True Detective on HBO

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: True Detective on HBO

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:51 am

BrandonD » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:02 pm wrote:
I felt compelled to comment because the above quote, the type that is designed to shame people who take the "paranormal" seriously, is the type of thing I'd expect to see outside of RI, not within the walls.

And you know I take the paranormal quite seriously, so....nope, that's not what I'm saying. Guruilla nailed my response almost verbatim. There were very real monsters and secrets that never got unwound -- Osip's "board," Ani's entire trauma, and whatever the fuck Caspere was really up to.

For the record there's also a fourth option: "I can't stand the slow pacing and florid writing and didn't think this was a good TV show." I have no response for that one because it's 100% valid.
Wombaticus Rex

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Luther Blissett » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:07 pm

BrandonD » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:02 pm wrote:
Wombaticus Rex » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:27 pm wrote:1) "I felt like there were all these tantalizing occult angles but they wound up being so mundane."
Yes, Virginia, that's Earth. There are only men behind those hoods, there is only lust behind those incantations.

Not necessarily.

From my POV you've moved from critiquing a TV show into making a sardonic debunker-style proclamation about the "real world", one that I don't agree with, and one I don't believe you're in a position to make with the certainty you are projecting.

I'm open to being corrected if I'm wrong.

I felt compelled to comment because the above quote, the type that is designed to shame people who take the "paranormal" seriously, is the type of thing I'd expect to see outside of RI, not within the walls.

My first thought upon reading that was "maybe we'll see a ufo coverup in season 3." Wouldn't that be exciting? I feel that to avoid jumping the shark, though, they should focus on something that's an established but hidden part of canonical U.S. history: MK-Ultra, Midnight Climax, Paperclip, Mockingbird, Bakken, Pine Ridge, prison-industrial complex, the militarization of the police, the New Jim Crow, etc. Not that I don't count ufos as canonical U.S. history, but it would be a hard sell for most.

There don't seem to be any real rumors about the direction. Tons of speculation about casting but I couldn't care less, other than adding more diversity.
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:56 pm

Daniel Hopsicker's latest. Wasn't sure if this would be better in this thread or another.

True Detective: Chicago, El Chapo, & Vince Vaughn’s Mom
"Huey Long once said, “Fascism will come to America in the name of anti-fascism.” I'm afraid, based on my own experience, that fascism will come to America in the name of national security."
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Blog: View Blog (37)

Postby Hunter » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:00 pm

http://jaysanalysis.com/2015/08/11/the- ... -season-2/

The Hidden Meaning of Season 2. Some interesting analysis for the RI minded.
Hunter

Postby Forgetting2 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:01 pm

Hunter » 12 Aug 2015 12:00 wrote:http://jaysanalysis.com/2015/08/11/the-hidden-meaning-of-true-detective-season-2/

The Hidden Meaning of Season 2. Some interesting analysis for the RI minded.

Good stuff. Thanks.
You know what you finally say, what everybody finally says, no matter what? I'm hungry. I'm hungry, Rich. I'm fuckin' starved. -- Cutter's Way
Forgetting2

Postby guruilla » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:03 pm

The first podcast is up, here

Content summation:

First of a two-part psycho-exploration of Nic Pizzolatto’s True Detective season 2 with Lovecraftian Heather Poirier, on comparisons to season 1, the armature of espionage, plot as a delivery device, the implacability of archetypal forces, Greek tragedy and the underworld, the death drive, Oedipus, the scapegoat mechanism, and the structure of detective fiction, class structure, expanding agency, and Frank’s failed ascendancy, transportation and double society, Frank’s naive bid for legitimacy, the inaccessibility of multi-generational lines of power, ancestral poisons, tearing apart the tropes, intentional opacity of plot, season two’s midway slump, sound and texture in season 2, parallels with The Counselor, the bleakness of defeat, the irony and futility of Greek tragedy, Pizzolatto’s sowing of doubt & fanning the tiny flame of hope, killing Frank, Frank’s will to power and the walk into the abyss, Woodrugh and the power of concealment, confounding expectations, season 1 backing away from the implications of conspiracy, social engineering and unrevealed hidden agendas, the ancient impulse, the impossibility of justice, a Pavlovian system, the protecting wall, controlling Woodrugh, the reward-and punishment control system, Antigone’s quest to bury her brother, Ray & Antigone’s core pain, who is in who’s underworld, the art of handling people by keeping them triggered, gods like men/men like gods, everybody gets touched, innocence unregained, what is immortality, money & children, children as currency, how Woodrugh is handled, masculine impotence and lack of autonomy, the id and the eternal return, Woodrugh’s death plan, the American Dream and the child within, the puer aeternus, the new Eden, “new year, new you,” being locked in the past, having all your boxes ticked and fate sealed, getting to the core pain, acceptance of pain and maturation, autonomy through defeat, the beginnings of integrity, Ray’s broken pieces, Colin Farrell’s facial hair, why cops are less effective, the necessity of sacrifice, the false hope of leaving the underworld, Pizzolatto’s use of names and language, conspiracy culture and season 1, everybody becomes an investigator, the absence of interrogations in season 2, fair play in detective fiction, Mad Men a soap opera about social engineering, Don Draper’s Esalen epiphany and the spiritualization of advertising, Snow Crash and weaponized memes, The King in Yellow, the wages of the American Dream.

First part of the written piece is here. Most of it already appeared at this thread, but part two will be all-new material. With thanks to Wombat for his friend's take on ep's 5 & 6 and the Heroic Journey Fantasy.
It is a lot easier to fool people than show them how they have been fooled.
guruilla

Postby Laodicean » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:49 pm

Everything's ending. Time to wake up.
Laodicean

Blog: View Blog (16)

Postby guruilla » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:51 pm

I love how Ray disguised himself as Brad Pitt. :D
guruilla

Postby Laodicean » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:58 pm

Dope remix. Spoilers.
Laodicean

Blog: View Blog (16)

Postby zangtang » Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:58 am

I do so hate missing out - & obviously in a big way.......

will have to get my 'man who can' on the appropriations case.......
zangtang

Postby Monk » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:22 am

The problem with the first season is a lack of resolution. The conspiracy behind the murders, the supernatural elements, and even the subplots were hardly dealt with; additional episodes would have helped.

For the second, I stopped after the second episode, and the main reason (problems with the plot) have already been mentioned.
Monk

Postby justdrew » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:30 am

well, I just powered thru all 8 of S2. I've waited and listen to the critics, but actually, all together, it works for me, good show, probably better than 1st season in some ways. I can totally see waiting a week between episodes would have sucked, much better to watch closer together.

I'll see about writing more later, but I did want to speak up for it.
By 1964 there were 1.5 million mobile phone users in the US
justdrew

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby guruilla » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:38 pm

Piece I wrote at Disinfo on TD 2 Weaponized Memes:

http://disinfo.com/2015/08/true-detecti ... zed-memes/
guruilla

Postby RocketMan » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:32 pm

Wow, that is very good. It came up on my Facebook feed via Disinfo recently and here I am finding out it's one of RI's own! :angelwings:
-I don't like hoodlums.
-That's just a word, Marlowe. We have that kind of world. Two wars gave it to us and we are going to keep it.
RocketMan

Postby elfismiles » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:55 am

ImageThe Horror of the Unreal
By Peter Bebergal

Thomas Ligotti says, “I tend to stipulate in my work that the world by its nature already exists in a state of doom rather than being in the process of doom.”
Credit Courtesy Chris Mars / Chris Mars Publishing

The TV show “The Walking Dead” is one long exercise in tension. But the zombies—the supposed centerpiece of the show’s horror—are not particularly frightening. Gross, to be sure, but also knowable, literal. You can see them coming from yards away. They are the product of science gone wrong, or of a virus, or of some other phenomenal cause. They can be destroyed with an arrow through the brain. More aberration than genuine monsters, they lack the essential quality to truly terrify: an aspect of the unreal.

http://www.newyorker.com/books/page-tur ... the-unreal
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion