The Psychology of Cognitive Dissonance

Postby conniption » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:33 pm

The Psychology of Cognitive Dissonance - The Eyeopener

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yUiq9o9kHI
boilingfrogspost

Published on Mar 25, 2014

SUPPORT BFP: http://ur1.ca/ge4h7
TRANSCRIPT AND SOURCES: http://www.corbettreport.com/?p=8926

The theory of cognitive dissonance was first posited by American social psychologist Leon Festinger in 1957 to explain the discomfort and mental stress that we feel when our beliefs, ideals or values don't match up to reality.

Festinger's theory states that when people are in a state of dissonance, that is, when their beliefs or values don't match up with their behaviour or experiences, they will adjust those beliefs or values, or even adjust their perception of reality, in order to achieve consonance. Furthermore, Fesinger showed that people will actively avoid situations or information that might challenge those beliefs and values in order to avoid dissonance.

Find out more about cognitive dissonance, how to spot it, and what to do about it on this week's Eyeopener report.
conniption

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: The Psychology of Cognitive Dissonance

Postby jcivil » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:04 pm

Basically.

CD is what reason has countered fitfully for 60,000 years.

Ay.

Important topic to suss.
Stand Firm!
jcivil

Postby jakell » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:07 am

I don't get what this video is trying to say. I tend to be more forgiving when it's a body of text, but when someone has gone to the trouble of producing a video, I look for more than a set of rambling suggestions.

It starts off with a look at what CD is, which is basically the place where our singular minds meet the complex world outside. In other words a natural result of our growth. Is it saying that CD is a bad thing? because if so, there are plenty of meme jockeys out there who will sell us a more comfortable way of being in the world.
Is this the simplisitic message of the video, that we should eschew CD?

CD as defined here is basically a personal thing, unless we are speculating about some sort of 'group mind', which would be a very different subject, and this is where the video falls down, because it then goes on to suggest that CD as being similar to the contradictory utterances of powerful people and politicians ie it's somehow 'out there'.

Looks like someone has got rather carried away with this two word phrase and ran right out of ball park with it.

Intuition: 10
Rigour: Absolute zero.
" Orwell feared those who would deprive us of information. Huxley feared those who would give us so much that we would be reduced to passivity and egoism"
jakell

Postby Sounder » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:04 am

Ha, ha, ha, check out Chomsky at the five minute mark.

What a glorious fool.

He says people cannot keep 'secrets' and the 'conspirators' would not risk the firing squad, then he adds to finish that if that did happen it doesn't matter because; who cares anyway? WTF!!

This is what the 'left' gets for having a high priest such as Chomsky.

He helps people suppress their dissonance for a time, but at the cost of turning progressives into hypocritical fools.
All these things will continue as long as coercion remains a central element of our mentality.
Sounder

Postby 82_28 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:38 am

Intuition 10
Rigor 10

Aside from his dorky assed voice, he is covering a smattering of media outtakes. It was via the media how this shit fell in our laps. Thus video clips are useful in order to glimpse the era.

I was watching some documentary about Welles' War of the Worlds yesterday and found it fascinating that it had never occurred to me that its effectiveness (while fictional) was due to a newly adopted technology (radio). People believed what they heard from their machines they likely rented. It was all so new. To hear such an event would have been an impossible to understand jolt to the emotions of people with no exposure to this new radio technology. I think or surmise or guess that this is basically what 9/11 means to us (glued as we were to the TV). The emotions of humans were not upgraded in the 1930s while technology has certainly outpaced it. It plays on the same fears. This time, it had to get real. What "real" is, is open to interpretation.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby jakell » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:41 am

Sounder » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:04 pm wrote:Ha, ha, ha, check out Chomsky at the five minute mark.

What a glorious fool.

He says people cannot keep 'secrets' and the 'conspirators' would not risk the firing squad, then he adds to finish that if that did happen it doesn't matter because; who cares anyway? WTF!!

This is what the 'left' gets for having a high priest such as Chomsky.

He helps people suppress their dissonance for a time, but at the cost of turning progressives into hypocritical fools.

I'm pretty sure that Chomsky decided fairly early on that the 9/11 issue was something that he wasn't going to get entangled with. A fairly wise route IMO, although, with external pressures, you are going to end up looking a fool either way, and he chose the sort of fool he was going to be.

I've been in a similar situation, and had to make similar choices. It takes a certain level of maturity to make that choice and not give yourself wholly up to manipulation.
" Orwell feared those who would deprive us of information. Huxley feared those who would give us so much that we would be reduced to passivity and egoism"
jakell

Postby 82_28 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:49 am

Chomsky. What a fraud. He has to know he's full of shit. Either that or he knows he's the go-to leftist on tenure, getting on in the years lived department. It's one thing to document atrocities but another to stand against them. I don't know if I will ever understand what Chomsky's role ever was as to my coming of age era. Ten years ago his shit was passed around like illegal bibles.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby jakell » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:49 am

82_28 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:38 pm wrote:Intuition 10
Rigor 10

Aside from his dorky assed voice, he is covering a smattering of media outtakes. It was via the media how this shit fell in our laps. Thus video clips are useful in order to glimpse the era.

I was watching some documentary about Welles' War of the Worlds yesterday and found it fascinating that it had never occurred to me that its effectiveness (while fictional) was due to a newly adopted technology (radio). People believed what they heard from their machines they likely rented. It was all so new. To hear such an event would have been an impossible to understand jolt to the emotions of people with no exposure to this new radio technology. I think or surmise or guess that this is basically what 9/11 means to us (glued as we were to the TV). The emotions of humans were not upgraded in the 1930s while technology has certainly outpaced it. It plays on the same fears. This time, it had to get real. What "real" is, is open to interpretation.

So where's the rigour? To me, rigour consists of putting a decent frame around the media outtakes that ties them together, and the only attempt at that that I could see was some pop psychology related to a two word phrase, which seemed an irrelevency to me.

We may apply some rigourous interpretation outside of the video, but that is us. I couldn't spot any rigour within the video.
jakell

Postby jakell » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:56 am

82_28 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:49 pm wrote:Chomsky. What a fraud. He has to know he's full of shit. Either that or he knows he's the go-to leftist on tenure, getting on in the years lived department. It's one thing to document atrocities but another to stand against them. I don't know if I will ever understand what Chomsky's role ever was as to my coming of age era. Ten years ago his shit was passed around like illegal bibles.

Has it occurred that the mistake lies in the eye of the beholder, that to hold one person up as the 'go to guy' in all things is a massive error that is bound to produce dissillusionment in the long run.

He's not the messiah he's just a very naughty boy. Why this craving messianic figures continues to exist in so-called intellectuals is an interesting question.
jakell

Postby 82_28 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:03 am

The rigor is in the accepted frame of time. I see what you're saying. However, like I said, it was just a smattering. While unimpressed, I always enjoy any kind of footage that allows a glimpse into the past.
82_28

Postby Sounder » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:19 am

I'm pretty sure that Chomsky decided fairly early on that the 9/11 issue was something that he wasn't going to get entangled with.

But he does get entangled, as do we all, and when he does, he shows himself to be the utter fool/tool that he is.

And not only on the 911 issue.
Sounder

Postby jakell » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:34 am

Sounder » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:19 pm wrote:
I'm pretty sure that Chomsky decided fairly early on that the 9/11 issue was something that he wasn't going to get entangled with. A fairly wise route IMO, although, with external pressures, you are going to end up looking a fool either way, and he chose the sort of fool he was going to be.

But he does get entangled, as do we all, and when he does, he shows himself to be the utter fool/tool that he is.

Yep like I said, he was going to be a fool either way, and he made a choice.

He has avoided personal entanglement, which is the one that really counts, the entanglement that others thrust upon you cannot be avoided, just addressed and parried.
jakell

Postby coffin_dodger » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:59 am

Cognitive dissonance strikes me as pretty important, when factored with the continued localized alienation of urban sprawl communities.

It's difficult, time consuming and oftentimes unpleasant thinking about exactly what is being done by government, in your name.
Ally this with nodding-acquaintance communities - most of whom are far too busy spending time with family and trying to make ends meet to discuss the intricacies of Deep State - ensures a great recipe for suppression of dissent in recent years.

The dissent / breakdown of CD does seem to be growing slowly, though. Which worries me (I'm a worrier) because there's nothing new to replace the old in terms of societal direction. The 'strong leader' scenario seems likely as the ultimate outcome of increasingly confused people looking for direction in their lives.
coffin_dodger

Blog: View Blog (14)

Postby brainpanhandler » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:22 pm

I wish I had more enemies like Chomsky.
"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Martin Luther King Jr.
brainpanhandler

Postby Lord Balto » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:25 pm

jakell » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:34 am wrote:
Sounder » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:19 pm wrote:

Yep like I said, he was going to be a fool either way, and he made a choice.

He has avoided personal entanglement, which is the one that really counts, the entanglement that others thrust upon you cannot be avoided, just addressed and parried.

You appear to be suffering from cognitive dissonence. I thought the video, as all of Corbett's videos from the safety of Japan, was well thought out and clearly presented. This is a YouTube video. One would not expect a well footnoted doctoral thesis, after all.

As to whether the problem is exclusively cognitive dissonace, I would suspect that a large portion of it is simply the unwillingness of most folks to actually think deeply about something. Have you never had an exam in a college physics course at 8:00 in the morning and felt the real pain in your brain from having to solve a word problem? It's easier to just parrot what some authority figure tells you than to have to think about and reach your own conclusions. Why do you think there is so much advertising?
Lord Balto

Next

Return to General Discussion