Animal Uprising Thread

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Animal Uprising Thread

Postby beeline » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:23 am

http://www.philly.com/philly/wires/ap/features/52998492.html

Posted on Tue, Aug. 11, 2009

Woman says she was repeatedly bitten by otters

The Associated Press

DRUMMOND, Wis. - An Austrian woman on vacation in Wisconsin is getting rabies shots after she said she was bitten by otters while swimming in a lake. Brigitte France, 51, told the Duluth News Tribune that she was swimming on Lake Owen near Drummond last Wednesday when three otters suddenly appeared. Feeling concerned, she swam to shore.

Just as she got there, she said, "there they were , one on the right leg and one on the left leg."

She said they swam off when she shook her legs, but not before biting her eight or nine times.

Although France said the bites didn't hurt much, she did go to a hospital, where doctors started a series of rabies shots.

France lives in Altach, Austria. Her husband is from Duluth, and they visit Lake Owen each summer.
beeline

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby beeline » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:24 am

http://www.philly.com/philly/wires/ap/features/52977137.html

Posted on Tue, Aug. 11, 2009

Fox shot after biting Mass. woman on the buttocks

The Associated Press

WHITMAN, Mass. - Police said an animal control officer has shot and wounded a fox suspected of biting a woman on the buttocks and tearing into the sneaker of a teenager in southeastern Massachusetts. Officer Robert Stokinger said the fox was shot and fled into the woods Monday. He said police officers who pursued the animal did not immediately find it.

A fox bit the woman as she was waxing her car on Franklin Street in Whitman shortly after 3 p.m. Sunday. She was given a series of precautionary rabies shots.

Several hours later, a fox also attacked a teenager on Winter Street, tearing into his sneaker but not piercing his foot.

Police saud they suspect a single, sick fox is responsible for the daylight attacks since the animals are normally skittish around people.
beeline

Postby beeline » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:27 am

Shit, there's a whole blog here:

http://attack.igorilla.com/
beeline

Postby Zap » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:59 am

Gorilla, You're a Desperado

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2O91T6ZeW0
Zap

Postby beeline » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:21 am

Posted on Wed, Aug. 19, 2009

Ga. couple killed by pack of wild dogs near home

KATE BRUMBACK

The Associated Press

LEXINGTON, Ga. - Sherry Schweder worried about a group of mixed-breed dogs she saw wandering near her home, a pack that authorities say mauled her and her husband to death along a rural road in northeast Georgia.

The 65-year-old animal lover was taking an evening stroll last week when she was attacked by the feral dogs, authorities believe. Her husband, Lothar Schweder, a retired professor, fell victim to the pack when he went out looking for her.

A shredded piece of shirt, some strands of hair and bloodstained dirt were all that remained Tuesday where the couple was killed. Paramedics who came to the grisly scene Saturday morning found the suspected attackers standing guard. While it's unclear exactly what happened because there were no witnesses, officials have rounded up 16 dogs they believe were involved.

Schweder had told one of her sons that no one seemed to be caring for the dogs, said Jim Fullington, special agent for the Georgia Bureau of Investigation.

Experts say the attack is extremely rare , so rare "you are more likely to be killed by a bolt of lightning than by a dog," said Adam Goldfarb, a spokesman for the Humane Society of the United States.

The dogs didn't belong to anyone, but a man who owns a house at the end of the road had been feeding them, said Oglethorpe County sheriff's Capt. Shalon Huff. The man told authorities the dogs never behaved aggressively toward him, and he did not believe the dogs had killed the couple.

"Sometimes the pack mentality can play a role. One dog gets aroused and that revs up his buddies," Goldfarb said.

The dogs were aggressive toward authorities who rounded them up using traps and tranquilizers, Huff said. At one point, a group of them cornered two people against a vehicle. There were no signs the dogs were rabid, Huff said.

Authorities believe Sherry Schweder went for an evening walk near her home on Friday, perhaps looking for one of her own dogs that had been missing for about a month.

At some point, Schweder was attacked. Preliminary autopsy results showed she died from animal bites.

Authorities believe Lothar Schweder, 77, later went looking for her in his car and came across his wife's body. There were signs of a scuffle, several shoe prints and what appeared to be paw prints in the mud, authorities said.

He may have tried to pull out his cell phone before he succumbed to the attack, Madison County Coroner James Mathews said. Autopsy results show Lothar Schweder also died of injuries from multiple animal bites.

A group of Jehovah's Witnesses walking in the same area discovered the bodies Saturday morning and called police. Four days later, a faint unpleasant smell still hung in the air.

There have been at least 20 deadly dog attacks in the U.S. this year, 22 in 2008 and 33 in 2007, said the Humane Society's Goldfarb, compared with about 75 million owned dogs. The National Weather Service says there were 27 lightning deaths so far this year, 28 in 2008 and 45 in 2007.

Dogs that attack also typically are not spayed or neutered, which can contribute to aggression, Goldfarb said. The dogs in the attack are not believed to have been sterilized.

With a voice that wavered at times, one of the couple's sons, Mark Schweder, described his parents as "kind people who lived a simple life out here."

He said his parents had divorced and his father moved to Kansas, where the elder Schweder ran the library and worked in public relations for a state penitentiary.

But after retiring in 2001, Lothar Schweder moved back to Athens to woo his ex-wife back.

"They always loved each other. My dad pursued, pursued and finally scored again," his son said with a smile.

His mother worked as a bibliographer at the University of Georgia's library. In the early 1970s, his father was a German and philosophy professor at the school, the son said.

Mark Schweder, who lives in Aiken, S.C., said his parents, especially his mother, were animal lovers. He also said he did not want charges to be brought against the man who fed the dogs.

"It's just a horrible accident," Mark Schweder said.

By Tuesday evening, 11 dogs and 5 puppies had been taken to the Madison-Oglethorpe animal shelter, where the staff was beginning court-ordered euthanizations.

Authorities were still trying to catch two other dogs seen in the area. Meanwhile, the shelter has been asked to look for homes for the Schweders' 20 cats and seven dogs.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/natio ... rhome.html[url][/url]
beeline

Postby elfismiles » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:25 pm

Ga. dog pack shows fine line between pet, predator
The Associated Press - Sharon Theimer - ‎Aug 22, 2009‎
WASHINGTON — A dog pack blamed for the killings of a Georgia couple is a reminder of the fragility of mankind's pact with canines. ...
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/art ... QD9A81LKG3

Could this kind of story be pushed to create an even greater sense of American spiraling out of control?
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Re: Animal Uprising Thread

Postby beeline » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:04 pm

Animal uprising?

Link

Pa. man arrested after giving mouth-to-mouth to possum
By Sam Wood

Some people will go to extraordinary lengths to save their pets. Tales of pet owners giving CPR to their cats and dogs are fairly common. But how many folks would try to resuscitate a wild animal?

Possums are prone to play dead, especially when threatened. Their eyes glaze over, their teeth are bared, and they secrete a rank stench from their glands.

But the possum lying along the Colonel Drake Highway on Thursday was doing none of that, troopers said. It was long-dead certified roadkill.

And Donald Wolfe was intent on bringing it back to life, troopers said.

Trooper Jamie Levier of the Punxsutawney barracks said witnesses saw Wolfe, 55, locking lips with the lifeless marsupial about 3 p.m. in a remote area about 80 miles northeast of Pittsburgh.

After receiving several calls, troopers arrested Wolfe along an isolated stretch of the highway and charged him with public drunkenness.

Levier says the Brookville man was "extremely intoxicated" and "did have his mouth in the area of the animal's mouth, I guess."

Another person saw Wolfe kneeling before the deceased animal and gesturing as though he were conducting a séance, Levier said.

In a release, state police listed the victim of the incident as "society." Wolfe will face the charges before a district judge in Jefferson County at an unscheduled date.

Wolfe, who does not have a listed phone number, could not be reached today for comment.
beeline

Postby Simulist » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:14 pm

Well that was weird.

If the poor thing hadn't already been dead, I'll bet his breath would've killed it.
"The most strongly enforced of all known taboos is the taboo against knowing who or what you really are behind the mask of your apparently separate, independent, and isolated ego."
    — Alan Watts
Simulist

Postby Pele'sDaughter » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:16 pm

I think I won't have whatever he's having. Ewwwwwwww. :lol2:
Don't believe anything they say.
And at the same time,
Don't believe that they say anything without a reason.
---Immanuel Kant
Pele'sDaughter

Postby 82_28 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:18 pm

Posted on boingboing just today! HAHAHAHA. It's awesome!

There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby Simulist » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:34 pm

Winston the Bulldog vs. Patrol Car

Winston: "Bumpers taste good, as a patrol car should."
"The most strongly enforced of all known taboos is the taboo against knowing who or what you really are behind the mask of your apparently separate, independent, and isolated ego."
    — Alan Watts
Simulist

Postby Maddy » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:41 pm

I can not stop laughing! Image
Be kind - it costs nothing. ~ Maddy ~
Maddy

Postby 82_28 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:46 pm

Everybody here has seen this spoof site, right? It has probably existed for at least 10 years and it is still up.

http://www.thedogisland.com/

Every time I see a photo of a number of dogs trotting around with one another, I crack the fuck up. Like in the banner image of the site.

The Dog Island is a radically essential new idea that has worked beautifully well. It has been a long, arduous journey, filled with many steps. Each of those steps has been accompanied by much detailed research.

Dog Island is a venture started by Xiao Min and Han Fei. After witnessing horrible events in their own country living in the city of Pexian, they swore to help as many dogs as they had heard about being hurt. This led them to move to the United States to join forces with the many great-hearted already at work.

Problematic Areas

After much work in the field of canine rescue and dog training & adoption, Xiao Minn and Han Fei soon realized that there were two critical areas of dogs' lives that were out of balance:

1) The ability to freely decide where to go
2) The ability to be part of a large social network of dogs

The restrictions on these two areas are caused by the use of leashes, and the fact that most dogs live in peoples' homes, most of the time waiting for the time when they can maybe meet one of their other dog friends.

They realized that dogs are severely missing in canine contact, and are severely missing in freedom. This is what they sought to bring to the dog world through Dog Island.

They share a great respect for these very complex animals, and have hired a team of beautiful people that also understand how fully multi-dimensional these animals we call dogs really are.

After many unsuccessful meetings with investors, they were contacted by Linda Reyes, a succesful and interesting woman from Manhattan. This was the magically-cohesive moment which helped Xiao and Han's vision leap into reality.

The three of them met with Linda's friend Diana Rogers, who has been a dogologist for many years in private practise. All four of the founding members shared a common love for dogs and a common vision of the right place for these beautiful creatures.

What they have all witnessed in canine development has been truly heart warming for all involved. They have learned a lot, and have made incredible spiritual progress due to this work. Dogs have been given the proper outlets for their their freedom-lust and their supreme social nature.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby 82_28 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:43 pm

Everybody's seen this right? Sure it's animal on animal, but like dogs may make me laugh, this clip never fails to jerk a few tears out of me.

Behold, the Battle at Kruger:

82_28

Postby Perelandra » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:52 pm

82_28 wrote:Everybody here has seen this spoof site, right? It has probably existed for at least 10 years and it is still up.

http://www.thedogisland.com/

I have never seen that. Pretty funny, "dogologist", ha.

Bad P wants to post something contrarian about dog-ownership, but I will restrain myself. However, there will be an animal uprising with a shovel if the neighbors' dog advances on me snarling and baying too many more times. Luckily they're moving, at least I can hang out in my yard in peace this summer.
“The past is never dead. It's not even past.” - William Faulkner
Perelandra

Next

Return to General Discussion