Cop-Rage: LEOs-as-Aggressors Master Thread

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Cop-Rage: LEOs-as-Aggressors Master Thread

Postby elfismiles » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:09 am

Is there an existing thread for examples of out-of-control "law enforcement" besides specific TSA, Taser, Warrior Cop angles?

The "Former LAPD Officer's Manifesto & Shooting" thread contains the excellent example of the cops unloading on an innocent bystander after misidentification:

Female Paper Carrier, 71, Shot During Manhunt (Video)
02/08/13 - by Chris Burrous, KTLA 5 Anchor-Reporter
http://ktla.com/2013/02/08/women-delive ... or-ex-cop/

Police seeking Dorner opened fire in a second case of mistaken identity
Torrance police say the man was driving a pickup resembling the fugitive's. The incident happened just after the LAPD fired on women delivering newspapers nearby.
February 09, 2013|By Robert Faturechi and Matt Stevens, Los Angeles Times
http://articles.latimes.com/2013/feb/09 ... g-20130210

... and there are cases within the Taser thread of cops losing there shit and tazing folks in ridiculous circumstances which endanger more than protect.

Some of these cases may be RAGING / Rampaging scenarios but a lot of them seem like just the scaredipants cops over-reacting to situations where in the past, well-trained and "normal" police would have reacted entirely differently.

The case that leads me to post this may not be either of these but ... we'll see. It involves a possible over-reaction by a campus cop in San Antonio over a probable drunk-driving student. Maybe the 23 year old was drunk and did something really stupid but the ear-witness report of 5 or 6 quick shots seems to imply an excessive response.

Crime
Texas college student shot dead by campus police officer
Robert Cameron Redus, 23, died early Friday morning after a struggle with a cop during a traffic stop near the University of the Incarnate Word in San Antonio.
ByVictoria Taylor/ NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Saturday, December 7, 2013, 2:15 PM
Cameron Redus via Facebook

Robert Cameron Redus, shown here in Costa Rica in 2011, died early Friday morning after an altercation of some kind at a traffic stop with a campus police officer.

A Texas college student was fatally shot following an incident with a University of the Incarnate Word police officer a few blocks from campus, the Alamo Heights Police Department said.

Robert Cameron Redus, 23, was pulled over for allegedly speeding and driving erratically early Friday, KTRK reported.

RELATED: GUNMAN KILLED NEAR NORTH CAROLINA COLLEGE AFTER PURSUIT ON CAMPUSImage
Cameron Redus via Facebook

Cameron, as he was called, was described by friends as 'the sweetest, kindest, gentlest person.'

During the traffic stop near the university’s San Antonio campus, Redus and the officer, who has been identified as Cpl. Chris Carter, got into some kind of altercation, Alamo Heights police Lt. Cindy Pruitt said.

The officer radioed for help, and multiple shots were fired. Redus was pronounced dead on the scene.

RELATED: CA MAN CHARGED IN STREETCAR KILLINGImage
KTRK

Redus graduated from Baytown Christian Academy in Baytown, Texas.

Redus, who graduated as co-valedictorian from Baytown Christian Academy, would have graduated from UIW in May.

"We are understandably devastated by the death of our dear son Cameron and we ask for your prayers as we deal with our tragic loss," his family said in a statement, according to MySanAntonio.com. "We trust that God is faithful and will see us through this most difficult time."

RELATED: EASTERN MICHIGAN FOOTBALL PLAYER FOUND SHOT TO DEATHImage
KTRK

The incident and university cop’s actions are under investigation.

A student vigil is scheduled for Saturday night at the Grotto on campus as the shocked communities continue to process Redus' sudden death.

"He's not an aggressive person at all, so the story just doesn't really make sense to any of us," Sarah Davis, one of Redus' friends, told KTRK.

An investigation is ongoing, and Carter has reportedly been put on paid administrative leave.

With New Wire Services

vtaylor@nydailynews.com

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/c ... -1.1540813
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Re: Cop-Rage: LEOs-as-Aggressors Master Thread

Postby conniption » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:16 pm

Reason

How Do You Charge an Unarmed Man with Shooting People? Get the NYPD Involved.

Scott Shackford|Dec. 5, 2013

In September, New York Police officers responded to an emotionally disturbed man causing a ruckus at a Times Square bus terminal by opening fire on him while they were surrounded by crowds and traffic. They missed him and hit two innocent bystanders (one of whom was in a walker). Police said at the time they thought the man, Glenn Broadnax, was reaching for a gun, but he turned out to be unarmed.

Even though Broadnax was not armed, an indictment unsealed Wednesday is charging him with assault for the injuries caused by police gunfire. From the New York Times:

The man, Glenn Broadnax, 35, of Brooklyn, created a disturbance on Sept. 14, wading into traffic at 42nd Street and Eighth Avenue and throwing himself into the path of oncoming cars.

A curious crowd grew. Police officers arrived and tried to corral Mr. Broadnax, a 250-pound man. When he reached into his pants pocket, two officers, who, the police said, thought he was pulling a gun, opened fire, missing Mr. Broadnax, but hitting two nearby women. Finally, a police sergeant knocked Mr. Broadnax down with a Taser. …

Initially Mr. Broadnax was arrested on misdemeanor charges of menacing, drug possession and resisting arrest. But the Manhattan district attorney’s office persuaded a grand jury to charge Mr. Broadnax with assault, a felony carrying a maximum sentence of 25 years. Specifically, the nine-count indictment unsealed on Wednesday said Mr. Broadnax “recklessly engaged in conduct which created a grave risk of death.”

“The defendant is the one that created the situation that injured innocent bystanders,” said an assistant district attorney, Shannon Lucey.

Broadnax was taken to Bellevue Hospital after they got him down and told police he was hearing voices of dead relatives and was trying to commit suicide. But a psychologist has nevertheless found him competent to stand trial.

One of the women shot by the police is absolutely not having it:

Mariann Wang, a lawyer representing Sahar Khoshakhlagh, one of the women who was wounded, said the district attorney should be pursuing charges against the two officers who fired their weapons in a crowd, not against Mr. Broadnax. “It’s an incredibly unfortunate use of prosecutorial discretion to be prosecuting a man who didn’t even injure my client,” she said. “It’s the police who injured my client.”

New York City spends hundreds of millions of dollars every year settling claims against the city (though not all are tied to police behavior). Despite trying to redirect responsibility Broadnax’s way, it should not be a surprise to see six figures or more of city money heading in the direction of Khoshakhlagh and the other woman shot.

The following article has been added to this thread, for contrast:

aljazeera

Gunman killed in rare Iceland police shooting

December 3, 2013

Incident marks the first time in nation's history armed police have killed someone.

Iceland

Iceland, which has a population of only 320,000, has a low crime rate and gun violence is extremely rare.

Police in Iceland said Monday they shot dead a gunman — the first time armed police have killed someone in the nation's history.

Iceland, which has a small population of around 320,000, has a low crime rate and gun violence is extremely rare. Its regular police force does not carry firearms.

Haraldur Johannessen, National Commissioner of the Icelandic Police, said Monday's incident was unprecedented.

Police said they "deeply regret the incident, and want to extend our sympathies to the family of the victim," the Reykjavik Grapevine reported.

Police said officers were called to an apartment in the Reykjavik suburb of Arbaer early Monday when a man fired a shotgun from inside the residence. Two policemen, who were not armed, were shot at when trying to enter.

Witnesses told local media that a smoke bomb was thrown into the apartment through a broken window in efforts to subdue the man. A special armed unit then entered and fired at the man, who was rushed to the hospital, where he died. No one else was injured.

"All available members of the police force were deployed, and they tried to subdue him, but it was not successful," Reykjavik Metropolitan Police Commissioner Stefan Eiriksson told a press conference, according to local media website Visir. "The man began to shoot out the window of the apartment and it was decided to take action."

According to Visir, Iceland’s armed police force has responded to similar cases of gun violence in the past, when people with firearms would shoot wildly or hole themselves up in houses, but Monday’s shooting represents the first time police have taken a suspect’s life.

The motives of the man, who has not been named, are unclear. According to RUV, Iceland's national television station, the gunman was a man in his fifties and had been making threats to his neighbors.

Shotguns for hunting are legal in Iceland. Many Icelanders believe that the country rarely sees gun violence in part because handguns are banned.

Al Jazeera and The Associated Press
conniption

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Iamwhomiam » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:03 pm

Cameron Redus last heard words: "What, you're going to shoot me?"
Iamwhomiam

Postby elfismiles » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:42 am

Iamwhomiam » 11 Dec 2013 22:03 wrote:Cameron Redus last heard words: "What, you're going to shoot me?"

Sarcastic Remark Gets Student Killed During Traffic Stop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaklKsILrsA

"A Texas college student likely died from a gunshot wound to his back after making a sarcastic remark to the campus police officer who killed him.

Autopsy results show 23-year-old Cameron Redus was shot five times at close range by Cpl. Christopher Carter, a University of Incarnate Word police officer, during an early morning Dec. 6 traffic stop near the San Antonio campus.

KENS-TV reported that the autopsy performed the following day showed Redus, a student at the private Catholic university, was shot in the back, left eye, upper chest, left elbow, and right hip."* Ana Kasparian, Jimmy Dore (TYTComedy), Desi Doyen (Green News Report) and John Iadarola (TYT University) break it down on The Young Turks.

*Read more here from Travis Gettys / Raw Story:
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/03/21/a ... ents-back/
elfismiles

Postby slimmouse » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:20 am

There's rarely a day goes by on the Icke news headlines, where threre isn't at least one example of this kind of psycopathic behaviour by states-wide LEO's.

looking through the said headlines, you could probably capture an impressive, ongoing data dump.
slimmouse

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby DrEvil » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:50 pm

Shotguns for hunting are legal in Iceland. Many Icelanders believe that the country rarely sees gun violence in part because handguns are banned.

This is not a belief, it's a fact. That so many people have so much trouble getting this blindingly obvious fact into their heads is a constant source of bafflement to me.

The US has the most heavily armed civilian population in the world, no one else is even close (About 80 guns per 100 people if I remember correctly. Yemen is in second place with about 50 per 100 people), and whaddayouknow - the US also has the highest murder rate of any developed country.

I wonder if there's a connection.. :?
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Postby conniption » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:00 pm

RT

Toddler burned by SWAT grenade faces another surgery, as police defend raid

Published time: June 02, 2014

Reuters / Stephen Lam

The toddler severely burned and left unable to breathe on his own when a Georgia SWAT team threw a flashbang grenade in his crib during a Thursday drug raid is preparing for another surgery on Monday… all for a single meth sale of $50.

Bounkham “Bou Bou” Phonesavanh, a 19-month-old, was asleep in his portable crib in the same room as his parents and three older sisters, when police opened the door to the converted garage and threw the stun grenade in. It landed in the crib with Bou Bou.

The flashbang opened up a deep gash in Bou Bou’s chest and caused severe burns. Now his family says the toddler is fighting for his life in a medically induced coma, has lost the use of one lung and is unable to breathe on his own. He faces more surgeries, and it is uncertain if he will even live. On Friday, his chances of survival were listed at 50 percent.

The multi-jurisdictional Georgia SWAT team was executing a no-knock warrant at 3 a.m. on the home where a confidential informant had purchased drugs earlier in the day. The CI said he bought methamphetamine from Wanis Thometheva there on Tuesday. Police told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that investigators had discovered Thometheva had weapons (including an AK-47) during a previous arrest on drug charges.

But a public official, speaking on condition of anonymity, told the Washington Post the raid was conducted over a single meth sale of $50.

continued - RT
conniption

Postby JackRiddler » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:19 pm

This thread is a great idea, I hope it sticks.

Maybe the title needs to be more easily accessible? Like, Police Brutality Compilation Thread? Although I think your terms are actually more accurate: Cop-Rage and LEOs as Aggressors.
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby elfismiles » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:15 pm

Hat tip to our host Jeff.

http://www.FatalEncounters.org

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... ring#gid=0

What I've Learned from Two Years Collecting Data on Police Killings
D. Brian Burghart
8/22/14 1:25pm
http://gawker.com/what-ive-learned-from ... 1625472836

Nowhere could I find out how many people died during interactions with police in the United States. Try as I might, I just couldn't wrap my head around that idea. How was it that, in the 21st century, this data wasn't being tracked, compiled, and made available to the public? How could journalists know if police were killing too many people in their town if they didn't have a way to compare to other cities? Hell, how could citizens or police? How could cops possibly know "best practices" for dealing with any fluid situation? They couldn't.

The bottom line was that I found the absence of such a library of police killings offensive. And so I decided to build it. I'm still building it. But I could use some help. You can find my growing database of deadly police violence here, at Fatal Encounters, and I invite you to go here, research one of the listed shootings, fill out the row, and change its background color. It'll take you about 25 minutes. There are thousands to choose from, and another 2,000 or so on my cloud drive that I haven't even added yet. After I fact-check and fill in the cracks, your contribution will be added to largest database about police violence in the country. Feel free to check out what has been collected about your locale's information here.

The biggest thing I've taken away from this project is something I'll never be able to prove, but I'm convinced to my core: The lack of such a database is intentional. No government—not the federal government, and not the thousands of municipalities that give their police forces license to use deadly force—wants you to know how many people it kills and why.

But race is always germane when police kill somebody.

This is the most most heinous thing I've learned in my two years compiling Fatal Encounters. You know who dies in the most population-dense areas? Black men. You know who dies in the least population dense areas? Mentally ill men. It's not to say there aren't dangerous and desperate criminals killed across the line. But African-Americans and the mentally ill people make up a huge percentage of people killed by police.

And if you want to get down to nut-cuttin' time, across the board, it's poor people who are killed by police. (And by the way, around 96 percent of people killed by police are men.)
elfismiles

Postby elfismiles » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:21 pm

Accused San Antonio Rapist Cop Shot

Cop Who Raped Handcuffed Girl, Has Been Shot by Woman — Officials Suggest Shooting Was Vengeance

Matt Agorist | The Free Thought Project

San Antonio, TX — Officer Jackie Neal of the San Antonio PD, has been on paid vacation for the last year and a half for accusations of crimes that his chief referred to as “unthinkable.” After evidence linked him to this vile crime, he’s still been receiving his over-deserved salary of $62,556.00.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAYOv7MrL84

Neal, 40, was in full uniform, in a marked squad car and on-duty when he made a traffic stop on a Friday morning in November of 2013. He then proceeded to sexually assault a 19-year-old woman, according to the San Antonio Police Department.

He forced the young woman to bend over, with her face in the rear seat of the police car. He pulled her pants and underwear down to her ankles and sexually assaulted her, according to the complaint. At that point, Neal admonished her that if she told anyone, he would know where to find her and drove off, leaving her standing there.

Thursday night, Neal was shot in the neck by an unnamed female assailant. He is currently in critical condition.

While the name of the woman in custody has not yet been released, police suggested that the incident was linked to the earlier rape allegations, says News4SanAntonio.

The shooting happened at Neal’s home in the 9100 block of Arroyo Hondo in Helotes, Texas. Police were called to the scene shortly after 7 pm on Thursday and found Neal with a bullet wound in his neck.

In January of last year, the woman claiming to be raped by Neal filed a $10 million lawsuit in the U.S. District Court in San Antonio. She named the Neal, Police Chief William McManus and the city as defendants.

According to the complaint, Neal had been suspended for three days in September, stemming from “a morally reprehensible and inappropriate” relationship with a female high school student enrolled in the Police Explorer Program. Neal was an advisor to the program in which students learn about police work, according to the Houston Chronicle.

The complaint alleged that Neal had sexual relations with the girl, who was an 18-year-old high school senior when the relationship ended in February 2013.

Judging from the past allegations against Neal, the shooter could have been any number of former female victims.

http://filmingcops.com/cop-who-raped-ha ... vengeance/
elfismiles

Postby Grizzly » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:34 am

http://www.thejournal.ie/jenchesky-sant ... 2-Dec2015/
WATCH: US cop places gun in black man’s mouth ‘to show off to his friends’

“I dare you to f**king fight me, son…I just came from Iraq and I’m not scared of none of y’all.”

Fuck.

Prince George’s County Police Chief Mark Magaw called Santiago’s behaviour “flagrant, appalling and isolated.”

Fucking blatant lying cock helmet.
“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Postby backtoiam » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:43 pm

Patterns are a funny thing. The increase in "civil forfeiture" and absolute police violent beat down stomping of the "civilians" are coinciding. "Coincide" meaning events that occur in proximity to one another.

"Coincidence" is a strange word.
"A mind stretched by a new idea can never return to it's original dimensions." Oliver Wendell Holmes
backtoiam

Postby elfismiles » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:09 pm

WHOOPS...

Vietnam Vet Biker Hostage Killed by Cops Was Trying to Run Free
Featured, Police Brutality
December 7, 2015
http://truthvoice.com/2015/12/vietnam-v ... -run-free/
elfismiles

Return to General Discussion