Is Whitley Strieber Advocating Implants?

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Is Whitley Strieber Advocating Implants?

Postby guruilla » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:45 pm

Hammer of Los wrote:Perhaps Whitley Strieber is an especially illuminating subject.

But what do you think I can learn from him? I think what most people get from him is confusion and anxiety. That's what he exudes.

There's two answers to that I can think of. One is what I've touched on various times, inc. in the article I wrote, that Strieber's fragmented psyche is like a magnified mirror for our collective psyche, making him a really interesting case study for anyone interested in psychology, paranoia, the pitfalls of premature illumination/initiation, and suchlike. The other answer is more obvious, and that is that some of what he has written is pretty much unique in the field of literature. Is it likely to create confusion? Maybe, but then so does some of Edgar Allan's Poe's stuff. Confusion, especially if it's the result of cognitive dissonance, isn't only a bad thing. For a lot of people, the contradictions, confusion, and intrigue around Strieber make them want to stay away from him. For me, it's almost impossible to do so for long, because I have yet to reach any kind of satisfactory conclusion about him. Plus, anyone capable of producing a work like The Key (which few people around here have read, apparently) has to be kept an eye on.

And, at the risk of going further out on the limb I'm currently perched on than is strategically sound at RI, I still lean towards a view that his accounts of Imaginal intervention are authentic, in essence, and that they are windows, not only into Strieber's unconscious, but also my own. (Which might be a good argument for staying away from the books, too.)
It is a lot easier to fool people than show them how they have been fooled.
guruilla

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby peartreed » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:02 pm

Whether or not our entire society is cult-like could be an interesting discussion in itself, but I tend to see society more
as a continuum of our tribal traditions, including the reliance upon self-appointed shaman, witch doctors and clergy
who need to be first subjected to critical evaluation, discernment and discriminating testing of themselves and their dogma
to see if that truly serves the best interests of the tribe (or cult). Since Whitley Strieber has publicly positioned himself
as a uniquely informed and inspiring intermediary to the arriving aliens, he deserves our examination as such a
wannabe interlocutor and oracle.

When our examination of his credo further indicates an infusion of information asserting intrusion,contact or invasion from
Outer Spaces, altered states, other places, alternate dimensions, the imaginal realm, or the unconscious, and then includes strange
entities, it behooves us to try to make sure that the manifestation isn't just a megalomaniacal mission for power, a manifesting mental
disorder, or a meme manipulated by mind control programming. Especially since it appears to be designed to capture
and coerce a credulous cult congregation for further self-aggrandizement, exploitation and commercial conquest with products.

Probably like yourself and others here I was drawn into this field of fringe phenomena from very personal, direct and riveting
experience with the so-far- inexplicable, so I'm here to find any reliable and honest explanations and answers from other experiencers.
In the process I've met promoters like Whitley who claim exclusive personal knowledge of revelations - available with the purchase
of their books, subscriptions to their site, listening to their programs sponsored by endorsed products, or buying a tickett o their
next conference speech. It's often that commercial promotion that ultimately fuels their phenomenal claims too.

Corporate and institutional power mongers and their research marketers in the mass media also tend to test the outer envelopes
and outposts of society, often seeking unconventional thought and nonconformity to preview their latest programming techniques amongst
the presumably more credulous and influenceable consumers and psychographic profiles convening at the wide-eyed "lunatic fringes".
Even military and intel agency mind control testing allegedly first targets and focuses on "superstitious" populations that might be more susceptible to the supernatural and folkloric fears (like politically targeted Soviet or Third World populations). So we're a litmus test.

And the "leading lights" of ufology and conspiracy theory are a favorite target of intel testing. (Like USAF Agent Doty demonstrated with Dr. Paul Bennewitz, as but one of many examples). The sites for the paranormally predisposed are also a preferred, even phenomenal focus group.

So all the sympathy and empathy and identification in the cosmos is not reason enough to endorse Whitley Strieber as a reliable reporter of reality, let alone a seer. We need to subject him to the same scrutiny as any shaman in a tribe that turns to the wise to guide it onwards to Glory.

peartreed
peartreed

Postby Spiro C. Thiery » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:11 am

^ Nice post, peartreed. ^
peartreed wrote:Corporate and institutional power mongers and their research marketers in the mass media also tend to test the outer envelopes
and outposts of society, often seeking unconventional thought and nonconformity to preview their latest programming techniques amongst
the presumably more credulous and influenceable consumers and psychographic profiles convening at the wide-eyed "lunatic fringes".
Even military and intel agency mind control testing allegedly first targets and focuses on "superstitious" populations that might be more susceptible to the supernatural and folkloric fears (like politically targeted Soviet or Third World populations). So we're a litmus test.
peartreed

One should not forget that those who would be the masters of our domain(s) are not necessarily as competent and/or powerful as many believe; more specifically, a lot less powerful than even me (you) think.

At the end of the day, it may be that there is no powerful entity/organisation/cabal as it were, just a bunch of keystone cops who have happened upon some pretty startling technology and continue to use their privileged position to maintain control over the terrestrial resources, and perhaps in an effort to conquer "the next level," they engage in folly which is as damaging to themselves as it is anyone else.

And if there is some kind of all-power (outside of scientific law) I like to return occasionally to RAW's observation: that to see the Illuminati (or equivalent) as working against oneself (or against the common good, if you like) is living "a loser script."

The reason I hesitated to post here originally was--while I dislike WS and what I see as his opportunism--I sympathise with those who cull his material for knowledge. I would just urge caution, because it is too easy to forget or downplay the profound importance of what HoL said on the subject:
Hammer of Los wrote:Perhaps Whitley Strieber is an especially illuminating subject.
But what do you think I can learn from him? I think what most people get from him is confusion and anxiety. That's what he exudes.

There is too much despair amidst old Whit's attempts to illuminate, and anyone else's attempt to get to the bottom of that risks not getting to the bottom of anything except one's own despair.

Cooper: Leland. Leland, the time has come for you to seek the path.
Your soul has set you face to face with the clear light and you are about to experience it in its reality,
wherein all things are like the void and cloudless sky and the naked spotless intellect is like a transparent vacuum
without circumference or center. Leland, in this moment, know yourself, and abide in that state.
Look to the light, Leland, find the light.

(remind me to remind myself what this reminded me of) :wallhead:
Seeing the world through rose-colored latex.
Spiro C. Thiery

Postby Hammer of Los » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:17 am

guruilla wrote:Strieber's fragmented psyche is like a magnified mirror for our collective psyche, making him a really interesting case study for anyone interested in psychology, paranoia, the pitfalls of premature illumination/initiation, and suchlike.

I wonder exactly what sort of premature illumination/initiation you think Strieber has undergone.

To suggest that he is a man liberated in any way from personal prejudice and preference is clearly contradicted by his words and behaviour. In other words, I think he is as unilluminated as they come. He seems mired in profound ignorance. I'm sorry, I have not read The Key. Truth is, I am far too busy washing up and laundering and a wide variety of other tasks essential to the daily life of myself and several beloved others to read another single word of what Whitley has to say.

If he wasn't/isn't himself a subject of a program(s), then no-one was. There is no more obvious a candidate.

I shouldn't quote the whole lot again really, but I have to say the following was remarkable in both its clarity and insight. Peartreed really said it all. I am in awe;

theamazingpeartreed wrote:Whether or not our entire society is cult-like could be an interesting discussion in itself, but I tend to see society more
as a continuum of our tribal traditions, including the reliance upon self-appointed shaman, witch doctors and clergy
who need to be first subjected to critical evaluation, discernment and discriminating testing of themselves and their dogma
to see if that truly serves the best interests of the tribe (or cult). Since Whitley Strieber has publicly positioned himself
as a uniquely informed and inspiring intermediary to the arriving aliens, he deserves our examination as such a
wannabe interlocutor and oracle.

When our examination of his credo further indicates an infusion of information asserting intrusion,contact or invasion from
Outer Spaces, altered states, other places, alternate dimensions, the imaginal realm, or the unconscious, and then includes strange
entities, it behooves us to try to make sure that the manifestation isn't just a megalomaniacal mission for power, a manifesting mental
disorder, or a meme manipulated by mind control programming. Especially since it appears to be designed to capture
and coerce a credulous cult congregation for further self-aggrandizement, exploitation and commercial conquest with products.

Probably like yourself and others here I was drawn into this field of fringe phenomena from very personal, direct and riveting
experience with the so-far- inexplicable, so I'm here to find any reliable and honest explanations and answers from other experiencers.
In the process I've met promoters like Whitley who claim exclusive personal knowledge of revelations - available with the purchase
of their books, subscriptions to their site, listening to their programs sponsored by endorsed products, or buying a tickett o their
next conference speech. It's often that commercial promotion that ultimately fuels their phenomenal claims too.

Corporate and institutional power mongers and their research marketers in the mass media also tend to test the outer envelopes

And the "leading lights" of ufology and conspiracy theory are a favorite target of intel testing. (Like USAF Agent Doty demonstrated with Dr. Paul Bennewitz, as but one of many examples). The sites for the paranormally predisposed are also a preferred, even phenomenal focus group.

So all the sympathy and empathy and identification in the cosmos is not reason enough to endorse Whitley Strieber as a reliable reporter of reality, let alone a seer. We need to subject him to the same scrutiny as any shaman in a tribe that turns to the wise to guide it onwards to Glory.

Oh, and Spiro, I love you too!

ps Personally, I find Aeolas Kephas a more interesting subject than Whitley Strieber. You sure know how to push my buttons. The Lucid View discussed a fair few themes I had been meditating on myself for some time. I had thought I was the only one! Ha!

:wink
Hammer of Los

Postby Sounder » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:49 am

Fun thread and its great to hear from you Aeolas.

Striberians strike me as a bunch of anxiety addicts.

Meh... gotta run
All these things will continue as long as coercion remains a central element of our mentality.
Sounder

Postby LilyPatToo » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:16 pm

Interesting about the anxiety mentions...I've suffered from anxiety for as long as I can remember and it's true that some of Strieber's ideas have caused my anxiety levels to spike. One particularly painful one (back when I had a front alter who was spiritual and believed in survival of the soul) was that certain deaths extinguished souls. Another was that the beautiful, profoundly loving light spoken of by NDEers was actually a trap set by entities intent upon enslaving the soul (inside of machinery of some kind, I think he said) for eternity. Horrible images, even for an agnostic like my current front self.

Survivors of long-term trauma are prone to severe anxiety disorders and I assumed this was where mine originated and that he probably suffered from the same affliction. I tried to remind myself that this was a gifted horror writer who drew upon some extremely dark personal material. And that perhaps it was good for him to externalize all that toxic stuff. But by the time he banned me I was beginning to see that absorbing that kind of despair on a daily basis was an awful thing to do to myselves. I looked around at his most fervent followers and saw them as "bipolar despair junkies" who spouted New Age sweetness and light at all times...except when their guru made a post or journal entry that whipped them into a near-frenzy of terror and hopelessness, mixed with an icky sexual-seeming bliss at the thought of being the prey of the grays :barf:

Yuck, to put it mildly. Talk about Stockholm Syndrome and programmed helplessness. So I kept more and more to the Witness thread where mind control was still being discussed, despite the disgust of most of UCs other posters. There, the dark stuff wasn't glorified, it was deplored. The perps weren't near-deified, they were identified when possible and we attempted to "understand them to death" in order to protect ourselves better from exploitation. It struck me as very odd that it was vilified as the darkest, nastiest thread on UC, when actually it was probably the sanest and healthiest. And I say that even in the face of the fact that most of us posting there were terribly damaged and struggling to waken from Whitley's alien dream into a reality of lifetimes spent in human-instigated slavery. At least we were trying to escape.

LilyPat
LilyPatToo

Postby Crow » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:43 pm

Since so few other Key readers have popped up here, I thought I'd give my input.

I am not a Strieber acolyte, but I have followed his writing for years. Like the poster upthread, I found Strieber's alien books to be the most terrifying I have ever read. When I first read them, my spirituality was in its first bloom, and I found his insights new and intoxicating. As I've grown spiritually, I've come across a few similar ideas embedded elsewhere, but never the same concoction. I'm convinced that a small portion of Strieber's spiritual thought is entirely new; the rest is a heady but genuine mix of other influences. That alone is exciting to me.

At minimum, Strieber deserves respect for his long-standing and unflinching environmental advocacy. His website can be somewhat alarmist, but over the last decade it's still been a good resource to learn about what may be to coming environmentally, whether it's methane bubbling out of Siberian bogs or the possibility of sudden drastic climate change a la "The Day After Tomorrow." It takes a brave soul and a rigorous mind to behold this mountain of depressing information and not look away.

He is also one of the few writers out there who will acknowledge the alien presence among us while simultaneously leaving it as the mystery and open question that it must remain. (Jeff Wells is another. Props.)

I don't have any direct or compelling "alien" type experiences of my own, but at this point I feel the enormous evidence of other people's contact points undoubtedly to something real. When you get really talking to people about this issue, which is hard to do and often feels more intimate than any other topic, they will often tell you of their own experiences or of an intuitive sense that something is indeed going on. Whether that reality is partly or wholly Imaginal (if I am using Mr. Kephas's term correctly) is secondary to me because I know that the psychic world is, in its own way, extremely fucking real.

I have the first edition of The Key. I've only read it a few times, but I've held on to it through multiple moves and bookshelf purgings. There is plenty in it that rings true to me, but I also feel I am in possession of an important document that, down the line, may become valuable. Not valuable in the "first edition of Superman" way necessarily, though that could be, but valuable in that people will be looking back at it later as the start of something important. It may hold clues to something we need later.

I do think that some of Strieber's work is less compelling than the rest. I guess that's true for any of us. The Secret School, for instance, read like something half-exhumed from the grave of memory, with a lot of pre-conceived beliefs about Mars super-imposed on top. Judging from the essays that Kephas posted, the new edition of The Key may be similar -- an attempt to make genuine channelled material (I'm using the word "channelled" in the loosest sense) fit more closely to Strieber's current preconceived ideas about what it ought to mean, when the unfiltered reality, "whines" and all, is usually probably closer to the truth.

It is not all that unusual for visionaries to write an exegesis of how they would like their channelled works to be understood; Crowley did the same thing with The Book of the Law, a work with which The Key undoubtedly has many similarities. (The fact that both works were "received" in hotel rooms? I don't know what to chalk that up to, except that maybe I should travel more.)
Crow

Postby guruilla » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:38 pm

[N.B: This post overlapped with Crow's.]

peartreed wrote:So all the sympathy and empathy and identification in the cosmos is not reason enough to endorse Whitley Strieber as a reliable reporter of reality, let alone a seer. We need to subject him to the same scrutiny as any shaman in a tribe that turns to the wise to guide it onwards to Glory.

Not sure what the second part of your last sentence means, but otherwise I'm in accord all the way. And isn't that what this thread's for, to subject Whitley to scrutiny, as only a bunch of rigorous intuitives can? :happybanana: :grouphug:

Spiro C. Thiery wrote:There is too much despair amidst old Whit's attempts to illuminate, and anyone else's attempt to get to the bottom of that risks not getting to the bottom of anything except one's own despair.

So what is more worth getting to the bottom of? As long as it's there, constantly trying to keep our heads above water while it pulls at us from beneath is only going to tire us out in the end. "Not out the darkness but through."

Doesn't a full spectrum of human experience include laughter and despair - which would make the former a much needed antidote for the latter? That's my limited experience: the deeper the despair I plummet into, the deeper the belly laughs once I make it out the other side (which so far, thankfully, I have). Wallowing in despair is a very different thing, of course, and from what I've heard of him, Whitley isn't doing much belly laughing. A good, maybe the best, measure of a teacher/teaching's value is how much humor there is in it, and unlike Castaneda, Strieber does fall short here. At the same time, one of the lines in The Key is "Find laughter, find freedom" (or if you prefer the original version, "...find God.") But The Key is also the source of a couple of those icky, despair-inducing ideas which LilyPat cites, and they didn't leave my psyche entirely unruffled either. (LilyP, whatever you do, don't read 2012!) So The Key, and probably all Strieber's material, does contain apparent misinformation: but how many books are there that don't?

Hammer of Los wrote:I wonder exactly what sort of premature illumination/initiation you think Strieber has undergone.

To suggest that he is a man liberated in any way from personal prejudice and preference is clearly contradicted by his words and behavior. In other words, I think he is as unilluminated as they come. He seems mired in profound ignorance.

Imprecise use of language on my part - most (or all) of us don't know even what "illumination" means, much less the premature kind. What I meant was, if Strieber had an externally triggered "gnosis"-experience (with aliens cum operatives in place of entheogens), and if his ego wasn't sufficiently prepared, then the long-term effect would be deranging. In the face of a massive influx of the unknown, the ego either surrenders and lets itself be re-formed, or it shores up its crumbling walls and does all it can to reinforce them from future shocks to the system. One way to do that would be by clinging to "personal prejudice and preference" and miring itself safely back in ignorance - even while retaining the memory of the "illumination" experience (and the knowledge it gave), which it can then use to fortify its sense of self-importance, invulnerability, and righteousness. In a way, Strieber's rants and hissy fits are to his credit, because at least he isn't trying to assume an external guise of holier-than-thou wisdom: he acts like a child and lets all his neuroses show, even if he doesn't realize he's doing it.

Hammer of Los wrote:ps Personally, I find Aeolas Kephas a more interesting subject than Whitley Strieber.

:frightened: :baghead: :whistling:

LilyPatToo wrote: ... the beautiful, profoundly loving light spoken of by NDEers was actually a trap set by entities intent upon enslaving the soul (inside of machinery of some kind, I think he said) for eternity. Horrible images, even for an agnostic like my current front self. ... I tried to remind myself that this was a gifted horror writer who drew upon some extremely dark personal material. And that perhaps it was good for him to externalize all that toxic stuff. But by the time he banned me I was beginning to see that absorbing that kind of despair on a daily basis was an awful thing to do to myselves

But wasn't that a useful process overall, for you to test your own sense of what is real?

Was it Blake who said whatever can be imagined is an image of truth?* Think of poor Whitley: if he believes these things to be literally true, then that's precisely what he has to contend with, day to day, and what he has to look forward to when he dies. :doh: So yes, writing it out is definitely a way to exorcise it, if done properly. The problem is when - unlike, say, Edgar Allan Poe or Dostoyevsky, who also externalized some pretty grisly psychic demons through writing - Strieber presents his psychic dark matter as fact, not fiction; and even when it's fiction (2012, The Grays), Strieber has us believe that he is putting the "real dirt" in there because it's easier to get away with in a fictionalized form. So instead of exorcising his demons, Whitley might be possessing his readers with them, the ones who lack the boundaries and/or discernment (and I reluctantly include myself in this category) to take everything he writes with a large pinch of salt -as all fiction, even if it is "true" (since it's still only Whitley's experience, his truth).

(He touches on this idea, but never full confronts it, in 2012 and elsewhere, when he suggests that the "aliens" need our belief to enter our reality, through the channels of our minds. The logical follow-on from this idea is that Strieber, by spreading belief, is setting his readers up for "abduction"/possession. Is it any wonder the guy's conflicted?)
Whitley's a Catholic, so he believes not only in God but in a God that damns souls to eternal hellfire. :powerup: :farmer: Naturally, as a highly creative thinker, he's going to find "scientific" back-up for his medieval beliefs, and naturally he unconsciously needs to persuade others that all this is real, because then he won't feel so horribly lonely in his terror and despair. That's definitely not what a shaman's supposed to be doing, however, in fact it's roughly the opposite: instead of taking on the community's shadow-sickness, and absorbing into himself, he's using the community (UC) to absorb his shadow-sickness and get relief. If he is doing it, I'm sure he doesn't know it, which means that any of us (not just writers, artists, etc, but all of us, whenever we interact with other people and try to make them see things our way, which happens every day here at RI) are likely doing the same, if only to a much lesser degree. :?

Sobering thought huh. So then we'd all make good case studies.

And yeah, this is all really in the spirit of confessional. :sadcry: I may as well beat y'all to the punch with the "Aeolus case study"!

:help: :ambulance:

*"Everything to be imagined is an image of truth."
guruilla

Postby elfismiles » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:04 pm

AK, have you read Redfern's FINAL EVENTS yet?
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby elfismiles » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:26 pm

For those unfamiliar with the term Imaginal Consciousness the source is highly recommended:

Mundus Imaginalis,
or
the Imaginary and the Imaginal
by Henri Corbin

In offering the two Latin words mundus imaginalis as the title of this discussion, I intend to treat a precise order of reality corresponding to a precise mode of perception, because Latin terminology gives the advantage of providing us with a technical and fixed point of reference, to which we can compare the various more-or-less irresolute equivalents that our modern Western languages suggest to us.

I will make an immediate admission. The choice of these two words was imposed upon me some time ago, because it was impossible for me, in what I had to translate or say, to be satisfied with the word imaginary. This is by no means a criticism addressed to those of us for whom the use of the language constrains recourse to this word, since we are trying together to reevaluate it in a positive sense. Regardless of our efforts, though, we cannot prevent the term imaginary, in current usage that is not deliberate, from being equivalent to signifying unreal, something that is and remains outside of being and existence-in brief, something utopian. I was absolutely obliged to find another term because, for many years, I have been by vocation and profession an interpreter of Arabic and Persian texts, the purposes of which I would certainly have betrayed if I had been entirely and simply content-even with every possible precaution-with the term imaginary. I was absolutely obliged to find another term if I did not want to mislead the Western reader that it is a matter of uprooting long-established habits of thought, in order to awaken him to an order of things, the sense of which it is the mission of our colloquia at the "Society of Symbolism" to rouse.

In other words, if we usually speak of the imaginary as the unreal, the utopian, this must contain the symptom of something. In contrast to this something, we may examine briefly together the order of reality that I designate as mundus imaginalis, and what our theosophers in Islam designate as the "eighth climate"; we will then examine the organ that perceives this reality, namely, the imaginative consciousness, the cognitive Imagination; and finally, we will present several examples, among many others, of course, that suggest to us the topography of these interworlds, as they have been seen by those who actually have been there.

MORE HERE:
http://hermetic.com/bey/mundus_imaginalis.htm

elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby guruilla » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:34 pm

elfismiles wrote:AK, have you read Redfern's FINAL EVENTS yet?

That "yet" is a bit coercive!

No, Smiles, not yet. :wink:
guruilla

Postby Spiro C. Thiery » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:45 pm

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
Seeing the world through rose-colored latex.
Spiro C. Thiery

Postby justdrew » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:51 pm

as to the "originality" of The Key (which I've read once before, and am looking at again)...
(and this that I'll show some excerpts from below, isn't the only clear antecedent to the ideas in the key, but I'll not directly name the other primary work that came out about 15 years or so before, who's initials would be WiH)

but more importantly, a work interested persons would likely be better served by...

I'll spill some well-known beans and present a few excerpts... from...

Rudolf Steiner - Knowledge of the Higher Worlds c. ~1918

THE GREAT OR SECOND GUARDIAN OF THE THRESHOLD
LIFE AND DEATH
this Guardian a Being confronts the student whom the latter has himself brought into existence, and whose body consists of the hitherto invisible results of the student’s own actions, feelings and thoughts. These unseen forces have become the cause of his destiny and his character, and he realizes how he himself founded the present in the past. He can understand why his inner self now standing to a certain extent revealed before him, includes particular inclinations and habits, and he can also recognize the origin of certain blows of fate that have befallen him. He perceives why he loves one thing and hates another; why one thing makes him happy and another unhappy. Visible life is explained by the invisible causes. The essential facts of life, too, health and illness, birth and death, unveil themselves before his gaze. He observes how, before his birth, he wore the causes which necessarily led to his return into life. Henceforth he knows that Being within himself which is constructed, with all its imperfections, in the visible world, and which can only be brought to its final perfection in this same visible world. For in no other world is an opportunity given to build up and complete this Being. Moreover, he recognizes that death cannot sever him for ever from this world; for he says to himself: ‘Once I came into this world because, being as I was, I needed the life it provided, to acquire qualities unattainable in any other world. And I must remain bound to this world until I have developed within myself everything that can here be gained. I shall only some day become a useful collaborator in another world by acquiring all the requisite faculties in this physical world.’
Thanks to his insight into the supersensible world, the Initiate gains a better knowledge and appreciation of the true value of visible Nature, than was possible before his higher training; and this may be counted among his most important experiences. Anyone not possessing this insight and perhaps therefore imagining the supersensible regions to be infinitely the more valuable, is likely to underestimate the physical world. Yet the possessor of this insight knows that without experience in visible reality, he would be totally powerless in that other invisible reality. Before he can live in the latter, he must have the requisite faculties and instruments which can only be acquired in the visible world. Consciousness in the invisible world is not possible without spiritual sight, but this power of vision in the higher world is gradually developed through experience in the lower. No one can be born in the spiritual world with spiritual eyes without having first developed them in the physical world, any more than a child could be born with physical eyes if they had not already been formed within the mother’s womb.
From this standpoint it will also be readily understood why the Threshold to the supersensible world is watched by a Guardian. In no case may real insight into those regions be permitted to anyone lacking the requisite faculties; therefore, upon the individual entering the other world while still incompetent to work in it, the higher experiences are shrouded from him, at the hour of death, until he is fit to behold them. When the student enters the supersensible world, life acquires quite a new meaning for him; he discerns in the physical world the seed-ground of a higher world, so that, in a certain sense, the higher will appear defective without the lower. Two outlooks are opened before him; the first into the past and the second into the future. His vision extends to a past in which this physical world was not yet existent for he has long since discarded the prejudice that the supersensible world was developed out of the sense-world, He knows that the former was first existent, and that out of it everything physical was evolved. He sees that he himself belonged to a supersensible world before coming for the first time into this sense-world. But this pristine supersensible world needed to pass through the sense-world, for without this passage its further evolution would not have been possible. It can only pursue its course when certain beings will have developed requisite faculties within the kingdom of the senses. These beings are none other than the human beings. The latter owe their present life to an imperfect stage of spiritual existence, and are being led, even within this stage, to that perfection which will make them fit for further work in the higher world. At this point, the outlook is directed into the future. A higher stage of the supersensible world is discerned, which will contain the fruits matured in the sense-world. The sense-world, as such, will be superseded; but its products will be embodied in a higher world.

Now in the Guardian of the Threshold, as described above, the product of the past is manifest, containing only so many seeds of the future as could be planted in the course of time. Yet everything that can be extracted from the sense-world must be carried into the supersensible world. Were the student to bring with him only what had been woven into his counterpart out of the past, his earthly task would remain but partially accomplished. For this reason, the ‘lesser Guardian of the Threshold’ is joined, after a time, by the Greater Guardian. The meeting with this second or Greater Guardian will again be described in narrative form.

When the student has recognized all the elements from which he must liberate himself, his way is barred by a sublime luminous Being whose beauty is difficult to describe in the words of human language. This encounter takes place when the sundering of the organs of thinking, feeling and willing extends to the physical body, so that their reciprocal connection is no longer regulated by themselves, but by the higher consciousness, which has now quite liberated itself from physical conditions. The organs of thinking, feeling and willing will then be controlled from supersensible regions, as instruments in the power of the human soul. The latter, thus liberated from all physical bonds, is now confronted by the second Guardian of the Threshold who speaks as follows: ‘Thou hast released thyself from the world of the senses. Thou hast won the right to become a native of the supersensible world, whence thine activity can now be directed. For thine own part, thou dost no longer require thy physical body in its present form. If thine intention was merely to acquire the faculties necessary for life in the supersensible world, thou needest no longer return to the sense-world. But now look on me. See how I tower above all that thou hast made of thyself until now. Thou hast attained thy present degree of perfection thanks to the faculties thou wast able to develop in the sense-world, so long as thou wast still confined to it. But now a new era is to begin, in which thy liberated powers must be applied to further work in the world of the senses. Hitherto thou hast sought only thine own release, but now, having thyself become free, thou canst go forth as a liberator of thy fellows. Until to-day thou hast striven as an individual, but now seek to co-ordinate thyself in the whole so that thou mayst bring into the supersensible world not thyself alone, but all things else existing in the world of the senses. Thou wilt some day be able to unite thyself with me, but I cannot be blessed so long as others are unredeemed. As a separate freed being, thou wouldst fain enter at once the kingdom of the supersensible, yet thou wouldst be forced to look down on the still unredeemed beings in the physical world, having sundered thy destiny from theirs, though thou and they are inseparably united. Thou didst perforce descend into the world to gather powers needed for a higher world. To separate thyself from thy fellows would mean to misuse those very powers which thou couldst not have developed save in company with them. Thou couldst not have descended had they not done so, and without them, the powers needed for supersensible existence would fail thee. Thou must now share with thy fellows the powers which thou didst, in company with them, exert thyself to acquire. I shall therefore bar thine entry into the higher regions of the supersensible world so long as thou hast not applied all the powers thou hast acquired to the liberation of thy companions. With the powers already at thy disposal, thou mayst sojourn in the lower regions of the supersensible world, but I stand before the portal of the higher regions as the Cherub with the fiery sword before Paradise, and I bar thine entrance so long as powers unused in the sense-world still remain in thee. And if thou dost refuse to apply thy powers in this world others will come who will not refuse; and a higher supersensible world will receive all the fruits of the sense-world, while thou wilt lose from under thee the very ground in which thou wast rooted. The purified world will develop above and beyond thee, and thou wilt be excluded from it. Thus thou wouldst tread the black path, while the others from whom thou didst sever thyself, tread the white path.’
Thus the Great Guardian makes his presence known soon after the meeting with the Watcher or first Guardian has taken place. The Initiate knows full well what is in store for him if he yields to the temptation of a premature abode in the supersensible world. An undescribable splendour shines forth from this Great Guardian of the Threshold; union with him looms as a far distant ideal before the soul’s vision. Yet there is also the certitude that this union will not be possible until all the powers afforded by this world are applied to the task of its liberation and redemption. By fulfilling the demands of the higher light-being, the Initiate will contribute to the liberation of the human race. He lays his gifts on the sacrificial altar of humanity. Should he prefer his own premature elevation into the supersensible world, the stream of human evolution will flow over and beyond him. After his liberation he can gain no new powers from the world of the senses; and if he places his work at the world’s disposal it will entail his renouncement of any further benefit for himself. It does not follow that, when called upon, anyone will naturally follow the white path. That depends entirely upon whether he is so far purified at the time of his decision, that no trace of self-seeking makes this prospect of felicity appear desirable. For the allurements here are the strongest possible; whereas on the other side no special allurements are evident. Here nothing appeals to his egoism. The gift he receives in the higher regions of the supersensible world is nothing that comes to him, but only something that flows from him, that is, love for the world and for his fellows. Nothing that egoism desires is denied upon the black path, for the latter provides, on the contrary, for the complete gratification of egoism, and will not fail to attract those desiring merely their own felicity, for it is indeed the appropriate path for them. No one therefore should expect the occultists of the white path to give him instruction for the development of his own egoistical self. They do not take the slightest interest in the felicity of the individual. Each can attain that for himself, and it is not the task of the white occultists to shorten the way; for they are only concerned with the development and liberation of all human beings and all creatures. Their instructions, therefore, deal only with the development of powers for collaboration in this work. Thus they place selfless devotion before all other qualities. They never actually refuse anyone, for even the greatest egoist can purify himself; but no one merely seeking an advantage for himself will ever obtain assistance from the white occultists. Even when they do not refuse their help, he, the seeker, deprives himself of the advantage resulting from their assistance. Anyone, therefore, really following the instructions of the good occult teachers, will, upon crossing the Threshold, understand the demands of the greater Guardian; anyone, however, not following their instructions, can never hope to reach the Threshold. Their instructions, if followed, produce good results or no results; for it is no part of their task to lead individuals to egoistical felicity, and to a mere existence in the supersensible worlds. In fact it becomes their duty to keep the student away from the supersensible world until he can enter it with the will for selfless collaboration.
By 1964 there were 1.5 million mobile phone users in the US
justdrew

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby guruilla » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:39 pm

Normally I find Steiner pretty accessible, but I can't read that stuff.

What's WiH and why the need for mystery?
guruilla

Postby Hammer of Los » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:48 pm

Thanks for the Steiner, Justdrew.

I always liked Steiner, a very impressive thinker. On another forum, I had a quote by him as my sig line; "There is only so much suffering in the world as there is interest in the material and the physical.." and so on.

WiH? I guess I know what that means; the most bizarre and fascinating work I have ever read, and one of the most subtly resonating and disturbing. It was another text I came across early in my internet roaming, in fact. Now I think about it there was another thread on it here, once upon a time. But why the mystery, Justdrew? Can I tell him what the work was? I have it up in another tab. I know I should avoid looking at it. Just walk away. Worse than the Necronomicon, if you want my opinion.

:wink:
Hammer of Los

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion