Actor Randy Quaid and his wife seeking refuge in Canada

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Actor Randy Quaid and his wife seeking refuge in Canada

Postby Canadian_watcher » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:20 am

TheDuke wrote:
Canadian_watcher wrote:yeah, it reminds me of the joke where the wife says, "I wouldn't even BE at the pearly gates if my husband hadn't beaten me to death for telling him to pick up his stinking underwear from the shower floor." this sexist stuff is hilarious! especially when it has ZERO bearing on the topic at hand!

You need to chill the fuck out. Ok so the joke was bound to offend someone but it's mildly offensive at best. The notion that "all wives hen peck" is a dumb and outdated generalisation but this woman, at least for me, seems to fit the stereotype.

I saw a rather shrill woman telling her husband saying "tell them about this, tell them about that", "that's not true", interrupting him when he talked and when she did say "let me speak" I 'd say it was purely for the benefit of the camera. This interview along with the earlier written piece do, in my opinion, present a woman with a high degree of control over her husband and probably driving this whole 'thing' with Randy going along for the ride.

But yeah you're right, I was somehow making light of domestic violence FFS

There are so very many layers of bull in what you've just written that I'd need heavy equipment to get through it. Although I'm capable of deconstructing it and demonstrating to you how, in those brief paragraphs, you have supported many evils that stem from entrenched patriarchy, I'm not going to waste my time.
Satire is a sort of glass, wherein beholders do generally discover everybody's face but their own.-- Jonathan Swift

When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift
Canadian_watcher

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby TheDuke » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:11 am

There are so very many layers of bull in what you've just written that I'd need heavy equipment to get through it. Although I'm capable of deconstructing it and demonstrating to you how, in those brief paragraphs, you have supported many evils that stem from entrenched patriarchy, I'm not going to waste my time.

Yeah. From the way she stares at him psychopathically while he is speaking. Compares herself to a Sri Lankan amputee. Talks over him in a way that if situations were reversed you would be ropeable, you are a sexist pig and full of shit.

She tells him what to say in a very disturbing way.
TheDuke

Postby Jeff » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:14 am

TheDuke wrote:You need to chill the fuck out. Ok so the joke was bound to offend someone but it's mildly offensive at best.

Ideally though, I'd like that best to not be good enough, particularly with respect to matters of race and gender. Especially in context of the discussion the board's been having recently.

And with that, another tune from Randy Quaid:

Jeff
Site Admin

Postby justdrew » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:17 am

TheDuke wrote:

Yeah. From the way she stares at him psychopathically while he is speaking. Compares herself to a Sri Lankan amputee. Talks over him in a way that if situations were reversed you would be ropeable, you are a sexist pig and full of shit.

why do you think they've done ANYTHING wrong? because TMZ/lamestream media told you they were ka-razzy.

Hollywood weasels were ripping them off, for years, FFS.
By 1964 there were 1.5 million mobile phone users in the US
justdrew

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby TheDuke » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:22 am

justdrew wrote:
TheDuke wrote:

why do you think they've done ANYTHING wrong? because TMZ/lamestream media told you they were ka-razzy.

Full disclosure, I like Randy Quaid
TheDuke

Postby justdrew » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:58 am

TheDuke wrote:
justdrew wrote:
TheDuke wrote:

Full disclosure, I like Randy Quaid

that's cool, but I think you're overboard on diagnosing a "stare" as "psychopathic" - I didn't feel disturbed at their interactions at all and I really think you've inadvertently been primed to see it that way.
By 1964 there were 1.5 million mobile phone users in the US
justdrew

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby streeb » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:21 pm

but I think you're overboard on diagnosing a "stare" as "psychopathic" - I didn't feel disturbed at their interactions at all and I really think you've inadvertently been primed to see it that way.

Indeed. Quaid was invited to host the concert by a friend of mine, who took Randy and Evi for dinner at one point. He's a guy I trust, he's certainly no dummy, and he's only ever described the couple to me as charming and perfectly rational. The Quaids he describes aren't the Quaids I've been reading about.
streeb

Postby kool maudit » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:24 pm

Canadian_watcher wrote:There are so very many layers of bull in what you've just written that I'd need heavy equipment to get through it. Although I'm capable of deconstructing it and demonstrating to you how, in those brief paragraphs, you have supported many evils that stem from entrenched patriarchy, I'm not going to waste my time.

i am not entirely sure that it also wasn't a tiny bit racist.
Last edited by kool maudit on Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kool maudit

Postby kool maudit » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:29 pm

EDIT: forget it. i never learn.

ri is for reading about neat theories on UFOs and occult curiosities. the tiresome '90s-style politics/causes are better left alone. there is nothing to be gained from deriding or otherwise engaging these narratives.
Last edited by kool maudit on Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kool maudit

Postby streeb » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:31 pm

This piece from RadarOnline relies on a source it describes as "a Vancouver-based music critic". I've never heard of the fucker before, and being a Vancouver-based musician, you'd think I would have. Which means I suppose that either I'm getting old and out-of-it, or (more likely), RadarOnline is talking out of its arse.

link to cheap and hastily composed RadarOnline nonsense
streeb

Postby TheDuke » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:44 pm

Is Hugh still around? Would he make anything of the announcement of a remake of Total Recall, which is a film about a man named Quaid with implanted memories? This shit just got real!

http://www.sify.com/news/eva-mendes-may ... ibfbc.html
TheDuke

Postby Canadian_watcher » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:16 pm

kool maudit wrote:EDIT: forget it. i never learn.

ri is for reading about neat theories on UFOs and occult curiosities. the tiresome '90s-style politics/causes are better left alone. there is nothing to be gained from deriding or otherwise engaging these narratives.

come try the misogyny thread!
Satire is a sort of glass, wherein beholders do generally discover everybody's face but their own.-- Jonathan Swift

When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift
Canadian_watcher

Postby Nordic » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:18 pm

Canadian_watcher wrote:

Ha. I think I'm gonna sit that one out from now on. Every time I post something there, I feel like I'm inflicting pain on someone. Inadvertently of course. It's kind of an unpleasant sensation, so I'm just gonna shut up over there.
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby Canadian_watcher » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:41 am

Nordic wrote:
Canadian_watcher wrote:

Ha. I think I'm gonna sit that one out from now on. Every time I post something there, I feel like I'm inflicting pain on someone. Inadvertently of course. It's kind of an unpleasant sensation, so I'm just gonna shut up over there.

I was directing that at kool maudit who seems to want to discuss gender issues, racism and that sort of thing.

Canadian_watcher

Postby 8bitagent » Wed May 11, 2011 3:58 pm

Another hollywood personality killed, this time a much beloved music coordinator for MTV and other shows
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/42988933/ ... rtainment/
"Do you know who I am? I am the arm, and I sound like this..."-man from another place, twin peaks fire walk with me
8bitagent

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion