American Legion Declares War on Protestors- whats next?????

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

American Legion Declares War on Protestors- whats next?????

Postby toscaveritas » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:13 am

This is very disturbing. Are they gearing up to send off these disturbed guys against peaceful protestors? <br><br>American Legion Declares War on Protestors -- Media Next?<br><br>By E&P Staff<br><br>Published: August 24, 2005 4:20 PM ET<br><br>NEW YORK The American Legion, which has 2.7 million members, has declared war on antiwar protestors, and the media could be next. Speaking at its national convention in Honolulu, the group's national commander called for an end to all “public protests” and “media events” against the war, even though they are protected by the Bill of Rights.<br><br>"The American Legion will stand against anyone and any group that would demoralize our troops, or worse, endanger their lives by encouraging terrorists to continue their cowardly attacks against freedom-loving peoples," Thomas Cadmus, national commander, told delegates at the group's national convention in Honolulu.<br><br>The delegates voted to use whatever means necessary to "ensure the united backing of the American people to support our troops and the global war on terrorism."<br><br>In his speech, Cadmus declared: "It would be tragic if the freedoms our veterans fought so valiantly to protect would be used against their successors today as they battle terrorists bent on our destruction.”<br><br>He explained, "No one respects the right to protest more than one who has fought for it, but we hope that Americans will present their views in correspondence to their elected officials rather than by public media events guaranteed to be picked up and used as tools of encouragement by our enemies." This might suggest to some, however, that American freedoms are worth dying for but not exercising.<br><br>Without mentioning any current protestor, such as Cindy Sheehan, by name, Cadmus recalled: "For many of us, the visions of Jane Fonda glibly spouting anti-American messages with the North Vietnamese and protestors denouncing our own forces four decades ago is forever etched in our memories. We must never let that happen again….<br><br>"We had hoped that the lessons learned from the Vietnam War would be clear to our fellow citizens. Public protests against the war here at home while our young men and women are in harm's way on the other side of the globe only provide aid and comfort to our enemies."<br><br>Resolution 3, which was passed unanimously by 4,000 delegates to the annual event, states: "The American Legion fully supports the president of the United States, the United States Congress and the men, women and leadership of our armed forces as they are engaged in the global war on terrorism and the troops who are engaged in protecting our values and way of life."<br><br>Cadmus advised: "Let's not repeat the mistakes of our past. I urge all Americans to rally around our armed forces and remember our fellow Americans who were viciously murdered on Sept. 11, 2001."<br>E&P Staff (letters@editorandpublisher.com) <br><br><!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001020671">www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001020671</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--> <p></p><i></i>
toscaveritas

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: American Legion Declares War on Protestors- whats next??

Postby dbeach » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:16 am

I quit ther organization last yr after they had photo of rummy and luv fest article<br><br>DISGUSTING!!!!<br>VETERAN FOR PEACE. <br><br>REGIME CHANGE BEGINS AT HOME!<br><br>Many Vets are against the TREASON <p></p><i></i>
dbeach

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: American Legion Declares War on Protestors- whats next??

Postby darkbeforedawn » Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:54 am

My local newspaper recently published a letter from me in which I urged local citizens to support Cindy Sheehan as their kids could be next etc etc...I was warned by a friend to expect "hatemail". But I could never have predicted the strange and ritualized response I resceived from a group of "vets" who all claimed to have enjoyed killing "communists" and "what did I ever do for my country?" and accusing me of not liking freedom etc etc. None signed their names and they appeared to say the same things over and over. Could they have been paid to write to those who actually speak up? I thought so. It seemed to be too neat and organized to be a spontanous response. <p></p><i></i>
darkbeforedawn

Return to Iraq