Open Carry Texas Schedules Armed March Black Neighorhood

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Open Carry Texas Schedules Armed March Black Neighorhood

Postby seemslikeadream » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:04 am

Open Carry Texas Schedules New Date For Armed March Through Black Neighborhood

By: Justin Baragonamore from Justin Baragona
Tuesday, July, 15th, 2014, 7:19 pm

Open Carry Texas, a gun rights advocacy group, announced that they have scheduled their march through the Fifth Ward in Houston. The march, which was initially scheduled for Juneteenth but postponed at the last minute, will feature open-carry enthusiasts marching through the streets of the predominantly black Houston neighborhood carrying long assault rifles. The group has gained notoriety in recent months due to their publicity stunts which have featured members entering restaurants and stores with their assault rifles on full display. Apparently, the group has decided to up their game.

CJ Grisham, the founder of Open Carry Texas, decided to address the criticism his group has encountered regarding this planned march. When the march was first scheduled, Grisham and the group came under intense criticism for a variety of reasons. Even after OCT postponed the march, the group was under fire due to the appearance of racial insensitivity. OCT posted the following late Monday evening on the group’s website:

“We are not going to be marching through 5th Ward,” said OCT Founder CJ Grisham, “we’re going to hopefully be marching with 5th Ward.”

Open Carry Texas believes that Texas’ gun laws continue to be rooted in racism. In order to obtain a concealed handgun license in Texas, one needs to shell out over $250 in fees and requirements to do so. According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the poverty rate in Texas was 14.4% in 2010, the date of the last census. In the African-American community, the poverty rate was 27.1%, nearly twice the state poverty rate and almost three times higher than non-Hispanic whites. In other words, the extreme cost to obtain a license in Texas – over $250 – disproportionately prevents African-Americans from getting one.
Texas law prevents anyone convicted of a Class B misdemeanor or higher from qualifying for a concealed handgun license for at least five years. The convictions do not need to be related to violence or even involve a gun. Some examples of “crimes” that will cause you to lose your CHL or fail to qualify for one are littering, writing a hot check, or even certain traffic infractions not involving another person.

Much like the Jim Crow laws of the past, Texas gun laws seem geared towards preventing the minority community from exercising their rights. We aim to change that.
Open Carry Texas also announced that they’ll have a real-life black person marching with them, Maurice Muhammad. As Liberaland pointed out, Muhammad is a radical who promotes the killing of police officers on his Facebook page. He also is apparently the leader of a group that openly wishes for a race war. Liberaland also pointed out that OCT’s blog entry is more about Grisham’s own issues with the law than his concerns about the black community. While he talks a big game about unfair laws regarding gun ownership, and he positions himself as some kind of civil rights fighter, the reality is that he himself has a conviction on his record and cannot apply for a conceal-carry license. Which is likely the reason he started this group in the first place.

Anyway, these gun nuts plan on marching through the Fifth Ward on August 16th. Once again, like they claimed last time, this is only supposed to be a peaceful demonstration as well as a charitable action. They just want to educate the residents of the area. They positively, absolutely do not want anything unseemly or ugly to occur. Nuh-uh. No way. And this time, no one can claim it is all just a bunch of white guys marching through a black neighborhood carrying a bunch of guns. Because they got a black guy with them. It is totally cool now.

Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Re: Open Carry Texas Schedules Armed March Black Neighorhood

Postby elfismiles » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:20 pm

http://archive.kvue.com/weather/images/ ... apitol.jpg

Have had at least 2 of my volunteers this morning mention that they saw folks with AR-15s on their backs walking over to the cap building for a rally...

Open-Carry Activists Are Storming the Texas Capitol with Homemade Guns
January 13, 2015 / By Allie Conti / Staff Writer
http://www.vice.com/read/open-carry-act ... e-guns-113

High Noon 01.13.15
Open Carry Crowd Makes ‘Ghost Guns’ For Texas Lawmakers
To celebrate three proposed open carry bills, a fringe group convened at the Texas capitol with a 3-D machine that can make assault rifles.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... akers.html

Gun Rights Advocates to Build Weapons at Capitol
by Morgan Smith / Jan. 6, 2015
http://www.texastribune.org/2015/01/06/ ... s-capitol/

Gun Rights Group Plans Protest At Capitol
Posted Tuesday, January 13th 2015 @ 5am by iHeartRadio’s Cliff Saunders

The Texas Legislature opens up for business this morning. One of the issues they will deal with is open carry. And it’s an issue that will literally be brought to their doorstep today.

The gun rights group Come And Take It Texas will bring a 3D printer called the 'Ghost Gunner' to the steps of the Capitol and manufacture the lower receiver of an AR-15. Group President Murdoch Pizgatti told KTRH why they're doing it.

“It’s about asserting your rights. These are rights that we have that they are trying to turn into privilege by giving us licenses and fees to pay,” Pizgatti said.

His group wants a 'Constitutional' open carry bill. CJ Grisham of Open Carry Texas told KTRH he disagrees with their tactics.

“I don’t understand the purpose of it and what it does to fulfill what we’re trying to get passed in the legislature this session,” Grisham said.

But Pizgatti disagrees and says they aren't trying to pick a fight.

“I don’t understand how it would be confrontational. We’re just exercising our rights, doing things that are legal. Just like how we’ve been open carrying our rifles for the last two years,” Pizgatti explained.

Pizgatti's group expects to have a thousand people at his rally today. Grisham’s group will hold a rally later this month carrying empty holsters instead of weapons.

Read more: http://www.ktrh.com/articles/houston-ne ... t-13143175

See also:

NBC: Gun Rights Massively Expanding(Powder Keg?)
Post by 8bitagent » 20 Aug 2014 07:33
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=38367

Guns (Yawn)
Post by JackRiddler » 24 Jan 2013 21:54
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=35991

Bring Your Sidearms To The Banks of the Potomac.
Post by barracuda » 18 Mar 2010 04:36
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=27532
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby American Dream » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:57 pm

"Racial sensitivity"?- the gap in these matters would take a lot of work to remedy:

Texas Open Carry Advocates Are Using a Black Panthers Tactic as They Go ‘Cop-Watching’

Jan. 5, 2015 11:47am Zach Noble

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015/01 ... -watching/

Open carry advocates may be copying Black Panther tactics, but a racial divide persists in the armed challenge to law enforcement.

Armed black groups like the Huey P. Newton Gun Club in South Dallas have risen up, challenging police much as the Arlington cop watchers do, but efforts to bring black and white open carry, anti-authority elements together have been less than successful.

In July, when Open Carry Texas announced a planned armed walk through Houston’s majority-black Fifth Ward, they were blocked and threatened by the New Black Panthers, who told them they were not welcome in the community and that they would be matched “gun for gun.”

Open Carry Texas backed off and the walk didn’t happen.

“It was supposed to be Fifth Ward with Open Carry Texas, not Open Carry Texas in Fifth Ward,” Open Carry spokesman Tov Henderson told Vice. ”We wanted to stand with African Americans and say, ‘Hey, you guys have rights—stand up and take them. Firearms make us equal to those who aggress us.”

“We saw it as a move of intimidation—we didn’t see it as people expressing their Second Amendment rights,” responded Darren X, national field marshal of the New Black Panther Party. “They have other places to do that than the black community. The black community is full of guns. We already know our rights when it comes to guns.”

United or not, the cop watchers seem resolved to continue.

Not a huge fan of the New Black Panthers, but see also:

http://www.vice.com/read/huey-does-dallas-0000552-v22n1
American Dream

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:11 am

Bunch of white people walk into a predominantly black neighbourhood with assault rifles, and claim to be there to support their rights. Seems totally above board to me...
Joe Hillshoist

Postby Pele'sDaughter » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:01 am

If they really wanted it to be a community event, they would've reached out to pastors, community leaders, and the New Black Panthers.
Don't believe anything they say.
And at the same time,
Don't believe that they say anything without a reason.
---Immanuel Kant
Pele'sDaughter

Postby elfismiles » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:12 am

Yeah, the 2 vols of mine who noted this to me ... one is a Vietnam vet (and thought the folks he saw were goobers) and the other is a 2nd amendment / conceal carry advocate but he also thought these open-carry folks were bad PR for gun-rights advocates.

I've not seen any local coverage yet and just found this...

Fort Hood Survivor Rallies For Constitutional Gun Carry
Soldiers demands his gun rights back
by Infowars.com | January 13, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqMzxj21XXA

While open carry advocates handed out literature to representatives inside the capitol building a survivor of the 2014 Fort Hood shooting expressed his desire to see constitutional gun carry passed in Texas.

http://www.infowars.com/fort-hood-survi ... gun-carry/
elfismiles

Postby elfismiles » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:20 am

Open carry advocates out in force as Legislature opens
http://www.dallasnews.com/news/politics ... -opens.ece

Open Carry Gun Advocates Harass Texas Lawmaker (Video)
By Michael Allen, Tue, January 13, 2015
http://www.opposingviews.com/i/society/ ... aker-video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbfxRQRQOTY

UPDATED: Open carry advocates barnstorm the Capitol on opening day (Video)
Marissa Barnett Follow @marissambarnett Email mbarnett@dallasnews.com
Published: January 13, 2015 4:07 pm
http://trailblazersblog.dallasnews.com/ ... -day.html/
http://video.dallasnews.com/?ndn.tracki ... d=28349761

Murdoch Pizgatti works on a Ghost Gunner gun manufacturing machine at a Come and Take It gun rally during the first day of the 84th legislative session outside the Texas state capitol on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 in Austin, Texas. (Ashley Landis/The Dallas Morning News)

Gun rights activists lobby for open carry in Austin (Video)
http://www.khou.com/story/news/politics ... /21716495/

Latest gun stunt only hurts open-carry cause
By Lisa Falkenberg|
January 6, 2015 | Updated: January 7, 2015 11:11am
http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/co ... 997830.php

From last month...

Open carry groups to hold competing Capitol demonstrations
Posted on December 19, 2014 | By Lauren McGaughy
http://blog.chron.com/texaspolitics/201 ... strations/
elfismiles

Postby 82_28 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:02 pm

The thing I can't stand is the bullshit! Duh. But I remember when they banned supersoakers in HS. They also banned our skateboards. Then they banned, but allowed tobacco. Then they banned the open campus.

But that was pretty much the extent of anything. These Texan idiots are a force to be reckoned with. I was talking to my brother the other day and the subject came up. He lives in Arizona and we got to talking about how he sees these idiots rolling around everywhere with fucking guns on their hip. He's with his kids and shit and I told him to tell the fucking moron to leave that shit in the car as I do not want my children to be normalized to seeing guns in places where they should not be. I don't want my kid picking out an orange in the produce section next to some guy with a motherfucking gun. I think guns are just basically jewelry for these people. There is absolutely no reason to need a gun. For the umpteenth time, I bartended, bounced etc for many years. I always thought to myself maybe, just maybe I need a gun. Answer was fuck no.

I did like my fancy star wars blaster when I was a kid though.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby seemslikeadream » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:34 pm

8 White People Who Pointed Guns At Police Officers and Managed Not to Get Shot
White guys get arrested; black guys get shot very often in similar cases.
By Harmon Leon / AlterNet January 12, 2015

When a white guy is seen wandering around in public waving a gun, the police usually try to talk him down; he’s probably just having a bad day. Even if the white guy happens to be pointing his gun directly at an officer, his interaction with the police is unlikely to end in the exchange of gunfire. This is called white privilege.

Recent history suggests there’s a certain methodology for how police handle nearly identical gun-related incidents: white guys get arrested, while black guys get shot. Outraged? If not, you need to pay attention.

1. Armed White Guy Has Standoff With Police, Then Gets His Gun Back

Last May, an armed Michigan man had a standoff with the police as he stood in front of a Dairy Queen waving a loaded rifle around and angrily shouting. When cops arrived, the man, Joseph Houseman, refused to identify himself, grabbed his crotch, flipped the bird, and cursed them out. Houseman was intoxicated and didn’t have an ID. For 40 minutes, the police tried to get the belligerent man to put his weapon down. All the while, he was screaming, “The revolution is coming,” and accusing the cops of being a “gang." He told the police he had a legal right to "threaten" police officers and their families.

Excerpt from their encounter:

JOSEPH HOUSEMAN: That's my First Amendment right.

POLICE: No it's not. You can't swear.

HOUSEMAN: That's bullshit. I can threaten you if I want to.

POLICE: That's incorrect.

HOUSEMAN: I can threaten you. I can threaten your family. I didn't threaten your family; I said I could.

POLICE: You said a war was coming.

HOUSEMAN: I didn't say a war was coming.

POLICE: You said a revolution is coming.

HOUSEMAN: Think about it. You know it is.

When Houseman refused a Breathalyzer test, officers decided not to give him his gun back. Instead, he was told to come to the police station and claim it the next day. He did, and his gun was safely returned.

2. White Guy Points Gun at Police Officers and Children During Hour-Long Standoff

In August, a San Diego man got out of his parked car with a loaded 9mm pistol and proceeded to point it at police officers and small children who were playing in a local park. The police proceeded to spend the next hour trying to talk the man, Lance Tamayo, into putting down his weapon.

Can you guess the man’s race? That’s right, he’s a white guy!

As terrified children were forced to hide in the bathroom, Tamayo rushed toward the officers with his weapon pointed at them and at a police helicopter flying overhead.

Eventually, an officer shot Tamayo once in the stomach to put him down. He fell to the ground, but his gun remained within reach. The police then called Tamayo on his cell phone and spoke with him for 15 minutes before he agreed to surrender. He was arrested and charged with exhibiting a firearm in the presence of peace officers.

3. White Man Arrested Twice For Road Rage With a Gun

In October, a Tennessee man was arrested for waving a loaded gun during a road rage incident involving another man and his son. E.J. Watson confronted the pair when they came to a stop, exited his vehicle with his pistol tucked in the front of his pants and was very belligerent, cursing and making derogatory remarks.

The victims called 911, and police pulled Watson over a few miles from the weapon-wielding episode. His car was littered with empty beer cans as well as a loaded Smith & Wesson revolver. Watson refused to exit his vehicle and had to be physically removed. Only three months earlier, he was arrested for a separate drunken road rage incident.

Good thing for Watson he was white—otherwise he might not be alive today.

4. White Guy Arrested for Firing BB Gun at Officers

A 22-year-old from New Hampshire faces one count of reckless conduct after firing a BB gun at Concord police in September. The two police officers were making a routine traffic stop at an intersection when the man opened fire from a nearby apartment building. They arrested the culprit, Jesse Deflorio, who was on already on probation for a similar incident. The judge residing over the case commented that he was worried about the white guy’s safety following the most recent BB gun-firing episode. Poor white guy.

Tamir Rice, 12, was walking around a Cleveland park, holding a toy gun that uses nonlethal plastic pellets. A police cruiser pulled up and within two seconds Rice was shot and killed by rookie officer Timothy Loehmann.

5. Two White Men Shoot Up Walmart With BB Gun and Live to Tell the Tale

Two Idaho men were taken into custody after shooting up a Walmart with a BB gun. Both were intoxicated. They walked into the Post Falls Walmart and proceeded to remove BB guns from boxes, before loading one and firing it four times while in the store. Walmart security contacted police, saying the two men “started shooting the gun in the store and made comments that they were going to shoot the store up.” According to one Walmart employee, the drunken men approached him and asked if he wanted to join them in their shooting spree.

The two white guys were taken into custody without incident, instead of being shot and killed on the spot.

However, on August 5, John Crawford III was shopping at a Walmart in Dayton, Ohio when he picked a BB rifle off the shelf from the sporting goods section. As he walked around the store fiddling with the gun and talking on his cell phone, another shopper called police to report a black man carrying an AR-15 assault rifle. The shopper told police that Crawford, “looked like he was going to go violently.” Crawford was shot and killed by police while in the store.

On the 911 call, the dispatcher can be heard saying “Walmart, a black male, six foot, wearing a blue shirt, blue pants, in the …section, holding a gun, pointing…”

There you have it: in two incidents involving men carrying BB guns in the same chain store: the white men were arrested and the black man was killed.

6. White Guy Arrested After Pointing Gun at Pennsylvania Police Officers

Just this month,Pennsylvania State Police arrested a man after he reportedly pulled a gun on officers. Jed Frazier had driven his car off the road into a ditch. When police approached the vehicle, the man pulled a handgun from his coat pocket and pointed it at police.

Officers took shelter and tried to talk the man into dropping his loaded weapon. Finally, the police broke the windows of his car, extricated the man and arrested him, all without firing a shot.

Want to guess the man’s race?

7. White Woman Dressed In Body Armor Arrested After Shooting Into Cars and Pointing Gun at Police

It’s not just white guys who get all the privilege—sometimes white women do as well.

Just before the new year, a Tennessee woman was arrested after driving around shooting at passersby, leading police on a chase and pointing her gun at an officer. Two people were at a stop sign when Julia Shields pulled up in a sedan and fired shots into their vehicle, hitting and disabling the radiator. A rash of 911 calls reported Shields pointing her firearm at people as she passed, and firing at another vehicle in the same area. Once cops arrived, she led them on a short chase.

Fortunately for Shields, she is white and was arrested without incident or injury.

8. White Man Arrested After Pointing Gun at Phoenix Firefighters During Hour-Long Standoff

A mentally disturbed white man was arrested in Phoenix after pointing a gun at firefighters during an hour-long standoff. Steven Whitlock opened his apartment door with a gun in his hand when firefighters stopped by to conduct a welfare check. The firefighters dropped their equipment and ran for cover. Whitlock then grabbed their equipment and barricaded himself in his apartment.

Police engaged in an hour-long standoff with Whitlock, before forcing themselves into his apartment and taking him into custody.

Compare that with what happened to Kajieme Powell, who was shot and killed by St. Louis police after walking toward them with a knife while screaming, “Shoot me, kill me now."

Police ordered the mentally disturbed black man to drop the knife, and when he didn’t they shot him. So much for trying to talk him down; as long as the perpetrator is black, officers can shoot first, and ask questions later.
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:47 pm

Pele'sDaughter » 15 Jan 2015 01:01 wrote:If they really wanted it to be a community event, they would've reached out to pastors, community leaders, and the New Black Panthers.

I agree. I nearly wrote something similar in the above comment.
Joe Hillshoist

Postby Pele'sDaughter » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:54 am

I would, indeed, expect you to agree with that based on reading all of your posts. I would expect all rational people to understand, so I see this move as grandstanding and race baiting. :wallhead:
Don't believe anything they say.
And at the same time,
Don't believe that they say anything without a reason.
---Immanuel Kant
Pele'sDaughter

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:23 pm

Its totally race baiting.

What do they think would happen if someone started shooting at them or even just pointed a gun? Or if a bunch of resident all came out of their homes with weapons? As if the open carry mob would then rip out the beers and steaks and chuck em on a barbie for everyone...

I reckon they wanted a gunfight.

"If the cops were shooting blacks why can't we..."
Joe Hillshoist

Postby Tyler Rabbit » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:50 am

Bet they're praying for a hurricane or some other natural disaster so they can shoot people rather than just intimidating them..
http://www.thenation.com/article/katrin ... n-race-war
http://blog.nola.com/notesonneworleans/ ... _abou.html
Tyler Rabbit

Postby elfismiles » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:22 pm

www.HueyPNewtonGunClub.wordpress.com

http://trailblazersblog.dallasnews.com/ ... itol.html/

During SXSW-2015 while Tx Leg are debating Open Carry:

3 or so hours ago...

About an hour ago on E. 6th St. (east of 35), New Black Panthers test the waters. I believe this is the first post 9-11 demo of its kind in ATX.
elfismiles

Postby elfismiles » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:46 am

Black Panthers Call For Killing of Police During SXSW Armed March
"A pig is a pig that's what I said, the only good pig is a pig that's dead!"
by Infowars.com | March 16, 2015
http://www.infowars.com/black-panthers- ... med-march/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feY0diCOp-Y
elfismiles

Next