Bill Cosby abuse allegations

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Bill Cosby abuse allegations - why no scandal?

Postby justdrew » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:47 am

of course, after the death of his son Ennis, by...

Mikhail Markhasev, an 18-year-old Ukrainian immigrant, had bragged that he'd shot a black man and that the case was on the news.

Born in Lviv, Markhasev had come to the U.S. in 1989 with his mother, attending a program for gifted children in West Hollywood, where a teacher described him as well-liked and well-behaved. But, after moving to Los Alamitos, California, in 1992, he began hanging out with a gang and exhibiting racism. In 1995 Markhasev and other gang members attacked two African American men with a knife at a gas station and served six months at a juvenile correctional facility. According to a friend, his time in the facility changed him, and he seemed more combative and angrier upon his release.

Prosecutors said that Markhasev, after demanding money from Cosby, shot him in the head because he was moving too slowly. Markhasev's DNA was found on a knit cap wrapped around a gun found five miles from the crime scene, and the gun was matched to the bullet that killed Cosby.

Letters written by Markhasev while in jail were presented at his trial. In one letter, Markhasev wrote: "I shot the nigger .... I went to rob a [drug dealer] and obviously found something else."

In 1998 Markhasev was sentenced to life in prison without parole, plus 10 years, for first-degree murder and attempted robbery.

... it seems he could have become an influential voice for gun regulation etc. and IIRC some tentative steps in that direction were taken. So coming up with some allegations to 'destroy' him would just be Standard Operating Procedure for several groups. Since he shut up about it and went more or less semi-silent for almost two decades, it seems they could well have backed off and decided they didn't need to go through the trouble of pressing the allegations.

That's possible too, as long as people want to consider possibilities.
By 1964 there were 1.5 million mobile phone users in the US
justdrew

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby 82_28 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:00 am

I love too that at the end he said to "check it out at the library". As far as the book. Then he signed off looking pissed.

Hahahaha!
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Blog: View Blog (0)

hikky burr

Postby IanEye » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:50 pm

probably the best thing he ever did.

chlamor » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:23 pm wrote:Cosby is a scumbag.

IanEye

Blog: View Blog (29)

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:19 pm

Queen Latifah cancels Bill Cosby interview

Actor/comedian Bill Cosby performs onstage at Funny Or Die Clubhouse + Facebook Pop-Up HQ @ SXSW - Day 2 on March 10, 2014 in Austin, Texas. (Photo by Jonathan Leibson/Getty Images)

Lauren McCutcheon
Posted: Friday, October 31, 2014

snip

Just sayin'

Speaking of alleged crimes against women, TMZ reported that "The Queen Latifah Show" decided to nix an interview with Philadelphia's own Bill Cosby.

Last week, as reported by my columnist colleague Molly Eichel, up-and-coming comedian Hannibal Buress did stand-up at the Tower and brought up the ugly old business of the women who accused Cosby of drugging and date-raping them.

Buress got a laugh. The world got a reminder. The Daily Mail interviewed an alleged victim.

Old news got new again.

The CBS talk show told the Cos no thanks.
"Huey Long once said, “Fascism will come to America in the name of anti-fascism.” I'm afraid, based on my own experience, that fascism will come to America in the name of national security."
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Blog: View Blog (37)

Postby 82_28 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:52 am

Welcome to the Internet, Bill Cosby.

The Emmy-winning comedian and actor, 77, came under fire on Monday, Nov. 10, when he asked his Twitter followers to meme him. The request backfired excruciatingly as Cosby's dark past was brought to the forefront.

In a tweet that has since been deleted, The Cosby Show star posted a throwback photo of himself grinning and reading "HAPPY MONDAY!" The message linked to a meme generator (which has also been pulled) and the star wrote, "Go ahead. Meme me! #CosbyMeme."

PHOTOS: Stars at Court

Presumably expecting good-natured jokes referencing his family-friendly stand-up routines and eponymous sitcom, Cosby endured something entirely different. Rather than riffing on Dr. Heathcliff Huxtable, Twitter users focused on Cosby's history of sexual misconduct charges.

Using provided photos of the star, meme-makers wrote messages such as "I just googled 'Bill Cosby' and 'rape,'" and "Define 'drugged.'"

PHOTOS: Bill Cosby as Cliff Huxtable

Cosby's past allegations were recently brought back into light when writer Mark Whitaker released a biography about the actor, which blatantly excluded any mention of the years of legal troubles Cosby faced.

Just weeks after the book's release, comedian Hannibal Buress took it upon himself to touch on the charges in a stand-up set in Philadelphia on Oct. 16. Calling Cosby a "rapist," Buress brought up the numerous women who have alleged that the star drugged them and inappropriately touched them.

PHOTOS: Celebrity Meltdowns and Scandals

"Thirteen?" Buress, 31, said of the number of women who have made complaints against Cosby. "It's even worse because Bill Cosby has the f---ing smuggest old black man public persona that I hate… Yeah, but you raped women, Bill Cosby. So, brings you down a couple notches. I don't curse on stage. Well, yeah, you're a rapist, so, I'’ll take you saying' lots of motherf---ers on Bill Cosby: Himself if you weren't a rapist. …I want to just at least make it weird for you to watch Cosby Show reruns. …I've done this bit on stage, and people don't believe. People think I'm making it up. …That s--- is upsetting. If you didn't know about it, trust me."

While Cosby has made little comment on his history of sexual misconduct allegations, 13 unnamed women were included in a case brought against the funnyman in 2005. He later settled out of court in 2006, and women included in the original case have since come forward with their stories.

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-new ... t-20141111
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby Luther Blissett » Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:09 pm

The allegations are somewhat of a normal part of culture here. For me personally, I always hoped something was being done about it, without really examining that closely. This predates Buress, and maybe even the decade-old survivor testimony - I thought I learned about it when I first moved here 16 years ago.

Here's an anonymous quote from a friend of mine (trigger warning):

At Penn relays once (2008) we were all on the field and he was behind the winning girls on the podium and I was right behind him and his hands went right to the girls crotch from behind and he was just mauling it and the girl was terrified but didn't know what to do because it's bill Cosby . (The girl was) Prob 13 or 14 or 15. I remember it so clearly. Thinking that this guy has had free reign over anything he's wanted for so long that he just assumes anything he does is ok. I even Went back and forth making excuses like maybe he didn't know what he was doing or maybe I was having an acid flashbavk. Your brain does not want to accept bill Cosby is capable of such disgusting acts, and it sorta short circuits.
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Postby redsock » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:52 pm

Washington Post, November 13, 2014
"Bill Cosby raped me. Why did it take 30 years for people to believe my story?"

http://www.washingtonpost.com/postevery ... -my-story/
redsock

Re: hikky burr

Postby 82_28 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:25 am

IanEye » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:50 am wrote:
probably the best thing he ever did.

chlamor » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:23 pm wrote:Cosby is a scumbag.

Wow, Ian! I'd never seen that documentary before. Very, very powerful! It actually makes me re-think his MO. Confused. . .
82_28

Postby RocketMan » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:35 pm

Now this is pure RI territory, I had the faintest inkling starting this thread that it would evolve to this. Withered fruit sent to antagonistic journalists way after the interview? Along with personally signed, threatening notes? Lawdamercy!!!

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/11/bill ... he-creeps/

“Tell me what you want to ask and we’ll see how it goes,” he told me, speaking slowly and measuring his words. “If it doesn’t go well, I’ll give you a piece of fruit. I’ll give you an apple or pear and you can be on your way.”

[...]

Less than a week after the story was published, I received a package at AP’s world headquarters, which was then at 30 Rockefeller Plaza. This was years before 9-11 so of course I opened it without trepidation.

Inside was a sheet of paper with three typed words: “Here’s your apple.” The signature in black ink read “Bill Cosby.” And wrapped in a paper towel was indeed an apple, dried and withered.

I marveled at the time that a man in his position would go to the trouble of locating a dead apple, placing it in a paper towel, finding out the address of the Associated Press and mailing it to me.

Bill Cosby may not be responding to the allegations against him but I wish he’d tell me, among other things, where he even found an old, withered apple.

Did he keep a store of dying fruit with him at all times to send to errant reporters? Did he assign a flunky to get the apple, type out the letter and bring it to him to sign or did he do it himself?
-I don't like hoodlums.
-That's just a word, Marlowe. We have that kind of world. Two wars gave it to us and we are going to keep it.
RocketMan

Postby Tyler Rabbit » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:18 pm

Hahah that actually kinda makes me like him again..
Tyler Rabbit

Postby RocketMan » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:24 pm

[Columbo like] Oh, and just one more thing.

I find it interesting, in the original article referred (http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2 ... 75,2829957), and in Cosby's general image, and in the larger African-American culture, this blasted self-hatred. This pandering to the white overclass I find disgusting. The crisis of the African-American family? I direct your attention to class issues, to issues of the distribution of wealth and its effects on the psyches of those afflicted.

I say, black families have PERSERVERED, despite the Uncle Toms (yes, I use that word advisedly), the Don Lemons of this world.

There was some article about the pernicious effect of some routine by Chris Rock... ok, Imma Google it.... Ok here it is

http://www.salon.com/2014/11/12/chris_r ... ad_blacks/

Anyway, I hope Chris Rock isn't harbouring some dark secret, but this talk about "the crisis of the black family" needs to end... Or whatever they call it, is it the Discombobulation of the Black Family these days? Anyway, it's ridiculous, switching the responsibility to the family unit for a clearly societal level problem. I as the whitest guy ever have had with it! Bring on the black culture and all the myriad ways they have thrived under white supremacy!

Party on.
-I don't like hoodlums.
-That's just a word, Marlowe. We have that kind of world. Two wars gave it to us and we are going to keep it.
RocketMan

Postby RocketMan » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:28 pm

Tyler Rabbit...

Come...

again?
-I don't like hoodlums.
RocketMan

Postby 82_28 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:22 pm

I think Tyler was referring to the video Ian linked. It was quite powerful and compelling.
82_28

Postby Nordic » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:56 pm

Suddenly today I remembered there were rumors about Cosby and Lisa Bonet during the Cosby Show years. That they had had some sort of "affair" when she was still very young, ie underage. Maybe it was more of this stuff.

Just did a search but couldn't find anything.

This really makes me wonder about the murder of his son. Can't help but wonder if an angry father was behind it. Imagine if you found out this guy had drugged and raped your teenage daughter.
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby Tyler Rabbit » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:26 am

82_28 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:22 pm wrote:I think Tyler was referring to the video Ian linked. It was quite powerful and compelling.

Oh I just meant that he sent a dried apple to a reporter. It's just random and weird.. I was never really a fan.
Tyler Rabbit

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion