Abortion Clinics, White Christian Terrorism & GOP Candidates

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Abortion Clinics, White Christian Terrorism & GOP Candidates

Postby seemslikeadream » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:15 pm

Abortion Clinics, White Christian Terrorism and GOP Candidates
By Juan Cole | Nov. 28, 2015 |

By Juan Cole | (Informed Comment) | – –
Americans are more at risk from violence by armed white Christian fanatics than they ever were from Muslims.
Abortion clinics have been targeted for violence by fundamentalist Christians of a violent bent for decades. In 2009, Dr. George Tiller was relentlessly shot to death by Scott Roeder, who insisted that the good doctor was satanic because he performed abortions. Dr. John Britton was murdered in 1994 on similar grounds. A strain of Christianity in the United States has never accepted Roe v. Wade, which made it a woman’s right to have an abortion. Not accepting it for oneself is a matter of conscience, and there is nothing wrong with that. But not accepting it for other people is a form of coercion aimed at depriving them of a legal right.
Deploying violence against people to halt abortions is the textbook definition of terrorism, which in the 1990s the Federal Code sensibly defined as non-state actors using violence against civilians to achieve a political aim. Much violence and coercion at Planned Parenthood (only 3% of its activity has to do with abortion) is inspired by Christian fundamentalism.
On this point, Christian ultra-conservativism agrees with the point of view of the Malik school of law among Muslims. In essence, Christian terrorists are attempting to move the United States on the below map away from a modern European norm, where abortion is elective up to a certain point in pregnancy, to an Afro-Asian and Maliki Muslim norm where it is often forbidden except to save the mother’s life (or not even then).
There are four legal schools within Sunni Islam, the Maliki, Hanbali, Shafi’i and Hanafi. Ironically, the Hanbali, Shafi’i and Hanafi schools of Sunni Islam allow abortion, the Hanafi until day 42, and the Shafi’i until 4 months– and so they are more liberal on this issue than much Evangelicalism or Roman Catholicism. The Qur’an, like the Bible, doesn’t mention the issue.
Even mainstream GOP politicians (and apparently most of the presidential candidates) now want to ban abortion even in cases of rape or where the mother’s life is in danger, exalting the rights of the fetus and its father over that of the adult woman. Marco Rubio recently switched to this extreme position. Carly Fiorina famously melted down over a figment of her imagination — a video she said depicted a Planned Parenthood abortion wherein the aborted fetus was still alive, a video that does not exist (and what she may be referring to was probably footage of a miscarriage and certainly not at PP). I.e., the Republican Party is now to the right of conservative, Maliki Morocco on the abortion issue, which is planning to make the procedure legal in cases of rape or incest.
If a Muslim came on American television and fulminated against abortion on the basis of a videotape that does not exist, one can imagine the reaction– and that person would now be being accused of incitement, which most commentators will avoid doing to Fiorina. If a Muslim shot up a Planned Parenthood clinic, he’d be sent to Gitmo and the US military would go on alert. There is a double standard for anti-abortion terrorists because they tend to be white Christians.
What Christian and Muslim absolutists on abortion cannot accept is that women will have abortions one way or another, and making them illegal just drives them underground and makes them much more harmful to all concerned. In Morocco, it is estimated that there are 600-800 illegal abortions every day, which take a toll on women’s physical and mental health. That is roughly 2.2 million illegal abortions every decade in that country. Unlike states such as Texas, which have found ways of closing almost all abortion clinics in the state, Morocco is actually somewhat liberalizing its law.
More like the conservative US position is Saudi Arabia. Wikipedia notes:
“Abortion in Saudi Arabia is only legal if the abortion will save the woman’s life or if the pregnancy gravely endangers the woman’s physical or mental health.[1] In Saudi Arabia, any approved abortion requires consent from three physicians as well as the patient and her husband or guardian.[1] If an abortion is performed on a woman for any other reason, the violator may be required to pay blood money to the fetus’ family.[1] Laws explicitly deny abortion to families who fear financial instability or an inability to provide the child with education.”
The same Christian fundamentalists who fulminate most loudly against “sharia law” (medieval Muslim canon law) are perfectly happy to impose their own, Christian sharia on secular American society. Some of them are willing to deploy violence to that end, making them religious terrorists. But on this issue, there increasingly isn’t much difference between the American Republican Party and the Wahhabi clerics in their Riyadh madrasas. In both cases, religious, theological doctrines are being made the basis of public law, which is un-American and actually unconstitutional (the First Amendment refers to that as Establishment of religion, which it forbids).
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Re: Abortion Clinics, White Christian Terrorism & GOP Candid

Postby General Patton » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:38 pm

seemslikeadream » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:15 am wrote:Americans are more at risk from violence by armed white Christian fanatics than they ever were from Muslims.

Depends on whether you're talking about bodycount or something more abstract, like who your political enemies are.

Abortion clinics have been targeted for violence by fundamentalist Christians of a violent bent for decades. In 2009, Dr. George Tiller was relentlessly shot to death by Scott Roeder,

The total dead from anti-abortion violence before this stood at 8 people in about 25 years. That's not including kidnapping, stalking, threats, ect.
штрафбат вперед
General Patton

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby seemslikeadream » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:40 pm

T-E-R-R-O-R-I-S-M

HOW ABOUT ALL THE WOMEN WHO CAN'T GET ABORTIONS

I guess for you they don't matter...only if they're dead?

The only useful woman is a dead woman...in your mind

The war on women is not a war at all: It’s a one-sided assault by sad, insecure little men

“Delays in abortion are serious in terms of increased risk of morbidity and mortality,” Rochat said.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby General Patton » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:53 pm

seemslikeadream » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:40 am wrote:T-E-R-R-O-R-I-S-M

HOW ABOUT ALL THE WOMEN WHO CAN'T GET ABORTIONS

I guess for you they don't matter...only if they're dead?

To be entirely honest I don't care if they live or die either way. Whoever it is we're referring too, that holds true. It's far beyond my emotional bandwidth to care.

My point is this: if this form of terrorism was a regular occurrence people would be more well adjusted to it and it wouldn't be as effective as a scare tactic. Nidal Hasan got swept under the rug as workplace violence, even after his connections to Al-Awlaki were made known. It may been a good idea to do so to avoid copycat attacks (though that wasn't the only motivation), you don't give terrorists free publicity. Fighting terrorism isn't a public enterprise. You make a show of standing strong and not letting it effect you. This isn't what I'm seeing (but then again, I've yet to watch CNN/MSNBC yet), they're jumping on the polarization bandwagon again.
штрафбат вперед
General Patton

Postby General Patton » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:54 pm

seemslikeadream » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:40 am wrote:The only useful woman is a dead woman...in your mind

Indeed, I do not care about strangers as a general rule.
штрафбат вперед
General Patton

Postby seemslikeadream » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:55 pm

Starting October 29, 2013, these laws went into effect:

No one can get an abortion if they are over 20 weeks of gestation, or 22 weeks if calculated from the last monthly period
Medication abortion (early, non-surgical abortion done with pills) will require up to four visits with the same doctor. First, 24 hours in advance for a sonogram. Then for the first and second doses of the drug. Lastly, abortion patients will have to return within 14 days for a follow-up visit.

Starting November 1, 2013:

all Texas abortion doctors must get admitting privileges at a hospital within 30 miles of their clinic.

What this all means:

About one third of clinics in Texas will have to stop providing abortion services immediately – most of these clinics will likely close down.
If you are more than 20 weeks pregnant you will not be able to get an abortion in Texas. If you can travel to New Mexico or elsewhere, later abortion is still legal outside of Texas.
It is and will continue to be illegal to use pills to induce an abortion if you did not get them from a doctor who is authorized to provide these medicines. For more information on laws about abortion pills, please visit Women on Waves.

Starting in September 2014:

All Texas abortion clinics will have meet the requirements for Ambulatory Surgical Centers
This means there will only be six abortion clinics in the state – two in Houston, and one each in Austin, San Antonio, Dallas and Fort Worth.
People across the state will have to travel hundreds of miles to access safe and legal services. Anyone seeking an abortion in west Texas or the Rio Grande Valley will have to travel the farthest distances.
You can read the full text of HB2 here.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby seemslikeadream » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:23 pm

General Patton » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:54 am wrote:
seemslikeadream » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:40 am wrote:The only useful woman is a dead woman...in your mind

ok well that's it then ...isn't it?
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby General Patton » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:46 pm

seemslikeadream » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:23 pm wrote:
General Patton » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:54 am wrote:

ok well that's it then ...isn't it?

It is.

If you are reacting instead of setting the pace of the fight your enemy will have a very easy time playing you. This is part of the reason why Trump is capable of gaining steam so quickly and effectively.
штрафбат вперед
General Patton

Return to General Discussion