Nikolas Schreck's "The Manson File"

Postby IanEye » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:24 pm

Here are some subjects I would like to cover in this thread:

Nikolas Schreck
the book, "The Manson File"
California from the years 1965 to 1975

I found a recent interview of Mr. Schreck:

The radio host's website is here.

One of the interesting things about the book, "The Manson File" is that you have to read it backwards, like a book printed in Hebrew.

I. The Philosophers
II. The Minstrel
III. The Wizard
IV. The Beverly Hillbilly
V. The Outlaw
VI. The Revolutionary
VII. The Soul For Sale

all those head lines
they just bore me now
i am deep in side my self
but i will get out some how

IanEye

Blog: View Blog (29)

Re: Nikolas Schreck's "The Manson File"

Postby Kristine Rosemary » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:25 pm

On the beach.
"An ambulance can only go so fast...It's easy to get buried in the past..."
Good thread with thanks to IanEye. Muy mysterioso y loco.
Kristine Rosemary

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:45 pm

I thought I posted this before but it appears to have not worked or something.

I spose everyone knows Kasabian is a name that derives from a Persian word Qasan, meaning butcher or slaughterer.

Joe Hillshoist

Postby justdrew » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:13 am

there 'stuff' out there on the trackers you might find interesting. they don't look to be well seeded, and I don't know what's IN these files but FYI ... here's some names...
some of this is video, others are document collections. I've not downloaded any of it, they all look to be poorly seeded, but it can be hard to tell on old torrents, most of these were upped in 2009 it looks like.

Manson Family - Raw footage NBC Archives Vol. 1
Manson Family - Raw footage NBC Archives Vol. 2
Manson Family - 1969 ABC Newsreel 3 Vol. 2
Manson Family - 1969 ABC Newsreel 3 Vol. 1
Manson Family throughout the years (compilation)
Travel Channel Special on the LA Hall of Justice and the Manson Family Trial
Manson Family - Fox News 30th Anniversary Special
Manson Family - Raw Footage CNN Archives
Manson Family - History Channel Special On Spree Killers
Most Notorious Murderers: Charles Manson (ET/The Insider)
Leeza Show on the Manson Family (1994)
Hard Copy 1994 Special on the Manson Family murders
Geraldo Show on the Manson Family
Inside Edition on the Manson Women (1999)
Manson Family - CSI Real Estate (feat. Cielo Drive)
Manson Family - Leslie Van Houten Interview (1987)
Mugshots: Charles Manson (Court TV)
Crime Stories: The Manson Family Trial (Court TV)
Beach Boy Dennis Wilson and the Manson Family
Terry Melcher and the Manson Family
Manson Family - Interview Rosemary LaBianca's daughter
Manson Family - Charles 'Tex' Watson 700 Club Interview
Manson Family - Cielo Drive Tour (Raw Footage)
Charles Manson and the Manson Family Parole Hearings (Court TV)
Manson Family - Leslie Van Houten Interview (1977) Unedited
Susan Atkins Interview (1976) + Charles Manson Interview (1972)
Manson Family - The Bobby Beausoleil Files
Manson Women: An American Nightmare (2002)
Profiling the Criminal Mind: The Manson Family (1999)
Charles Manson Interview
Tom Snyder interviews Charles Manson (1981)
Charles Manson Interview (Charlie Rose - Nightwatch - 1986)
Manson Family - Women in Prison (A&E) feat. Leslie Van Houten
Charles Manson: The Man Who Killed The 60s (Documentary)
Manson Family Murders Documentary
Manson Family - MSNBC documentary on the Manson Women
Manson Family - Abrams Report (Leslie Van Houten) [2002]
Manson Family - The Susan Atkins Files
Manson Family - The Voytek Frykowski Files
Manson Family - The Leslie Van Houten Files
Manson Family - The Steven Parent Files
Manson Family - The Jay Sebring Files
Manson Family - The Charles 'Tex' Watson Files
Manson Family - The Donald 'Shorty' Shea Files
Manson Family - The Sharon Tate Files
Manson Family - The Members File
Manson Family - The Post 1971 Files
Manson Family - The LaBianca Files
Manson Family - Diane Lake Interview
Manson Family - Connections
Manson Family - The Marina Habe Files
Manson Family - The Patricia Krenwinkel Files
Manson Family - Patricia Krenwinkel Interview [1993]
Manson Family - The Gary Hinman Files
Manson Family - ABC7 Eyewitness News Item feat. Patricia Krenwinkel [2008]
Manson Family - The Abigail Folger Files
By 1964 there were 1.5 million mobile phone users in the US
justdrew

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby justdrew » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:49 am

wait, Roanoke's official city nickname is "star city" ? :ohwh

so just a few things about ol' "No name Maddox" that stand out...

spent four days at Boys Town (before escaping)

the "National Training School for Boys" and "Indiana Boys School" probably have some stories to tell.

taught to play guitar by Alvin "Creepy" Karpis, the last public enemy number one, and the longest doer of time at Alcatraz, son of legendary Ma Barker, etc.

he certainly seems like a confluence of American streams.

I wish I could link him to gilsonite somehow

In the Charlie Rose interview, he says: (referring to the Beatles) "take it to the queen of England, ask her why she's sending her kids over here, ducking from that Hindu pimp that's comin' out of that New Delhi penitentiary. See, there's a lot more in the world than you know about, see?"

hmmm....

like to see the 'big picture' of our over all American predicament pushed back further, and the "public enemy era" seems like a time that needs more research.
justdrew

Postby bks » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:00 pm

Ian and Drew,

Having just spent the last two hours reading about this book and Schreck, I'm utterly fascinated, but reluctant to gown down this black hole further without some additional bearings.

How well in your view does Schreck make the case that the murders were really part of an ongoing conflict between rival drug-dealing organizations? Is the evidence of law enforcement cover-up as clear as Schreck makes it seem in the interviews Schreck recently gave about the book?

His wife is Anton LaVey's daughter, who apparently penned an open letter to Michael Aquino about her father in 1990. Do you know anything else about her relationship, and Schreck's relationship, with Aquino?

I've read the epilogue excerpt. Is there evidence presented in the book about Cass or Philips linking them to the sexual abuse/trafficking of children? Is there outside corroboration of the alleged intensity of Wilson's relationship with Manson beyond what Schreck claims in those interviews?

Any other info you can provide as a guide to the book for someone interested but without even basic knowledge of the case is much appreciated.
bks

Postby justdrew » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:58 am

it's entirely possible someone at some point (possibly at the institution where he suddenly started behaving as a model inmate for a year or two) wound him up real good, if the person or group behind that maintained contact/control in later years, I have no clue. Certainly his background and high native IQ would have made him stand out in the files to anyone looking for an potentially useful 'subject'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Son_of_man

bks, sorry, I don't have much to say about Schreck, I vaguely recall making a point to check out Radio Werewolf (a band of his) but never got around to it. sampling a few tracks now, it seems a tad juvenile and boring. lotsa vampire erotica type stuff. but it's an old thing now. He's moved on quite a ways since those days I guess and so he says, in the three pod casts ianeye linked too above. and I could be missing some good tracks. The Wife is, IIRC the one who left her dad Anton's group and joined Aquino's more metaphysical Temple of Set. for a time.

get jumping off points for the full story here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeena_Schreck

a half-way decent interview, and in the comments you can get started finding out about all the "politics of satanism" going on between the various overt factions. Like anything where people get together, disagreements blossom.
http://www.vice.com/read/beelzebubs-daughter-0000175-v19n4?Contentpage=-1
justdrew

food for thought

Postby IanEye » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:13 am

Schreck saves most of his ire for Bugliosi, he sees Bugliosi as the chief architect of the Manson Myth.
But Schreck is also quite critical of Ed Sanders and others, like Maury Terry or Peter Levenda.

In its simplest form, Schreck's Manson thesis is that Manson was an accessory to murder by participating in the cover-ups of the killings at Cielo Drive and subsequent killings at Waverly Drive.
That there was no "Helter-Skelter" agenda in these killings, that the violence was drug fueled and drug driven, in the sense that this was a struggle over prized turf.
Jay Sebring and Tex Watson both wanted to be the main psychedelic pharmacist to the Stars. One of them had to back off.

I remember going to see Oliver Stone's "JFK" with some friends when it came out, and after we walked out of the theater we all agreed that the Warren Commission report was bullshit.
I think Schreck's "Manson File" serves a similar purpose.
Perhaps it's greatest value is that it convincingly makes the argument that Vincent Bugliosi is not to be trusted, and that he had his own agenda when he concocted the "Helter-Skelter" myth.

It is also fair to question Schreck himself, and what his agenda might be.
To his credit, Schreck is fairly open about having an agenda, which is to distance Manson from any number of occult groups.
Schreck casts Manson as a self aware Shaman. One who has little need for the guidance of the Church of Satan, to the OTO, etc.

One thing I find interesting in terms of Schreck's critique of Levenda and Sanders for their ponderings on the occult amongst the milieu of Manson, is that I don't think Schreck mentions Mae Brussell once in the entire "Manson File".

I was laid off for a good deal of time this past summer and I spent many hours listening to old Mae Brussell radio shows thanks to christs4sale's wonderful archive of Ms. Brussell.

I feel comfortable saying that Ms. Brussell certainly had her own theories about Manson, and perhaps more importantly, Michael Aquino.

I don't feel comfortable saying I know the ins & outs of the various Satanic churches and cults and the struggles for power within them.

It seems like Mr. Schreck and his Wife Zeena have been openly trying to distance themselves from Satanism, and have embraced a school of Buddhism called "Karma Kagyu".

So, perhaps Schreck makes no mention of Ms. Brussell because it would invite mention of Aquino, and it is certainly fair to say there seems to be no association with Manson and Aquino.

Still, it would have been nice if Mr. Davis, the Star City Radio interviewer had brought her up.

Getting back to the radio interview, I don't know if it's because I have been listening to a great deal of the comedy podcast, "SuperEgo" or what, but the "Tate-LaBianca Radio Program" is somewhat surreal. It feels like something out of the Firesign Theatre's "In the Next World, You're on Your Own".
The intros and bumpers for the show feature the Beatle's "Helter-Skelter" and what I believe is a Eminem song as music beds for a guy with a KROQ type radio voice to say goofy things. It feels like a spoof.
But I do appreciate that the host gave Schreck plenty of time to talk and state his case.

So. I got the "Manson File" in late August, and read it straight through during the month of September.
I think I will start reading it again in January, and add to this thread on a chapter by chapter basis.

Thanks all for your participation so far, I look forward to what everyone has to say as we continue on our journey down the Manson in Wonderland rabbit hole.

drink me

edit: this is a good video, but there is footage of a pig getting killed in it.

IanEye

Blog: View Blog (29)

Postby justdrew » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:21 pm

justdrew

Postby Freitag » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:50 am

IanEye wrote:I found a recent interview of Mr. Schreck:

Thank you, I listened to this while driving down to L.A. and I enjoyed it immensely. There are so many details of the crime I'd never heard before. I'll have to get my hands on the book somehow.
Freitag

Postby cptmarginal » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:44 pm

Thank you for this thread; bookmarking it for now. I recently got hold of Levenda's whole Sinister Forces trilogy, thanks to the recent reprint, but haven't been in the mood to delve into the second and third books yet (read part 1 years ago)
cptmarginal

Postby Col. Quisp » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:47 pm

If, as Schreck claims, all those journalists have met with bad luck after following Schreck's leads, why has Schreck been spared?

Perhaps Schreck is a huckster in the style of his father-in-law, Anton LaVey.
Col. Quisp

Postby Hammer of Los » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:58 am

I read the first page of that epilogue.

If you think I'm reading another word about Manson you gotta be crazy.

I already got my own nice little bolt hole here in chapel perilous.

Hammer of Los

Postby semper occultus » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:35 pm

.....any laydeeeez on the site care to undertake some field research...?

pen pals behind bars
semper occultus

Postby chump » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:07 pm

^ You know how to pick 'em.

Schreck's interview was fascinating - full of detail and many, many stories...

He eloquently describes the "Black Hole" of the Tate-LaBianca slaughters... Black hole... Indeed! The darkness surrounds you... Unexpectedly... It's so easy to get lost... A long time ago. Talking to The Wind... That was then, and now they're gone.

Anyway, Schreck mentions that Manson was in prison with Frank Costello, Alan Karpis and other Genovese crime family associates; and that Leno LaBianca was connected to the crime family - as part of the drug underworld in Hollywood, and that Rosemary LaBianca was a well known acid dealer who knew Sharon Tate personally and sold drugs to Tex Watson![[i] Manson's mother was related to the actor John Carradine, and that's why the (supposedly) itinerant musician blew into town to hang out with his sons. Schreck also points out that Dennis Wilson introduced Sharon Tate to Charles Manson at Elvis Presley's house

Tex Watson was not a hippie. He was a drug dealer to Hollywood celebrities... These people knew each other and it was an open secret in Hollywood that it was not Helter Skelter... Some people made an arrangement for a drug deal, something went wrong and everybody got killed... Everyone at a certain level of echelon in Hollywood in that period knows that...

Richard Sylbert, the production designer of Rosemary's Baby, famously said that, "Toilets are flushing all over Beverly Hills."

Upon hearing the news of his wife's death, Polanski is quoted as saying, "I told Jay, don't do business with those fuckers in Chatsworth."

My ears perked up, and then shriveled when Schreck, who is married to none other than Zeena LeVey, mentioned that the Ciello house was under surveillance at the time of the murders - and perhaps another researcher may someday discover why. Then he poignantly describes how he synchronistically sliced off his ear and the sad misfortune of some Manson Family researchers.

According to Mae Brussell, theTate-LaBianca murders were a drug fueled Satanic/Intelligence psyop, m/l... [i]Kooky old broad!?
She describes Charles Manson as a "chemical mesiah" - one of many sponsored by the spooks - when he suddenly got the role of a lifetime!

"Get out your pen...," she says,

Charles Manson was a Patsy - October 13, 1971

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hhr-wPVvNOw

In this strange world of covert operations overthrow of the government, and clandestine armies, and secret operations the problem we're facing is that we're working with two realities. We're working with what we assume is the real way to function and move; and then we're working with a system of what we call power, an exchange of power... Economic power... Power of the people... Controlling their lives. And in order to do that, you disguise certain persons and send them into roles to influence... They become actors on a stage; and they influence our minds in a way that is not real, but affects the reality that will touch us later...

http://www.maebrussell.com/Audio/Merril ... cture.html

http://www.maebrussell.com/Transcriptions/16.html

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=35780
chump

Next

Return to General Discussion