True Detective on HBO

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

True Detective on HBO

Postby RocketMan » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:19 pm

The series has a very RI vibe right from the start, but shit gets real in the fourth episode.

I highly recommend you check it out.

-I don't like hoodlums.
-That's just a word, Marlowe. We have that kind of world. Two wars gave it to us and we are going to keep it.
RocketMan

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: True Detective on HBO

Postby seemslikeadream » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:21 pm

I watched the first episode last night...skinny Matthew :)

right after finishing the 4th season of Boardwalk Empire
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby elfismiles » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:37 pm

I've been wanting to watch it but every time I try to stream it via xbox / HBOgo it just buffers and rebuffers making it unwatchable. <sigh> :wallhead:

What I've seen and heard looks GREAT though.
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby RocketMan » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:52 pm

It has certain themes which again make me wonder whether some of the high weirdness subjects discussed here are finally bubbling up to the surface of the culture... and not in a glib, facetious way, but seriously... or even solemnly, as is the case with this series.
-I don't like hoodlums.
-That's just a word, Marlowe. We have that kind of world. Two wars gave it to us and we are going to keep it.
RocketMan

i don't want nothin' if i have to fake it

Postby IanEye » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:18 am

i think i lost it
let me know if you come across it
let me know if I let it fall
along a back road somewhere

money can't replace it
no memory can erase it
& i know i'm never gonna find
another one to compare

IanEye

Blog: View Blog (29)

Postby seemslikeadream » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:37 am

if you ever hear that church bell toll

i have one last favor i ask you

Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby Laodicean » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:35 am

From the dusty May sun
Her looming shadow grows
Hidden in the branches of the poison creosote
She twines her spines up slowly
Towards the boiling sun
And when i touched her skin
My fingers ran with blood

In the hushing dusk under a swollen silver moon
I came walking with the wind to watch the cactus bloom
And strange hands halted me, the looming shadows danced
I fell down to the thorny brush and felt the trembling hands

When the last light warms the rocks
And the rattlesnakes unfold
Mountain cats will come to drag away your bones

And rise with me forever
Across the silent sand
And the stars will be your eyes
And the wind will be my hands
Laodicean

Blog: View Blog (16)

Postby Laodicean » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:52 am

RocketMan » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:52 pm wrote:It has certain themes which again make me wonder whether some of the high weirdness subjects discussed here are finally bubbling up to the surface of the culture... and not in a glib, facetious way, but seriously... or even solemnly, as is the case with this series.

This scene in particular. Obvious spoilers and perhaps triggering...

Laodicean

Blog: View Blog (16)

Postby Luther Blissett » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:41 pm

I don't think this is much of a spoiler, but a really brief quote from one of the characters' questioning last night was something about a "group of rich people down south who worship satan and sacrifice women and children."
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Postby jakell » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:38 pm

I wasn't very impressed with the raid on the 'crack house', as a change of pace it was not handled too well IMO.

The image of ZZ Top lookalikes wearing police uniforms** was bizarre and made no sense to me. I tried to view it as a surreal dream type sequence, especially with the amount of drugs that had been imbibed, but I had the overall impression that it was not intended this way. I'll keep watching, but this bit seemed out of touch with the quality up to that point.

** and the one clean shaven guy wearing m/c gang colours.
" Orwell feared those who would deprive us of information. Huxley feared those who would give us so much that we would be reduced to passivity and egoism"
jakell

Postby sunny » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:58 pm

jakell » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:38 pm wrote:I wasn't very impressed with the raid on the 'crack house', as a change of pace it was not handled too well IMO.

The image of ZZ Top lookalikes wearing police uniforms** was bizarre and made no sense to me. I tried to view it as a surreal dream type sequence, especially with the amount of drugs that had been imbibed, but I had the overall impression that it was not intended this way. I'll keep watching, but this bit seemed out of touch with the quality up to that point.

I haven't watched this and hadn't intended to--dadblabbit--but it sounds like what I call 'the True Blood effect', which I noticed rippling out to American Horror Story last year. [not Coven, which blech, but Asylum with it's Paperclip Nazi/alien abduction/hypnotic suggestion themes. Some AHS personnel also involved with TB] Basically it involves subverting a subversion of a subversion, and only after peeling a very Chapel Perilous onion may you finally reach the truth. So..beware is all I'm saying.
Choose love
sunny

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby jakell » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:24 pm

sunny » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:58 pm wrote:
jakell » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:38 pm wrote:I wasn't very impressed with the raid on the 'crack house', as a change of pace it was not handled too well IMO.

I haven't watched this and hadn't intended to--dadblabbit--but it sounds like what I call 'the True Blood effect', which I noticed rippling out to American Horror Story last year. [not Coven, which blech, but Asylum with it's Paperclip Nazi/alien abduction/hypnotic suggestion themes. Some AHS personnel also involved with TB] Basically it involves subverting a subversion of a subversion, and only after peeling a very Chapel Perilous onion may you finally reach the truth. So..beware is all I'm saying.

As I said, because it is a sudden change of pace, it could be seen as something happening outside of the main storyline, the trouble is that it is also an action sequence that moves the plot along in a decisive way, so is hard to regard as intentionally surreal.

It's also pretty quick and forgettable, which does give the impression of carelessness. It just stuck with me because I was left with a slightly deflated WTF? feeling.
" Orwell feared those who would deprive us of information. Huxley feared those who would give us so much that we would be reduced to passivity and egoism"
jakell

Postby sunny » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:42 pm

jakell » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:24 pm wrote:
sunny » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:58 pm wrote:

As I said, because it is a sudden change of pace, it could be seen as something happening outside of the main storyline, the trouble is that it is also an action sequence that moves the plot along in a decisive way, so is hard to regard as intentionally surreal.

It's also pretty quick and forgettable, which does give the impression of carelessness. It just stuck with me because I was left with a slightly deflated WTF? feeling.

'Sudden', 'surreal', and 'change of pace' are practically required. The action sequence might in fact 'move the plot along' or it might serve as a red herring which only appears to move the plot along. It's all wrapped up in von Trier's concept of the 'Lookey', which are intended to covertly discredit first impressions:

If you watch von Trier's latest film, a comedy called The Boss Of It All, you might notice between five and seven unusual, out of context, things. Nothing unusual there for a von Trier film, it might be thought, but no. They are deliberate. They are Lookey.

"For the casual observer, it's just a glitch or a mistake," he tells industry website Screendaily.com. "For the initiated, it's a riddle to be solved. All Lookeys can be decoded by a system that is unique."

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2006/d ... mnews.film

Like I said, beware. TD sounds like a real mind-fuck doozy.
Choose love
sunny

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby chump » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:25 pm

^^
You're gotdamn right! Don't watch it! They're shooting all over the place! The acting is exceptional... The characters are despicable! Totally believable!! You feel like you're there! The scenes are fuckin' wild... Almost funny - but maybe too close to the truth!!

chump

Postby jakell » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:00 am

chump » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:25 am wrote:^^
You're gotdamn right! Don't watch it! They're shooting all over the place! The acting is exceptional... The characters are despicable! Totally believable!! You feel like you're there! The scenes are fuckin' wild... Almost funny - but maybe too close to the truth!!

The idea of someone who has been out of touch for a while, walking into a m/c gang's inner sanctum wearing colours (someone else's colours? I couldn't tell), with hardly a glance was not very believable.

Maybe another surreal plot device, maybe just sloppy who can tell? Maybe we'll see about the ZZ Cop scene later (he was pretty high)
jakell

Next

Return to General Discussion