Wounded Reporter Shot by US Troops

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Wounded Reporter Shot by US Troops

Postby AlicetheCurious » Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:13 pm

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr><!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>Lloyd shot dead by US troops, inquest told</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--><br><br>Leigh Holmwood<br>Friday October 6, 2006<br>MediaGuardian.co.uk<br><br><br>ITN reporter Terry Lloyd was shot in the head by American troops as he was being driven to hospital, the inquest into his death was told today.<br><br>An account by an Iraqi witness that was read out at the inquest in Oxford claimed Lloyd was still alive after the original attack on his car but was killed by US troops as he was driven from the scene.<br><br>The unnamed driver's account, which was read out by the deputy assistant coroner for Oxfordshire, Andrew Walker, gave new details of the last moments of Lloyd's life.<br><br>The witness's account was described as "very credible" by ITN's Nicholas Walshe, who led the news broadcaster's investigation into the journalist's death.<br><br>Before the account was read out, Mr Walker warned Lloyd's family, represented in court by his daughter, Chelsey, that the account could be distressing. He was told by the family's counsel, Anthony Hudson, that the family wanted to hear as much detail as possible.<br><br>"Terry was shot in the shoulder and had been lying in the sand," the Iraqi recounted. "He managed to walk to the car but was too weak to get in without help."<br><br>Mr Walker said the witness also said he had seen Lloyd's press pass and described a white Kuwaiti pass clipped on a yellow short-sleeved shirt.<br><br>"This witness said Mr Lloyd was then shot by US shots. The witness said Mr Lloyd was shot by US troops in the head while the vehicle was leaving the scene. Two Ba'ath party members were also shot. Three pieces of wood that had Mr Lloyd's blood on were also present. Mr Lloyd lay on the pieces of wood while the minibus took him to hospital."<br><br>......<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://media.guardian.co.uk/site/story/0,,1889272,00.html">media.guardian.co.uk/site...72,00.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--> <p></p><i></i>
AlicetheCurious

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Wounded Reporter Shot by US Troops

Postby darkbeforedawn » Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:34 pm

I remember in the first days if the ground fighting in Iraq, right on CNN they showed a laser target beam focusing on the hotel where reporters were staying and then Americans blew up the hotel. I knew then for certain we were in the grips of maniacs and that killing of the press was not an accident, but policy for these sociopaths. And they still get away with it and very few seem to remark on it even online. I wonder how many reporters and media personel have been killed there. I guess they don't want the pictures and story out--look what happened in nam--it just ruined their fun when the folks back home saw the pictures of the havoc they wrecked there... <p></p><i></i>
darkbeforedawn

Re: Wounded Reporter Shot by US Troops

Postby 4911 » Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:11 pm

O beautiful for spacious skies,<br>For amber waves of grain,<br>For purple mountain majesties<br>Above the fruited plain!<br>America! America!<br>God shed his grace on thee<br>And crown thy good with brotherhood<br>From sea to shining sea!<br><br>O beautiful for pilgrim feet<br>Whose stern, impassioned stress<br>A thoroughfare for freedom beat<br>Across the wilderness!<br>America! America!<br>God mend thine every flaw,<br>Confirm thy soul in self-control,<br>Thy liberty in law!<br><br>O beautiful for heroes proved In liberating strife.<br>Who more than self the country loved<br>And mercy more than life!<br>America! America!<br>May God thy gold refine<br>Till all success be nobleness<br>And every gain divine!<br><br>O beautiful for patriot dream<br>That sees beyond the years<br>Thine alabaster cities gleam<br>Undimmed by human tears!<br>America! America!<br>God shed his grace on thee<br>And crown thy good with brotherhood<br>From sea to shining sea!<br><br>O beautiful for halcyon skies,<br>For amber waves of grain,<br>For purple mountain majesties<br>Above the enameled plain!<br>America! America!<br>God shed his grace on thee<br>Till souls wax fair as earth and air<br>And music-hearted sea!<br><br>O beautiful for pilgrims feet,<br>Whose stern impassioned stress<br>A thoroughfare for freedom beat<br>Across the wilderness!<br>America ! America !<br>God shed his grace on thee<br>Till paths be wrought through<br>wilds of thought<br>By pilgrim foot and knee!<br><br>O beautiful for glory-tale<br>Of liberating strife<br>When once and twice,<br>for man's avail<br>Men lavished precious life !<br>America! America!<br>God shed his grace on thee<br>Till selfish gain no longer stain<br>The banner of the free!<br><br>O beautiful for patriot dream<br>That sees beyond the years<br>Thine alabaster cities gleam<br>Undimmed by human tears!<br>America! America!<br>God shed his grace on thee<br>Till nobler men keep once again<br>Thy whiter jubilee!<br> <p></p><i></i>

Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Iraq