The War on Everything. Stupid Democrats, Stupid Republicans

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: The War on Everything. Stupid Democrats, Stupid Republic

Postby Canadian_watcher » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:57 pm

norton ash wrote:Some people cannot resist being defensive/combative about fucking everything, especially their really WEAK or pernicious arguments, which they won't let go.

Then they derail threads because they're attention-vampires who really think their self-imposed 'suffering' is something meaningful.

That's a problem.

and you know this type because you have to sit inside of it all day every single day of your life. Except of course that you yourself have no arguments - and nothing to actually contribute to any argument - other than this exact argument.

Start a thread about something you care about and then give an analysis. Go ahead, I dare ya.
Satire is a sort of glass, wherein beholders do generally discover everybody's face but their own.-- Jonathan Swift

When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift
Canadian_watcher

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby norton ash » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:12 pm

and you know this type because you have to sit inside of it all day every single day of your life. Except of course that you yourself have no arguments - and nothing to actually contribute to any argument - other than this exact argument.

Start a thread about something you care about and then give an analysis. Go ahead, I dare ya.

You have no idea what my life is. The only clue I gave you is that it's a form of civil service, and it's rich and difficult and rewarding. You're such a dirty fighter, aren't you?

I also told you my biggest issue is comfortable people who don't really have a problem or complaint, they just want to whine, feel hard-done-by, and they're a waste of my time and energy.

I come here to read, and I love most of it. Other than dropping 'thank yous' or 'well done' in places I seldom have anything to add, and I may begin posting more threads when MY REAL LIFE ISN'T SO BUSY.

But you, you piss me off, and I find you thoroughly risible, so I mock you, because I think you're a twisted little vampire and since I can't tell spoiled whiners to find a new hobby in the real world, maybe I get my yayas out suggesting that sort of thing to you here.

Why don't you unball your fists and paint something, or stop stamping your feet and go for a walk, if you want to talk about real life.

And me... back to work!
Zen horse
norton ash

Postby Canadian_watcher » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:33 pm

norton ash wrote:

You have no idea what my life is. The only clue I gave you is that it's a form of civil service, and it's rich and difficult and rewarding. You're such a dirty fighter, aren't you?

I also told you my biggest issue is comfortable people who don't really have a problem or complaint, they just want to whine, feel hard-done-by, and they're a waste of my time and energy.

I come here to read, and I love most of it. Other than dropping 'thank yous' or 'well done' in places I seldom have anything to add, and I may begin posting more threads when MY REAL LIFE ISN'T SO BUSY.

But you, you piss me off, and I find you thoroughly risible, so I mock you, because I think you're a twisted little vampire and since I can't tell spoiled whiners to find a new hobby in the real world, maybe I get my yayas out suggesting that sort of thing to you here.

Why don't you unball your fists and paint something, or stop stamping your feet and go for a walk, if you want to talk about real life.

And me... back to work!

No, I didn't mean the civil service, Nort. I meant that you sit inside yourself all day every day - and unlike the civil service, from that there is no escape.

You admit that you use me to vent your spleen. ^
But then you advise me to unball my fists and do something else rather than post here.

I am not angry in general but I am capable of the emotion, and will react when people like you - people who are using me as a punching bag - try to keep it up.

So, if you keep it up, Norton, I will continue to fight you back.

If you dispute that you are absolutely abusive towards me I will gladly post the log of all your posts over the past weeks. it's ready to go.

Unball my fists after such a pronouncement as that which you have just made? Leave the board? You wish.
Satire is a sort of glass, wherein beholders do generally discover everybody's face but their own.-- Jonathan Swift

When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift
Canadian_watcher

Postby norton ash » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:37 pm

Waste of time.

People of faith are welcome at RI, and 'teaching the controversy' is led by people who would impose 'The Handmaid's Tale.' End of those arguments.

So go find a NEW argument, and post all you like of me 'abusing' you in the past, you tiresome thug-- who remembers only past slights, and embraces her resentment more dearly than anything, like any adolescent.
Zen horse
norton ash

Postby Nordic » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:52 pm

why is this thread immediately descending into another meta-war?

it's boring, people. cut it the fuck out.

2012 posted a great op, and wombat asked what is a good provocative question.

and now all of this?

can we just get back to topic and leave the emotional baggage of other threads behind?
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby barracuda » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:54 pm

Nordic wrote:can we just get back to topic and leave the emotional baggage of other threads behind?

Nordic and I are in complete agreement here.

:backtotopic:
The most dangerous traps are the ones you set for yourself. - Phillip Marlowe
barracuda

Postby Canadian_watcher » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:56 pm

Nordic wrote:why is this thread immediately descending into another meta-war?

it's boring, people. cut it the fuck out.

2012 posted a great op, and wombat asked what is a good provocative question.

and now all of this?

can we just get back to topic and leave the emotional baggage of other threads behind?

Wombat clearly insulted 2012.

but whatever, it wasn't my fight. This isn't my board. If insulting people who make posts you don't like is the way you guys all want it then this is no more useful to me or the world than the bathroom at a home for incorrigible delinquents.

Canadian_watcher

Postby norton ash » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:57 pm

Roger wilco Nordic, Cuda. Peace. :basicsmile
Zen horse
norton ash

Postby Pele'sDaughter » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:25 pm

2012 didn't appear to take wombaticus personally, and that's the key to keeping one's peace of mind. Whenever anyone else says something it can only be about them so the logical thing to do is ignore the comment(s) unless you agree which would then necessitate some ego-driven argument or retaliation. All of us have opinions and sometimes we fall short when it comes to how we express them, so I'm giving everyone a pass on that sort of thing and hope you will all do the same for me.
Don't believe anything they say.
And at the same time,
Don't believe that they say anything without a reason.
---Immanuel Kant
Pele'sDaughter

Postby Canadian_watcher » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:41 pm

Pele'sDaughter wrote:2012 didn't appear to take wombaticus personally, and that's the key to keeping one's peace of mind. Whenever anyone else says something it can only be about them so the logical thing to do is ignore the comment(s) unless you agree which would then necessitate some ego-driven argument or retaliation. All of us have opinions and sometimes we fall short when it comes to how we express them, so I'm giving everyone a pass on that sort of thing and hope you will all do the same for me.

appearances can be deceiving.

Canadian_watcher

Postby 2012 Countdown » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:49 pm

Pele'sDaughter wrote:2012 didn't appear to take wombaticus personally, and that's the key to keeping one's peace of mind. Whenever anyone else says something it can only be about them so the logical thing to do is ignore the comment(s) unless you agree which would then necessitate some ego-driven argument or retaliation. All of us have opinions and sometimes we fall short when it comes to how we express them, so I'm giving everyone a pass on that sort of thing and hope you will all do the same for me.

Oh, I'm pretty sure he meant it as an insult, haha. To me directly, well maybe. After all, I'm the one who posted this allegidly uninspired, mundane article and gave it such an endorsement. I dunno. What you perceive though is my attempt at being gratious and accomodating and to consider the criticism, all in hope of keeping the focus on the articles' contents. I don't post much though, so the insults for posting such repetitive, unoriginal, and poorly written articles filled with false attributations are kept at a minimum. :bigsmile

My mistake however was to dare and make it an OP. I don't make that mistake often though, and throw myself at the mercy of the higher intellects of the board*. I thank C_W for the attempt at moderation, but that got spun off into something else, the particulars of which I have no idea what is going on. I don't want to cause a stur though, so everyone, back on topic, or let this sink like a stone.

*- as evidence I offer my having to edit this post over and over, fully aware there are more errors I have failed to catch. I am guessing I hit the 'x' box after I finish typing a post 75% of the time, over hitting the 'submit' button. My guess is now should have been one of those too.

:baghead:
George Carlin ~ "Its called 'The American Dream', because you have to be asleep to believe it."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acLW1vFO-2Q
2012 Countdown

Postby Pele'sDaughter » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:15 pm

I might not have learned the truth about that quote if you hadn't posted the article, so it was worthwhile for me in more than one way. It may have stated the obvious, but I like the way it was said. The article, I mean.
Don't believe anything they say.
And at the same time,
Don't believe that they say anything without a reason.
---Immanuel Kant
Pele'sDaughter

Postby lupercal » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:03 pm

Wombaticus Rex wrote:I had a curt apology for (immediately) derailing the thread but the more I chewed it over, I think that quote really hits at the heart of this entire piece....I mean, are we insane? How many times has this article been written? How many conversations have we had about these computationally intractable problems?

Me, I keep coming back because the nature of the Beast evolves and the people here are so entertaining and educational. But I do wonder -- didn't this exact article get written again and again during the Clinton years, too?

Makes me wonder what Nietzsche really meant about eternal recurrence....

Forget it, Jake, it's CounterPunch. :tongout

..which is short way of saying you put your finger on something that can't really be explained in a short way, at least by me (Hugh could do it) so I'll try again later.
lupercal

Postby Nordic » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:05 pm

2012, thanks for posting this piece. please don't let the rather bizarre flare-up derail your confidence about posting anything here! it's a great piece and i never would have seen it otherwise, and i intend on sharing it far and wide. ( which for me these days is admittedly not that much).

while wr's reaction was pretty grumpy, i don't think it was directed at you one bit. i took it as the frustration we all feel, insofar as no matter how many perfectly written and scathing diatribes, everything just seems to get worse, so why bother?

which is a great point of discussion for this thread imho.

personally i think we have to keep trying, keep spreading this stuff around, you never know what may finally be the catalyst that sparks a fire.
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby 2012 Countdown » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:16 pm

Thanks, Pele'sDaughter.

Thanks Nordic, you know I like you. When you get on a rant sometimes I think 'yes sir!' to myself in agreement. Actually I like just about everybody here and their contributions, including some of the people fighting in this thread. I don't come here to fight though, those things are epic here. Sometimes this place turns into Thunderdome and you need a thick skin. I try to not engage in that.
You people are too smart and agree on too much to be at each other, but that is jmho, of which I will refuse to defend. Maybe you enjoy the verbal combat, I don't know.

That aside, me too. Just spreading this around for the same purpose myself.
Cheers to you and peace to everyone who seeks a better humanity and justice.
George Carlin ~ "Its called 'The American Dream', because you have to be asleep to believe it."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acLW1vFO-2Q
2012 Countdown

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion