Speaker Hastert, Turkish Bribes & Sibel Edmonds

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Speaker Hastert, Turkish Bribes & Sibel Edmonds

Postby seemslikeadream » Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:39 am

<!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://rawstory.com/news/2005/Vanity_Fair_floats_allegations_GOP_chief_Hastert_took_Turkish__0803.html">rawstory.com/news/2005/Va..._0803.html</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br><br>Vanity Fair floats allegations GOP chief Hastert took Turkish bribes<br>RAW STORY<br><br><br>Vanity Fair’s September edition, now out in New York but yet to hit national newsstands, packs a punch with an article about Sibel Edmonds, the FBI translator who has been gagged by the Bush Administration from revealing information about conversations she translated surrounding a seemingly major corruption scandal involving Turkish nationals and U.S. lawmakers, RAW STORY can reveal.<br><br>RAW STORY acquired a copy of the article by David Rose this evening. The following are some brief excerpts surrounding the meatier allegations Edmonds has made—some of which the FBI has confirmed—about the specifics surrounding her case. According to those briefed on the case, Edmonds says she has heard classified wiretaps which indicate Turkish nationals tried to bribe both Democratic and Republican lawmakers in Chicago and Washington.<br><br>Edmonds was fired from the FBI after trying to persuade her bosses to investigation a Turkish family, the Dickersons, she said was trying to trade on her status as an FBI operative. She suspected that the American Turkish Council, which the family tried to persuade her to join, was a front group for criminal activity. <br><br>Advertisement<br><br><br>#<br>On top of the usual prohibition against disclosing classified information, the Bush administration has smothered her case beneath the all-encompassing blanket of the “state-secrets privilege”—a Draconian and rarely used legal weapon that allows the government, merely by asserting a risk to national security, to prevent the lawsuits Edmonds has field contesting her treatment from being heard in court at all. According to the Department of Justice, to allow Edmonds her day in court, even at a closed hearing attended only by personnel with full security clearance, “could reasonably be expected to cause serious damage to the foreign policy and national security of the United States.”<br><br>Edmonds’ attorney, who works for the ACLU, says: “It also begs a question: Just what in the world is the government trying to hide?”<br><br>It may be more than another embarrassing security scandal,” writes Rose. “One counterintelligence official familiar with Edmonds’s case has told Vanity Fair that the FBI opened an investigation into covert activity by Turkish nations in the late 1990s. That inquiry found evidence, mainly via wiretaps, of attempts to corrupt senior American politicians in at least two major cities—Washington and Chicago. Toward the end of 2001, Edmonds was asked to translate some of the thousands of calls that had been record by this operation, some dating back to 1997.<br><br>"Edmonds has given confidential testimony inside a secure Sensitive Compartmented Information Facility on several occasions: to congressional staffers, to investigators from the OIG, and to staff from the 9/11 commission," Rose continues. "Sources familiar with this testimony say that, in addition to her allegations about the Dickersons, she reported hearing Turkish wiretap targets boast that they had a covert relationship with a very senior Republican indeed—Dennis Hastert, Republican congressman from Illinois and Speak of the House since 1999. The targets reportedly discussed giving Hastert tens of thousands of dollars in surreptitious payments in exchange for political favors and information. “The Dickersons,” says one official familiar with the case, “are just the tip of the iceberg.”<br><br>"Some of the calls reportedly contained what sounded like references to large scale drug shipments and other crimes," writes Rose. "One name, however, apparently stood out—a man the Turkish callers often referred to by the nickname “Denny boy.” It was the Republican congressman from Illinois and Speaker of the House, Dennis Hastert. According to some of the wiretaps, the FBI’s targets had arranged for thousands of dollars to be paid to Hastert’s campaign funds in small checks. Under Federal Election Commission rules, donations of less than $200 are not required to be itemized in public filings. <br><br>"Hastert himself was never heard on the recordings, Edmonds told investigators and it is possible that the claims of covert payments were hollow boasts," Rose says. "Nevertheless, an examination of Hastert’s federal filings shows that the level of un-itemized payments his campaigns received over many years was relatively high. Between April 1996 and December 2002, un-itemized personal donations to the Hastert for Congress fund amounted to $483,000. In contrast, un-itemized contributions to the same period to the committee run on behalf of the House majority leader, Tom DeLay, Republican of Texas, were only $99,000. An analysis of the filings of four other senior Republicans shows that only one, Clay Shaw, of Florida declared a higher total of un-itemized donations that Hastert during the same period: $552,000…<br><br>"Edmonds reportedly added that the recordings contained repeated references to Hastert’s flip-flop in the fall of 200," Rose pens, "over an issue which remains of intense concern to the Turkish government—the continuing campaign to have Congress designate the killings of Armenians between 1915 and 1923 a genocide. For many years, attempts had been made to get the House to pass a genocide resolution, but they never god anywhere until August 2000, when Haster, as Speaker, announced that he would give it his backing and see that it received a full House vote…Thanks to Hastert, the resolution, vehemently opposed by the Turks, passed… Then on October 19, minutes before the full House vote, Hastert withdrew it. He attributed it to a letter from President Clinton.<br><br>Vanity Fair insists, however, “there is no evidence that any payment was ever made to Hastert of his campaign. Nevertheless, a senior official at the Turkish Consulate is said to have claimed in one recording that the price for Hastert to withdraw the resolution would have been at least $50,000.”<br><br>Hastert’s spokesman denied the allegations, and said he knew nothing of the Turkish group.<br><br>While it's posted, you can read the full PDF : article here.<br><br><br><br><br>Vanity Fair: Turks Boasted of Payments to Hastert<br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=102&topic_id=1674619&mesg_id=1674619">www.democraticunderground...id=1674619</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>Sibel Edmonds: Turkey, drugs and 9/11<br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=104&topic_id=1894035">www.democraticunderground...id=1894035</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br> <p></p><i></i>
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Re: Speaker Hastert, Turkish Bribes & Sibel Edmonds

Postby dbeach » Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:48 am

"of attempts to corrupt senior American politicians in at least two major cities—Washington and Chicago"<br><br>must not have been too difficult to corrupt these modern versions of legislators..<br><br>I do appreciate the Sgt. Schultz special reply by Hasslealert's <br>spokesman: "I know nothing commandent.Nothing! " <p></p><i></i>
dbeach

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Sibel's Way

Postby seemslikeadream » Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:04 am

<!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=104&topic_id=3193228">www.democraticunderground...id=3193228</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>Statement of Sibel Edmonds Before the House Committee on Government Reform<br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=104&topic_id=3217087">www.democraticunderground...id=3217087</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>Can't have Sibel without Indira<br><br>Indira Singh Interview<br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=104&topic_id=4198146">www.democraticunderground...id=4198146</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>I've typed Part 2 of the Indira Singh interview...<br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=104&topic_id=4184674">www.democraticunderground...id=4184674</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>Everybody should hear this<br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=104&topic_id=4182589">www.democraticunderground...id=4182589</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p097.ezboard.com/brigorousintuition.showUserPublicProfile?gid=seemslikeadream@rigorousintuition>seemslikeadream</A> at: 8/4/05 12:10 am<br></i>
seemslikeadream

DU thread

Postby Qutb » Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:10 am

<!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=104x4255768">www.democraticunderground...04x4255768</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br> <p></p><i></i>
Qutb

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: paulthompson comments

Postby seemslikeadream » Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:41 am

paulthompson <br>52. Vanity Fair: An Inconvenient Patriot (Sibel Edmonds ties Hastert to crime) <br><br>Vanity Fair is coming out with must-read article about 9/11 whistleblower Sibel Edmonds tomorrow. She ties Dennis Hastert and others in the US gvmt to criminal activity. The POGO government watchdog group has put the entire article online, but in PDF format only. You can get it here:<br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://pogoblog.typepad.com/pogo/files/vanityfair_clean...">pogoblog.typepad.com/pogo...r_clean...</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> <br><br>A snippet:<br><br>Sources familiar with (Sibel Edmonds') testimony say that, in addition to her allegations about the Dickersons, she reported hearing Turkish wiretap targets boast that they had a covert relationship with a very senior politican indeed - Dennis Hastert, Republican congressman from Illinois and Speaker of the House since 1999. The targets reportedly discussed giving Hastert tens of thousands of dollars in surrepititious payments in exchange for political favors and information. "The Dickersons," says one official familiar with the case, "are only the tip of the iceberg."<br><br>Go read the article now!<br><br>As an aside, I've spoken to Edmonds lately, and she says this is some, but still far from all, of what she knows. She's still under her extreme gag order, but what Vanity Fair cleverly did was go to people around Sibel Edmonds who know parts of her story and reported what they said, so her gag order still is not broken. I gather that other US government officials could be named, if it weren't for the fact that revealing names mentioned in classified wiretaps is a very serious crime <br> <br> paulthompson <br>55. Some more key sections... <br> ...which I'm typing in as I read:<br><br>Edmonds had time to listen to numerous calls (to the Turkish Embassy in Washington, DC) before the Friday meeting, and some of them sounded important. According to her later secure testimony, in one conversation, recorded shortly after Dickerson reserved the targets' calls for herself, a Turkish official spoke directly to a U.S. State Department staffer. They agreed that the State Department staffer would send a representative at an appointed time to the American-Turkish Council office, where he would be given $7,000 in cash. "She told us she'd heard mention of exchanges of information, dead drops - that kind of thing," a congressional source says. "It was mostly money in exchange for secrets."<br><br>Another call allegedly discussed a payment to a Pentagon official, who seemed to be involved in weapons-procurement negotiations. Yet another implied that Turkish groups had been installing doctoral students at U.S. reserch institutions in order to acquire information about black market nuclear weapons. In fact, much of what Edmonds reportedly heard seemed to concern not state espionage but criminal activity. There was talk, she told investigators, of laundering the profits of large-scale drug deals and selling classified military technologies to the highest bidder.<br><br>---<br><br>As an aside, from what I understand after talking to Edmonds, she's not talking about the Turkish government per se being involved in this, in fact, they're fighting it. Instead, she's talking about criminal networks tied to things like the huge drug trade moving through Turkey.<br><br> <br>paulthompson <br>56. ...Still more key bits... <br> for people who can't open up PDF files:<br><br>...But, the staffer adds, some of the wiretaps (Edmonds) said she translated "mentioned (U.S.) government officials." Here may be an entirely different dimension to her case. Vanity Fair has established that around the time the Dickersons visited the Edmondses, in December 2001, Joel Robertz, an FBI special agent in Chicago, contacted Sibel and asked her to review some wiretaps. Some were several years old, others more recent; all had been generated by a counter-intelligence investigation that had its start in 1997. "It began in D.C.," says an F.B.I. counter-intelligence official who is familiar with the case file. But "it became apparent that Chicago was actually the center of what was going on."<br><br>The subject was explosive: what sounded like attempts to bribe elected members of Congress, both Democrat and Republican. "There was pressure within the bureau for a special prosecutor to be appointed and take the case on," the official says. Instead, his colleagues were told to alter the thrust of their investigation - away from elected politicians and toward appointed officials. "This is the reason why Ashcroft reacted to Sibel in such an extreme fashion," he says. "It was to keep this from coming out."<br><br>In her secure testimony, Edmonds disclosed some of what she recalled hearing. In all, says a source who was present, she managed to listen to more than 40 of the Chicago recordings supplied by Robertz. Many involved an F.B.I. target at the city's large Turkish Consulate, as well as members of the American-Turkish Council and the Assembly of Turkish American Associations.<br><br>---<br><br>Explosive stuff! Read the whole article!<br><br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x1674619">www.democraticunderground...02x1674619</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>Are you ready dbeach? I know you are<br> <br> <p></p><i></i>
seemslikeadream

Re: Petition to the Supreme Court filed yesterday

Postby seemslikeadream » Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:09 pm

The State Secrets privilege, which used to be a rarely invoked privilege created by the Supreme Court fifty years ago, is now an increasingly utilized tool by the Executive Branch to obtain the dismissal of civil cases that primarily alleged unlawful conduct by federal agencies. <!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>Zaid is also involved in representing Sibel Edmonds, a former FBI contract employee turned whistleblower, whose civil case against the Government was similarly dismissed due to the state secrets privilege. Her Petition for Certiorari to the Supreme Court was coincidently filed yesterday.[</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END-->link=<!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://news.baou.com/main.php?action=recent&rid=20390">news.baou.com/main.php?ac...&rid=20390</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END-->]news.baou.com/main.php?action=recent&rid=20390[/link] <p></p><i></i>
seemslikeadream

Return to 9/11