Pussy Riot take revolt to the Kremlin

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Pussy Riot take revolt to the Kremlin

Postby barracuda » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:19 pm

Oddly enough, there's a myspace page for an Italian band with the same name:

http://www.myspace.com/pussyriot

...who also credit Riot Grrrl as their influence.

MinM wrote:If they were called something other than Pussy Riot (say Nickelback) would we still be getting inundated by the amount of stories about this? :shrug:

Are you suggesting that the media would exploit the provocative nature of their band name to tickle the prurient interests of their readership?? For shame. Maybe Bradley Manning would have faired better if he'd been an attractive young lady, though. Radly Girling, maybe? And had a decent single out. Remind me to learn at least three chords before attempting subversion.

In any case, I'm sure they're talking about cats.

barracuda

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Ben D » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:28 pm

wordspeak2 wrote:If America pulled 1/20th the shit Syria, Russia, China etc does to its own people I can't even imagine the reaction people would have.

Oh to be so lucky...

There is That which was not born, nor created, nor evolved. If it were not so, there would never be any refuge from being born, or created, or evolving. That is the end of suffering. That is God**.

** or Nirvana, Allah, Brahman, Tao, etc...
Ben D

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby 8bitagent » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:50 pm

Alchemy wrote:So what is the consensus here is Pussy Riot for real or some State Dept bullshit

Pure paranoid conspiracy wankery for follks to imply Pussy Riot is some stooge or proxy for Western agendas. They're simply creative, pissed off women wanting to shake things up a bit in a colorful way.

barracuda wrote:

LOVE IT. Now that's some real punk rock. I don't believe there's been such a thing since the Dead Kennedy's hit the scene.
"Do you know who I am? I am the arm, and I sound like this..."-man from another place, twin peaks fire walk with me
8bitagent

Postby compared2what? » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:43 am

MinM wrote:
lupercal wrote:Yes it's almost as if the whole thing was scripted to play well on CNN. Oh wait, it was. I wasn't going to say anything but now that the cat's out of the bag, yes CW, it is a stunt coordinated by your southern neighbors, like those demonstrations in Tahir square that Alice used to gush about. Notice how Egypt is now run by an ex-Cal State Northridge professor who just fired the Egyptian heads of the military and intel agencies and replaced them with US-trained, US-friendly stooges...

Interesting lupercal. :uncertain: You certainly had the Arab Spring thing nailed. :thumbsup001:

That too was real, but coopted.

And I feel that's worth noting. Because in the event that anyone ever stops reading websites designed to preempt all activism by encouraging their readers to presume it's all, always spooked up for long enough actually to try to change the world in some way, they might want to know what to be on the look-out for.

(Besides untrustworthy people with a history of promoting blatant falsehood and ties to Scientology, Neo-Nazis, and/or Lyndon LaRouche, I mean. )

One final thought...

If they were called something other than Pussy Riot (say Nickelback) would we still be getting inundated by the amount of stories about this? :shrug:

To me, the name is actually strong evidence that it's not an American op. Nobody in the State Department is that creative.
“If someone comes out of a liquor store with a weapon and 50 dollars in cash I don’t care if a Drone kills him or a policeman kills him.” -- Rand Paul
compared2what?

Postby Jeff » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:06 am

compared2what? wrote:To me, the name is actually strong evidence that it's not an American op. Nobody in the State Department is that creative.

Quite.

NBC's Today show took a prim view early on in its Pussy Riot package. Presenter Michelle Kosinski said: "the punk rock girl band, whose name we can't say on morning television."

Media take a prim view of Pussy Riot

There would have been no qualms about a band called "Land Destroyer."
Jeff
Site Admin

Postby lupercal » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:16 am

^ actually Jeff the English name is a dead giveaway.

lupercal

Postby Jeff » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:25 am

lupercal wrote:^ actually Jeff the English name is a dead giveaway.

Well, no; not necessarily.

With the international attention given to the trial and conviction of members of the Russian punk band Pussy Riot on charges of "hooliganism," many have wondered online whether Pussy Riot is a translation of a Russian name. But no: the band consistently uses Pussy Riot (in Latin characters) on its official LiveJournal blog, even though most of the text is in Russian (in Cyrillic characters). This isn't too surprising among punk/alt-rock bands worldwide. Whether it's the Japanese noise rockers Boredoms or Russian ska-punks Distemper, musicians very often use English in Latin script for the names of their bands (and titles of albums and songs), even when their lyrics are in their native language.

http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=4134
Jeff
Site Admin

Postby barracuda » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:31 am

Там беспорядки в мое влагалище, appearing live, one night only.
barracuda

Postby lupercal » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:32 am

Jeff wrote: the band consistently uses Pussy Riot (in Latin characters) on its official LiveJournal blog, even though most of the text is in Russian (in Cyrillic characters)

Yes, that's kind of what I was getting at. How many Russians do you think light up when they hear Pussy Riot? Probably as many English speakers who hear киска бунт , as I see barracuda has just figured out. Better late than never!
lupercal

Postby lupercal » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:36 am

compared2what? wrote:
MinM wrote:
lupercal wrote:Yes it's almost as if the whole thing was scripted to play well on CNN. Oh wait, it was. I wasn't going to say anything but now that the cat's out of the bag, yes CW, it is a stunt coordinated by your southern neighbors, like those demonstrations in Tahir square that Alice used to gush about. Notice how Egypt is now run by an ex-Cal State Northridge professor who just fired the Egyptian heads of the military and intel agencies and replaced them with US-trained, US-friendly stooges...

Interesting lupercal. :uncertain: You certainly had the Arab Spring thing nailed. :thumbsup001:

Only in the Peter Pan world of MSNBC. Now as for casting aspersions on "untrustworthy people," I've already asked you for evidence of your allegations about Cartalucci, which you could not provide, so this might be your opportunity to find a better way to argue. And for the record I called bullshit on Egypt's phony Arab spring while it was still in Tunisia.

p.s. thanks, MinM, which is what I was originally coming here to say... :tongout
lupercal

Postby compared2what? » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:01 am

lupercal wrote:
compared2what? wrote:
MinM wrote:

Only in the Peter Pan world of MSNBC. Now as for casting aspersions on "untrustworthy people," I've already asked you for evidence of your allegations about Cartalucci, which you could not provide, so this might be your opportunity to find a better way to argue.

I was referring to Fletcher Prouty, who is possibly the most obviously untrustworthy source imaginable, imo.

Also, please stop trying to deflect attention from your inability to defend your argument -- or Cartalucci's, if you prefer -- from the legitimate criticisms I already raised by pretending that it consisted of allegations I never actually made.
“If someone comes out of a liquor store with a weapon and 50 dollars in cash I don’t care if a Drone kills him or a policeman kills him.” -- Rand Paul
compared2what?

Postby lupercal » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:15 am

compared2what? wrote:The "talking hatefully about Jews" thing wasn't a serious comment about Cartalucci. I was just being snide.

"Talking hatefully about Jews" is a very serious allegation indeed, as you well know, but not, in the event, a "legitimate criticism." So frankly my dear I don't know what legitimate criticism you're talking about.
lupercal

Postby compared2what? » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:07 am

lupercal wrote:
compared2what? wrote:The "talking hatefully about Jews" thing wasn't a serious comment about Cartalucci. I was just being snide.

"Talking hatefully about Jews" is a very serious allegation indeed, as you well know, but not, in the event, a "legitimate criticism." So frankly my dear I don't know what legitimate criticism you're talking about.

I already told you I wasn't seriously accusing him of that. Please see my first post in response to you for the critique if you feel so moved. Or don't if you don't. They're your beliefs, not mine. So stick to them if they do it for you. I want you to.
compared2what?

Postby JackRiddler » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:42 pm

No young people in Mother Russia would ever have reason to hate the glorious state, Leader Putin or the beloved Orthodox Church if the imperialist spies were not paying them!
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby vanlose kid » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:58 pm

here we go...

'Free Pussy Riot' scrawled 'in blood' above murdered Russian women

Kremlin supporters says murders in Kazan are result of dangerous radicalism but Pussy Riot activists call it crude attempt to damage opposition

Miriam Elder in Moscow
guardian.co.uk, Thursday 30 August 2012 13.29 BST

The bodies of two women have been found beneath a message calling for the release of jailed members of the punk band Pussy Riot, Russian investigators have said.

The deaths have prompted anger among Kremlin supporters, who have warned that the musicians were encouraging dangerous radicalism. But supporters of the band, three of whose members were given prison sentences earlier this month, immediately cast doubt on claims that the murders were the work of a Pussy Riot fan.

One Russian investigator cautioned that the killer was possibly trying to mislead police by drawing attention to supporters of the punk provocateurs.

Investigators said the two victims – a 76-year-old and a 38-year-old woman – were killed in the city of Kazan at the weekend.

"The words 'Free Pussy Riot', presumably written in blood, were found at the scene of the crime, on the walls of the flat," the federal investigative committee said on Wednesday night.

The tabloid Life News, known for its sources within the Russian police and security services, published images of the graffiti, showing the words "Free! Pussy Riot" written in English on flowered wallpaper. The tabloid's owner, Ashot Gabrelyanov, tweeted: "If you still think that breaking the norms of behaviour in a church doesn't change anything, then I recommend you read the latest news."

Three members of the feminist punk collective – Maria Alyokhina, Nadezhda Tolokonnikova and Yekaterina Samutsevich – were sentenced to two years in prison this month on charges of "hooliganism motivated by religious hatred" after a performance criticising President Vladimir Putin in Moscow's main cathedral. Emotions over the trial – and the role of the Russian Orthodox church – remain heated.

Opposition activists immediately said the alleged graffiti were an attempt to smear the band and their supporters. Several noted that a statement from local investigators in Kazan, the capital of the mainly Muslim republic of Tatarstan, made no mention of the words. Local news reports also made no mention.

"This is an attempt to strike at all supporters of the group," Pyotr Verzilov, Tolokonnikova's husband, told the news site Gazeta.ru.

Nikolai Polozov, a lawyer for the band, tweeted: "What happened in Kazan is horrible. Pussy Riot was always for nonviolent protest. This incident is either a horrendous provocation or [the work of] a psychopath."

The Pussy Riot trio were sentenced on 17 August following a heated trial. Members of the band said the case against them was the opening shot in a new campaign of repression against political activists and freedom of expression.

In the wake of the verdict, wooden crosses outside Orthodox churches throughout Russia, and in the Ukrainian capital, Kiev, have been knocked over, prompting further anger among Russia's religious community against the band and their supporters.

The case has invigorated the anti-Kremlin opposition, which has vowed to turn out in the tens of thousands for a demonstration on 15 September.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/au ... sian-women

"Teach them to think. Work against the government." – Wittgenstein.
vanlose kid

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion