Two explosions at Boston marathon finish line

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Two explosions at Boston marathon finish line

Postby stickdog99 » Fri May 17, 2013 5:55 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/26/us/boston ... index.html

The carjacking victim had left his cell phone in the SUV, and police were using it to monitor the vehicle's every movement. It was now shortly after 12:30 a.m. Friday.

Many Watertown police officers had ended their shift at midnight and were headed home when they heard a possible suspect in the MIT shooting was in their vicinity.

"All they knew at the time was this was related to the MIT murder over there," Watertown Police Chief Edward Deveau told CNN.

So Danny Boy had told them that the car jackers had confessed to shooting the cop, but not that they had confessed to doing the bombings? Does that make any sense to anyone here?

Andrew Kitzenberg lives in a three-story home at 62 Laurel, the location where the gun battle began. He saw two men crouched behind the SUV, opening fire on police.

One officer radioed dispatch: "They have explosives and grenades." Loud pops could be heard in the background.

"Shots fired! Shots fired!" he said.

Kitzenberg ran upstairs to his third-floor bedroom and peeked out a window, capturing the chaotic scene on his phone. At 12:55 a.m., he tweeted, "Shoot out outside my room in Watertown. 62 Laurel st."

The suspects grabbed a backpack, apparently from the Honda, pulled out a pressure-cooker bomb and placed it on the ground. An explosion rocked the neighborhood, and the brothers kept unloading on cops.

"Shoot out with 5 minutes of gun fire and pressure cooker bomb," Kitzenberg tweeted at 12:57 a.m.

He followed quickly with another tweet at 1 a.m.: "PD claiming IED's on the street. Everyone stay off of laurel st."

"I actually saw them light the bomb and I saw a spark from it. As soon as I saw that spark I hit the ground," he recalled.

Up to that point, Kitzenberg believed he was looking at an intense gun battle related to the MIT killing. "When they started using explosives, then I knew it was something much more significant and pretty much knew who I was looking at," he told CNN.

OK, so this dude tweeted that the brothers had exploded a pressure cooker bomb in real time, and then saw them "light" the bomb. Weird how they did not need to "light" the bombs that went off at the Boston Marathon.

At one point, one of the police officers shifted his cruiser into gear as a diversionary tactic, and it rolled toward the two shooters. They fired round after round, blowing out the Ford SUV's back window and side window.

"I hope the chief's not mad at me. The cruiser's a little bit damaged," the cop told his captain.

Nice sentiments, Dirty Harry.

The brothers tossed out five pipe bombs; two or three exploded. After the final blast, a shroud of smoke covered the street and an armed Tamerlan ran toward police, shooting as he approached.

"He starts closing in on one of my officers, and they're literally about 10 feet away from each other, exchanging gunfire," Chief Deveau said. "Then, he runs out of ammunition."

Neighbor Kitzenberg gave a similar account: "He was running down the street, still engaging in gunfire. ... As he got closer to the officers, he was taken down."

Andrew Kitzenberg is now a person of interest.
stickdog99

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby stickdog99 » Fri May 17, 2013 6:05 pm

WaPo on why it is great that Tamerlan got buried in Virgina.

FOR ALMOST A WEEK, the body of Tamerlan Tsarnaev, one of the suspected Boston Marathon bombers, remained at a funeral home in Massachusetts because no cemetery or community would accept it. Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick (D) was right when he said the search for a resting place had become a “circus” and a disservice to the victims of the April 15 bombing, which killed three people and left more than 260 wounded.

That’s why a handful of public officials and private citizens in Virginia deserve credit for ending the circus, both by providing a burial spot for Mr. Tsarnaev in a small Muslim cemetery north of Richmond and by tempering their public comments on an issue that could easily have become inflamed.
Last edited by stickdog99 on Sat May 18, 2013 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
stickdog99

Postby stickdog99 » Fri May 17, 2013 6:08 pm

stickdog99 wrote:Are they really going to go to the trouble of getting somebody to forge a note in Dzhokhar Tsarnaev's handwriting on the inside of the (a) boat, then riddle the (a) boat with bullet holes, then cut out the piece of the (a) boat to present at court in order to "get around" the fact that all the confessions the unnamed spooks said Dzhokhar shared with them when he could not talk were completely invented, while narratively hiding the lack of any actual post-capture confessions from Dzhokhar by claiming that dozens exist but that they are all inadmissible because he was not Mirandized when he was arrested because of Repuglican twitter pressure?

The Washington Times is already on the job!

The note is expected to be a key piece of evidence in the coming prosecution of Tsarnaev. CBS reported that the scribblings are admissible in court and demonstrate a clear motive, backing up statements Tsarnaev made to police.

Tsarnaev made some of those statements before he was read his Miranda rights, creating a legal argument his defense attorneys surely will make.

But the writings in the boat, CBS reported, constitute a de-facto admission that clearly came before police arrested him.
stickdog99

Postby stickdog99 » Fri May 17, 2013 6:23 pm

The evidence you need to convince all 3 major networks to go with a story

A Massachusetts official showed ABC News what he said was a cell phone picture of the phrase "Praise Allah," written in black ink, with a bullet hole above it, believed to have been written by Dzhokhar as he hid inside the boat in Watertown, Mass.

Also seen in the picture was the faintly written word "brother," which the official said was part of a reference by the younger Tsarnaev "that was something about his brother is lucky to be with Allah first."

That sure convinces me! No reason to question why today is the first time we have heard anything about this. Let's lead with this story!
stickdog99

Postby stickdog99 » Fri May 17, 2013 6:45 pm

More stuff that makes no sense

Just after midnight on April 19, Watertown Police Officer Joe Reynolds received a BOLO (be on the lookout) order for a carjacked black Mercedes SUV. When he passed a car matching that description a few minutes later on Dexter Ave., making eye contact with the driver, he called it in, turned around, and began a cautious pursuit. He knew from the dispatch that the suspect had a gun.

Reynold’s sergeant had informed him not to stop the vehicle until backup arrived, so when the Mercedes turned left down Laurel St. he followed–but at a slow pace. He tried not to spook the driver, but the suspect apparently knew he was being followed.

“He stopped his vehicle, and I was about 10-15 yards away,” Reynolds recalled to MSNBC’s Lawrence O’Donnell on The Last Word Tuesday. “And Tamerlan [Tsarnaev] jumped out and he just started walking toward my cruiser and started firing at me.”

Why? Why jump out of your SUV and start firing your gun at a cop car on foot? Death wish?

That’s when Sergeant John Macellan arrived on scene. As he put his own cruiser in park, a round burst through the windshield. He ducked down behind the console and tried to unlock the container which held his AR15, but, as he discovered, high adrenaline can impair fine motor skills, and his attempts to retrieve the long-arm from its cage were unsuccessful. Macellan did the next best thing: he put the cruiser in drive, got out, and let the vehicle roll toward the Tsarnaevs, hoping they would waste rounds on the decoy. That’s exactly what Tamerlan did.

So this intrepid officer sends his loaded AR-15 rolling toward a couple of dangerous, deadly terrorists who currently possess just a single gun between them? Now that's quick thinking!

They were waiting for backup when Reynolds saw an object coming at them through the air. “Sarge, we have to move!” he said. Seconds later, the object exploded.

“I’ll never forget that big explosion that went off there,” said Officer Miguel Colon, who arrived on the scene in the middle of the chaotic exchange. “It’s a dark street as it is, and the whole area just lit up. And everything–a huge cloud of white smoke covered the whole area…My only fear was that they were using [the bombs] to advance on us.”

But the Tsarnaevs remained at their position by the car.

Why? They supposedly have bombs. They supposedly have the cops retreating. Why are they staying outside of their car where they can easily get shot by the police? Why not drive away and toss a bomb out of the car if they are followed?

The older Tsarnaev brother ran toward Pugliese, coming within 6-8 feet, according to the sergeant. Both men fired at each other. Both men had to pause: Pugliese for a reload, Tamerlan because of some kind of malfunction.

Pugliese recalled what happened next: “[Tamerlan] looked at his gun, then threw it at me–hit me in the left bicep here–turned, ran back down the driveway to the street, took a left, running toward the other officers that were on scene. And I holstered up and chased after him and tackled him.”

Miraculously, not one of Tamerlan’s rounds hit Sergeant Pugliese. No one can be sure who hit Tamerlan Tsarnaev, or when, but after Pugliese cuffed him with the help of Sergeant Macellan and Officer Reynolds, they found out he had been hit by nine rounds.

“It’s not like the movies where you shoot somebody and they get thrown ten, fifteen feet back,” says Pugliese. “That’s not reality. People can take the bullets and keep on fighting.”

The brothers had but a single gun between them, yet over 300 rounds were fired in about a 10 minute period. And how in the hell did the cops "determine" that they had successfully shot Tamerlan 9 times?

“That’s what I take out of all of this. I call for help. We’re in a small town, four cruisers on the street, one supervisor. I call for help during a firefight and by the end of the firefight we have officers from different communities in our community helping us. So [Officer Donahue] comes to save our lives, and [Officers Reynolds and Menton] end up saving his life, which is a perfect circle as far as I’m concerned.”

Perfect circular firing squad.
Last edited by stickdog99 on Sat May 18, 2013 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
stickdog99

Postby stickdog99 » Fri May 17, 2013 6:58 pm

Who is Graham Fuller?

The central question is who is Graham Fuller? The answer turns out to be that he was one of the most instrumental people inside the CIA during the 1980’s who convinced CIA Director Bill Casey and the Reagan Administration to recruit fundamentalist Muslim Salafists or Jihadists from Saudi Arabia, Pakistan and elsewhere, train them in techniques of guerilla insurgency and send them against the Soviet-occupied Afghanistan. They were called Mujahideen.[4] One of the more famous of those Mujahideen was a young Saudi from a very wealthy family named Osama bin Laden.

Fuller was also the key CIA figure in convincing the Reagan Administration to tip the balance in the eight-year-long Iran-Iraq war by using Israel to channel weapons to Iran in what became the Iran-Contra Affair. As well, in 1999, around the time his daughter Samantha and “Uncle” Ruslan Tsarni (aka Tsarnaev) lived at his home near Washington, Fuller, former Deputy Director of the CIA’s National Council on Intelligence, then a senior figure at the Pentagon and CIA-linked neo-conservative RAND corporation, advocated using Muslim forces to further US interests in Central Asia. He stated,

“The policy of guiding the evolution of Islam and of helping them against our adversaries worked marvelously well in Afghanistan against [the Russians]. The same doctrines can still be used to destabilize what remains of Russian power, and especially to counter the Chinese influence in Central Asia.” [5]

This is precisely what happened in Chechnya with hundreds of CIA-trained Jihadists and Al Qaeda fighters sent into Chechnya, Dagestan and other parts of the former Soviet Union, precisely where Uncle Ruslan and his two Tsarnaev nephews came to the USA from. Coincidence?

Is it mere “coincidence” that the uncle of the two young men accused of the Boston bombings was related in marriage to the CIA figure who advocated using the networks which were later named “Al Qaeda” across Central Asia including Chechnya where the Tsarnaev brothers had roots? The more independent researchers examine evidence around the Boston terror bombings, the more the official US Government version of events stinks. Closeup pictures of obviously fake red paint designed to look like blood from a man whose legs were supposedly blown off of flesh to the bone, pictures of private security contractors carrying large backpacks at the direct bombing site after the bombing and chatting with police, reports of eyewitnesses of police over loudspeakers telling marathon runners there was a “terrorism exercise” taking place as a test that day. All these anomalies, combined with the CIA ties of Uncle Ruslan, present an incredible set of coincidences. It is time for an open and serious citizen commission of inquiry be formed to investigate.

In a future article we will look closely at the role of the same Graham Fuller in creation of what is rapidly becoming an Islamic fundamentalist dictatorship in Turkey and across the Islamic world. The Graham Fuller Ruslan Tsarni connection opens up what looks to be a very ugly can of worms. The two accused of the Boston bombings were never proven guilty. Their mother in Russia vehemently insists they were set up as patsies by the US Government to be blamed.[6]

It may be that carelessness somewhere exposed Graham Fuller and the tip of a very secret and very explosive network of international terror whose ties with Langley and the US Government are inadvertently coming into daylight in what might well be the most important revelation of destructive secret intelligence operations in modern history. Graham Fuller, ‘methinks thou doth protest too much,’ when you proclaim absurd ties between the CIA and accused Boston bombers and that is drawing the spotlight of the civilized world to you and your accomplices and activities. Fuller’s earlier role in Turkey with another network of Salafist fundamentalist Islam will be our next view into the murky underworld of intelligence agencies and attempts to manipulate entire parts of the human population.
stickdog99

Postby stickdog99 » Fri May 17, 2013 7:00 pm

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev Left a Note, But No Other Signs of Radicalization

Surviving Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev reportedly told authorities all about his and his brother Tamerlan's motivations for killing three Americans and injuring hundreds more, but "stopped answering questions after getting a lawyer and being told of his right to remain silent." Luckily for investigators, much of the same information was scribbled on the inside of the boat where police found Dzhokhar hiding, according to CBS, and that confession is admissible in court: "The note, scrawled with a pen on the interior wall of the cabin, said the bombings were retribution U.S. military action in Afghanistan and Iraq, and called the Boston victims collateral damage in the way Muslims have been in the American-led wars," John Miller reports. The message said, "When you attack one Muslim, you attack all Muslims."

But whatever Dzhokhar's stated purpose just before his capture, a month of investigation into his ideology has found he "was never truly radicalized," The Wall Street Journal reports — "no frequent visits to jihadi websites, no violent rhetoric, no suspicious purchases." According to officials, while Tamerlan is a textbook "homegrown"/"lone wolf" terrorist, Dzhokhar continues to look like a regular tweeting, pot-smoking, rap-music-listening teenager, who may have been "psychologically dependent on his elder brother." The Journal adds that "while Dzhokhar discussed jihadi themes with his elder brother, his own life indicates little interest in them."
stickdog99

Postby stickdog99 » Fri May 17, 2013 7:06 pm

Now Feds claim to need more time to indict Tsarnaev, having just yesterday invented the most damning "admissible evidence."

Feds: More time needed to indict Tsarnaev

Prosecutors said Friday they will not indict Tsranaev within the 30-day period prescribed the Federal Speedy Trial Act. Sunday marks 30 days since Tsarnaev was arrested following the April 15 bombing.

Prosecutors didn't specify under which exception they'd seek an extension.
stickdog99

Postby stickdog99 » Fri May 17, 2013 7:17 pm

http://bostonherald.com/news_opinion/lo ... s_of_a_rat

The owner of the boat, David Henneberry, told the Herald today he has "no clue" about any writings on his boat, which has been towed away as evidence by the FBI.
stickdog99

Postby stickdog99 » Fri May 17, 2013 7:20 pm

DHS refuses FOIA request for Tsarnaev immigration records

Department of Homeland Security officials are refusing to release immigration documents for ­Tamerlan and Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, citing the agency’s ongoing investigation into the Boston Marathon bombing allegedly carried out by the Chechen brothers.

Both the Boston Globe newspaper and nonprofit watchdog Judicial Watch have requested immigration records and other records related to the bombings through Freedom of Information Act requests.

James Holzer, a senior FOIA officer for DHS, told the Globe on Tuesday he witheld the records based on a law enforement exemption that shields information “compiled for law enforcement purposes, the release of which could reasonably be expected to interfere with enforcement proceedings.”
DHS may also be using the exemption to conceal information that could embarrass the government over its handling of evidence about the brothers, ­Judicial Watch President Tom Fitton told The Washington Examiner.

“This administration is less transparent than the Bush administration,” Fitton said.
stickdog99

Postby seemslikeadream » Fri May 17, 2013 7:25 pm

compared2what? wrote:Thanks, SLAD.

I'd never read that. But I'm glad I have now.

the struggle continues...

do you believe it was written in 1935?

WATCH THIS

EVERY DEATH CREATES NEW ENEMIES
MORE TERRORISTS
MORE DANGER
MORE DEATH
AND REMEMBER...
HE IS JUST GETTING STARTED...
BUSH'S PLAN FOR PEACE
IS THE PEACE OF THE COMMON GRAVE

Wumpscut
Totmacher

sie ahnten nichts von mir
von meiner wilden gier
doch als du kamst zu mir
da wurde ich ein tier
kein gedanke an danach
als ich dir die knochen brach

tot tot tot ich mache dich tot
tot tot tot von blut alles rot

tot

fuer mein naechstes leben
schoepfe ich neue kraft
ich bin dem toeten ergeben
in der einzelhaft

ein dahinsichen
von gottes hand
ich kann dich riechen
und das denken verschwand

tot tot tot tot tot tot tot ich mache dich tot
tot tot tot von blut alles rot tot tot tot tot

ich mache dich tot ich mache dich tot
ich mache dich tot ich mache dich tot

sag mir was du willst
dass du meine sehnsucht stillst
ich mache dich tot fuer immerdar
von blut alles rot auf gottes altar

ich mache dich tot glaub mir es ist wahr
ich mache dich tot auf gottes altar

Wumpscut - Deadmaker

They didn't expect me
never expected my wild lust
I turned into an animal
No thought about afterwards
When I broke your bones

Dead, dead, dead I make you dead
Dead, dead, dead stained from blood so red

Dead

For my next life (life after death in the religious sense)
I get the power I need
I’m a slave to the killing
In solitary confinement

("einzelhaft" (solitary confinment) has become part of the german vocabulary after the terrorist attacks of the Red Army Fraction during the 70's. It's used for people in prison, who are put into complete isolation not just from other people, but from all kinds of information. It's what might be known in the US as "sensual deprivation", a kind of torture-technique to destroy people's self.)

Wasting away
By God’s hand
I can smell you
And my thought disappeared

Dead, dead, dead, dead

I make you dead I make you dead
I make you dead I make you dead

Tell me what you want
That you fill my longing (that you satisfy my desire)
I make you dead for evermore
God’s altar stained from blood so red

I make you dead believe me its true
I make you dead on God’s altar
Last edited by seemslikeadream on Fri May 17, 2013 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby stickdog99 » Fri May 17, 2013 7:28 pm

Robert L. Dupont: It Was Refer Madness That Did It, and My Drug Testing Company Can Solve the Problem

One of the most striking and consistent observations about Dzhokhar, or Jahar as he was commonly known to his friends, was that he was a normal college kid. Evidence of his normality was his heavy marijuana use as a party boy. One student recalled, in an interview with Politico, “He was a pothead, a normal pothead. I couldn’t even imagine him being mad at someone, let alone hurting someone. He would smoke cigarettes, smoke weed, every day. It didn’t seem like he cared about anything. He seemed like a nice, relaxed kid.”

Less recognized among his friends was the academic trajectory of Jahar in college, including receiving failing grades over three consecutive semesters. This was a dramatic change from his academic performance in high school after having received a $2,500 academic scholarship from the city of Cambridge, Mass. It is probable that the collapse of Jahar’s academic ambitions and his heading toward dropout, as his brother Tamerlan had dropped out of college, set the stage for his radicalization. Jahar’s failed college career likely left him vulnerable to the lure of the importance and the celebrity of being a terrorist.

While Jahar’s marijuana use did not directly make him a terrorist, it closed the door to his dreams of being an engineer or physician and it opened the door to his suicidal violence. ...

What if Jahar had been required to take drug tests to obtain and maintain a driver’s license? Might he have changed his behavior if faced with real and immediate certain consequences for his drug use? What about the tens of thousands of kids nationwide who are caught in similar drug-induced downward spirals? New technologies make minimally intrusive drug testing part of a practical approach to preventing and identifying drug problems early. Can our society afford to ignore the measures that are available to encourage young people to find positive drug-free directions for their lives?
stickdog99

Postby stickdog99 » Fri May 17, 2013 7:34 pm

Lawyers Talk Up Importance of Boat Note in Convicting Tsarnaev

Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev allegedly left a note implicating his involvement in the attack, according to CBS News. The discovery of the note could prove critical to the case against Tsarnaev, as questions remain about whether a court will ever see statements he wrote from his hospital bed before he was read his Miranda rights.

The note was scrawled on the interior wall of the boat Tsarnaev was hiding in when he was captured, and it said the bombing was retribution for the U.S. wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. It referred to the victims of the Boston bombing as “collateral damage” and likened them to the Muslim civilians killed in U.S.-led attacks overseas.

“When you attack one Muslim, you attack all Muslims,” the note read.

After a gravely wounded Tsarnaev was taken into custody on April 19, he was questioned by the High-Value Interrogation Group of the U.S. Department of Justice without first being read his Miranda rights. Tsarnaev’s neck injuries prevented him from speaking with law enforcement, but he was able to communicate with gestures and written notes.

As we reported on Lawyers.com, there is an exception to the Miranda rights requirement in cases of public safety. When an immediate threat exists, police can question an “un-Mirandized” suspect only insofar as it serves the interest of neutralizing the threat. This exception was invoked in Tsarnaev’s case, and when he was ultimately read his Miranda rights on April 22, he stopped communicating with investigators.

This presented the risk that the information gathered from Tsarnaev would be inadmissible in court, but the discovery of the note may give prosecutors more options.

Note Implies Voluntary Statements

“With any suspect’s statement, there are two important considerations,” said Boston criminal defense lawyer and former prosecutor David Yannetti. “One is whether Miranda was required and whether it was properly waived, and the other is whether the statement was voluntary. There are a couple of issues here that could potentially impact either the admissibility of the statement or provide an alternative way to get the statement into evidence.”

“The statements made pre-Miranda are problematic from an admissibility standpoint,” Yannetti said. But because Tsarnaev took it upon himself to leave a note implicating himself in the attacks, it “indicates that when he was speaking to police pre-Miranda, his statements were likely voluntary.”

Yannetti said Tsarnaev’s pre-Miranda interviews may still be deemed inadmissible, but “if the Miranda issue leads to the exclusion of the statement, prosecutors could potentially introduce these notes. They’re still damaging.”
stickdog99

Postby stickdog99 » Fri May 17, 2013 7:52 pm

In 50 years of setting up patsies, I'm happy to see that we have progressed from the magic bullet to the magic marker.
stickdog99

Postby seemslikeadream » Fri May 17, 2013 9:42 pm

Boston Suspect’s Writing on the Wall
May 17, 2013
Exclusive: Hiding and near death, Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev reportedly scrawled on the inside of a boat that he did what he did to avenge innocent Muslims killed by U.S. wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, a rare look at the why behind “terrorism,” writes ex-CIA analyst Ray McGovern.

By Ray McGovern

Quick, somebody tell CIA Director John Brennan about the handwriting on the inside wall of the boat in which Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was hiding before Boston-area police riddled it and him with bullets. Tell Brennan that Tsarnaev’s note is in plain English and that it needs neither translation nor interpretation in solving the mystery: “why do they hate us?”

And, if Brennan will listen, remind him of when his high school teachers, the Irish Christian Brothers, taught him the meaning of “handwriting on the wall” in the Book of Daniel and why it became an idiom for predetermined, imminent doom.

Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev.
CBS senior correspondent John Miller, who before joining CBS served in the Office of the Director of National Intelligence, broke the handwritten-note story Thursday on CBS This Morning. He described what Dzhokhar Tsarnaev scribbled on the side of the boat as he lay bleeding “from multiple gunshot wounds” in the boat. Here, according to Miller’s sources, is what Dzhokhar Tsarnaev’s note said:

“The [Boston] bombings were in retribution for the U.S. crimes in places like Iraq and Afghanistan [and] that the victims of the Boston bombing were collateral damage, in the same way innocent victims have been collateral damage in U.S. wars around the world. Summing up, that when you attack one Muslim you attack all Muslims.”

My experience with now-CBS-This-Morning’s Charlie Rose is that he does listen closely. Thus, I believe it is to his credit that he seemed determined, with his follow-up question, to drive home what I think is by far the most important point:

Co-anchor Charlie Rose: “Does it [the note] answer questions about motives?”

Miller: “Well it does … there it is in black and white – literally.”

Co-anchor Norah O’Donnell: “But they still believe he was self-radicalized and not part of a larger group, right?”

Miller: “That’s right. …”

Note to CIA Director Brennan

If you didn’t understand much about such motives three years ago, after Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab tried to down an airliner over Detroit on Christmas Day 2009, here’s a chance to learn. I actually felt embarrassed for you when you – then-White House counter-terrorism adviser – were asked on Jan. 7, 2010, two weeks after the almost-catastrophe over Detroit, to explain why people want to kill Americans. I’m sure you remember; it turned out to be Helen Thomas’s swan song.

It took the questioning of the then-89-year old veteran correspondent Thomas to show how little you were willing to share (or how little you knew) about what leads terrorists to do what they do. As her catatonic White House press colleagues took their customary dictation, Thomas posed an adult query that spotlighted the futility of government plans to counter terrorism with more high-tech gizmos and intrusions on the liberties and privacy of the traveling public.

She asked why Abdulmutallab did what he did: “And what is the motivation? We never hear what you find out on why.” It was a highly revealing dialogue; this is how it went. Remember?

You: “Al-Qaeda is an organization that is dedicated to murder and wanton slaughter of innocents. … They attract individuals like Mr. Abdulmutallab and use them for these types of attacks. He was motivated by a sense of religious sort of drive. Unfortunately, al-Qaeda has perverted Islam, and has corrupted the concept of Islam, so that he’s (sic) able to attract these individuals. But al-Qaeda has the agenda of destruction and death.”

Thomas: “And you’re saying it’s because of religion?”

You: “I’m saying it’s because of an al-Qaeda organization that used the banner of religion in a very perverse and corrupt way.”

Thomas: “Why?”

You: “I think this is a — long issue, but al-Qaeda is just determined to carry out attacks here against the homeland.”

Thomas: “But you haven’t explained why.”

Actually, there is a ton of information explaining why people try, for example, to explode bombs in Times Square, in airliners over Detroit, in remote CIA outposts in Afghanistan just to kill Americans, even when it means killing themselves. [See, for example, Consortiumnews.com’s “Answering Helen Thomas on Why.”]

It was painful to watch you suggest on Jan. 7, 2010, that, apparently in some mysterious way, some folks are hard-wired at birth for the “wanton slaughter of innocents,” and your contention that – in the case of Abdulmutallab – al-Qaeda/Persian Gulf was able to jump-start that privileged 23-year old Nigerian, inculcate in him the acquired characteristics of a terrorist, and persuade him to do the bidding of al-Qaeda/Persian Gulf.

Your words were a real stretch as to how the well-heeled Abdulmutallab, without apparent prior terrorist affiliations, was suddenly transformed into an international terrorist ready to die while killing innocents.

Perhaps no one told you that the young Nigerian had particular trouble with Israel’s wanton slaughter of more than a thousand civilians in Gaza the year before, a brutal campaign defended by Washington as justifiable self-defense. You ought to take the time to learn about these things.

Till next time, Ray.

How to Spin This One

An important element in intelligence analysis is to understand the why, what’s the motive. That doesn’t mean you sympathize with what someone did. It does mean that you understand that knowing why is an important starting point for future prevention of similar acts.

Yet, virtually no one in the U.S. political/media hierarchy has dared to discuss, in a candid way, the issue of motivation. All the American people normally get is boilerplate about how al-Qaeda evildoers are perverting a religion and exploiting impressionable young men.

There is almost no discussion about why so many people in the Muslim world object to U.S. policies so strongly that they are inclined to resist violently and even resort to suicide attacks. So how will the media spin Dzhokhar Tsarnaev’s handwritten note?

Well, we’ve already watched CBS’s Norah O’Donnell come up with the familiar “self-radicalization” shibboleth. She tied the concept to a lack of ties with a larger group, but “self-radicalization” is normally employed to create the impression that hard-wired “violent Muslim extremists” simply look in the mirror one day and say to themselves, My, this looks like a good day to self-radicalize.

Also regularly trotted out is the “homegrown-violent-extremists” moniker employed as recently as Thursday by FBI Director Robert Mueller III in Senate testimony.

Other “mainstream media” and government officials will keep blaming terrorism on Islam, as the Wall Street Journal does Friday in repeating the claim that Dzhokhar Tsarnaev told the FBI earlier that he and his dead brother “were acting as jihadists motivated by Muslim religious anger at the U.S.” (In other words, pay no heed to what he scribbled on the side of the boat as he thought he was dying.)

Rarely has there been any official or quasi-official acknowledgement of the main problem. But there was a major exception in the fall of 2004 in an unclassified study published by the Pentagon-appointed U.S. Defense Science Board. Directly contradicting what President George W. Bush was saying at the time, the board stated:

“Muslims do not ‘hate our freedom,’ but rather, they hate our policies. The overwhelming majority voice their objections to what they see as one-sided support in favor of Israel and against Palestinian rights, and the longstanding, even increasing support for what Muslims collectively see as tyrannies, most notably Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Pakistan, and the Gulf States.”

That’s not spin. That’s the assessment of professionals who were reading the handwriting on the wall.
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion