How Bad Is Global Warming?

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: How Bad Is Global Warming?

Postby Ben D » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:59 am

Iamwhomiam » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:22 pm wrote:
Posting articles on transient weather events does not change the facts concerning the seventeen year hiatus in global warming, do you understand?

Posting articles on the seventeen year hiatus in global warming does not change the facts concerning global warming, do you understand?

Haha...but it does, it means the global warming has ceased for the last 17 years, get it!

Read the journal Nature piece by Jeff Tollefson again...http://www.nature.com/news/climate-change-the-case-of-the-missing-heat-1.14525, AGW climate scientists are looking for the reasons why the warming has stopped.

Read what Kevin Trenberth is saying in that article...he is admitting the hiatus, but naturally as an AGW scientist, he is predicting that the warming will snap back at some time.

But for now, and during the last 17 years, global warming has stalled!
There is That which was not born, nor created, nor evolved. If it were not so, there would never be any refuge from being born, or created, or evolving. That is the end of suffering. That is God**.

** or Nirvana, Allah, Brahman, Tao, etc...
Ben D

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Iamwhomiam » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:07 pm

Sure they're looking for the missing heat.

It's being transferred to the oceans deeps. Which many are aware of

Why are our sea levels rising?

If I were you, Ben, I'd write your MP and the leaders of the 11 Islands That Will Vanish When Sea Levels Rise to let them know they have nothing to worry about, cause we've entered Ben-o-pause.
Iamwhomiam

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Ben D » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:34 pm

Iamwhomiam » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:07 am wrote:Sure they're looking for the missing heat.

It's being transferred to the oceans deeps. Which many are aware of.

No,,the idea of missing heat hiding in the deep ocean in unknown locations proposed by Trenberth is just that..a speculation, and to some, a fanciful one at that...no proof...other climate scientists are speculating that the cessation of warming is the result of a change in Sun activity, others again on the result of volcanic activity...no one really knows at this time. Surprise, surprise, the science is not settled! But what we can all agree on is that global warming has stalled for now, albeit at the high levels of the late 1990's.
There is That which was not born, nor created, nor evolved. If it were not so, there would never be any refuge from being born, or created, or evolving. That is the end of suffering. That is God**.

Ben D

Postby DrEvil » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:08 pm

Ben D » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:34 am wrote:
Iamwhomiam » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:07 am wrote:Sure they're looking for the missing heat.

It's being transferred to the oceans deeps. Which many are aware of.

No,,the idea of missing heat hiding in the deep ocean in unknown locations proposed by Trenberth is just that..a speculation, and to some, a fanciful one at that...no proof...other climate scientists are speculating that the cessation of warming is the result of a change in Sun activity, others again on the result of volcanic activity...no one really knows at this time. Surprise, surprise, the science is not settled! But what we can all agree on is that global warming has stalled for now, albeit at the high levels of the late 1990's.

No, global warming has slowed down for now, from 0.21C per decade to 0.04C per decade, hopefully.
Or it could just be that we don't know where that extra heat went yet (Australia?), even though there's plenty of research pointing towards an explanation. Lacking measurements at the poles, warming of the deep ocean, and yes, the cycles of the sun (Quick question: What do you think will happen when the sun stops cooling us and starts adding to the heat again?), El Nino, etc.
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Postby Ben D » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:39 pm

DrEvil » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:08 am wrote:
Ben D » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:34 am wrote:No,,the idea of missing heat hiding in the deep ocean in unknown locations proposed by Trenberth is just that..a speculation, and to some, a fanciful one at that...no proof...other climate scientists are speculating that the cessation of warming is the result of a change in Sun activity, others again on the result of volcanic activity...no one really knows at this time. Surprise, surprise, the science is not settled! But what we can all agree on is that global warming has stalled for now, albeit at the high levels of the late 1990's.

No, global warming has slowed down for now, from 0.21C per decade to 0.04C per decade, hopefully.
Or it could just be that we don't know where that extra heat went yet (Australia?), even though there's plenty of research pointing towards an explanation. Lacking measurements at the poles, warming of the deep ocean, and yes, the cycles of the sun (Quick question: What do you think will happen when the sun stops cooling us and starts adding to the heat again?), El Nino, etc.

0.04C is not statistically significant given the error margins of measurement, that is why the journal Nature article refers the the last 17 years as a hiatus...a pause in global warming!

You are correct, the journal Nature article shows that AGW science doesn't understand the whys and wherefores of the 17 year temperature hiatus......AGW science global computer models never really expected it.

I have always been consistent in saying that I think that the Earth's climate is too complex for the present human scientific understanding to accurately predict even a decade ahead, not alone a century ahead as the IPCC has done, global temperatures. So I would take anyone's prediction at this stage as just that, their best guess based on their present flawed understanding...the science is not settled.

Ben D

Postby slimmouse » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:27 am

‘The Sun’s activity is at its lowest for 100 years, scientists have warned.

They say the conditions are eerily similar to those before the Maunder Minimum, a time in 1645 when a mini ice age hit, Freezing London’s River Thames.

Researcher believe the solar lull could cause major changes, and say there is a 20% chance it could lead to ‘major changes’ in temperatures.

‘Whatever measure you use, solar peaks are coming down,’ Richard Harrison of the Rutherford Appleton Laboratory in Oxfordshire told the BBC.

‘I’ve been a solar physicist for 30 years, and I’ve never seen anything like this.’

He says the phenomenon could lead to colder winters similar to those during the Maunder Minimum. ’There were cold winters, almost a mini ice age. ’You had a period when the River Thames froze.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... lunge.html

I know, its the daily mail.

But Hey, that should give the big energy cartels even more to cheer about, since if this is true, given the way things currently stand we'll all be forced to buy more of their earth raping solutions
slimmouse

Postby Rory » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:45 pm

Slimmouse said:

"I know it's the Die DailyHATE, but.."

No! Fuck that : you don't get to selectively pick articles from them and pawn it off with a, 'I know it's xxxx, but', disclaimer like that somehow inured you to rebuke?

They are diametrically opposed to everything you profess to love. They represent the worst elements of humanity and you are doing their dirty work every time you post articles from them, inviting others to give them webhits.

Slimmouse - wise the fuck up. You're a better person than they are - don't sink to Ben's level. Posting hate and lies from cunts like Die HATEMail
Rory

Postby slimmouse » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:56 pm

Rory » 19 Jan 2014 18:45 wrote:Slimmouse said:

No! Fuck that : you don't get to selectively pick articles from them and pawn it off with a, 'I know it's xxxx, but', disclaimer like that somehow inured you to rebuke?

They are diametrically opposed to everything you profess to love. They represent the worst elements of humanity and you are doing their dirty work every time you post articles from them, inviting others to give them webhits.

Slimmouse - wise the fuck up. You're a better person than they are - don't sink to Ben's level. Posting hate and lies from cunts like Die HATEMail

Well Rory.

I guess there's nothing like a rational factual argument to support your thinking.

Do you have any evidence to directly contradict the notion that 99.9% of the "mass" ( electromagnetic force) of our solar system is probably a larger influence on the climate of our earth than mere carbon emmissions, be bhey man made or otherwise?

And speaking of "man made carbon emissions", do you believe they are still truly neccesary, other than perhaps for the purposes of civilisational taxation?

I think its time to stop the control system raping the earth, along with the rest of us.

And I still trust it can be done if we get our act together/
slimmouse

Postby Ben D » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:41 pm

Has the Sun gone to sleep?...interesting BBC Video here....http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-25771510

Ben D

Postby Rory » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:28 pm

slimmouse » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:56 pm wrote:
Rory » 19 Jan 2014 18:45 wrote:Slimmouse said:

Well Rory.

I guess there's nothing like a rational factual argument to support your thinking.

Do you have any evidence to directly contradict the notion that 99.9% of the "mass" ( electromagnetic force) of our solar system is probably a larger influence on the climate of our earth than mere carbon emmissions, be bhey man made or otherwise?

And speaking of "man made carbon emissions", do you believe they are still truly neccesary, other than perhaps for the purposes of civilisational taxation?

I think its time to stop the control system raping the earth, along with the rest of us.

And I still trust it can be done if we get our act together/

What are you on about? Like your friend in obfuscation, Sounder, you move the goalposts any time you find something uncomfortable.

And to your point '"man made carbon emissions", do you believe they are still truly neccesary' - I've been asking for some time what the alternate energy sources are. If they are there, where are they and why aren't they being used?

As for the cosmic radiation canard - http://www.skepticalscience.com/cosmic- ... vanced.htm

Debunked and marginalized, though still clearly in circulation with the anti-science folk.
Rory

Postby smiths » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:03 pm

its a bet, possibly the greatest bet of all time

option 1 - Do nothing

Either
Climate change turns out to be planetary or solar variation, pre 20th century norms return
Life on Earth not completely fucked
Massive ignorant dickheads have a field day for all wrong reasons,
Or
Climate change turns out to be human exacerbated and catastrophic feed back cycle kicks in
Life on Earth completely fucked and its too late to do anything
Greenies cry because being right about the destruction of life provides no satisfaction, ignorant dickheads are still ignorant dickheads

option 2 - do everything we can to clean up our way of life

Either
Climate change turns out to be planetary or solar variation, pre 20th century norms return
Life on Earth not completely fucked
we all live in cleaner more sustainable way anyway, everyone laughs cos life on Earth is a good thing
Or
Climate change turns out to be human exacerbated and we have collectively done everything we can to stop it
Life on Earth not completely fucked because we apply ourselves to offsetting worst effects
Surprise bonus' flow from genuine collective action and a more holistic approach to living on Planet Earth
Greenies feel proud because everyone tries their best, ignorant dickheads are still ignorant dickheads

only a complete fucking retard would pick Option 1
the question is why, who, why, what, why, when, why and why again?
smiths

Postby Iamwhomiam » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:22 am

Say Rory, How about you forego future use of the "C word," hmm?

I know it's frustrating but being the wise beings we believe we are, that word should be relegated to times long past.

You're right, smiths. Do nothing but cross our fingers hoping for the best or break our tails assuring the worst can never happen due to man's profound ignorance of the fragility of our environs.

It's like when someone posed the question to Einstein about whether he believed God existed. He said something to this effect, that it is better to believe he does exist than to deny his existence.

If god does exist and you do believe in his existence before dying, you need fear nothing.

However, if you deny his existence during your lifetime and he does exist, well, I wouldn't want to be that guy when he dies and realizes what his gross error will bring.

Far better to err on the side of precaution than to fiddle as the world burns.
Iamwhomiam

Postby Rory » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:28 am

I won't make any promises, iawia

'Cunt', is an entirely appropriate invective form when describing or referring to the Daily Mail. Sorry if it offends you, but I'm not sorry for describing them as such.

How about nobody quoting from them or posting links to there in future - then nobody needs talk about them?
Rory

Postby Iamwhomiam » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:36 am

Oh, I certainly understand the sentiment, but the word is disparaging to women especially and has misogynistic roots.

"Vile" would serve the purpose better, imo more accurately, and would not offend any of our RI compatriots.

I still love ya.
Iamwhomiam

Postby coffin_dodger » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:52 am

Iam, I remember reading, from several different sources (none that I can cite right now) that the more localised weather/climate will change unpredictably and sporadically during the warming period (the next, say, 1 -100 years) i.e. some places will get colder, some hotter, some wetter, windier, etc, but with the trend ending and 'settling' in an overall warming of some 4-6 degrees. This interim period of changing weather conditions will become increasingly 'violent' as the global weather systems are altering to a different pattern.

I keep wondering to myself, at what point will people sit up and say "WTF is up with the weather, dude?" or "oh shit, this is really happening". I have a horrible feeling it will be something like a 110 degree fahrenheit day in the middle of winter, or waking up to flooding 200 miles from the coast. Too late, as usual. I suppose even those extremes could be explained as 'down to freak weather', but I also wonder what the excuses will be (to keep us from being frightened, and thus less productive) once the weather events really start to rock n roll.
coffin_dodger

Blog: View Blog (14)

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion