The Wikileaks Question

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: The Wikileaks Question

Postby Nordic » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:39 pm

Thousands upon thousands of documents, and they're apparently being cherry picked by the usual gatekeepers in order for them to reinforce their prejudices or their place in the game?

I alluded to this last night -- there's no way anbody could have read all of these already. It's like when they "wrote" the Patriot Act in, what, 6 hours, or whatever, far faster than anyone could have even TYPED it up.

I mean, maybe they're telling us, in part, what they have to tell us, based on the potentially embarrassing nature of the stuff, but it sure seems like out we're being played as usual.
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby JackRiddler » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:45 pm

Nordic wrote:Thousands upon thousands of documents, and they're apparently being cherry picked by the usual gatekeepers in order for them to reinforce their prejudices or their place in the game?

I alluded to this last night -- there's no way anbody could have read all of these already. It's like when they "wrote" the Patriot Act in, what, 6 hours, or whatever, far faster than anyone could have even TYPED it up.

I mean, maybe they're telling us, in part, what they have to tell us, based on the potentially embarrassing nature of the stuff, but it sure seems like out we're being played as usual.

But that would be the papers doing the playing, not Wikileaks.

The download site on Google is currently down. Overwhelmed, or... "overwhelmed"?

Has anyone here downloaded "History Insurance"?
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby anothershamus » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:49 pm

I am re-posting cause of all the wiki threads:

Get'em while they're hot! I guess it's called cablegate, here's a pdf of the whole thing. I didn't down load it but here it is.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15863326/cableg ... ks.org.zip

Here's the official wikileaks site:

http://cablegate.wikileaks.org/

On edit:

Quote:
Secret US Embassy Cables

Wikileaks began on Sunday November 28th publishing 251,287 leaked United States embassy cables, the largest set of confidential documents ever to be released into the public domain. The documents will give people around the world an unprecedented insight into US Government foreign activities.

The cables, which date from 1966 up until the end of February this year, contain confidential communications between 274 embassies in countries throughout the world and the State Department in Washington DC. 15,652 of the cables are classified Secret.

The embassy cables will be released in stages over the next few months. The subject matter of these cables is of such importance, and the geographical spread so broad, that to do otherwise would not do this material justice.

The cables show the extent of US spying on its allies and the UN; turning a blind eye to corruption and human rights abuse in "client states"; backroom deals with supposedly neutral countries; lobbying for US corporations; and the measures US diplomats take to advance those who have access to them.

This document release reveals the contradictions between the US’s public persona and what it says behind closed doors – and shows that if citizens in a democracy want their governments to reflect their wishes, they should ask to see what’s going on behind the scenes.

Every American schoolchild is taught that George Washington – the country’s first President – could not tell a lie. If the administrations of his successors lived up to the same principle, today’s document flood would be a mere embarrassment. Instead, the US Government has been warning governments -- even the most corrupt -- around the world about the coming leaks and is bracing itself for the exposures.

The full set consists of 251,287 documents, comprising 261,276,536 words (seven times the size of "The Iraq War Logs", the world's previously largest classified information release).

The cables cover from 28th December 1966 to 28th February 2010 and originate from 274 embassies, consulates and diplomatic missions.
How to explore the data

Search for events that you remember that happened for example in your country. You can browse by date or search for an origin near you.

Pick out interesting events and tell others about them. Use twitter, reddit, mail whatever suits your audience best.

)'(
anothershamus

Postby eyeno » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:54 pm

"Just State Department cables, right? It's like reading a diary aloud. Embarrassing, but it hardly gives the game away. The Deep State rolls along.

And you couldn't buy this spin. Well, we couldn't:

WikiLeaks documents reveal Arab states' anxiety over Iran
http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/11/28/us.wik ... tml?hpt=T1"

You said it more neatly than I.
eyeno

Postby seemslikeadream » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:58 pm

GOP Rep. asks Clinton to declare WikiLeaks a ‘foreign terrorist organization’

By Stephen C. Webster
Sunday, November 28th, 2010 -- 7:20 pm

A Republican Congressman from New York has invented a new definition for the word "terrorism" that doesn't require guns, bombs, vast underground networks of sleeper cells, a criminal conspiracy or even violence.

All that's needed to be a terrorist, according to Rep. Peter King, is a website and some inconvenient information.

That's why King sent a letter to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and Attorney General Eric Holder on Sunday, demanding that whistleblower website WikiLeaks be deemed a "foreign terrorist organization" and it's founder declared a terror ringleader.

"To me they are a clear and present enemy to the United States of America," he told a CBS radio reporter on Sunday.

King said the website's release of sensitive -- but not "top secret" -- US diplomatic cables was "worse than a military attack."

Declaring the site a "terrorist" group, King suggested, would allow the US "to seize their funds and go after anyone who provides them with any help or contributions or assistance whatsoever."

He also called for site founder Julian Assange to be prosecuted under the Espionage Act.

That may prove difficult, however, given that WikiLeaks did not steal any of the documents it released to the media -- they was given to them by a whistleblower, allegedly a young soldier named Bradley Manning.

That sequence of events, of a whistleblower contacting a high profile news venue with explosive information that needs to be made public, happens in newsrooms all across the country every week.

Though inconvenient for officials, the revelation of information contained in any of the WikiLeaks files, much like the Pentagon Papers amid the Vietnam war, is crucial to maintaining an enlightened public -- a point the US Supreme Court made abundantly clear in New York Times Co. v. United States in 1971.

"In seeking injunctions against these newspapers and in its presentation to the Court, the Executive Branch seems to have forgotten the essential purpose and history of the First Amendment," Justices Hugo Black and William Douglas wrote, taking the side of the Times, which had recently published what was then considered the largest cache of secret military information in US history.

"In the First Amendment the Founding Fathers gave the free press the protection it must have to fulfill its essential role in our democracy," they continued. "The press was to serve the governed, not the governors. The Government's power to censor the press was abolished so that the press would remain forever free to censure the Government. The press was protected so that it could bare the secrets of government and inform the people. Only a free and unrestrained press can effectively expose deception in government."

After the release of the Pentagon Papers, Justices Black and Douglas opined that "newspapers nobly did precisely that which the Founders hoped and trusted they would do."

According to Daniel Ellsberg, the man responsible for leaking the Pentagon Papers, WikiLeaks has done just the same.

Concurring with the court's majority, Justice Potter Stewart added: "In the absence of the governmental checks and balances present in other areas of our national life, the only effective restraint upon executive policy and power in the areas of national defense and international affairs may lie in an enlightened citizenry - in an informed and critical public opinion which alone can here protect the values of democratic government. For this reason, it is perhaps here that a press that is alert, aware, and free most vitally serves the basic purpose of the First Amendment. For without an informed and free press there cannot be an enlightened people."

“[The WikiLeaks] documents serve an important public interest, illuminating the goals, successes, compromises and frustrations of American diplomacy in a way that other accounts cannot match," the Times added.

“The Attorney General and I don’t always agree on different issues, but I believe on this one, he and I strongly agree that there should be a criminal prosecution [of WikiLeaks],” Rep. King told CBS radio.

Attorney General Holder has not made any announcement regarding a criminal prosecution of the site or it's founder. The White House strongly condemned the site's actions on Sunday, calling the publication of State Dept. documents a continuation of a violation of law.

King's call for prosecution was echoed Sunday by Sens. Lindsey Graham (R-GA), Clair McCaskill (D-MO) and former State Department official Liz Cheney.

Julian Assange is currently wanted for questioning by Swedish authorities who are investigating a claim of rape and molestation. Assange has maintained that the charges are baseless and part of a campaign to discredit him.
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby Simulist » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:04 pm

Peter King is a putz.
"The most strongly enforced of all known taboos is the taboo against knowing who or what you really are behind the mask of your apparently separate, independent, and isolated ego."
    — Alan Watts
Simulist

Postby justdrew » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:04 pm

I hadn't realized this was from '66 to present. That's going to be of some historical significance, this'll be deep, it'll be mined for years to come.
By 1964 there were 1.5 million mobile phone users in the US
justdrew

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby wintler2 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:05 pm

Jesus wept. The mainstream media spins the content of the leaks and supposedly independent thinkers here lap it up and say "well there you go, its all a psyop". Talk about projection.

[quote="JR"]Has anyone here downloaded "History Insurance"?[/url]
Yes, and i'm one of over 2000 seeds for it right now. Knowing that there are 2000 other ppl out there willing to give a damn makes stomaching the fools here alot easier.
"Wintler2, you are a disgusting example of a human being, the worst kind in existence on God's Earth. This is not just my personal judgement.." BenD

Research question: are all god botherers authoritarians?
wintler2

Postby 2012 Countdown » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:20 pm

Much too early to be making verdicts. I think it is just that everyone likes to play armchair analyst. Trying to guess by reading tea leaves or their preferred means of divination.
I say let the researchers research. 'Hold your horses', so to speak. What is going to be immediately popularized/pushed isn't necessarily going to be the most juicy item. The basement dwellers and earth diggers need time to connect the more interesting dots to statements and events I am sure.
Last edited by 2012 Countdown on Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
George Carlin ~ "Its called 'The American Dream', because you have to be asleep to believe it."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acLW1vFO-2Q
2012 Countdown

Postby 2012 Countdown » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:22 pm

wintler2 wrote:Jesus wept. The mainstream media spins the content of the leaks and supposedly independent thinkers here lap it up and say "well there you go, its all a psyop". Talk about projection.

JR wrote:Has anyone here downloaded "History Insurance"?

Yes, and i'm one of over 2000 seeds for it right now. Knowing that there are 2000 other ppl out there willing to give a damn makes stomaching the fools here alot easier.

I salute you sir. You are an everyman hero.
:thumbsup
George Carlin ~ "Its called 'The American Dream', because you have to be asleep to believe it."
2012 Countdown

Postby eyeno » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:29 pm

I searched "History Insurance" and found only two references with no links in this forum. Where can this information be obtained?
eyeno

Postby 2012 Countdown » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:38 pm

Now is a good time to download some "history insurance" https://thepiratebay.org/torrent/572313 ... _insurance
5:04 PM Nov 25th via web

wikileaks
http://twitter.com/wikileaks

========

BTW, current tweets-

Beyond the spin: WikiLeaks v. State Dep correspondence http://is.gd/hVLap
2 minutes ago via web

Cablegate: What's coming up as the weeks go by http://public.tableausoftware.com/views/tags/Subject
5 minutes ago via web

Tomorrow we will provide information on how other media groups can apply to for embargo access to #cablegate info.
about 2 hours ago via web

LEAK: US Embassy Cables http://cablegate.wikileaks.org #cablegate
about 2 hours ago via web

Guardian's Cablegate coverage is out http://www.guardian.co.uk/ #cablegate
about 5 hours ago via web

Los secretos de la diplomacia de Estados Unidos, al descubierto http://www.elpais.com/documentossecretos/ #cablegate
about 5 hours ago via web

Tomorrow's Der Spiegel's cover today: http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/g ... oodbig.jpg
about 6 hours ago via web

Please use #cablegate to discuss the pending US Embassy cables release.
about 6 hours ago via web

El Pais, Le Monde, Speigel, Guardian & NYT will publish many US embassy cables tonight, even if WikiLeaks goes down
about 7 hours ago via web
2012 Countdown

Postby 2012 Countdown » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:50 pm

WikiLeaks embassy cables: download the key data and see how it breaks down
The WikiLeaks embassy cables release has produced a lot of stories but does it produce any useful data? We explain what it includes and how it breaks down - plus you can download the key data for every cable
• Get the data

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog ... bles-data#
2012 Countdown

Postby JackRiddler » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:28 pm

Jeff wrote:Just State Department cables, right? It's like reading a diary aloud. Embarrassing, but it hardly gives the game away. The Deep State rolls along.

Jeff, you're doing #1 from the OP. ("They aren't releasing what a given critic would consider important.")

And you couldn't buy this spin. Well, we couldn't:

WikiLeaks documents reveal Arab states' anxiety over Iran

That one's covered too: the spin belongs to others.

Spin is amazing, no? Show me the same cables, and I see corrupt US-propped dictators and kings baying for another American war on another Muslim country. How do you think their subjects are likely to react to that?

We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby wintler2 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:36 pm

eyeno wrote:I searched "History Insurance" and found only two references with no links in this forum. Where can this information be obtained?

Via peer-to-peer (P2P) networks, e.g. bittorrent or bitwise.
If new to it:
a) read the link above for background
b) download & install torrent application
c) get the torrent tracker (click on 'download this torrent' at link)
d) leave your computer online with torrent app. running, it'll find and download all the files' bits as and when they're available. Its a 1.4Gb file so it'll take a while depending on your connection, but theres lots of ppl hosting/seeding the file, yay!
e) Make sure you have current virusware running, just in case.
Theres ppl here who know more than me, pls add anything i forgot/don't know.
"Wintler2, you are a disgusting example of a human being, the worst kind in existence on God's Earth. This is not just my personal judgement.." BenD

Research question: are all god botherers authoritarians?
wintler2

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion