antiwar activist ex-marine a liar according to reporters

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

antiwar activist ex-marine a liar according to reporters

Postby hmm » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:08 am

<!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/nation/story/51DC19D72A063D2F862570B00067A5B7?OpenDocument">www.stltoday.com/stltoday...enDocument</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>is Jimmy Massey telling the truth about Iraq?<br>By Ron Harris<br>POST-DISPATCH WASHINGTON BUREAU<br>11/05/2005<br><br>For more than a year, former Marine Staff Sgt. Jimmy Massey has been telling anybody who will listen about the atrocities that he and other Marines committed in Iraq.<br>~snip~<br>News organizations worldwide published or broadcast Massey's claims without any corroboration and in most cases without investigation. Outside of the Marines, almost no one has seriously questioned whether Massey, a 12-year veteran who was honorably discharged, was telling the truth.<br><br>He wasn't.<br><br>Each of his claims is either demonstrably false or exaggerated - according to his fellow Marines, Massey's own admissions, and the five journalists who were embedded with Massey's unit, including a reporter and photographer from the Post-Dispatch and reporters from The Associated Press and The Wall Street Journal.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>Interesting that these embedded reporters all confirm that there is no truth to US soldiers killing civilians.<br>I also found it interesting that so much effort was made by the media to disprove this marines story.<br>shame this kind of effort was not made by the media to disprove the USA's case for the war on Iraq,which was full of obvious holes. <p></p><i></i>
hmm

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: antiwar activist ex-marine a liar according to reporters

Postby israelirealities » Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:46 pm

HE COULD BE AN INTENTIONAL DECOY, TO DISCREDIT THE OTHERS, AND TO UNDERMINE THE IRB. <p></p><i></i>
israelirealities

See private Robert Garwood's story. Press smeared him, too.

Postby Watchful Citizen » Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:51 pm

I'm reading 'Into the Buzzsaw,' a collection of stories by journalists who found out what happens when you report something people don't want you to.<br><br>The CIA-steered military mainstream media badjacketed an escaped US prisoner of war as a deserter because there weren't supposed to be any US POW's left in Vietnam to escape! They had been deserted by the White House and Pentagon. Here's a blurb on that crucification of one soldier who told a painful truth:<br><br><br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.wanttoknow.info/massmedia">www.wanttoknow.info/massmedia</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br>Monika Jensen-Stevenson is a former Emmy-winning producer for 60 Minutes. The Vietnam Veterans Coalition awarded her the Vietnam Veterans National Medal.<br><br>Marine Private Robert R. Garwood—fourteen years a prisoner of the communist Vietnamese—was found guilty of collaboration with the enemy in the longest court-martial in United States history. I first heard of Garwood in 1979. Wire reports referred to him as a defector whom the US government was charging with being a traitor. At the end of the court-martial, there seemed no question that Garwood was a monstrous traitor. (pp. 255, 256)<br><br>In 1985, Garwood was speaking publicly about something that had never made the news during his court-martial. The Wall Street Journal reported he said that he knew firsthand of other American prisoners in Vietnam long after the war was over. He was supported by Vietnam combat veterans whose war records were impeccable. These veterans told a story vastly different from what was made public during the court-martial and one that was intimately tied to another 60 Minutes story I was working on—“Dead or Alive?” The title referred to Vietnam POW/MIAs. (p. 256)<br><br>My sources included outstanding experts like former head of the Defense Intelligence Agency General Eugene Tighe and returned POWs like Captain Red McDaniel, who held the Navy’s top award for bravery, had commanded the aircraft carrier Lexington, and was director of liaison on Capitol Hill for the Navy and Marine Corps. With such advocates providing back up, it was hard not to consider the possibility that prisoners (some 3,500) had in fact been kept by the Vietnamese communists as hostages to make sure the US would pay the more than $3 billion in war reparations that Nixon had promised before his fall from grace. Particularly compelling was the fact that of the 300 prisoners known to be held in Laos, not one was released for homecoming in 1973. (p. 256)<br><br>Initially held back to ensure the US would fulfill its secret promise to pay reparation monies, by 1979 American POWs had become worthless pawns. The US had not paid the promised monies and had no intention of paying in the future. (p. 263) <p></p><i></i>
Watchful Citizen

Er, how come other Marines...

Postby banned » Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:13 am

....who presumably are the ones accused, and embeds who are 'in bed' with the gubmint, have any credibility at all?<br><br>Oh wait they don't.<br><br>Never mind. <p></p><i></i>
banned

Re: antiwar activist ex-marine a liar *update*

Postby hmm » Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:45 pm

<!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://news.independent.co.uk/world/middle_east/article328159.ece">news.independent.co.uk/wo...328159.ece</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr><br> Furore over ex-marine's account of killing of civilians<br>By Natasha Saulnier<br>Published: 20 November 2005<br><br>For 20 months, former US marine Staff Sergeant Jimmy Massey has claimed in numerous interviews that he and his platoon killed unarmed civilians during the invasion of Iraq.<br><br>Last year The Independent on Sunday was one of the first newspapers to publish his story, which has never been challenged by the Marine Corps. But now that Mr Massey's autobiography, Kill, Kill, Kill, has been published in France and is being considered for publication in the US, a reporter who was embedded with the 1,200-man battalion has questioned the veracity of his claims.<br><br>Earlier this month Ron Harris wrote a series in his newspaper, the St Louis Post-Dispatch, under headlines that included, "Is Jimmy Massey Telling the Truth About Iraq?". <!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>The articles seized on minor discrepancies of detail</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--> and implied that, because Mr Massey suffers from depression and post-traumatic stress disorder, he is less than reliable.<br><hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>and Jimmy Massey in his own words:<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.counterpunch.org/massey11102005.html">www.counterpunch.org/massey11102005.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>November 10, 2005<br><br>Smear Job<br>Is Ron Harris Telling the Truth?<br><br>By JIMMY MASSEY<br>~snip~<br>Major newspapers and media outlets published my story. <!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>Neither the Marine Corps nor any of my platoon members filed any charges against me as a result of my claims in over 20 months.</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--> Nor did they attempt any defamation campaign to counteract my allegations that the large numbers of civilians killed in the invasion, as a result of failed strategies, fomented anti-American sentiment, and fueled the insurgency.<br><br>Until Saturday.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>more in the articles... <p></p><i></i>
hmm

Goff

Postby Gouda » Sun Nov 20, 2005 5:43 pm

Stan Goff gently tears Harris a new one here:<br><br>"What a Difference Embedding Makes"<br>Jimmy Massey, Ron Harris and Ambush Journalism<br>By STAN GOFF, November 8, 2005<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.counterpunch.org/goff11082005.html">www.counterpunch.org/goff11082005.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br> <p></p><i></i>
Gouda

Re: Goff

Postby Iroquois » Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm

Thanks, Gouda. I'm such an admirer of Stan Goff that I've actually been afraid to post anything by him for fear that someone would post evidence that he's something other than what he claims. It's good to see that someone such as yourself seems to have a good opinion of him too. <p></p><i></i>
Iroquois

Re: Goff

Postby dbeach » Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:27 am

I also enjoyed reading the Goff article.<br><br><br><br>reminds me of the ' 5 o'clock follies in saigon when ole westy would give the media what they wanted..big body counts and US heroics.<br><br>Westy needed manpower and supplies and the war was getting unpopular .<br><br>Westy lost his job as he also became part of the longest unwinnable war..<br><br>over 58,000 died and the pols were still saying in 1971 to stay the course...<br><br>Iraq is again another unwinnable war as is Iran ,Syria ,<br>N Korea ..<br><br>.<br> Putin is in N Korea today arranging an oil deal .<br> Bush is doing God only knows what in China.<br><br><br>IMHO .<br><br>bush and his handlers want a dumb downed and weakened Military and then will have their private armies or UN armies enforce the coming Martial Law.<br><br>"as long as I was the dictator.." <p></p><i></i>
dbeach

discredited war stories

Postby mother » Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:55 pm

As soon as they announced the "imbedded journalists" a few years ago I knew there would be worse lies than usual. Then, when the young and idealistic good boys started dying by "friendly" fire, and especially that gung-ho, sincere football star-there's the man who knew too much. <p></p><i></i>
mother

Return to Iraq