over verses which are sometimes omitted (reason.com/blog/show/131127.html) and say this was a Marxist protest song originally written as an answer to "God Bless America." Da, and so? Our new president probably enjoyed singing along to this verse:

As I went rumbling that dusty highway
I saw a sign that said "private property"
But on the other side it didn't say nothing
This side was made for you and me
JackRiddler

Postby MacCruiskeen » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:02 am

Oh, Yearsley's article was miles over the top, no doubt.

And the inauguration ceremony certainly was a Triumph of the Spectacle. Roping in poor old Pete Seeger for that multi-million-dollar personality-cult PR extravaganza was a stroke of real genius. If Woody Guthrie had still been alive, they could have dropped him in by parachute from a fighter jet. The crowd would have loved it.

Meanwhile, how many war criminals has Obama pledged to prosecute? How many Pakistani villagers has he killed? How many trillion dollars has he pledged to give the banksters, so far? (This land is whose land?)

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby MacCruiskeen » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:08 am

I wish they'd invited Alice Cooper instead.

'Elected' (1972)

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby chlamor » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:33 am

Springsteen has never been more than a baby-step away from full fledged flag waving American idolatry. He is steeped in Americanism and all along the way professes a deep and abiding faith in "This great country." He is essentially telling lies every step of the way, using full blown propaganda, whether he realizes this or not. Now about all that can be said in his favor on this point is that he has at times expressed a mildly questioning faith in his Red-White-Blue deity but from even those mild moments he recovers quickly to return to worshiping unabashedly at the altar of the Leviathan. He has built his career upon this so what occurred at this years Super Bowl is fitting for 'The Boss' just as it is fitting that he celebrate with the masses the new Prince of Hope's coronation.

As for the comparison that the author uses it may be somewhat overwrought but that then is more of a matter of style over substance. I think the main idea here is for us to take note of these comparisons and be forewarned and forearmed.

Can America have it's own "brand" of fascism? If we are expecting grainy footage of brownshirts at 11 before we act we may never move at all. Perhaps this century's version from the technocratic Empire won't be televised but will be muted beneath the din of Stadia events and foggy rock stars.

Liberal thy name is hypocrisy. What's new?
chlamor

Postby chlamor » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:36 am

Hey, it's easier to get attention with this shit than to just describe the sorry and appalling realities of our country and the new government as they actually are, isn't it? (Next up: As I have failed to applaud this junk, I'll be called an Obama cultist. Because those are the only choices: either you call him Hitler and Springsteen his Riefenstahl, or you're just another brainwashed puppy dog!)

The irony in this statement defies description.

Pass the scrambled eggs Jack.
Liberal thy name is hypocrisy. What's new?
chlamor

Postby nathan28 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:03 am

I was going to say, if they can rope Pete Seeger into a militarist, neoliberal death rattle of an inauguration, but then...

chlamor wrote:
Hey, it's easier to get attention with this shit than to just describe the sorry and appalling realities of our country and the new government as they actually are, isn't it? (Next up: As I have failed to applaud this junk, I'll be called an Obama cultist. Because those are the only choices: either you call him Hitler and Springsteen his Riefenstahl, or you're just another brainwashed puppy dog!)

The irony in this statement defies description.

Pass the scrambled eggs Jack.

Wow, you actually did it.
nathan28

Postby MacCruiskeen » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:49 am

Pete Seeger is 89.

Just sayin'.

PS Chlamor, JR is certainly no Obama cultist. That much is surely crystal-clear?

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion